• 5/5: Chief of Hearts

38 25.50%
  • 4/5: Chief of Diamonds

46 30.87%
  • 3/5: Chief of Clubs

39 26.17%
  • 2/5: Chief of Spades

17 11.41%
  • 1/5: Chief of Rules for Draw and Stud Poker?

9 6.04%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review: Chief of Hearts (MABF09)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Rate/Review: Chief of Hearts (MABF09)

"While completing his court-ordered community service, Homer offers Chief Clancy Wiggum a sandwich. Wiggum is touched by the offer, and the two become instant friends. Meanwhile, Bart becomes addicted to a Japanese game called Battle Ball."

Rate and review away.

I thought it was horrid. Just one unfunny joke after another. Marge searching for drugs was pretty interesting, if it didn't turn out to be so notoriously bland.
    Last edited by friz; 04-19-2010 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Added description for NHC front page
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

We don't need 2 R/R threads without polls. Why did you make another Rate/Review thread man?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Wiggs View Post
    We don't need 2 R/R threads without polls. Why did you make another Rate/Review thread man?
    I clearly have a poll in mine.

Also, mine's spelt correctly.

hey man what makes hearts superior to the other suits?

My prediction? A-story has its moments but ultimately suffers from flow problems and with a variety of a lazy story twists. B-story is neither offensive nor all that interesting, with no real resolution to speak of.
    Well, my gut feeling was pretty much my resulting opinion on this episode. Then again, that pattern seems to be a running trend this season.

The Bart/Marge story didn't do much for me. The party opening wasn't particular funny and just kind of killed time to set the stage for the game Barts begins to like. Was the Martin/Skinner/Otto really necessary to set up the conflict even? Marge could have easily just overheard the conversation between Bart and Milhouse. Also, I'm starting to get annoyed by how the subplots are consistently unresolved. It's not there isn't any kind of ending, there just doesn't seem to be enough there the way they leave it. In this one Bart just quits his interest because Marge likes it? Not that original or interesting.

Then there's the story with Homer and Wiggum. A few irritating jokes set the stage for Homer's community service, where he befreinds Wiggum. I don't know if it was just me, but I didn't find the start of the friendship to be all that well portrayed. Wiggum wants a sandwich, basically. I did enjoy Wiggum's awkwardness with making a friend but the impact of it was hurt by some lame dialogue.

After this we have the friendship continuing with Homer and Wiggum spending loads of time with each other. Homer being able to benefit from befriending the chief of police had a lot of comedic potential, but when was the last time they were able to tap deeply into any basin of humour for more than a few moments? And although I could see it coming, the end of act of act three with a shot Wiggum was a moment I kind of like.

Next we have Wiggum in a critical state. The montage was probably my favourite part of the episode both with the absurd card game Homer was playing and how he knocks an unconscious Wiggum off his bed (slapstick with dead or seriously hurt people are cheap laughs, but I'll take 'em in this capacity). Wiggum and the story doesn't really know where it wants to go once again. The friendship souring is inevitable in a story like this but I didn't find the conflict all that interesting.

Which brings us back to the mafia, who have now kidnapped Homer and Wiggum. I can accept ridiculous ways of getting out of trouble at times, but this resolution didn't have the comedy to support any abstract kind of escape they were trying to portray. Unlike the subplot, the A-story was at least tied up competently. Although I didn't think it was all that funny, this was the closest they got to really exploiting Wiggum's position in an entertaining way. It felt complete didn't leave me with a particularly sour impression, which I guess is a positive for today's standards.

Lots of Wiggum and Homer for people who were hoping to see a lot of screentime for their friendship. It wasn't awful, but a typical barrage of weak jokes and nothing particularly standout stop the episode from being anything more than a season 21-esque episode. 2/5 (D)
    To view various lists about my Simpsons opinions, click the link below.

http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=27253

I Just Want My Kids Back EthanRunt's Avatar

The A story could have been funny, entertaining, but Clancy was dull, homer uninteresting, and why was Sarah so anti-Clancy on the phone?

Also, the judgement of Bart on drugs, dumb and annoying, why bother?

Ah well, at least the parody to Bakugan wasn't a crappy lampoon like (shudders) Mypods and the Funtendo Zii in the sense it's name wasn't shitty like calling it "Bakumon". Also, just to hear Digimon mentioned for the first time ever in the series was preety cool. If only Herman had some dialogue, though....

3.5-4/5

The reality is that both your post and his should be bannable offenses. Pure ignorance about the show's current-day content is just as offensive as wearing blinders to mediocrity and openly praising everything.
    - Brad Lascelle,
    even if I don't agree on a post like mine in which I did not watch a new episode of OFF and still give it a negative rating should result in banning

I really, really enjoyed this episode. No joke dragged on too long. I felt that a real connection was established between Chief Wiggum and Homer. This was also a very funny episode. I thought that the village in the Ukraine making Wiggum's underwear was really funny. I'm glad that there was the drug aspect to the battleball thing. It made it way more entertaining and interesting. My only complaints are that I would've liked to have seen more of Lisa and Chief Wiggum's voice sounded a little off at times. However, this is my new favorite of the season. I might be a little biased because I'm a big Wiggum fan, but I'm giving this a 4/5.

I'd rate this 2/5. Am I the only one, or is it embarrassing that they make the Homer&Chief friendship like a teenage couple dating? with Wiggum being all shy as if he was dating Homer? with that particular music? etc. I know they played this joke with Seinfeld (Jerry and Keith Hernandez) but that managed to be funny.

Bart's subplot was ok even tho I haven't heard of that game. The animators usually do a good job this season and the robots in the game were pretty creative. There wasn't much humor and Marge thinking they're doing drugs was too hard to believe (and was similar to Homer thinking the muslim neighbor was a terrorist).

Humor/story again was rather bland tho this time they didn't attempt to make too many jokes. There were a few very good jokes like Homer's "this must be what it feels like to be pregnant" and playing a prank on Flanders.

I liked the set up for the Bart plot, wasn't to bad, and pretty funny. Whilst the set up for Homer's plot was rather lackluster, and kinda stupid, but they got it over with quick. The Homer/Wiggum stuff turned out pretty nice, not too forced. The end of the first act was actually pretty good, my favorite joke being Homer's lunch.

The Second act started off rather meh. Nothing too interesting happened, the moe joke was funny as well. Not many jokes fell flat. The Bart subplot where they think he's dealing drugs was just stupid. The Wiggum/Homer friendship developed quite well, without being rushed. My only problem with it was that the plot, up until where Wiggum was shot had no real conflict.

The third act was average, with nothing too funny or unfunny. Wiggum's childish behavior didn't hold too much interest. It just felt bland. I don't have any real complaint with this episode, it just felt like it was missing something. It's pretty forgetable, the A story and the B story came to a predictable end. Not bad, not good. Just meh, 3/5.

Blog Entries

It was pretty good. Most of the jokes worked, and I liked the subplot (first Otto appearance of the season, if I'm not mistaken). Homer begging to get out of community service was pretty good, as were quite a few of the jokes with Wiggum. The end with Flanders was a good way to tie up the episode. Wiggum's voice sounded a little off at the beginning, but not enough to really be a distraction.

One thing I wish they'd sort of followed up on...in the beginning when Clancy was on the phone with Sarah, I really got the impression she was cheating on him. Even though I liked the subplot, I think it could have been moved to a different episode, and something could have developed with that. But hey, that's just my mind creating scenarios that didn't happen, I might as well just enjoy what we had. 13/15
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

Quote Originally Posted by Friz View Post
    I clearly have a poll in mine.

Also, mine's spelt correctly.
    Fair enough but you didn't have a poll when I posted that.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

I enjoyed it, though it had a pretty terrible start. The birthday party bits were awful and Homer and Wiggum becoming friends didn't really-- Does listing off different kinds of parms honestly make anybody laugh? That said, though, I actually didn't mind the bit with Homer at the bank. It was absurd and incredibly quick. It worked for what it was basically meant to do and had a really great tone to it. Likewise, Homer and Wiggum lying on a park bench gazing up at clouds together was a great image.

Wiggum can't really do much wrong as far as I'm concerned when the focus is on him. Great character and he and Homer have so much in common already, it makes sense that they'd be able to hit it off, and I enjoyed a lot of their scenes together. Something that didn't really work out too well was Wiggum being overly-dependent on Homer for companionship, though. We did get a line about how it's hard for cops to make friends but there wasn't much there and despite Wiggum's line about other cops, apparently that wasn't a problem with Lou, and the scene with Wiggum waking up and Lou coming out to greet him wasn't so much funny as awkward, and not really in a comedic way. We don't see too much of Lou but he's a likeable character, intelligent, does his job, has a soothing voice. Making him the butt of such jokes honestly doesn't really work.

That said though, seriously, the Homer/Wiggum scenes were well-done. A little on the gay side - and I suppose that's comedy now? It's cheap regardless, and I'd much prefer witty dialogue over pseudo-innuendo - but well-done, until Wiggum got over-sensitive. Homer was, surprisingly, pretty blameless in this one, except for being the cause for Wiggum getting shot (which was a very nicely played out scene, for the record, with the reveal that Wiggum wasn't wearing his bullet proof vest. Good comedic timing, good direction to switch it to dramatic. Honestly, that was a brilliant sequence). And when the two of them were trapped in a trunk together, they really did seem like friends again, too. So... solid. And it ended on a great note.

As for the subplot... eh, it killed time. It had a pretty non-ending but I'm actually a fan of those and the pace of the final scene worked for me so no real objections there, and I'm not going to fault something for being true-to-life (it's a fucking parody of random Japanese games that kids here get obsessed with for some reason, you were expecting originality? Really?), which this was. It did seem rather pointless though... Bart is 10... Way to have faith in your kid by suspecting him to be involved with drugs... when he's 10. And does anybody but the writers honestly think that lines like "WELL I'LL JUST LISTEN SOME MORE, TO GAIN CONTEXT" are funny? Seriously? It's clunky, unrealistic, and incredibly fucking stupid. This could have been much worse, and it broke up the Homer/Wiggum parts nicely enough, but these are 10-year-old kids, please, let's just think for a moment here. I do prefer this sort of idea to "Bart gets overly-obsessed and needs an intervention!", but that doesn't automatically make this plot idea any more awesome; it would have been over within a minute if anyone had actually directly asked Bart anything. Eh.

Still, though, this one was just fun to watch. Loved both Homer and Wiggum in it, their interactions were great, and the episode, amazingly enough, didn't feel really rushed or anything. So. Fairly awesome.

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: The Wiggs

Can I Borrow a Feeling? theinfamouselbarto's Avatar

I really enjoyed this episode. Funny and touching. 4/5

Pretty bad overall. I think the only joke I liked was Wiggum saying he'd be asleep in front of the fridge. That was offset by a lot of jokes that just didn't work, and too many groaners.
    Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Eh, nothing too terrible or outstanding. 2.5/5

Longer review later...

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

meh
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

I didn't see the opening. Does anyone know what the chalkboard and bilboards gags were? (I saw the couch gag)

Blog Entries

Billboard: picture of Burns with the caption "Death and Taxes: Two things I avoid"

Chalkboard: "The counts as art and gym"

Lisa didn´t say anything in the episode...
    Season 26
    Clown in the Dumps: 2/5 | The Wreck of the Relationship: 3.5/5 | Super Franchise Me: 4.5/5 | Treehouse of Horror XXV: 5/5 | Opposites A-Frack: 3/5 | Simpsorama: 4.5/5

I drink too much wine, I forget things.
    In order to remember them, I drink more wine.

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

Best of the season. 4/5

The flying gag was also kang and kodos in their spaceship laughing.
    Last edited by bartyboy; 05-31-2010 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    Billboard: picture of Burns with the caption "Death and Taxes: Two things I avoid"

Chalkboard: "The counts as art and gym"
    Thanks. Neither are that funny. Best bilboard gag I can think of is "Principal Skinner: I Paint Houses!". That one got a laugh out of me.

Blog Entries

Thought this episode was highly enjoyable, I liked a great majority of the jokes and I think everything with Homer & Clancy flowed pretty well, it didn't feel rushed or anything. Bart's plot was good, but definitely felt rushed and got resolved too quickly, possibly even in the wrong way. They definitely could have developed Bart's plot a bit better.

Weird not seeing Lisa at all in this episode, don't remember the last time that's happened. Speaking of appearances, it was refreshing to see Otto again, thought his part was funny.

Chalkboard gag definitely isn't funny, not very many of them are, but I think this week's billboard gag is funny.

Great episode!

Overall Rating: 4/5

...and I facepalm so hard Little Nellie Kelly's Avatar

I think is episode turned out fantastic. I liked the premise of Homer and Chief Wiggum becoming friends, as it seems like a nice plot premise. However, I didn't enjoy the subplot, with Bart becoming a player of Battle Ball, and Marge thinking he was doing drugs. Moving on, the most hilarious moment in the episode was when Homer caused a panic in the bank, when hiding his candy apple (as food was not allowed inside), and everyone thought it was a gun. Another funny moment in the episode was when the children are playing Battle Ball, and when one defeats the other, the other is killed, and after not dying, he kills himself. Another moment worth, sadly, remembering is when Homer and Chief Wiggum are eating at Cora’s Diner, and he mentions that the chefs are ex-cons who get a second chance. We then flash to the kitchen, seeing the chef convicts spitting in the food, rubbing it on their armpits, and plucking their ear and then touching the food. I was shocked at when Chief Wiggum is shot, as he lies on the ground as if he is dead. A terribly sad moment in the episode was when we see Chief Wiggum in the hospital, and Homer stays with him, as a good friend should. I was almost at tears when Homer was pleading that Clancy wake up, and I was turned off from tears from sadness when Homer started to say “Wake up you fat sack of…” As I heard this, I couldn’t help but laugh. Something that I found out of taste in the episode is when Clancy throws Krusty’s nose, and he runs after it yelling that there was cocaine in the nose. I just had to smile at Homer’s speech, saying that faith is what you have in things that aren’t real, but Clancy’s awesomness (his words, not mine) is real.

Overall Rating: 5/5

Blog Entries

um, it was OK.

while the wiggum/homer plot had some nice, decent structure and a great opener (homer at the bank was an effective, quick and very humorous way to get him in community service), it suffered greatly from the obnoxious homoerotic innuendos. seriously, does a "bromance" plot really have to immediately be subjected to these kind of jokes? that honestly killed a lot of the episode for me moreso than the stupid subplot. (more on that in a second) aside from that, I liked how they naturally had clancy and homer bond, and it always has seemed that the two characters were alike enough for it to make sense. as well, the idea that wiggum has never really had a friend (can you say like father, like son?) gives his over-sensitive reaction a hefty weight of drama, even though it is a bit over-the-top. the non-gay jokes worked decently, mostly all of clancy's dialogue with lou a bit ironically. though, aside from the wildly overused homoerotic implications, the plot still had its flaws, especially towards the end. just how did wiggum know that fat tony would want music played? does he know him that well? it just didn't seem that natural there.

now, that marge subplot wasn't bad, it was just stupid and pointless. I hate when subplots are just there to fill a minuscule amount of time, and it's extremely obvious when it's only three fucking scenes and ends before the last act break. the whole "marge listens on for two more 'contextual' lines and points this out via dialogue" thing doesn't make it better, and I have no idea why the writers think this is okay to do all the goddamn time. it works every now and then when you just have to be lazy for the plot's sake, because the joke actually works due to the fact that it isn't beaten into our heads to death, and more-over, you're trying more often that not. the actual idea that martin somehow misreads this as drugs (still confusing) and that skinner goes to marge without even checking it out (extremely dumb) and marge rips bart's room to shreds just after hearing two vague exchanges of dialogue between him and milhouse...god, this was just that: stupid. stupid, stupid, stupid.

still, the wiggum/homer plot, aside from a few unfortunate quirks, elevates this episode from being bad just to decent/OK.

3/5

btw: iirc, lisa had no lines in this episode whatsoever. ladies and gentlemen, I give you d'ohmer's new favorite episode!

(why do I have the unfortunate feeling he will thumbs-up this post even though I'm putting him down?)
    Last edited by Ryan; 04-18-2010 at 10:30 PM.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to hear the story of why Sideshow Bob seemed to be trying to kill Chief Wiggum and Homer in the picture after the episode. It looked very interesting.

...and I facepalm so hard Little Nellie Kelly's Avatar

I thought the pictures after the episode were very random, and not much interesting.

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

Yeah I think this was the first episode with zero lisa. I didn't like the whole gay element of this episode...it was a little creepy and didn't really work.
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

Blog Entries

It flows smoothly. I thought the climax with Homer and Wiggum in the trunk was exciting. It exceeded my description-based expectations, and I kind of liked that. Skinner in the needle costume with Otto was pretty awsome, as was the Bakugan killing. Not too much else to mention.

C (2/5 on the poll)

When I regain my equilibrium Orange Harrison's Avatar

The plot setup was just plain stupid and forced. Both of them. The child-like interactions between Homer and Wiggum were surprisingly well done, but moreso in voice-acting than in writing. The part with Marge listening to Bart and Milhouse... there's a difference between a misunderstanding and being outright fucking stupid. Even if Marge was idiotic enough to believe they were doing drugs, why would she walk away? Why wouldn't she go and tell them to stop? Oh, that's right, the writers are lazy, incompetent, arrogant morons. For some reason I laughed really hard at Moe holding the cake... just a non-sequitir accompanied by a great delivery I guess. The end was... odd. At least it was a SUBTLE return to the somewhat-status-quo, something that has been lacking in recent episodes *cough*ThursdaysWithAbie*cough*.

Overall... 2/5.

Thread Information