• 5/5 Randy's Swollen Nuts

10 25.64%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R/R: South Park "You Have 0 Friends"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

R/R: South Park "You Have 0 Friends"

Rate and Review away

I am your big brother

I really liked how relatable it was (I hate facebook), but although the tron parody was good and the whole jim cramer/cartman thing was inspired, it was mostly just kind of average.

it was mostly just trey saying, "haha, look how stupid social networking has become!" so much that I was shocked to not see anything about twitter. I also didn't really "get" the kip subplot, I know what it was supposed to represent, but it ended really oddly. I was expecting some sort of catharsis or turn, but nope, just a "happy" ending. kind of disappointing there.

all-in-all, not bad, not great.

3/5
    Last edited by Brian the Dog; 04-08-2010 at 01:20 AM.

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

yeah, pretty meh, big letdown from last week
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

You have to have seen Tron to appreciate a lot of this episode. 5/5
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Gatorgod

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Peaness View Post
    You have to have seen Tron to appreciate a lot of this episode. 5/5
    oh I have, but it didn't contribute that much. amusing at first, with the yatzee tournament, but got old quickly.

edit: it was only a matter of time

Not as good as last week and definitely re-used a number of jokes, but overall it was a good take on FB, and Cartman's Mad Money parody was a good laugh. Also, this episode deserves extra points for what it's doing on Facebook itself right now with everyone adding Kip (and his content mirroring the episode, even in terms of timing). That's some great online marketing for the show.

So far this season is doing way better than where season 13 left off. I didn't like the premiere, but the last 3 have been really enjoyable.
    Signature.

Blog Entries

Wooo! This episode was AWESOME!!
    1. I related to the whole Facebook hate thing, All the little farms, Pokes, etc..
    2. The Tron part was unexpected and Totally Cool! Highly detailed and beautiful to behold.
    3. Cartman as Mad Money Cramer? .....ROTFL!!
    4. and the Big drum roll goes to that sad isolated little boy and how his pathetic existence was changed by the cyber interactions with Kyle.
    I cheered out loud at the happy ending!!
    This ep is going up on the mantel amongst my SP fav's!! I want it to add me to its friends list!

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Never seen Tron, still appreciated the hell out of this episode. First standout of the season for me and first turn back to something that felt more like a classic South Park episode. Focus on the kids, maintain their personalities, not a bunch of faceless entities, the one major new character was actually a good one (and it's worth mentioning that when Kyle defriended him I figured he was going to get a gun and shoot himself; it's sad that at this stage of the game I'm impressed with South Park for not having a character commit suicide over something insignificant, but hey, that's where it is now), some good social commentary that didn't feel remotely as forced as the previous three episodes, only a mildly hyperbolic Randy, the animation not overdoing itself - especially considering the parody - and some actual solid laughs.

Thoroughly entertained throughout, not one slumping moment for me. I hope this doesn't end up being the best of the run because South Park can certainly do better, but for now, this was still a pretty awesome episode.

Remind me of this simpsons quote

Homer: Uh...it's like...did anyone see the movie "Tron"?
    Hibbert: No.
    Lisa: No.
    Marge: No.
    Wiggum: No.
    Bart: No.
    Patty: No.
    Wiggum: No.
    Ned: No.
    Selma: No.
    Frink: No.
    Lovejoy: No.
    Wiggum: Yes. I mean -- um, I mean, no. No, heh.

the original Sex Pistol

Wow! That was easily the best episode of the season, it just seemed like a classic SP episode. For once all the little stabs at Facebook and its retardedness worked perfectly. 5/5.
    btw, I do have a Facebook profile, but I hate it. Society made me create one.

3 out of 5 or at 3,5 out 5 didn't excite me enough

bored at work; board at work Last Milhouse on the Left's Avatar

Overall it had more funny parts than last week but couldn't give it a 5/5 because it doesn't seem like one I'd watch more than twice. I didn't see the Tron parody coming and was really thrilled to see it done and done well. 4/5

Really enjoyed this. The ending was a bit predictable, but overall it was really hilarious. Kip taking his laptop to the movies slayed me.
    "Did you exchange, a walk on part in a war, for a lead role in a cage?"

To the book depository! burnin''s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cash Kerouac View Post
    Really enjoyed this. The ending was a bit predictable, but overall it was really hilarious. Kip taking his laptop to the movies slayed me.
    i found it rather unpredictable, south park usually would have the kid shoot himself or something but instead a happy ending?

best of the season by far, which doesn't say much cuz this season has been shit up to this point. 4/5

First genuinely good episode of the season, really enjoyed it.

4/5

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

This is the first episode I've rated this highly since season 11's "About Last Night." The jabs at Facebook were excellent and felt fairly fresh throughout the episode, and Stan's frustration was understandable and relatable (I rarely check my own Facebook profile, myself). And it escalated in a very South Park-esque way, with the Tron stuff taking things to the next level (although Stan getting Yahtzee two separate times in the episode was slightly underwhelming). The visuals worked really well from a design standpoint too.

I particularly liked the connected plots. You had Kyle's desperate attempt to get more friends, Cartman's video and later helping Kyle out, Stan's attempt to avoid Facebook (and defeat his profile), and sad, lonely Kip who brought laughs and more jabs at the ridiculousness that social networking has become.

Quote Originally Posted by arii View Post
    Focus on the kids, maintain their personalities, not a bunch of faceless entities, the one major new character was actually a good one (and it's worth mentioning that when Kyle defriended him I figured he was going to get a gun and shoot himself; it's sad that at this stage of the game I'm impressed with South Park for not having a character commit suicide over something insignificant, but hey, that's where it is now)
    Agreed, and it looks like a few others have felt the same way. Really, I can go without another South Park suicide for the rest of the show's run, to be honest. It's lazy and obnoxious, and would've prevented this episode from getting an A from me. The ending they went with was pretty charming, although it didn't completely make sense. If they wanted to do the happy ending for the kid, I think having him make a friend OFF of Facebook might've been a little better, and fit in with the episode's theme of "Facebook is pointless." But even so, the end they had was miles better than him pulling a gun out of nowhere and blasting his messy brains across the room.

Anyway, lots of laughs, little to no repetition, great use of the characters and appropriate satire put this in the "Make Love, Not Warcraft" caliber of episode for me. Keep it up, Matt and Trey--every episode this season has improved upon the last.

4.5/5 A-
    My Nintendo webcomic,

super karate monkey death car Jakebert's Avatar

3/5.

Decent, but really, most of it felt like jokes that I've seen done a million times before by now. Facebook really isn't that cutting edge of an idea to make jokes on, and almost seemed a little outdated or tired.

That said, I loved Kip, and thought a big chunk of it worked. Randy had my favorite moment in the episode: "RANDY MARSH IS AT WORK. I'M BORED!"

I liked the first 1/2 more than the 2nd 1/2-once Stan went to Tron, it kind of went downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    Agreed, and it looks like a few others have felt the same way. Really, I can go without another South Park suicide for the rest of the show's run, to be honest. It's lazy and obnoxious, and would've prevented this episode from getting an A from me. The ending they went with was pretty charming, although it didn't completely make sense. If they wanted to do the happy ending for the kid, I think having him make a friend OFF of Facebook might've been a little better, and fit in with the episode's theme of "Facebook is pointless." But even so, the end they had was miles better than him pulling a gun out of nowhere and blasting his messy brains across the room.
    although I was glad to see him not committing suicide (the fact that a lot of us predicted that is pretty telling), I agree that having him making a friend off of facebook would offer a better catharsis and a better tie-in with the overall message of the episode. having him suddenly gain friends is heartwarming, but it's sort of counter-intuitive with what they're trying to say. I guess if you think about it, it could be an irony against the others who deliberately shunned the kid because of these ridiculous ideals, are now all friends with him, but it just doesn't work as well.

I'm surprised to see this getting raves. I thought it was merely average, with the first half being much stronger than the second. (once the tron parody became stale) Huh, and I really liked "Scrotie McBooger Balls" too.

Blog Entries

Another great episode. Stan's tron plot along with people like Wendy and Randy nagging him was fucking brilliant!

Wasn't to keen on the scenes with Kip, was kinda.....disturbing.

Biggest laugh of the episode for me was Kyle and Cartman using Chatroulette.

So far this season is at a 2/2 score (I liked "Medicinal Fried Chicken" and "You have 0 friends", But wasn't so keen on "Sexual Healing" and "The tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs")

5/5

Here's hoping that Matt and Trey make the 200th episode a very memorable one.
    Fun Fact: I hate heights

definitely my favorite episode this season. i loved wendy yelling at stan about pointless facebook stuff. getting upset about a 92 year old woman complementing his bunny suit was the best. the facebook farm jokes were great too.

4/5

Junior Camper

Just watched it and wanted to note that on Kyles facebook wall Butters thanks Kyle for friending him. Kenny sends him a video he's "gotta see" and Towellie asks Kyle if he wants to get high later.

I am a facebook user myself and thought this episode was pretty brilliant. I loved the symbolic messages throughout the story and I actually thought the ending was done quite well. It was nice to see Kip happy.

Unlike the last 3, this had a pretty nice emotional / comical balance to it. I actually enjoyed the last 3 unlike some others and while the last two had a message, they were really insanely retarded (don't get me wrong, I love stupid shit). I never seen Tron but I thought the Tron plot was executed nicely either way.

I loved how serious everyone took Facebook in this episode. It really lampoons the Facebook freaks great. Reminds me of this dumb statement some kid at school made: "If it doesn't say "In a relationship" with someone, than your not really going out with them. If you it's not on facebook, your not going out." Now Facebook decides if a relationship is real or not.....sigh.

4.5 / 5

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

^Some kid at your school has a really bad grasp of the English language.

Very solid episode. Nice attention to detail, great story, and even a little heart warming at the end. Although I was expecting it to end with Stan friending Kip and losing all his other friends.

ain't no half steppin Son of Bomber's Avatar

you guys are crazy, this was fucking dogshit. for a show that has for the last 4 seasons mostly existed solely to be 'on the pulse' of the news or relevant to whatever fad is currently doing the rounds, this was horrendously out of date. toxic out of date. poorly conceived and badly executed. really not looking forward to the ipad episode. unless steve jobs turns out to be a crab

boxers, briefs, or... kimpantaloons's Avatar

i liked how all their birthdays were in 2001.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Bomber View Post
    you guys are crazy, this was fucking dogshit. for a show that has for the last 4 seasons mostly existed solely to be 'on the pulse' of the news or relevant to whatever fad is currently doing the rounds, this was horrendously out of date. toxic out of date. poorly conceived and badly executed. really not looking forward to the ipad episode. unless steve jobs turns out to be a crab
    I don't think South Park's main claim to fame is that it's current. I tune in mainly for the humor and characters, not to see how they'd lampoon the topic of the week. And in this case, Facebook's still a popular subject, so it's hardly like they did an episode on the Y2K bug or hanging chads.

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

I don't think they will ever top "About Last Night" for currency and relevancy. It's nice for them to do episodes on more broader and long-running - but still current - issues like marijuana legalisation, social networking, etc.

It feels like the episodes have been a little more thought-out, which is great. Facebook has been around for several years and has proved to have staying power, I don't see it going away in the next 10 years. This episode is not going to become irrelevant by next week.

Liked this far more than any of the other eps this season. I love when the kids are kids dealing with regular things. The Tron stuff was ok but overall, I just like these types of episodes. Cartman's podcast was hilarious and I loved the graph of Farmville info/stock in the background.

Semaj likes this.

And yes, I have seen Tron.

4.5/5

Thread Information