7 4.35%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "The Squirt and the Whale" MABF14

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "The Squirt and the Whale" MABF14

The Squirt and the Whale (MABF14)
    Homer puts up a windmill to generate electricity, but when he discovers that the power becomes part of the general power grid, he disconnects the house from the grid; Homer and Lisa try to save a grounded whale

*Cry* so cute

Ok more seriously , this was a suprisngly good episode thought I wished the wind turbine would have been relevant at the end and the last act goes a little bit too over the top as to wheterer with the comedy.

Still 4/5

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

it was OK. i didn't like the first act, and homer's speech at the end was too stupid for me to enjoy. but i liked lisa trying to save the whale but it ultimately dying. 4/5 or so, the only things i disliked were the first act having some weird gags {homer getting injured a couple times like the garage door}, and the ending

Great episode imo. I did not see this coming after the reign of mediocre and terrible episodes that plagued the majority of Season 21. Chief of Hearts was a good episode too.

The characterization was pretty good and Lisa seemed very much like Lisa. While the majority of the episode was comical, but the Lisa-Bluella relationship was rather nice.

Homer wasn't overly stupid and him trying to comfort Lisa didn't seem to fake. I enjoyed it.

Overall I'd give it a solid 4/5

I am your big brother

Junior Camper

I really enjoyed it. 4 out of 5.

Junior Camper

4/5

It was real good. Not much to say that hasn't been repeated. I just loved that Blackboard. "South Park, we'd stand by you if we weren't so scared" LOL

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Better than I expected. I nearly cried when the whale died. I give it a 3/5.

Blog Entries

Good episode, not one of the top of the season but perfectly serviceable and about as good as could be done with this plot without turning it into some sort of hamfisted environmental statement

The wind power part at the beginning was certainly tangential, but there were some good jokes (hey, Homer sleeping hanging from a garage door is a cheap sight gag, but it's a good cheap sight gag, so you won't hear me bitching), and it provided as good a lead-in to the main story as your average Season 10 setpiece (a lot of times those were more interesting than the main plot, but I digress). Lisa finding the whale set off the main plot, and for the most part the jokes still worked well (although I think the first act break would have been a lot funnier if it had gone out on Bart's "Ay carumba" for some reason). The primary reason I liked this episode, however, was Homer. He was genuinely a good guy trying to help his daughter through the main part of the episode, and that's the kind of Homer characterization I love--he's stupid, and can still be a bit of an ass on impulse ("go away, you unwanted moron!"), but overall he's a good guy trying to do the best he can for his family, and I love episodes that play off the Homer-Lisa dynamic--how Homer is willing to go out of his way for something he clearly doesn't give a fuck about just to make his daughter feel better. The ending was a little weird, but it tied up the plot well enough, got the environmental message in without being too forced, and provided probably my favorite line of the episode ("A baby whale? My diet is working!") Overall, like I said, not going to stand out in my mind when I look back at the season, but when the season comes out on DVD in eight years it'll be a pleasant surprise when I see it again. 13/15

Oh, and the opening Tic-Tac-Toe movie advertisement was one of the best movie ads on the show for a long time
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

2/5 I do agree that it did get a little better towards the end. Lisa's dream was pointless. Why is Homer so dumb and obnoxious now?! None of his constant one-liners were funny and why doesn't Marge give a shit anymore?

The "X-Cellent" episode was fairly good in my opinion, but Wiggum's episode was boring. I think I'm finally willing to say, RIP good Simpsons episodes.

Blog Entries

A whale stuck on the beach? There's an app for that!

Hmm...couch gag. Too long. Would've been funny if the furniture store was called: "Sofa Kingdom"

Anyway, the story starts of moderately amusing, but it became downright predictable after cutting ties to the power company....hmm...I wonder if the power is going to go off in a few seconds? Thankfully, this part of the story was over quickly, despite the run-into-the ground "intermittent" gags.

Okay, so the windy intro-plot is over, but the whale story lands on the scene and it's looking like a potential whale of a tale. But like "Blue-Ella-Whatever" this story felt beached. At first, the story takes a reasonable dark turn, but the ensuing act takes any of the weight out of the story and is a bunch of whacky nothing. They should've had some balls and tried to rescue the whale, minus the shark scene, and then have "Blu-Ella" die at the last second. Sure it would've been sombre, but it would've been orginal at least.

As it stands, "Squirt" is tad better than the last five episodes, but any hopes of S21 having another genuinely entertaining episode are as dead as beached whale blubber.

2.5/5 D+

Blog Entries

I didn't get a good look at this episode, but from what I saw, I'd have to give it a B+ (3/5). I really need to rewatch. I like their play on the Florence, Oregon "Whale Explosion" incident. I always figured Springfield was in Oregon.

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

many jokes were explained to the point that they weren't funny and it became way too predictable somewhere around the second act.
    not terrible but not terribly great either.

C-

...and I facepalm so hard Little Nellie Kelly's Avatar

I think this episode turned out fantastic. I loved the premise of Lisa trying to rescue the whale, but I hated the premise of the Simpson family getting wind-power energy. This episode features one of the saddest, if not the saddest, moment in Simpson history, which is of course, Bluella the whale dying. The first hilarious moment in this sad, sad episode is when Homer is using the power saw, and then the power goes out. Homer decides to take a nap, and the power comes back on. Homer is taken to the power saw, and his head is being cut. Another hilarious moment in this sad episode is when Homer yells to Bart, while trying to comfort Lisa, “I’m trying to be a sensitive father, you unwanted moron!” As I have a somewhat crude humor, I thought that was hilarious. I loved the moment when Lisa is at Bluella’s ditch (where Bluella lied during her beached process), and she hears whale calls. She looks out to the shore, and sees Bluella’s children. However, suddenly, sharks come and are ready to eat the whales. Homer then says a hilarious line, saying that, after Lisa says nature is just taking place and she can’t do anything, “Nature is a toothless, dying hag!” That line is partly true, as she is a dying hag. As Homer tries to save the whales, he pulls out a whale harpoon, which I ultimately laughed at. Homer, after Lisa says they cannot kill other animals to save another animal after hearing eco-activists say so, falls in and is trailed by the sharks. Lisa shouts that Homer must look like a whale calf to them, and we shift to the most hilarious moment of the episode, which is Homer looking exactly like a whale calf from the shark’s point of view, and he states: “Baby whale? How could that be?” Homer then shouts another hilarious line, saying “Why couldn’t I have been eaten by a giraffe? That would’ve been cool.” The eco-activists shout to Homer, giving him a bucket of chum to get the sharks away (or just for them to eat him faster), Homer is ultimately hit in the head with the bucket, causing him to bleed. Homer is then saved by the father whale, and is taken back to shore. Homer suggests that, after Lisa asks if they will be alright, he is a young whale with two cute kids, and he’ll meet a lady octopus soon, and he senses a whaleopus soon. The end of the episode was touching, showing drawings of the events Homer described. It shows the whale and the children, the whale meeting the octopus, the whale and the octopus playing with the whaleopus, the woman whaleopus’ wedding, and the 50th wedding anniversary for the whale and the octopus. Anyways, I hope you all watched this episode, because I did.

My Overall Rating: 5/5.

Junior Camper

I give it a 4/5 because it definitely had its moments. There are a couple things that bothered me, and maybe my facts are incorrect, in which case someone please correct me.

First, can blue whales actually jump in the ocean? They made them flip like dolphins but blue whales are huge, even babies. It doesn't seem like they could jump out of the water.
    Second, the sharks just randomly went after homer. it wasn't until after he received the gash to the head (which mysteriously disappeared the next frame) that they became furious. Did that bother anyone else?? Seems like a cheat to me.

otherwise awesome episode

Wow. I was really surprised. I was not expecting this episode to be much at all. What it turned out to be was an exciting, fun, and touching episode. For the first time this season I enjoyed Lisa. I felt really bad for her when the whale died. This episode also had its share of laughs. Definately one of the better episodes of the season. 4/5

I enjoyed it and thought it was a good episode. Still what prevents me from giving this episode a 5 or even a 4 was that it had a lot of the flaws that have plagued this season and other post-classic seasons.

3/5
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Blog Entries

That was possibly the best episode of Season 21.

2/5.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

I thought the first half of the episode was much stronger than the second half. The part with the sharks and the whale's children didn't really add much and felt a bit tacked on. Characterizations were pretty good and even though Homer was a tad annoying, it didn't really take away too much.

I missed the Tic-Tac-Toe thing. Heard it was hysterical though.

Let's go C+, or 3/5

FINALLY!! .. A whale episode i can watch and watch and rewatch in syndication. Sharks need love also, I'm proud to finally hear folks admit it on a TV sitcom,.. long over due.
    Big wind mills are here to stay, a wind storm took Homers out of the picture but I'll never forget that he once had one,... I wont,.. I swear it!!
    5/5!

The first half of the episode was pretty good and I gave this episode a 4/5 but I have some thoughts about the last half. I was quite surprised that lisa's wale died after the funny dream with the t-shirts and stuff. Kinda unhappy for a Simpsons episode. The BIG problem I had with this episode was the line from Homer “I’m trying to be a sensitive father, you unwanted moron!”. That was a new low that I've ever seen from the Simpsons and I stopped watching quickly after that. It hit to close to home for me and since I'm quite a sensitive type that felt really depressing.

Overall good episode but crossed the line for me. 4/5

Quote Originally Posted by Xt'Tapalatakettle View Post
    I missed the Tic-Tac-Toe thing. Heard it was hysterical though.
    Ya it was. It was so stupid, but thats what made it funny. Its so corny when the girl cries out "Tic-tac-no!!!!!" Pretty funny stuff.

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Wiggs View Post
    Ya it was. It was so stupid, but thats what made it funny. Its so corny when the girl cries out "Tic-tac-no!!!!!" Pretty funny stuff.
    With the horrible episode titles these past few seasons it makes me wonder if those puns were actually intended to be over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsancton View Post
    There are a couple things that bothered me, and maybe my facts are incorrect, First, can blue whales actually jump in the ocean? They made them flip like dolphins but blue whales are huge, even babies. It doesn't seem like they could jump out of the water
    They try their best, but their best ain't good enough!

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Yeah, not that great.

It's obvious that there wasn't really enough substance to the whale story, considering the episode started off with a long couch gag, a completely unrelated first act that was unnecessary to the episode's main plot and was never even revisited and resolved, and hackneyed, unrealistically delivered bits thrown right in. Homer shows up out of absolutely nowhere, taking me out of any moment and just drawing it to my attention that, yeah, the show is scripted. It's hard to properly get into something when the writing is so crappy you can't even follow it along naturally. Homer just has to show up because it's a Lisa-Homer episode and he wants to make Lisa feel better so of course he's going to come even though there's no logical explanation for it, nothing earlier in the episode to hint that Homer would be interested in buying a boat, absolutely dick. From the episode club this week and Stu's point on how brilliantly inter-connected everything in Marge on the Lam was... Yeah, this episode was the opposite of that. Not to mention the fact that the baby whales and the sharks showing up were clearly just a ploy to extend for time, because they still need to have something happen (except resolve the wind power plot, of course).

A few good lines or sight gags, but nothing terribly memorable. As far as the whale plot goes, the one excellent point was Lisa's dream - not to mention the whale jumping amongst the stars was beautiful - and then the act break to the crushing reality. That was well-done. The rest of it wasn't.

I really liked the characterization of Homer in this episode for the most part, and the gruelling reality behind the removal of Bluella's carcass was somewhat touching but how her husband and kids would move on gave hope (plus the octopus/whale hybrid bit gave me a chuckle). Unfortunatelly, the Zii returned, but at least it didn't last too long and was humorous how Bart and Lisa were whacking eachother with their Wii (ahem "Zii") Motes.

4/5.
    Last edited by Snaked; 04-25-2010 at 06:01 PM.

The reality is that both your post and his should be bannable offenses. Pure ignorance about the show's current-day content is just as offensive as wearing blinders to mediocrity and openly praising everything.
    - Brad Lascelle,
    even if I don't agree on a post like mine in which I did not watch a new episode of OFF and still give it a negative rating should result in banning

That was by far the best episode of the season 5/5

The jokes worked consistently, the plot worked well, not really any complaints.

homer's speech at the end was too stupid for me to enjoy
    It was a reference to Lisa's Pony.

Lisa's Pony (paraphrase)
    Lisa: There's another big dumb animal I love even more.
    Homer: *groan* what is it a hippopotamus?
    Lisa: No dad its you!

*hug*

The Squirt and the Whale
    Lisa: Thanks for not letting me give up dad.
    Homer: I'd do anything for a sweet intelligent mammal, by which I mean you.

*hug*
    Last edited by UndeadSamurai01; 04-25-2010 at 08:31 PM.

Blog Entries

This episode is sort of hard for me to rate, because it was a weird episode. I did like how they showed a different side of Homer, sort of. It just seemed like they abandoned the family living off the grid story too soon, they really could have developed it better. Episode felt sort of rushed and just didn't seem to have much substance to it.

There were a few good jokes here and there, but none of them made me laugh out loud. I did thoroughly enjoy the Tic-Tac-Toe movie advertisement though, thought that was great, no matter how over the top it seemed.

Overall Rating: 2.5/5 (3 for the poll)

This episode had one really great moment that was unfortunately wrapped around a lot of fluff.

The first act as a whole was very disposable. It wasn't terrible and had a few good jokes, but in the end I was hoping that somehow the environmentalism of the wind power lifestyle would be some driving force behind what would the family did next. However, that wasn't the case, the episode could have started with the whale on the beach.

I will say however, that the second act was pretty good. I liked the foreshadowing in how Lisa would be crushed by something out of her league, and it was nice to see the town try to help the creature. Lisa's quieter moments with the whale were also quite adorable, and all in all it served as a great contrast to the tragedy that would happen. I was genuinely surprised to see the whale's rescue was all a dream, and when that whale died, it was truly heartbreaking. In retrospect I can only imagine how much more heartbreaking it would have been though, if this had happened after more buildup, if we had been given two or even three acts to see Lisa bonding with the whale before it died (thus getting rid of the unrelated first act), it would have been even more powerful. However, I can't complain too much with the death scene because it was effective.

What I can complain about however, is where the story went next, which is nowhere. The third act was basically just one joke after another about Lisa feeling sad, or the tasteless things being done with the whale's remains, and none of these jokes were particularly memorable. The fourth act was even worse with a very contrived climax topped with an even more contrived deus ex machina. As far as I can tell, the episode should have just ended with the whale dying. It would have been much more effective and original, and we wouldn't have had to put up with all the filler around it. Instead however, there was very little of actual consequence going on tonight, and as a result it leaves you with kind of an empty feeling. Peculiar considering how much I liked the second act. One good act topped with a great emotional moment just isn't enough in the end to carry the whole episode. 2/5
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

I gave it 3/5 - it would have been 4/5 had it not been for yet another version of "Homer (and/or Bart) is about to get killed and there's no way out of it, oh wait, there is, they're all safe, roll the credits". (I almost gave it 4 anyway, if only for that shout out to South Park's latest mess with Comedy Central - for those of you who don't know, most of the censoring of the "Part 2" episode, was done by CC behind Trey and Matt's back.)

-- Don

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    any hopes of S21 having another genuinely entertaining episode are as dead as beached whale blubber.
    Isn't that a tad premature? Or do you know something we don't.

Thread Information