50 32.89%
  • 5/5 - Gold

24 15.79%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: R/R Boy Meets Curl

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

R/R Boy Meets Curl

After discovering their love of curling Marge and Homer try out for the Olympic team and actually make it to the 2010 Vancouver Games. Meanwhile, in Vancouver, Lisa develops an addiction to collecting Olympic pins.

Blog Entries

Fly-in: Good
    Couch gag: Great

During this episode, I did a drinking game. Everytime Lisa did something I didn't like (maybe she was annoying or something), I took a sip. Unfortunately, I finished my can of seltzer. She got on my nerves in several instances. I also don't like Bart coming in and helping her. I thought that was a poor turn for the plot. The only thing I liked from the subplot was Homer's face pin and I liked it being brought back at the end. 2/5
    Edit: I also liked Milhoose from the subplot.

Fortunately, I loved the rest of the episode. I thought the characterization of all four were great, I loved the plot eexecution, the jokes (such as The Simpsons Movie reference) and I had a great time watching it. 5/5

So, a great main plot brought down by a crappy subplot. Like I predicted. 4/5 (Silver)

Last edited by D'ohmer; 02-14-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

poll?

First off, what were the opening gags? I missed them.

First act- Homer and Marge can't do their date night. Well they can, but they see a movie, but immediately walked out after learning who was in it. They then wanna go ice skating, but the rink is closed for curling. Homer and Marge try it and discover they like it a lot, and they are quite good. So Skinner thinks they should go for the Winter Olympics.

Second Act- Homer and Marge play a game of curling, and Lisa begins her fascination with the pins for the sub plot.

Third Act- Lisa becomes more obsessed and Marge gets hurt.

Fourth Act- Homer and Marge play curling despite Marge being hurt, and they win.

Wow, just wow. The only thing I liked was the first act. Quite literally, I HATED every thing after that. Every joke {even "Boob lady", I don't know others' opinion, but I thought that sucked}. Lisa's sub plot started OK enough, but scenes with her say, her entire dress supposedly being gone {and the pins covering her body}, I hated. I thought the end with all of Springfield watching the Simpsons could have been kinda good, but then we get another cheap joke about Harry Potter.

I also hated the running gags, like Homer in the sled{?}, going down all those things, and then he just stops in a car parking spot. That was made worse even, for me, when it turns out Maggie was in it.

So wow. Not only would I give this a 0/5 {1/5 for poll}, but I consider this the worst of the season, and, a rarity: my new least favorite of the series.

The US making the gold medal hockey game was quite the bold prediction.

This is a difficult one to analyze. On the one hand you've got two or three horrid gags (and they aren't short either) and some very lame stereotypes. On the other I was pleased with the interaction of the characters which seemed a little more focused than usual nowadays. The subplot I thought was one of the better parts of the episode, but was it ever fully resolved? Either it was so fast I missed or they didn't even bother. Far from a great outing and with a ton of flaws, but I guess it's not without its moments. 2/5 (D+)
    To view various lists about my Simpsons opinions, click the link below.

http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=27253

Seemed preety good considering. I guess now we know why Agnes hated her son for so long (doesn't make it right, but at least she showed love for him which I honestly thought was impossible and should be shown more often). Also, it's nice that they didn't go to the extreme in bashing Canada, eh?

3.5-4/5

Oh, and to Answer Nauru-1, the subplot was resolved when Bart made that fake Russian mascot out of the bottom half of Homer's eyes down to his muzzle for the 2014 winter olympics called "fatnut", I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bea O Problem View Post
    First off, what were the opening gags? I missed them.
    me too, stupid local fox station cut to the gypsy having a heart attack i presume.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Tarot cards:

Homer: King of Cups
    Marge: Queen of Cups
    Maggie: Death
    Bart: The Fool
    Lisa: High Princess

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeHarmMustDie! View Post
    Oh, and to Answer Nauru-1, the subplot was resolved when Bart made that fake Russian mascot out of the bottom half of Homer's eyes down to his muzzle for the 2014 winter olympics called "fatnut", I believe.
    As I said in the other thread, I was definitely aware of this part, but I thought they would have at least shown Bart giving the pearls back to Lisa. Leaving it the way I think they did was pretty disappointing IMO.

One of my least favorites ever. Lisa to me once again was annoying. Homer/Marge plot was ok, not my favorite either. Not one of my favorites of the season. 2/5

Bart V.S Bob!
    Bart fan!

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: D'ohmer

Junior Camper

Solid episode 4/5. I may be in the minority but I liked the Simpsons Movie reference.

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: D'ohmer

Blog Entries

i copied some posts from the other thread, contents may have settled during shipping

"That delivery has less juice than Sunny Delight"

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: The Wiggs

Blog Entries

are we supposed to totally ignore everything in Principal and the Pauper {although i know of course most people would want to}? I mean, just cos Judge Snyder said "No one can speak of it again", as soon as Agnes talked about being pregnant with Skinner, I thought of this episode. Is this a continuity error or are people just not supposed to care at all about it?

Blog Entries

are we supposed to totally ignore everything in Principal and the Pauper {although i know of course most people would want to}? I mean, just cos Judge Snyder said "No one can speak of it again", as soon as Agnes talked about being pregnant with Skinner, I thought of this episode. Is this a continuity error or are people just not supposed to care at all about it?
    I think we are. That baby was probably the real Skinner, so everything that happened in that episode was supposed to have never happened.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Hey! They remembered to resolve the subplot this time!

Really derivative episode, but enjoyable enough nonetheless.

But first off: What is with this show having to go with idiotic sitcom tropes? Really, guys? Agnes was actually once in the Olympics as a serious medal contender but then it was tragically ruined for her by the mo-- this isn't even worth acknowledging beyond that much. Just plain fucking stupid.

Not to mention the weird vibe it gives in light of The Principal and the Pauper. I don't even know what to think about this. They aren't biologically related but Agnes hates him for this and I can't figure out of this is supposed to be funny or just add some trippy layer of disturbing complexity to to their relationship so I'll just go with, I'm looking into this way too much and stopping right now. Just. ... Weird.

But Agnes randomly forgiving Skinner in the end was fucking pointless. I'm sorry, was I supposed to feel something there? What the hell? Everything involving these two either made no sense or was just plain inane.

I thought the episode actually started off fairly strongly, though. Mostly on the note that curling, if you think about it - the way the episode pointed it out - curling really is a good sport for Homer and Marge together. So. That was nice to see! Some fairly cute stuff between the two.

Too bad it got marred by having the conflict get a deus ex machina resolution by having Marge actually being left-handed. But afraid to use it because she'd look weird. Despite Springfield being such a largely left-handed city. They have a store for it, for fuck's sake. That was just pointless and another moronic, simplistic, easy way out of... what wasn't even that interesting a conflict in the first place. 'kay, guys.

And what, no love for Canada? They couldn't have put us on the podium? The Swedish jokes were okay, though, and I actually thought quite a few moments in the episode hit - like the Curly/Moe bit, the bobseld, or the meta remark on Homer's daydreaming. The "boob lady" reference started out nicely and it was kind of a nice surprise to see her, even though she wasn't the best in the movie, move references are still nice to see pop up. Too bad it dragged out far too much... the "my former therapist" remark was a good one but then it went... yeah... too long and concluded very lamely.

The subplot was... very unremarkable, but I did love the resolution. And the veryvery end was a nice little callback. That was great.

So... enjoyable enough, but yeah, very derivative. It was decent enough, entertaining enough... But! Now, back to the real olympics! Men's moguls! Canada is doing awesome right now, own the podium!

The modern fan base has a new favorite episode!... the Curling one.
    Good fun with Olympic proportions! 5/5

Seeing Homers movie sage was awesome! Lisa has a pin collecting addiction,.. cool!
    And Seymor and his mom had a tender moment, That was a first!
    Put me down for 2 more eps like this one!

THANK YOU.

that really bothered me.

I would have overlooked that (maybe) if it was a funny episode.

I don't know why people are so easy these days when it comes to the new episodes.

everything about this episode was annoying. it was the first episode where I kept jumping in between the amazing race and the actual episode. I should have left it on the amazing race.

Very piss poor episode. I sat there hoping that the subplot would be mildly entertaining.

(wow....so many people rated this a 4???).

I would love to see what a 1 is to you people.

1/5

Blog Entries

when that moment with agnes and baby skinner came on, I thought of principal and the pauper. I don't know why, but it's like that moment ruined this whole episode. after that I hated literally everything out of the episode. Boobs Lady returning, Lisa's sub plot, every single joke. I just wanted the episode to be done.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

4/5

I laughed more than I arched an eyebrow in confusion.

Milhoose.
    UP AND ATOM!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    Milhoose.
    Thanks you for reminding me of that. That was also hilarious (IMO).

when that moment with agnes and baby skinner came on, I thought of principal and the pauper. I don't know why, but it's like that moment ruined this whole episode. after that I hated literally everything out of the episode. Boobs Lady returning, Lisa's sub plot, every single joke. I just wanted the episode to be done.
    me too. I thought of the principal and the pauper. Then I thought about the audio commentary of the P and the P. (I don't know if you ever heard it), but I forgot who was on it, but it had 2 of the writers complaining and going balls out saying along the lines how they are proud of coming up with the idea how skinner isn't really agnes' kid. They went on for 15 minutes or so.

And that homer/boobs lady thing was just.....silly.

Blog Entries

A solid 4/5. Jokes were brilliant, I loved Skinner's apology for him kicking in the womb (it seems I'm not a continuity whore. If something makes me laugh, I enjoy it. It's possibly the reason I enjoyed That 90's Show. But, hey, sue me.)

Also, I absolutely loved Bart's fake Olympic Mascot pin. I wonder if that's the sole reason they introduced that plotline, just to include that joke? Wouldn't surprise me.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

Let's see ...

The Simpsons go to Canada ... that was done before. But I did like the curling aspect. Bowling for Homer and sweeping for Marge. Glad to see the two of them enjoyed playing together. But Lisa collecting Olympic pins? That was just too wacky. Especially when Lisa traded her pearls and her dress. Plus it was sad to see that others traded their pets for pins. For shame.

And the whole "upside-down Homer's mouth" pin dancing at the end was unnecessary.

3/5, or an average C.

Quote Originally Posted by The J Man View Post
    "That delivery has less juice than Sunny Delight"
    The one good part of the episode. I would've liked the Simpsons movie reference if it hadn't been dragged out so long. It should've ended after Homer said, "She used to be my therapist". 2/5.

Good:

without my pearls im just a big maggie
    there is no dress
    more power plant scenes, please
    skinner in the womb

BAD

milhoose
    boob lady
    unfunny wiggum
    3 stooges joke
    marge is left handed now
    bad ending

another 2.5/5 from me

Awful.

Nothing was even remotely funny. The jokes were lame. Canada is cold? Really? People do not know about curling? Is that it? Canadians say "oot" and "hoser." Yeah, that is not something that was done to death in the fucking 1980s. Homer rides a bobsleigh and then it parks? Great... Oh, but wait, Marge is taking the stone through the concessions area before putting in the center of the house. That is comedy gold. A load of unfunny trash. I have no idea how I can be disappointed when I expected nothing going in. This was just something else though. I really should have watched "Planet Earth" for the 93rd time. "The Simpsons" is now neck and neck with "The Cleveland Show" for worst animated show in the history of the world for all time including forever. The moments that might not have been television cancer, like the Curly trials, were overlong and lost any cuteness they might have had.

The writer deserves to catch...um, what is worse than AIDS?... whatever it is the person who wrote this episode deserves it for putting out such complete and utter shit. People who found this funny should to be run over by a bus.

I do not even care about rewriting the history. "The Simpsons" is like professional wrestling now. People who watched ten years ago are not watching now. But at least make it good and/or funny. This was just lame. It felt like it was aimed at eight year olds. "... Flapjack" has better/more mature jokes. Not every joke has to be a bullseye, but the writers cannot even hit the board now. This show needs to die.

I could not even vote on this episode as I would feel dirty giving it a 1/5. Rating it one star out of any number is being generous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    (wow....so many people rated this a 4???).

I would love to see what a 1 is to you people.

1/5
    For some people--"mongoloids" we used to call them--anything with the family Simpson is at least a three star episode. For one star the show would have to feature Peter Griffin.

I really wonder what people would rate this if it was any other show. If it was Peter Griffin would people still find it to be as funny (you know, those who are making that outrageous claim that this was entertaining.)? If if was not Homer and Marge curling but Peter and Lois or Fred and Wilma or "Al" and Peg would people still be laughing?
    Last edited by that_jeff; 02-14-2010 at 07:06 PM.

Blog Entries

Very solid episode. I really enjoyed this episode and think it's definitely one of the better for this season, so far anyways. Couch gag was good, jokes were good and overall it was a good episode. Although I didn't really like the sub-plot, it was still a good episode.

I'd give it a 3.5 rating, 4 for the poll.

There was nothing special about this episode. They must've prepared for this if they got both a Valentine's and and Olympic story to work with, but most of what we were given was quite lame. The eps where they travel to different nations are starting to be like using the same tea bag for the 5th time; you're only going to have so many country references for each new place they go, including foreign variations of familiar characters before it loses its flavor.

A lot of secrets about Marge. Hazel eyes, left-handed, possibly different natural hair color...what next?

2.5/5

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

MY REVIEW:

Well here we are two weeks after two, back-to back shit terrible episodes. I had witnessed the atrocity of the Pullizter Prize defaming episode "Thursdays with Senility" and "I avoided my Marrige (Crisis) With Money." You'd think having two bad episodes like that would prepare for this sunday's showing...and well it did, kinda sort of. Not since the Season 11 have I seen a run of episodes so consistantly devoid of humor that they make me seem humorous.

Anyway, we have toningt's "Boy Meets Curl," a title that would aptly describe Bart taking a trip to the hair salon, but it's not. Well, anyhow the shit gets started when Homer and Marge decide to go out for the evening, both are dressed up nicely, almost to the nines, and Marge is looking for some Puffery (thanks Dominos!) from the kids and Homer is expecting fawning admiration from his bro-hos. Well, almost according to clockwork, Homer's hopes and dreams are dashed as Mr. Burn all too convienently has something to eat up Homer's time by finding a pinhole leak in a haystack of piping. Well, if Homer wants something, he's bound to find away to snooker someone, and what I don't understand is why Homer couldn't just lie to Mr. Burns and say he found the leak five seconds after Burns left and THEN go on the date? I mean, Mr. Burns can't even remember Homer's name for god's sake so I doubt he could find the actually leak any faster, unless he's a 104yr old piping savant, or something. Just last week the character who looks like Homer couldn't tell Marge he won the lottery yet can't tell his senile boss he 'found' a leak Mr. Burns would've forgotten about asking as he was going down on Prussia?

Moving on we're shown a paordy of a parody of a show about Housewives as Marge stares at the TV in boredom. Okay, nothing too stupid or too funny here as i felt like Marge, but of course, a show about oppulent, bitchy Housewives could come from a town filled with married cousins. Next, we're in the theatre and of course anyone could relate to this scene: the annoying couple with Marital problems, the ice munching asswipe, the bitch on the cellphone. About the only characters missing was the annyoing teenage guys who like to throw shit, but they probalby knew this was a Ben Affleck flick beforehand. Well, this had to be my first laugh of the night as Homer and Marge saw "the Aflfleck" and got the hell out of Dodge. Too bad, a needed-for-once Jerkass Homer didn't just get up and started screaming at everyone to SHUT THE HELL UP!, but you know, recently, he's only good at doing that to family members and his friends.

A few moments later, Homer and Marge just happen to drive by an ice rink and decide to take a little bromantic ice mating only to find the skating has been shutdown for the quirky sport known as curling. At first, Homer is all like "what the fuck!?" and Skinner, in his ooey-gooey expository goodness decides to tell the Natural bowler and natural sweeper tonight's their lucky night! So, as usual, Homer and Marge turn their frowns upside down and take to the ice, but before hand, for some fucked up reason, possibly in a plagerized line, Homer breaks out in his Sideshow Mel impression and Marge follows up with an equally stupid: "This is like you're like when you don't drink!" Huh? What? You mean Homer's constantly drunk 24/7? WTF Marge? Don't you even know Homer? Are you having an affair with Barney on the side!? Goddman blue haired wh-

Er, back to the episode...as usual, Homer and Marge take to the sport and according to plan...fall in love with the sport. You know, I always wondered, I'd love to see an episode where Homer and Marge wind up at some social club at 2:20 Wendsday morning due to a failed date, look at what's going on and say: "Hell, no! We'll have no part in this! You all need to get your heads examined! We're not going to be part THAT kind of movie! No, I'm not wearing handcuffs!" It'd be original, emotional, be a sight to behold and probably leaked to rule 34.com

As expected, Homer and Marge become curling prodigies, and are the happy couple in this 'sport' as they represent the innocent, 'we're here for fun side' of the team in direct opposite of Skinner and Agnes where winning is everything and more. As the months pass, Homer and Marge are now talking shop about curling back home as Lisa and Bart are wondering if Marge is now drinking as much as Homer, er, I mean if Homer and Marge are up to something naughty.

Before anyone can act even more puzzled, Skinner decides to stop by for some curling breakfast-banter. As usual, Captain Expository further moves the story along by talking about Eau Claire (30 mins from my house!) being the curling capital, or something. Next, pun-ishment goes into high gear as Homer, Marge keep they eye rolling alive as they EXPLAIN they're joking! Really? REALLY!? Of course, no pun can go uncoupled without the obigitory Homer fantasy. At least Homer didn't go into some weird dream about curly fries, or the curling that makes the curly fries curly or some shit like that. And then Captain Expository continues as Marge plays expository wife to Homer's unseen dream. At this point thanks to the story being completely boring and unengaging, I was smiling and daydreaming about Marge naked.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Soon, as we see Homer and Marge curling away, we see a flashback to when Agnes was pregnant with Seymour....huh? Well, I guess I won't even wrap my head around this continuity bender. Speaking of continuity, maybe in the last episode we'll have Homer quantum leap himself into his mother's womb before he's born and he can strangle himself with his umbilicle cord so all that follows never happened and people can STFU about the Simpsons continuity....So, Agnes describes bitchingly how Seymour messed up her Olympic chances by taking down the bar in the pole vault. Well, maybe she shouldn't have gone off and did some of that other kind of 'pole vaulting' with Sgt. Korea that got her into that predicament in the first place. And now through some displaced id she's worried about Homer dragging the team down? If I was Marge, I woud've gone and smothered here with a pillow while she slept.

Then we're to OMFG THAT DAMN CURLY JOKE! BLECHHH!!!! WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO BEAT THIS SHIT OVER OUR HEADS!!!??? We got the 3 Stooges Joke 4 seconds after you started it!!!!

Hey, writers...brevity is wit, punk ass!

And so the evolution of Homer and Marge's curling continues and Marge manages to sweep her way into the olympic (aka Ghostbusterfest in 3D on Ice) games with a make shift cafeterial-corner curve sweep that not only wins gold medals but defies cartoon physics. So, as usual, they win and add another 8 minutes to the episode so that gives the family time to make it to Canada-eh? where Bart and Lisa meet Milhouse dressed up as a Canadian along with Nelson. Oh, yeah...more eye rolling. Visual aid:

But wait! All is not perfect with the Curling Couple--in order to create some sort of conflict to cheer for Homer and Marge beyond the fact they're the protagonsists, Pruneface decides to talk shit about Homer to Marge and Marge, by golly ain't gonna take that! So, the indestructable Homer takes a ride on a bobsled out of the buffet, down the track and winds up in their hotel parking spot. I guess the writers needed a way for Homer to get back to the hotel, or someting while Marge is left with the car. That joke wasn't the least bit funny and was just there so we could see Homer take a trip on a bobsled...down a track...off a ski jump...and into a parking spot. Thank god the episodes aren't two minutes longer, or we'd see Homer taking the damn sled through a Burger King drive thru, or on a road trip to the Edmunton Mall, eh...

Meanwhile, Lisa is going through a crack-addict like addiction pins. Really? Was he curling plot thinner than mid-rink ice? Anyway, I can't say the subplot was bad, or something, but it strangely had a better vibe to it than the main plot, but I guess the writers can only hash this out in small doses. At least in the comical sence, this was funnier than the main plot and the line: "Without the pearls, I'm just a big Maggie!" was the best line of the night. Right you are, Lisa, right you are. However, the cure to Lisa's disease was much worse: A pin that's made out of a picture!? Don't give me this "It's a cartoon" shit. Yeah, the Pin-fantasy was a bit odd, but even someone who wasn't a dealer could tell a piece of paper from a metal pin.

Back to the ice: As usual Homer is shooting blanks and the curling rock thing didn't have spirit to make it to center circle, so Marge goes apeshit sweeping the ice and to add ANY tension to the episode, she breaks her arm...dislocates her shoulder, as diagnosed by Dr. Hibbert who happens to be 5 feet away off screen to tell Marge what is wrong. (Or, maybe that was a Candadian Dr. Hibbert who looked like regular Dr. Hibbert?) Anyway, once we get past that convienent "character was there", Marge and the family are ready to give up in defeat and are at their lowest, LIGHTNING STRIKES so we can get behind Homer and Marge! Marge is actually left handed and will win the Gold...wait, you mean when she was curling before, her left arm didn't matter? Her right arm was just slowing her down? Thank the lord she broke her arm / dislocated her shoulder / or whatever made her arm go snap. Maybe to add some real suspense, Marge's head could've just fallen off for no reason, perhaps? North American Hibbert could've then appeared out of nowhere and something that might've made sense like: "This woman will never do anything ever again."

Wow, a Harry Potter joke. I guess I was right...Moe DID make an appearence near the end!

Back at the Olympics, of course Homer and Marge were going to win the gold and the obvious ending wasn't the least bit dramatic, I mean like WTF if Homer and Marge had gone all the way (shut up) and lost at the very end, the ending would've had a lot more weight. The last act just seemed to silly and convinient so the story could end in the alloted time. Of course it might seem schmaltzy, but I would've had loved to see Homer and Marge get to the very end and lose, yet realize that winning was only part of the experience and the most important thing was they really loved eachother. And of course the drama of them gong the distance would've actually meant something. Yeah, you might think that's sugary, manipulative, sappy, buttery, blah, blah, whatever, but that would be no more manipulative than the constant Homer and Marge love-mugging the camera every 32 seconds. At least experiencing a loss would've made this feel like a Simpsons episode than some jackoff trying to shove a fairytale plot into a story that didn't need one. I mean, c'mon people this is the Simpsons, not Enchanted Curling, or some Disney shit.

I know a lot of people who like to say: "Jake the old episodes were too sitcommy and they sucked!" well, the only difference between the sitcommy Simpsons and season 21 simpsons is the plots much more outlandish and the character are more like idealisms than people addressed as cartoons. Shit, man ,the only thing that makes the two-bit sitcom worse than a 2/5 Simpsons episode is a sitcom contains a laugh track.

But I suppose I better wrap up this review: I guess this wasn't an episode I call 'good' but it was better than the past two shitstorms that made me filled with murderous bitterness that made me want to kick my cat. Overall it was a 2/5, but had the episode just seemed to end to conviently with Homer and Marge coming in first place and the jokes were dragged on too long and the subplot was much better than main one. At least in the subplot, you could even 'root' for Lisa, even though we knew she was getting over her 'addiction.'

A 2/5, and in the light of the past two episodes, that's a good thing.

EDIT: I forgot about "Once upon a time in Springifeld" in the first few paragraphs, but...meh.
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 02-15-2010 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    like every episode made in the past 10 years, this was fucking awful and you're wrong if you think otherwise

Thread Information