• 2/5

2 4.35%
  • 1/5

5 10.87%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R/R South Park "200"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

R/R South Park "200"

Nothing but a load of masturbatory, self-referential, painfully obvious, crowd-pleasing, fanservice. And it's in two parts.

5/5

i wonder if this will fit the

it lagged in the beginning with the tom cruise stuff, but when the Muhammed thing was mentioned, it just skyrocketed. i was hoping for it not to be a two-parter, but i guess they can now name the next episode "201". my favorite gag was muhammed's responses from the inside of the U-Haul. fantastic episode. loads of fun. 5/5

here's hoping matt and trey don't start next week with "terrance and phillip in..." lol

I think it would've worked better as a one hour special rather than two parts. I'm really hoping they don't go the Terrance & Phillip route here, too obvious anyway and it's not gonna be April Fool's Day.

I didn't think it'd be a two-parter tuning into it but I looked at the clock at 10:20 and had that Seinfeld moment of "oh there's no way they're gonna wrap this up in a few minutes."

props to anyone who finished this. i gave up after about the 20 minute mark when i realized i hadn't laughed or smiled once. just a rehash of previous plots from mediocre episodes.

My only gripe with the episode was that heir extending the "200th episode spectacular" into two episodes. Should have made it an hourlong special.

Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    props to anyone who finished this. i gave up after about the 20 minute mark when i realized i hadn't laughed or smiled once. just a rehash of previous plots from mediocre episodes.
    I think that was kind of the point. They may have been mediocre episodes but they were among the series' most popular and infamous. It was a celebration of their success, and a thank you to the fans, which was nice considering they're treated like crap the rest of the time. I agree though, it could've been executed a bit better. And Kenny should've died.

There's still time.
    "Did you exchange, a walk on part in a war, for a lead role in a cage?"

Junior Camper

So Cartman's real father is someone who was in the room at the end of the season 1 cliffhanger, huh? My vote is that it was Chef, only because it makes too much sense to have Darth Chef reappear so he can say, "Eric, I am your father."

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

really great episode, I just hope the second part won't be a letdown from the first
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

super karate monkey death car Jakebert's Avatar

that kinda...sucked. some of the fanservice was fun, but nothing more. really, i wish that if they were doing fanservice that they'd give us actual characters from the show's past rather than celebrity parodies. i'd have prefered if they loaded the episode with pip, mr. hanky, the toilet paperer/hannibal kid, scuttlebut, ned, or whatever. you know, back from when the show actually had minor characters that weren't bland as fuck. then again, the show has changed completely in the last few seasons, and that's what they gave us what the majority of the fans want.

the only fanservice moments that really got me excited was the abe lincoln/john wilkes booth line, and mr. hat. i liked seeing mr. hat again, and i always love anytime that mr. hat's "personal life" comes out. that was always one of my favorite running jokes when i first started watching, and i've missed it. meca-striesand could have been a fun throwback, but i honestly thought the animation killed it. they should have stuck with the shitty cardboard cutout look for her, i feel like that had more charm.

it just seems to me like this episode was one giant unapologetic gimmick. i don't care if they kept throwing in "we've done this before!!!" lines, that doesn't make it self-parody, because it wasn't. gimmicks can be fun, but this one was just so hollow and uninspired, and kind of felt like a bad fanscript. it just seemed like this episode summed up everything that's been wrong with south park the last few seasons: overuse of boring celebrity caricatures, conspiracies (the secret plot to get the goo), and the fact that the boys feature very little in the story.

maybe i'm just a cranky old fan who misses what south park was when i first started watching, but i really feel like south park has completely gone past it's prime.

on a good note, though, the buildup around the cliffhanger was well done and actually made me slightly curious to see how it's going to play out. at the very least the cartman subplot seems interesting. i'm sure i'll be disappointed, but either way.

1.5/5.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

... Well I enjoyed it. It was a mess of fanservice, but it was a really well-done mess of fanservice. As soon as Muhammed was mentioned the pacing picked right up and I don't even mind that this is a two-parter - now, I might be taking back those words in a week - because at least this episode was pretty fully and starting off with a simple beginning, ultimately, did add up to all of the chaos that followed.

Even if most of it was just callbacks, they were well-placed, quick, and continuously hilarious. This conspiracy actually means more than the other ones since it's much more relevant to the show since it regards the actual town itself, not a bunch of faceless nobodies, and that goes for the celebrities, too.

I'm torn on Mecha-Streisand because on the one hand, that looks pretty badass, but on the other, I just remember that one joke in Free Hat. And they've got an enslaved Indiana in the background in this episode to boot. Hnn.

Whatever. It's just a lot of fun. I'm loving it.
    Last edited by arii; 04-15-2010 at 10:25 AM.

the very idea of a "two-parter" ticks me off, but I have to admit, that was a lot of crazy fun. even if it was insanely fanservice-y, it did it with a knowing wink. (the whole "mr. hat" exchange reeked of it) and I think that's what made it work, as they knew we knew that this was completely over-the-top and ridiculous, and used that to their advantage. not to mention how obviously they were pouring on the cliffhangers.

and there were a lot of funny moments besides fanservice. the whole "fudge packer" routine, as well as the closets and attempts to get muhammed in the town without being visible, funny stuff.

although, there is the whole two-parter thing. this episode will immediately get raised to a 5/5 if there just is no second part, as if that's the actual joke. but you know there's going to be a part two. I also have to agree that it would be stronger as a one-hour special, especially when you consider that this is supposed to be all about being the "200th" episode. but, of course, comedy central has to have their seven weeks of south park, so there you go.

4/5

i liked it til it was a 2 parter. at least they went ONE season without a cliffhanger

I thought it was pretty decent. I liked a lot of the callbacks to other episodes, I will say I really loved Cartman's J. Lo handpuppet coming back (yes it's a ridiculously stupid and, at times, disgusting episode, but Fat Butt and Pancake Head is one of my favourite episodes). Mecha Streisand kind of sucked in her new iteration though. Not really much I can say, but I'll give it 4/5.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayla
    i liked it til it was a 2 parter. at least they went ONE season without a cliffhanger
    I will say I've become kind of sick of South Park 'epics' considering this would be the 5th in the span of barely 4 and a half seasons (hopefully they don't ever do two in one season like they did with season 10, though), but this felt a lot different. At least they're using plot elements and characters already used instead of making up really cringeworthy stuff like Craig being the saviour in Pandemic (among my least favourite SP episodes).
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    the Jonas Brothers make my gay, pedophile dick so hard.

'Release the Kiken" hilarious.

I thought it was awesome. I saw Streisand coming back a mile away, but still hilarious. I wonder if the Crab People are the masterminds behind everything.
    I'm back.

the original Sex Pistol

why all the positive reviews? this sucked, goddamnit! one of the worst episodes in months, nay, years. after the whole thing was over, i just asked my self 1 question. "What the fuck was that?".

1/5

I haven't really enjoyed the past few seasons, yet I found this trip down memory lane very amusing. I was also high, so that's probably why. But I normally am for this show. This episode just struck more chords with its randomness than any shitty they've done since "The List."

Blog Entries

Amusing. It was fine.

Too bad the other episodes so far have sucked terribly. What could've been the mediocre "pretty good" has to stand out as the "excellent" so far this season. That's pretty sad.

Blog Entries

This episode Rocked! Gator claps all around!
    Full of laughs and excitement! Some parts were so awesome I cheered!
    I cant think of a SP 2 parter that wasnt brilliant and building towards greatness.
    This one had everything I wanted, my plate was full
    5/5

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Executive View Post
    why all the positive reviews? this sucked, goddamnit! one of the worst episodes in months, nay, years. after the whole thing was over, i just asked my self 1 question. "What the fuck was that?".

1/5
    I think the first post in this thread nailed what people liked about it. It's a milestone episode. Some people like their milestone episodes with a heavy dose of fanservice for fanservice's sake.

If you haven't been watching the show since the start, I can understand why maybe you didn't dig it. But season 1 happened way back in ninth grade for me, so all the business with Mr. Hat and Cartman's father and Mecha-Streisand hit some nostalgia triggers for me. The show's so different from what it was back then, it's also kind of surreal to have those elements reappear now.

I enjoyed it. It was clearly just a recombination of references to old episode all tied together, but that's kind of the point, and they were having fun with it. No complaints.

Tyrant: Invented Palcohol! D DEBBS's Avatar

I agree with Jakebert...suc-diddly-uck!

the original Sex Pistol

I bet my fat ass that Muhammed is Cartman's dad.

1/5
    nah, this is a "marmite" episode in every sense and watching it i felt half way through that it was going to get some hate (and praise) on this board. in its criticism it did feel like a fan wrote the episode in dedication to the show at times, and the ginger kids kinda piss me off because i never liked them. however it was great homage to all the zaniness, stupidity and controversy the show has delivered over the years. what i also liked was an interlink between the current state of the show (i.e. obviously use of tom cruise and mohammad outrage) and episodes when i first starting watching as youngster (mechastreisand and cartman’s mom is a dirty slut).

overall fantastic just for the opening ten minutes, although i think they have their work cut out for next week to make it all fit together. However
    5/5

i need my eyes excited. JoelofArc's Avatar

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Green Man

the original Sex Pistol

oh it's episode number 200, let's give it a 5/5.
    c'mon guys, you're all turning into D'ohmers.

Fight Fire With Fire Dehumanizer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Do people forget that part of the charm about South Park is being outrageous and ridiculous? Sometimes I think people are just way too overly critical about stuff, instead of just enjoying it.

Don't like the fact that it's a two-parter, but not a big deal. I thought it was a funny episode and I enjoyed it alot. Looking forward to the conclusion!

Overall Rating: 4/5

oh it's episode number 200, let's give it a 5/5.
    c'mon guys, you're all turning into D'ohmers.
    it's not a matter of over-generosity, I think a lot of us thought that was a legitimately fun ride. it's supposed to be over-the-top and ridiculous. I mean, Cartman's hand puppet knows the secret origin of Cartman's dad and ginger fundamentalists versus celebrities...come on.

Favorite references/returns:
    Jennifer Lopez/Mitch Connor (one of my favorite episodes for some reason)
    Mr. Hat
    Gingers
    Cartman's Father Plot

Hoping for:
    Saddam Hussein
    Crab People
    Chef
    Background aliens

Also look what The Simpsons sent them-

that single image alone is funnier than anything on the show for ages.

Thread Information