View Poll Results: How would you rate "American History X-Cellent"?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: X-Cellent

30 21.28%
  • 4/5: "Regular" Excellent

49 34.75%
  • 3/5: "Non-Union Mexican Equivelent" Excellent

41 29.08%
  • 2/5: "Will there ever be a rainbow?" Excellet

17 12.06%
  • 1/5: Release the Hounds...

4 2.84%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review "American History X-Cellent"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review "American History X-Cellent"

When the police are called to diffuse a rowdy crowd at Mr. Burns’ estate, one of the officers recognizes priceless stolen paintings on the walls, and the maniacal billionaire is taken downtown for questioning.

POLL ADDED!
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 04-11-2010 at 04:51 PM.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Blog Entries

(whispers to other boarders)

hey guys, watch me piss jake off

(ahem)

wow, that was better than last week! I mean, I'm amazed, it went from horrible trash to just outright mediocrity like usual! what a rebound!

5/5

Blog Entries

Written by Michael Price, Directed by Bob Anderson.

Blog Entries

you can't edit in a poll?

5/5

That episode was surprisingly good. Maybe I'm just glad that it wasn't as bad as that piece of shit that aired last week. Surprisingly almost all of the jokes were pretty good. A few fell flat. Such as the Bart line "If I was in your tummy I'd poo in your throat" and the other inmate sucking out Mr. Burns' evil. The Burns jokes didn't involve overly exaggerating his weakness. The episode was the funniest when Mr. Burns was in jail. Such as him choosing a gang to join.

The main plot was a little bit dragged down by a weak subplot. We've seen the Bart and Lisa can kinda be like a couple thing before. It's not like the B story was horrible or anything, just a tad generic. The ending to it was pretty predictable.

The A story had a nice conclusion to a good story. The song at the end was funny too. This may sound like a predictable response, but it was actually a step up from last week.

3.5/5 rounded up to a 4/5
    Last edited by Guy Haines; 04-11-2010 at 04:42 PM.

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: jayleno

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

did anyone else think Burns narrating the story was similar to Mel in All About Lisa?

also, it was decent. I liked the plot a lot but I didn't find a whole lot funny. Lot of weird gags, for instance, was there a reason Homer randomly lifted his shirt for Smithers? And Bart's dialogue about what he would do if Lisa were his mother was disturbing and not funny, IMO. I think a 3.5/5 is good for this episode. Not too great but not terrible

Junior Camper

5/5

Does anyone know if that convict's name was said, because I don't think I caught it. I liked that character, and Kevin Michael Richardson's voice fits right into that guy. Great voice actor too. The B story seemed just a bit flat to me, but overall a great episode.

I knew their was a reason I wanted to turn the TV set on tonight!
    This episode was full of giving! Original fun and entertainment! To call it a Burns heavy ep is too light a comment, It was Burns Extra-heavy!!
    It Gave & Gave and Gave! ... So there I was, I sat down and watched & watched and Watched! Did I mention I liked this one? Well I did! I liked & liked and Liked it!
    5 thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Miller View Post
    Lot of weird gags, for instance, was there a reason Homer randomly lifted his shirt for Smithers? A
    He lifted his shirt because he knows smithers is gay.

1.5/5

What a massive waste of time. I laughed once, maybe twice: SLH licking up the ants and Homer cheering about Patty and Selma, but even the latter was drawn out to the point of unfunny. Trying to cram three stories in there just made it so that none of them were fleshed out, which is a shame because Burns in Prison and Smithers in Charge both had potential as storylines. Smithers doing the phone survey just made me cringe with its uselessness. Even the jokes that weren't cringe-worthy were just outright lame ("that's an SS card dunkoff," the Dartmouth guy, Homer flashing, Grampa's birdcage), including a blowing dust off joke that paled in comparison to "How To Cook For Forty Humans." What was the point of any of those stories? It clearly wasn't comedy, so what the hell? I'll need to mull it over, but it may be the worst of the season.

As a sidenote, was I the only one a little creeped out by the "that was just my pre-evil" bit?
    "Did you exchange, a walk on part in a war, for a lead role in a cage?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanGLC View Post
    you can't edit in a poll?
    No, I can only edit the text part of my original post.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDaBull View Post
    He lifted his shirt because he knows smithers is gay.
    i thought it was never specified, we're just supposed to assume.

thanks

I should note that I did enjoying the return of Lance Murdoch as the flying gag.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Miller View Post
    i thought it was never specified, we're just supposed to assume.

thanks
    Homer said something like "I know you like your loafers a little light" basically saying I know you like men. At least thats what I got from it.

Blog Entries

For the most part, I enjoyed this episode.

I thought the mainplot was the best of the season. I really like the way Mr. Burns narrated the plot. I thought it flowed perfectly. It started with the party, which led to the main plot and everything from then on seemed to go smooth as butter. I thought it was convincing the way Smithers changed and Homer and his friends wanting to break Mr. Burns out. I also liked the scenes with Mr. Burns in prison. A decent ending to top it all off as well. I also thought it had many great gags, like Homer lifting his shirt and The flash from the camera knocking back Mr. Burns.

However, I thought the subplot was weak. I didn't think this episode needed a Bart/Lisa "bonding" plot, especially a weak one like this. I mean, I found it extremely unconvincing that an ant was what brought them together. Also, we've seen Lisa save stuff before, but an ANT? C'mon, that's pretty pathetic if you ask me. I alsot thought it was forced, especially the last scene. I liked the ending with the dog eating it, though. I also thought it had many stupid gags, like Bart licking Lisa's face (eww).
    Edit: I also found it disturbing that they were acting like a married couple (double eww).

Overall, I really wanted to give this episode a 5/5 and the title of best of the season, but I can't because of the subplot. I still really enjoyed this episode, though. A high 4/5
    Last edited by D'ohmer; 04-11-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Finally! A short couch gag! Its about time.
    Alright, the episode starts very ominously in Sprinfield Prison where we come upon Mr. Burns. Burns then begins telling the story. I'm glad that they went with this different way of telling the story. It added some uniqueness to the episode. So then through some events involving Homer and a 60,000 dollar bottle of wine, the cops are called to Burns's. Lou notices that the paintings are stolen, Burns is arrested. So far, the episode is going pretty well. I really enjoyed the whole town turning up to watch (and hurl things at) Burns being carted through town by a donkey. After a prolonged joke about Homer eating a rotten pumpkin, Burns arrives at prison and tells Smithers that he'll be running the plant. Burns then switches the story to add dramatic effect, which I thought was pretty smart and funny.
    We now come and see the things that Burns is doing in prison. Nothing that really adds any substance to the episode, mainly just a bunch of gags. Eventually we see that Lisa is raising an ant farm. After some annoying bickering between Bart and Lisa, the ant farm breaks, with only one survivor (Santa's Little Helper made sure of that). Bart and Lisa eventually make up and end up enjoying the remaining ant (Annie) together.
    Now, at Moe's, we see Homer, Lenny, and Carl having a good time with their new boss Mr. Smithers. Turns out that Smithers is a pushover and is letting them all leave work early. Smithers overhears them talking behind his back and decides he needs to crack down and be more like Burns.
    Back in prison, Burns is being converted to Christianity by some sort of magical black man. Homer, Lenny, and Carl decide they want Burns back so they plan to break him out. Somehow, they're able to walk into the prison, get Burns out of the cell and walk out with no hassle or repercussions. That was a bit confusing to me. Burns is now evil again thanks to a little evil left between his toes, and the episode ends with the black guy telling the good news of Jesus to Fat Tony.
    This episode was pretty good. I liked that Lisa didn't seem annoying after her Bart started working together to take care of the ant. It was also a generally funny episode with many good jokes. I personally liked the one where Smithers sets something on the button on the desk and he falls through the trap door.
    The episode did a good job of not focusing to much and one character, but I thought it could have included a bit more of Marge. I felt that she was missing, and that pumpkin bit was just added to give her a part in the episode. I think it would've been better if more time was spent on the jailbreak. A little stealth and adventure would've worked well. The sub-plot was very "meh" but I was just glad to have a tolerable Lisa.
    Overall, I think this episode was pretty good. One of my favorites of the season. The plot could've been a bit more exciting, but what are you gonna do? This is season 21. There's not much more they'd try to do. I'll throw this episode a 4/5.
    Last edited by The Wiggs; 04-11-2010 at 04:57 PM.

Blog Entries

Poll added!

Anway this episode's premise wasn't fucking retarded like the past few, but that doesn't mean it was good. Smithers being a boss had the potetial to be a great episode, but the Season 21 ADD kicked in and the story, just when it started to be good, became another meandering mess. And as someone said said above me, the scene with Smithers and his cellphone was completely useless.

Other stupid bits: The Warden and the hellium, Homer mistaking Bart saying "Ant" and "Aunt" and the "Evil Sucking."

3/5
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 04-11-2010 at 05:01 PM.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Okay, so in defence of all the negativity recently, the Simpsons of old used to have good episode after good episode after good episode, not the occasional one that makes it still kind of worth it surrounded by mediocrity and trash.

S21 has had some of the absolute lowest lows of the show to date... but it's had more outstanding episodes than the past few seasons have. Seriously, this is the fourth or something for me.

Because that? Was actually... really awesome. Filled with jokes and while only the Bart/Lisa scenes had anything really resembling a snappy pace, far more of these jokes hit than struck out. Not to mention a legitimately interesting plot that only petered out slightly at the end.

First off with the sub plot... That was great. It was cute, funny, and I'm not sure what's up with the writers' recent love for making Bart and Lisa act slightly more like a married couple, but the way this one played out it was funny. They still kept the air of siblings between them, what with moments of getting along and still petty arguments and trying to get at one another. Lisa's line about organ donations was a great excuse and Santa's Little Helper's little roles. Really funny ending as well, and that ant actually looked pretty cute there. Homer thinking Patty and Selma did was another great moment but also went on a little long... Eh, not really sure what I'm getting at here. Just. Solid and fun subplot, really enjoyed that, even though it did feel a little odd throughout that Bart and Lisa were having these "serious" moments to be interrupted buy the joke and then... not really return to their story; but by the end it was worth it since all the little bits took the exact same style, and the way it ended, it all fit in naturally. "Serious", close with a joke, and each part picked up where the other left off so nothing was really missed.

As far as the main plot goes... That was a great Burns! Hooray for narration, hooray for solid, funny moments throughout. Homer, Lenny, and Carl really worked nicely in this one; it was obvious from the beginning that they were the guards showcased, but it wasn't like they were really aiming for a mystery there. It flowed nicely though, and that "helium" joke was great, including all its callbacks. Very quick, didn't disrupt the flow, kept up the pace and there was a lot happening. I'm really losing myself here but... it really worked. Even the reformed Christian Burns thing wasn't a letdown, it was more like something for him to do. It might've been nice to have seen him bullied around some more (because the beginning with all of Springfield turning out to hurl rotten fruits at him - and the Milhouse thing was adorable, also funny - was great and pretty much what you'd expect from them to signify Burns as a total tyrant and Springfield as the petty mob they are), only to totally turn around and go straight back to normal (as though he'd learned something about abusing others, rather than having found salvation and supposed to be good from that), but it doesn't really matter; there wasn't exactly a lot of time available for it anyway. I would've rather seen more of Smithers being abusive, to be honest, just to give Homer, Lenny, and Carl more motivation, and also so it would be funnier for him to immediately revert back to a hopeless lackey after becoming a tyrant in his own right, but eh, minor nitpicks in an otherwise already really, really solid episode.

But Simpsons staff, please. You're clearly capable of making fantastic episodes still. Please put this sort of effort into all of your scripts, don't put it in some and then scrimp on the others... It doesn't work. The overwhelming air of negativity and you-should-be-cancelled is still there. It shows when you put the effort into your work, it really does, and more of that would just be... really nice. Because this was honestly very enjoyable.

Ok, the main plot was pretty good. I give the main plot a 5/5.
    B plot was really weird. It was like Matt wanted me to think of Bart/Lisa in a relationship of some sort Who the heck worked on the B story? Some one who supports Bart/Lisa? I'm so worried about the writers staff these days
    Over all I give it a 3/5 combined with the B plot.

Bart V.S Bob!
    Bart fan!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BartSimpsonfan17 View Post
    B plot was really weird. It was like Matt wanted me to think of Bart/Lisa in a relationship of some sort
    I completely agree with you. I don't want to start a debate, but I have to say that I didn't really get the feeling while watching the episode, but after reading it on here, it make me realize the disturbing undertone of the subplot. This was basically symbolic of a real relationship.

Blog Entries

oh yea:

Bob appeared for a quick scene.

Fat Tony at the end {and voiced by Joe Mantegna, as usual}

I liked those two things.

and as mentioned, the black man "healing/curing" Burns was way too out-there to enjoy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arii View Post
    But Simpsons staff, please. You're clearly capable of making fantastic episodes still. Please put this sort of effort into all of your scripts, don't put it in some and then scrimp on the others... It doesn't work.
    I doubt the staff really feels there's much varience between what the NHC considers a "good" episode or a "bad" episode. To them, we're a model, nerdlet fan that only likes weepy-weepy feel-good Simpsons stories and to the rest of the fans, they feel that making the show funny is the number 1 goal. Coherant Storytelling and empathy be damned in 2010.

The overwhelming air of negativity and you-should-be-cancelled is still there. It shows when you put the effort into your work, it really does, and more of that would just be... really nice. Because this was honestly very enjoyable.
    The staff hates us, doesn't listen to us, and if there was a 'change' in the show to something we liked, it was not due to them listening, but due to them having a similar plan in mind beforehand. If the staff wants to perk up and listen to us, then the 'fans' around the world need to stop buying the Homer Keychains, DVDs, tampons, iPhone Apps, ect. If anyone believes what we have any impact on the show's production (outside a few animation nods and snarky refferences on DVD commentaries), then I'm Chuck Norris.
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 04-11-2010 at 05:20 PM.

Loved it an honest to goodness 5 of 5. Burns was great, Smithers, Homer, Lenny....You get the idea, really good episode. Even Bart & Lisa, Santa's Little Helper eating the last ant. I laughed at it all. The warden all the prison stuff. Marge with the bag of cat litter, and who can forget Captain Lance Murdoch, we have not seen him since like season one.
    It Tastes Like Burning

3/5 Not a great episode for me as the plot could have been handled much better.

Yes, Jake, because I'm clearly talking directly to the Simpsons writers and I'm actually expecting them to listen to me and take my words to heart.

Christ, sometimes you really just need to shut up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arii View Post
    Yes, Jake, because I'm clearly talking directly to the Simpsons writers and I'm actually expecting them to listen to me and take my words to heart.
    You could've fooled me.

Oh, did McClure's "open letter" to the writers in the S21 thread fool you too?

Again: Shut up. You may be able to back yourself up, but at least D'ohmer is a two-note poster in contrast to your one-note.

Blog Entries

okay.. you two are like two of my favorite posters here

chill
    calmer than you are

As someone who's been hugely critical of season 21, I'd like to congratulate the staff on making the best episode of the season thus far. It was a thoroughly mediocre effort, which in the context of this season makes it a great episode.

For one thing, the plot seemed halfway clever. It was like the writers put more than two seconds of thought into this one, which again is a huge improvement. I thought having Burns narrate was a nice touch, especially when they had him spoof movie characteristics (ie, adding rain and snow to the scene when Smithers leaves Burns at the prison, which movies will do to add to the mood of the scene). Making the plot non-linear was nice, even though it's not necessarily original. Hey, beggars can't be choosers...the overall cleverness of this episode was a lot better than it's been all season.

Of course, not everything about this episode worked. The B story involving Bart and Lisa was odd and didn't really add anything (I guess it's supposed to be a feel-good story with the two working together, but it didn't really work). The Smithers-as-a-boss had more potential than it showed. I liked the "ant" "aunt" mix-up up until Homer asked if they suffered, which seemed especially mean. The rotten pumpkin gag was too drawn out (they can't do one episode without a drawn-out gag, I swear). And as already has been mentioned, the "sucking the evil" part out was weird, and I'm wondering it was supposed to be a reference or parody of something that I'm missing. It seemed too odd to just be written that way; it really felt like a reference to something, but I don't know what.

Considering some of the episodes from the classic era that I would give a 3/5 (like, say, Fear of Flying), this really should be a 2/5. Even though it was the best of the season, it still wasn't good enough that I would wanna watch this episode over anything from the first 9 seasons. But I'm feeling kind, so I gave it a 3/5. I wish they would show this amount of cleverness every week, then this show would still be worth watching. But after the past couple of weeks, I was about ready to give up. I'm kinda glad I watched this one, it actually wasn't half-bad.

EDIT: I'd also like to say that this was the best use of Burns in years.

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: jayleno

Thread Information