View Poll Results: How would you rate "The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed"?

Voters
224. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: A Ned Flanders Experience

14 6.25%
  • 4/5: Born again

19 8.48%
  • 3/5: The best seats are in back

20 8.93%
  • 2/5: Why have you forsaken me!?

43 19.20%
  • 1/5: Hell is this Simpsons episode

90 40.18%
  • 0/5: Homer died for your sins.

38 16.96%
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed" (MABF10)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed" (MABF10)

March 28, 2010 • The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed (MABF10)
    "The Simpsons are going to..." Jerusalem, when Ned invites Homer along on a church retreat, only for Homer to retreat to the hotel buffet most of the time

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: bartyboy

Holy crap (probably a better description for 1 star)
    That was rapid-fire and non-stop terrible. Not a single funny joke.
    Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage.

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

new contender for my least favorite episode. not one funny moment, the whole thing was way too wacky for me to enjoy, and the tour guide got seriously annoying. please, 0/5 option...

Oh dear.

I'd hope that this episode will replace Simpson Safari as the one everybody complains about. Atleast Simpson Safari had good one-liners.

Blog Entries

The tour guy got annoying (although he did have a few good lines), but other than that I didn't have a problem with this episode. Flanders was very well-characterized, and they didn't make Homer too unlikeable. A few more laugh-out-loud moments would have been nice, but nothing really bombed either. Eh, not really much to say about this one, don't understand the rabid hatred it seems to be receiving but then again, I never do so what the hell do I know? 11/15
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

Blog Entries

I thought this was a mostly great episode. I thought the plot was cleverly handled and I thought there were a load of great, funny jokes. I also thought the characterization was pretty good. However, did we really need Lisa hurting Bart? 4/5

Absolutely horrible. Poor story, sloppy transitions, cringeworthy humour. Possibly a new worst episode ever contender for me, and I'm not even going to waste my time commenting more on this one for now. 1/5
    To view various lists about my Simpsons opinions, click the link below.

http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=27253

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by D'ohmer View Post
    However, did we really need Lisa hurting Bart?
    yes

Blog Entries

^if you're gonna complain about that, at least complain about the other girl beating up bart. or what, is that magically better/funnier/more acceptable simply because it wasn't lisa

That was a pretty bad episode. I hated Sacha Baron Cohen's character, the voice was loud, and annoying. It was like he was trying to do the Borat voice, yet sort-of disguise it. The character as a whole was unfunny, and pointless. Homer making Flanders do a vampire noise was my least favorite joke. Practically every joke fell flat. A lot of it was due to jerkass Homer, and just plain idiotic jokes. I did like the Lawerence Of Arabia and vegetables visiting Homer thing a little bit. I'm glad they didn't play the messiah for to long. Yet it had another cheap quick fix ending. While it was not as terrible as last week's episode it still was awful. 1/5

That Jewish guy who keeps talking (tour guide) must be the most annoying Simpsons character of all time. Thumbs way the eff down. Down, down, down.

I normally like new episodes, but this was pretty bad.

It just felt like Family Guy to me. Pointless, boring, and embarrassing. I hope next week is better.

1/5

Blog Entries

I think part of the problem here is that when you watch The Simpsons, you need to understand that it's not always going to be serious, focused on writing, ect. I'm not saying that this episode was perfect, I'm just saying that the writers should be allowed to create "just for fun" episodes like this where you can just sit back and enjoy. This isn't Family Guy, the writers can't write episodes with low-brow humor all the time (although from what I've seen of FG, I would say that I prefer this). That's why I understand it when they want to create those types of episodes. I'm not going to force my opinion on others, I'm just saying what I think.

Blog Entries

if you wanna be technical, you could say basically any episode is a "just for fun" episode, especially within the last decade or so

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

I was in an insufferably good mood today and that was basically my only hope for liking this episode. Unsurprisingly, it did not carry through.

I mean Israel is a fucking shithole to begin with so naturally an episode taking place there was going to piss me off but wow, that was just aimless, beyond off-the-wall, hyped up on cocaine and fucking bad.

I'm going to keep this brief so I don't start getting into a political mess here but... man. Man. Weak premise to get them to go there (Homer's description of the country in the all-too short first act was dead on) and no conflict. At least the last "The Simpsons are going to...!" in Ireland had a conflict. This was just... mindless and incredibly unfunny.

I can't decide whether or not to give them points for Cohen's character because he was annoying and impossible to understand, which is actually pretty true to life when it comes to Israelis, but at the same time, doesn't really work when he's delivering the majority of your jokes.

Fake, uninteresting conflict between Homer and Flanders - and it wasn't even revisited - and then suddenly Homer thinks he's the messiah for absolutely no reason, and once he does, everybody now thinks they're the messiah. Aaaalllriiiight. Homer delivers something pseudo-inspiring and everything's happy and I don't care.

That's probably the best way to sum up the episode: I don't care.

But hey, I'm not completely devoid of humour. So in the spirit of the episode...

Mah zeh? Harah, rak harah. Ein davar tov b'kol zeh ki ein davar, nekuda. Loh loh loh, loh ahavti et zeh. Ein harbeh milim... aval ein harbeh milim b'kol zeh. V'zeh? Loh tov. Rah. Rah meod. V'gam, atem sh'kotvim et zeh? Anashim medabrim maher b'eevreet? Sleecha - loh tov, od paam. Lamah? Lamah atem osim it zeh. Lamah atem choshvim sh'zeh yihiyeh tov? Teepesh, teepesh, teepesh. Kol zeh harah. Lech lizdayn.

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

Why did they have someone narrating the last fifteen minutes of the episode? Did this happen to anyone or else or was it just the local Fox station doing it?

2/5

This episode was very bland. The scenery was beautiful. But the tour often drags on aimlessly. Having Krusty as a character on the tour was nice, but like many other characters, he gets put to little use. The scene with Bart fighting the girl seemed to be padding. My favorite scene was when the tour guide was shouting Hebrew and he gets bleeped twice. I wonder why Bart, Lisa, and Ned were not wearing those white robes that Homer and all the other tourists were wearing. I wish they would stop making "traveling to a foreign country" episodes.

One final question, in the closing credits, one of the guest stars is YAEL NAIM.

Does anyone know who this person is and what character this person voiced?
    Last edited by biffwestwood; 03-28-2010 at 08:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Miller View Post
    if you wanna be technical, you could say basically any episode is a "just for fun" episode, especially within the last decade or so
    No, I think being technical is going through every episode and actually analyzing the quality of it, rather than enjoying it, which is the main purpose of the show. I can accept people not enjoying episodes of this type, but this is just my perspective on the show.

Blog Entries

she's a French singer, so I'm guessing the girl?

Blog Entries

No, I think being technical is going through every episode and actually analyzing the quality of it, rather than enjoying it, which is the main purpose of the show. I can accept people not enjoying episodes of this type, but this is just my perspective on the show.
    you can enjoy it basically no matter what, as long as "there's not too much lisa". others have things we worry about- characterization for example, you said in the past you don't care how characters are characterized.

Blog Entries

No, that's not true at all. I criticize episodes if there was something impacting my enjoyment of it, such as terrible characterizations of any character. I don't think this episode had much that really stopped me from enjoying it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yael_Naim

Anyways, I dunno what to give at this time.....

2.5/5ish

The reality is that both your post and his should be bannable offenses. Pure ignorance about the show's current-day content is just as offensive as wearing blinders to mediocrity and openly praising everything.
    - Brad Lascelle,
    even if I don't agree on a post like mine in which I did not watch a new episode of OFF and still give it a negative rating should result in banning

Blog Entries

No, that's not true at all.
    you said in a previous thread this season that characterization means very little to you. i remember because i asked "Then what makes an episode good to you."

but to me, i don't know why we're talking about characterization, i didn't really think anyone in this was characterized wrong, except possibly homer

and the guide was annoying as hell

Blog Entries

D'ohmer, I understand what you're saying and I even agree with you to an extent. However, the reason this place even exists is to over analyze every small detail. I'm annoyed by a lot less than most (most of you probably think I'm way too tolerant, which is probably true), but there are things that annoy me in the show, and an episode can't be enjoyable if there is not some quality. I'm not saying it has to be perfect--I enjoyed this episode and it was far from perfect--but others have different standards of how far away from perfect an episode can be.

As an aside, I highly recommend low standards, it will make your viewing experience much more pleasurable

Blog Entries

In some episodes that aren't focused on characterization, like this one, it does. If an episode like Bart Sells His Soul had terrible characterization, which it didn't, then I would complain about it. I mean, as long as the characterization is still believable for the character.

Al;so, I agree that the guide was annoying, but I think he was supposed to be.

Edit: Animal, if those things don't let you enjoy the episode as much, I can understand that and you have every right to complain about them. I just try to view the episode more "overall."
    PS: I don't have low standards

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the letters in MABF in the production line stand for:

Moronic, Assanine, Boring & Fruitless.

Like most of S21, "D'ohed" has got to the be the most disapointing thing since Justin Swarenie (sp). However, unlike Justin Swarenie, this will have fans because it's a Simpsons episode, and there'll be pain reading about how some of the 'fans' thought this was handed to them on a ray of light by God.

You see, when an episode that deals with Ned Flanders being concerned about religion airs and it has Homer as the main family member as the comedic foil, you know the 'conflict' of personalities is going to have Ned be nice while Homer is Stupid and/or irritating to the umpteenth power. SUPRISE! This one is no different.

In order to make this episode look like there's a conflict, Homer's gone batshit and is defaming every Holy Land stereotype while Tourist Guide Jacob is constantly bitching about....everything. I guess Sachel Baron Cohen needs an open mic night. But anyway, the story stumbles along as Ned tries to get Homer to see the light, but of course, the cartoon clown doesn't see anything but an opportunity to cause more eye-rollling, ball numbing slapstick that doesn't even come close to the defintion of 'funny.' And when you have Bart getting kicked in the crotch as the gag that's the closest thing to being funny, you know the episode has serious problems.

Even worse, when the Jersulselum 'twist' started...yeah. I wonder if Jean and Scully had a bad night of drinking and said: "Hey, Al! Let's take the worst parts of our tenures as showrunners and combine them! Two wrongs CAN make a right!" When this episode was over, it made "Bart Mangled Banner" look like enlightening entertainment.

Grade: F (1/5)
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 03-29-2010 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Smiley View Post
    Why did they have someone narrating the last fifteen minutes of the episode? Did this happen to anyone or else or was it just the local Fox station doing it?
    Your TV's audio setting was set to descriptive audio or whatever it's called. It's meant for the visually impaired.

Blog Entries

i'm gonna rewatch this next time it's on, because i wasn't in the zone or something. the first act me and my friend were texting causing me to concentrate more on that then anything else. i doubt i missed anything in those 3 minutes, but i definitely need a rewatch of this episode, like i did with boy meets curl

I would've liked it better if Skinner was the one bringing Bart over to Israel, but this one worked just as well. Gee! These travel-logs sure are swell!.. I learned a lot.
    Homer gave the holy lands a good going over! 5/5

"אין כזה תנין כמו אלוהים שלנו

Thread Information