20 13.16%
  • 0/5

6 3.95%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: R/R Million Dollar Maybe

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

R/R Million Dollar Maybe

Homer blows off Marge to buy a lottery ticket and winds up winning the million-dollar jackpot. Fearing how Marge will react if she finds out the reason Homer missed their date, Homer keeps his newly inherited fortune a secret and spoils his family with “anonymous” gifts. When Bart finds out, he and Homer spend the money like it’s going out of style, including buying front-row to tickets to see Coldplay in concert.

Irreverent Humor Throughout Blake's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well a god awful Wii parody was bound to happen eventually. But with that and coldplay's appearance this episode gets a 2/5. I'm done, I can't stand to watch this show anymore
    Last edited by Blake; 08-12-2010 at 07:45 PM.

It was okay...I didn't see the relevance of the Zii to the rest of the episode.

Highs: Emerson, Lake & Palmer (HUGE fan of them)
    Lows: Cheesy storyline

3/5
    "Please do not offer my god a peanut." -Apu

Favorite episode: "Homer the Heretic"

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This episode started off cute with Homer and Marge having a good time (and the episode had a good vibe) but after the lottery line jokes (how long can they stretchhhhhhh that out?), this went downhill awfully fast.

The terrible sounding Barney decides to come up with a hacknied idea of Homer "just happening" to find things for the family? Homer tossing Bart around like a midget? Animation flatter than day-old soda? It became a bit less nausiating when Bart started blackmailing Homer, but still it had the "lets throw together an ending that sort-of makes sense". I didn't think an episode as awful as "Thursdays with Abie" could air a week later, but wow...

Oh, and 'cute sentimental endings' only mean something when the episode it bookends is actually worth watching.

1/5: 3rd worst behind "Thursdays" and "Alligator."

DYK: "Neanderthal Man!", as said by Nancy Cartwright in a recording session, was on the Spurlock Special.
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 01-31-2010 at 06:11 PM.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Agreed on the Zii being unnecessary. I liked Homer's plot though.

LOVED the build up of Ricardo and the quick death. Very edgy mid-90's Simpsons.

3/5 due to the lame B-story
    UP AND ATOM!

Blog Entries

Seeing as there was a 0/5 option given in the poll, I'm surprised you didn't select it for a change, Jake.

BTW: good tags.

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked it, I thought it was nice for Homer to be nice to the family {minus the part where he threw Bart}. I also didn't mind the Wii parody as much as others {though it's weird, my aunt was talking about wanting to buy one earlier}. And the ending was OK but didn't really have to be emotional or anything. 4/5.

Blog Entries

Wow, if this episode doesn't get good reviews, I'll be a little sad. I know it's just an opinion, but I thought it was superb in pretty much every way and it is my new favorite of the season. I thought the main plot was a lot of fun with a lot of hilarious gags. I also thought that the ending was sweet and I thought the ending "phew" gag was great as well. I thought the subplot was a hilarious parody. Finally, I thought everyone was in character throughout. 5/5!

PS: I loved the couch gag!

PPS: I thought the new character was a good character.

PPPS: Don't expect great ratings for being on at the same time as The Grammys.
    Last edited by D'ohmer; 01-31-2010 at 05:43 PM.

I like this episode whole bunches. 3 good laugh out loud moments and plenty entertaining in between. If Simpsons is the opiate of the masses, then I want more opiate,.. and Simpsons 5/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by homer5000 View Post
    Seeing as there was a 0/5 option given in the poll, I'm surprised you didn't select it for a change, Jake.
    I didn't notice until I already voted and what idiot true fan would put it BELOW the 5/5 option!?

Quote Originally Posted by D'ohmer View Post
    Wow, if this episode doesn't get good reviews, I'll be a little sad. I know it's just an opinion, but I thought it was superb in pretty much every way and it is my new favorite of the season.
    I think I just threw up in my mouth.

The difference between you and me, D'ohmer, is I have an actual taste for Simpsons episodes and you just have a blind enthusiasm for the show. What's the difference? If you have a developed taste for something, you know it well enough to have a set standard for what makes a good episode and what makes a bad episode and you CARE enough to ask yourself: "Is this funny?" "Does it make sense?" "Was this worth my time to watch this?", whereas people who are blindly enthusiastic for the show tend to give out a 5/5 just because it's a Simpsons episode, usually a zany, off the wall escapade with Homer as the star screaming and acting like an idiot.

Good.
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 01-31-2010 at 06:24 PM.

Junior Camper

I really enjoyed it. I'll give a full review after a re-watch.

I laughed quite a bit. Some of you are beyond repair.

I'll give it a 3.75/5. I didn't like it as much as D'ohmer did, but I thought it had a number of good gags, and they took a pretty sitcommy main story but managed to turn it into something fun and ran with it. Some of the gags were a little lame and went on too long (Homer grumbling in the line came to mind, Marge's toast) but there was a lot of fun stuff in there.
    "Did you exchange, a walk on part in a war, for a lead role in a cage?"

No mention of the Ricardo Bamba fakeout from any of you!

I thought it was the best kind of screw the audience joke as I actually hated the idea of a fan made character.

Junior Camper

Sooooooooo do they still plan on bringing Ricardo back or what.

Anyway 3/5

Pros:
    _Homer learning Spanish.
    _Ricardo LaBomba being used as a 'screw the audience'. All the hype and he dies in 5 seconds, Fun!
    _Huge fan of Keith Emerson. I loved Homer mimicking the synth
    _Seniors pissing off the nurses "can you take my roommate out? he's dead"
    _Nice ending, had a 'duffless' vibe tho nowhere as effective because the episode wasn't too good.

Cons:
    _Plot was pretty sitcommish and for some reason, it reminded me of stereotypical American Dad. The execution was rather poor too.
    _I expected the Coldplay segment to be more memorable.
    _Terrible montage. What's happening to the Simpsons?
    _The characterization seemed off and some jokes were a bit ridiculous, like Homer throwing Bart like a midget (Jake's words) or the zero-G segment with Bart abusing Homer. In fact, I find Bart way too cruel.

2 stars I guess.
    Last edited by zitro; 01-31-2010 at 06:42 PM.

No, I think he's dead for good.

RIP Ricardo Bomba 2010-2010

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-e3 View Post

I laughed quite a bit. Some of you are beyond repair.
    I know. I'm not "fixed" like you.

EDIT:
    Ricardo Bomba looks like Gina Vendetti's father.
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 01-31-2010 at 06:01 PM.

GOOD:

Circuit Circus is back
    Mr Burns on the Zii (thats not how i remember it)
    Homer learns Spanish
    Sweet ending
    marge
    lenny

BAD

Homer has a my(i)phone now?
    the whole wii subplot, started off good though
    spiderpig
    the new character had no point
    coldplay thing just came out of nowhere
    neanderthal man

I've decided to give this one a 2.5/5. Some decent moments, but a rather lackluster episode.
    Last edited by bartyboy; 01-31-2010 at 06:21 PM.

1/5

Since season 1, I have never wanted to see The Simpsons win the lottery because that would cause the show to jump the shark. Final season of Roseanne began with that and the show fell in the toilet. Even though they decided to not change anything for future episodes, it doesn't work because they just tossed some stuff around in the last two acts to try to make a mercy killing on the whole thing.

I absolutely did not like the way they used the hyped up Ricardo Bomba. Just kill him off quickly and forget about him. I wouldn't be surprised if that scene was cut from syndication since the cameo appears tacked on. I clearly would've liked every member of Coldplay to have a speaking role instead of only Chris Martin. There was plenty of time for that.

I once started a "write an episode of The Simpsons" contest as a thread and asked if that would be a good idea for a contest. Personally, I would've preferred that instead. We could've had a much better episode instead of this.
    Last edited by biffwestwood; 01-31-2010 at 06:36 PM.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

That felt... dully average. I really can't think of much to say. The episode came and it went and nothing... really... happened?

Homer upsets Marge by standing her up. Homer wins a million dollars in the process. That's actually kind of a cool dilemma. Too bad nothing came as a result of it.

The set up was good but the execution was weak. After the intro the conflict is "I have all of this money - but Marge can't know!!" So he spends it anonymously on the family. And nothing happens. Homer's being a good dad. Which is, admittedly, rather nice to see, but at the same time it's... rather boring. And then Bart finds out. And blackmails. But by this point it's a little late to actually grab my interest.

It's the irritating, tired, and overused plot device of not letting your characters actually properly communicate with one another, and having everything resolved in the end by having them finally communicate with one another, and it turns out everything would have been totally okay from the start. Sigh. It just feels like a gigantic waste when you spend half an hour watching that, only to find out in the end that none of it really mattered. (For example - though the plot of Homer vs. Patty and Selma is partially like this, what-can't-be-said is revealed partway through and there's still a conflict going on!)

To be fair, there were some funny bits. The guest character worked well (but I'm getting the feeling I wouldn't have been so amused if I hadn't known of the contest beforehand; because I knew where it came from, the gag was actually hysterical), and some other jokes (Hitler's baseball, "I said a guy like me," what the government was going to use with the money, Homer learning Spanish so well, Homer tossing Bart around... I'm sure there were more but that's just off the top of my head) were funny as well.

But no... I was intrigued from the beginning and then it just kind of... petered out. In retrospect, I'm honestly not sure how else they would have gone. But that doesn't make me feel any less blank after watching it.

And this overuse of sentimental endings is really fucking annoying. Stop it. If you want a sentimental ending, give us damn good reason to feel for the characters during the episode (lack of conflict and then having it so easily resolved does not make me care. You can't just hope to bank off of characters' success from the past. Sure, it was nice seeing Homer being so considerate to his family, but it was only nice because I know who Homer is), and have it really, really, really mean something when you think about it (a married couple staying committed to each other is not going to cut it), not to mention downplaying it slightly so that the gravitas of the situation causes you to really think about it is going to help a lot. Tossing these "sentimental" endings around just takes away from any real impact any of them could potentially have nowadays. But really, there's a reason endings like Mother Simpson or And Maggie Makes Three's are so praised and touching as they are. Those are special. This is dreck.

Subplot screamed of a time-filler as well. There were what - three scenes related to it? Four? With, once again, no real conflict (or at least not one I can care about. The nurses have shitty jobs? I don't know these nurses. The fuck do I care? Am I supposed to sympathize with them? Am I supposed to feel bad for the old people because they aren't being given the chance to live anymore? What is the point?), and instead just pointlessly stacked in so the episode could hit a twenty minute mark.

Rather that's what the whole thing felt like. So. I don't know. It was mildly enjoyable, but really, really far from being anything special or memorable. It's episodes like this that really show the show's age because it felt like everyone was just going through the motions. The saving grace is the pretty cool premise and decent set up for it, but they just couldn't follow it through. Show's old. Characters are predictable. Please, just do something.

P.S. Show? I'm really happy for you that you can aspire to and actually create these really, really, really gorgeous backgrounds. They. Are. BEAUTIFUL. But you need a lot more than that. They should be the icing on the cake, so please, could you try to put more effort into the other aspects of the episode?

Wow, almost no one is enjoying the newer episodes such as tonight's. See what happens when you sign a contract promising more and more simpsons episodes but then don't even try to satisfy the fans. Everyone's complaining about the extended jokes, pointless montages, and now Ricardo Bomba from the create a character contest feels like the middle finger to the winner. Shame on you, Bill odenkirk. This is why i can't force myself to watch the newer episodes, there's just so much hate with most of em.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Ricardo Bomba looks like Gina Vendetti's father.
    I'm glad he died.

Honestly, the "create a character" contest winner seemed straight out of "Itchy, Scratchy & Poochie". I'm glad THe Simpsons haven't turned completely soft, catering to silly contests.

Quote Originally Posted by LaddyHomer View Post
    It was okay...I didn't see the relevance of the Zii to the rest of the episode.
    Thats how it goes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BGod84 View Post
    Wow, almost no one is enjoying the newer episodes such as tonight's. See what happens when you sign a contract promising more and more simpsons episodes but then don't even try to satisfy the fans. Everyone's complaining about the extended jokes, pointless montages, and now Ricardo Bomba from the create a character contest feels like the middle finger to the winner. Shame on you, Bill odenkirk. This is why i can't force myself to watch the newer episodes, there's just so much hate with most of em.

Goddammit dude, can you please stop forming your opinions based on consensus and stop commenting on something you've never seen? It's starting to get quite annoying.

---

Anyway, on to the episode--I enjoyed it overall. Sure some of the gags were a little over-extended, and the episode never quite lived up to the promise the first act offered, but still, it was an entertaining way to spend 30 minutes. I can understand not liking it, but really Jake? 3rd-worst episode ever? When was the last time you watched 10-12 or 17-18?

Anyway, most of the 1st act was pretty fantastic, and like I said even thought the rest of the episode didn't live up to this level (I thought it would shape up to be the best of the season, even though it didn't end up that way), it was still fairly solid. Subplot reeked of being a time-killer, but was an enjoyable timefiller versus a painful one (think "San Tropez" on Meddle, instead of "Seamus"), and Homer rosebush thingy helped elevate it above forced sentimentaliy (and I liked the callback to the song). Not as great as the first act made me hope, but still quite good. 13/15

(Note: I'm not positive all the time just for the hell of it. Although I recognize that the show is not as good as it used to be, I still enjoy it for the most part. If an episode deserves my wrath, I have no qualms about giving it, but I don't think there's been an awful one in awhile. And yes, a 13 is lower than I'd give all but a few classic era episodes, if this appeared in 2-9 it would be one of the bottom 3 of the season, but that doesn't mean it's not good because it's not mind-blowingly fantastic. Just felt the need to clarify that)
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

liked the main plot, Ricardo Bamba, Barney, and Homer learning spanish

The zii subplot and the coldplay cameo was pretty me

I give it a generous 3.5/5
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

This episode was great! Some of you need to take the dick out your ass, and take it easy some time.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDaBull View Post
    This episode was great! Some of you need to take the dick out your ass, and take it easy some time.
    Thats kinda hard for me.

Quote Originally Posted by D'ohmer View Post

Oh yeah the grammys are on tonight I forgot, thanks for reminding me.

1/5

the only good thing about it was that new character dying.

the moe gag was lame and usually i like moe gags. that whole, "Where's my cut" thing.

the adult magazine/ economist gag was a pretty good touch.

coldplay just didn't fit in.