View Poll Results: What did you think of Crippled Summer?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: timmy!

5 12.50%
  • 4/5: down like a clown, charlie brown

17 42.50%
  • 3/5: you're just a hooker and i need to get laid

7 17.50%
  • 2/5: stupid butthole christopher reeve

7 17.50%
  • 1/5: I mean...come on

4 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R&R South Park "Crippled Summer"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

R&R South Park "Crippled Summer"

jimmy and timmy head to summer camp. nobody mentions muhammed.

discuss.

Blog Entries

It was mildly amusing through out and dint offend my intolerant religious views once, so everybody wins! Handicap kids coming off as classic cartoon characters was cool. I spotted....
    Porky
    Beaky Buzzard
    Elmer Fudd
    Droopy
    Pete Puma
    Bugsy & Mugsy (I think? .. alot of big dumb guy/little bossy guy combos have floated around Warner bro cartoons)

I recently watched "The Drawn Together Movie", and the surrounding idea of the film is about how intolerant the idea that crude and perverse humor can be truly worthy and ideal only if it is accompanied by relevant social commentary is, with the south park being the main example. well, this episode proves that matt and trey are still not above creating pure hysterical, python-esque hilarity that is just there to be funny.

it wasn't a total home run (sort of got a little old in the end), but nearly everything just worked. I loved the handicapped kids as classic Looney Tunes characters, and the whole nathan/mimsy stuff was just great goofy fun. (especially with the random shark rape) the whole intervention parody, as I mentioned, started to run dry, but it had plenty of great moments, such as towlie inhaling computer duster and cartman reading an anti-semitic novel on air. kyle's letter to towlie ("I saw you go from a lame ancillary character with a couple of catchphrases...") was another highlight. also I loved how it was tied in with the camp plot such as having towlie work there and the info cards accompanying nathan and mimsy.

I know that "anti-episodes" such as this one are a bit polarizing, but hey, this was just some good old-fashioned archaic fun. after the whole mohammed controversy, this was just what we needed.

4/5
    Last edited by Ryan; 04-28-2010 at 10:21 PM.

Hired Goon

i thought the intervention parody was cleverly done, especially when it was worked in during the scenes not involving towelie. it did kind of run dry, as the artist formerly known as homer5000 said, but still... the episode was funny, and nothing more needs to be stated about something that makes me laugh

4/5

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanGLC View Post
    I recently watched "The Drawn Together Movie", and the surrounding idea of the film is about how intolerant the idea that crude and perverse humor can be truly worthy and ideal only if it is accompanied by relevant social commentary is, with the south park being the main example. well, this episode proves that matt and trey are still not above creating pure hysterical, python-esque hilarity that is just there to be funny.

it wasn't a total home run (sort of got a little old in the end), but nearly everything just worked. I loved the handicapped kids as classic Looney Tunes characters, and the whole nathan/mimsy stuff was just great goofy fun. (especially with the random shark rape) the whole intervention parody, as I mentioned, started to run dry, but it had plenty of great moments, such as towlie inhaling computer duster and cartman reading an anti-semitic novel on air. kyle's letter to towlie ("I saw you go from a lame ancillary character with a couple of catchphrases...") was another highlight. also I loved how it was tied in with the camp plot such as having towlie work there and the info cards accompanying nathan and mimsy.

I know that "anti-episodes" such as this one are a bit polarizing, but hey, this was just some good old-fashioned archaic fun. after the whole mohammed controversy, this was just what we needed.

4/5
    Totally agree. This and Medicinal Fried Chicken were the two big great examples this season of South Park just being ridiculous and hilarious like in the older days.

Tonight's episode was so back-to-basics greatness. This could have aired in seasons 5-8 if I didn't know any better (and if Intervention existed then). Having seen enough episodes of Intervention, this was especially hilarious. And great to see so many characters in the spotlight tonight. Season 14's first half was a huge winner in my books, which is really impressive after how lousy I found season 13.
    Last edited by Tomacco; 04-28-2010 at 10:37 PM.
    Signature.

Blog Entries

It was good. It was. God knows they need to get into a groove of good episodes for this season to stand out and prove this show doesn't need to end gracefully.

I enjoyed how subtle the switch from the Intervention interruptions switched from Towelie to the retard camp. Very nicely implemented. Aside from classic cartoon shennanigans backfiring, the plot sucked. It had funny SCENES. But nobody, even Matt and Trey, give a shit about towelie and Jimmy standing on his own legs was awkward and felt ....I don't know.

Retarded.

I loved the two previous episodes but didn't enjoy this one.
    I found the Intervention gags broke the flow too much, without delivering sufficient comedy to compensate.

3,5/5 didn't work as well as I expect it, but I wouldn't mind watching it again my main beef is with the camp attic that seem to go nowhere and had pretty cheap gag

TyrantTakesIceBucketChall enge D DEBBS's Avatar

2/5 I wish Trey and Matt focused on Nathan than Towelie.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Pretty funny, with several good gags from both stories. The weaker one was definitely Towelie's, which was just sort of unpleasant sometimes (not a fan of him being ornery and high). Nathan vs. Jimmy was fun, though, and the "classic cartoons" feel to the storyline (and references) kept things lighthearted throughout.

B, 4/5

After a very weak premiere, this season suddenly stepped it up, and ended up being one of the strongest half-seasons of the past several years. Perhaps the best since 10-A. Keep up the good work guys!
    My Nintendo webcomic,

but i'm a vampire General Jack D. Ripper's Avatar

I can't believe everyone's rating this so high. I despised it. They used the same jokes over and over and over again, worse than usual even. Jimmy's story was just having Nathan giving instructions and Mimsy getting them wrong so it backfires on Nathan. It became so predictable and not even funny. Towelie's an annoying character, and a b plot about him was stupid as well. He's a towel that does drugs and sucks dicks...ok. The intervention screens explaining stuff got really old really fast. There were a couple good jokes, like Cartman's letter about Jews and dish towel, but overall, I thought it was god awful. It definitely needed more Jimmy and Timmy. 1/5

This was pretty hilarious. I like how they used their original Towelie idea from "A Million Little Fibers" that was unwisely pushed aside at the time.

4/5

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

haha wow, I remember a time when my Wednesday nights revolved around downloading a new episode as fast as possible. Last night I completely forgot about this one until the thread actually showed up.

That said, pretty good. It did rely on the same joke over and over, but the joke held up. True, the Intervention screens constantly coming up did start to get annoying - and I've never watched that show before, so - but them still coming up for Nathan's plot when Towelie wasn't around anymore was awesome, and some great wording ("There appears to have been a miscommunication" or "The Tardicaca shark's penis is 9 inches long") kept it great.

I was surprised we got as little of Jimmy and Timmy as we did, but thankful for it, really. It really ended up working out. The Towelie plot was definitely the weaker of the two but at least structurally, when put together, the two plots worked out well enough occupying the same twenty minutes.

Definitely one of their better non-episodes, and entirely deserved considering the past few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by General Jack D. Ripper View Post
    I can't believe everyone's rating this so high. I despised it. They used the same jokes over and over and over again, worse than usual even. Jimmy's story was just having Nathan giving instructions and Mimsy getting them wrong so it backfires on Nathan. It became so predictable and not even funny.
    firstly, yes, they did the standard repetition of the joke that they always do (come on, who's going to deny this?), but it all matters on execution. here, they didn't just simply reuse the same punchline exactly, but twisted it in different ways. secondly, the nathan/mimsy plot was an mgm/looney tunes parody/homage, taking from many cartoons where a straight man character would be obliviously targeted by a bumbling villainous duo. of course, the idiot sidekick/henchman would often screw things up and wind up doing harm to the main villain. of course, it was ratcheted up here to the usual south park crude factor at the end, with shark rape and nathan's realistic burn injuries. but if you're familiar with those, the jokes work ten times as better.

of course, like I said, anti-episodes are slightly polarizing. I'm surprised this one got as good of a reception as it did.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyPalooza View Post
    This was pretty hilarious. I like how they used their original Towelie idea from "A Million Little Fibers" that was unwisely pushed aside at the time.
    yeah, I just remembered that today. apparently the "cripple summer camp" plot was also an unused idea from season 13, so matt and trey probably just sandwiched the two together and let themselves have a breather this week. amazing that it worked so well.

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

This episode didn't work for me at all. I'm surprised everyone likes it, because it didn't just seem misguided...the jokes were also really lame. Cartman at the intervention...ugh. 1/5
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

but i'm a vampire General Jack D. Ripper's Avatar

I understood the homage, it was really clear. I just didn't think they added anything worthwhile to it (save making it more crude), and it really just became painfully predictable and should've somehow changed at least once. I have liked many of the anti episodes in the past, but this one just didn't work at all.

Eh. 2/5. I'm not a big Towlie fan and I never have been, I would have liked it much better if it were just at the camp handicapable but a lot of the humor did kinda fall a bit flat to me, but I'm not in the greatest moods this week either. It did kinda seem like an episode meant to retire the Towlie character though. If it's the case its sort of interesting, first they kill of Pip then this.

I'm just glad Matt and Trey arn't dead or something, assuming all that bullshit was real.

Fight Fire With Fire Dehumanizer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fantastic episode! Was nice to see the return of Towlie, when was the last time he was in an episode? I don't even remember. Not much else to say other than it was a hilarious episode, great gags/jokes and really funny throughout. Good episode to sort of calm the tide after the last two week's controversies. South Park keeping strong! Looking forward to next week's episode!

Overall Rating: 4/5

HOW MUCH WERE MY SHARES DILUT Kamerica's Avatar

show officially sucks now

Blog Entries

Also, it was the mid-season finale. Worst season ever so far? Simpsons 12+ territory?

Also, everyone who liked this supports the bestial rape of the mentally handicapped.

That is all.

HOW MUCH WERE MY SHARES DILUT Kamerica's Avatar

every good joke this season has come from the animation department.

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

I thought this was dull and repetitive. I mean a lot of SP's humour recently has come from being repetitive but this was ridiculous.

The Towelie half of the plot had almost no jokes, nor was there any payoff at the end. It just stopped.

The Three Stooges thing was barely funny the first time and just got worse and worse. There was hardly any Jimmy or Timmy in the episode anyway...they are much funnier.

For me this was a fun episode, and a nice way to end the first half of the season. I am not a massive fan of Towlie however he seemed to fit into the episode fine enough, I just really liked the whole main plot as simple as it was I found it effective. Not a classic, but there were enough jokes in the main plot to make it worthy of being deemed a great episode 4/5

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips View Post
    Also, everyone who liked this supports the bestial rape of the mentally handicapped.
    Ridiculous comment

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips View Post
    Also, it was the mid-season finale. Worst season ever so far? Simpsons 12+ territory?

That is all.
    *slap*

Shut up, Mimsyyyyyy...

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Granto

To the book depository! burnin''s Avatar

i never come into towlie episodes with any expectations of it being good so i was pleasantly surprised that this was decent. old cartoon characters was great, towlie stuff was boring but it usually is. 3.5/5

They need to retire Towelie. He was never that funny to begin with.

Everything else was great.

4.0/5

who didnt find mimsy funny? love that guy, he should be in more episodes

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

I can't believe so many people didn't like this! It felt like a season 5-8 episode to me. Would you rather have this or yet another conspiracy/current events episode?? This only proves to me that the show is so much better when they aren't doing current events.

The whole summer camp story was a repetitive format because it was a parody of old Looney Tunes shorts. Towelie's story wasn't as funny, but the way the Intervention "facts" carried over into the summer camp story worked really well and was clever. I loved how they were basically just stating what just happened, but somehow it was funny.

I just found it kinda boring, but like I said I'm not a fan of the Towlie character. The segments at camp were way better, I probably would have liked it better if it were just about that myself.

Thread Information