View Poll Results: Well?

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 whoa! me likey very much!

    31 20.00%
  • 4/5 i've had plenty of guys come after me, and i've buried them all

    47 30.32%
  • 3/5 don't blame me, i didn't do it!

    46 29.68%
  • 2/5 you've got poor old vincent price floating around in a toilet keg telling me about the "horrors" of an unfresh bowl

    19 12.26%
  • 1/5 please! i'm getting egged on the street! do something!

    12 7.74%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 133



Thread: Rate and Review LABF20- Once Upon a Time in Springfield



(Users Browsing this Thread: )

  1. #1
    Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    'cause I live at home in a trailer...
    Posts
    32,807
    Blog Entries
    137


    Rate and Review LABF20- Once Upon a Time in Springfield

    Krusty the Clown is forced to hire an actress named Princess Penelope for The Krusty the Clown Show to generate more young, female viewers. Krusty and Princess Penelope end up in a relationship. Meanwhile, when Mr. Burns puts a stop to the free donuts at the plant to cut costs, Homer, Lenny and Carl decide to meet with a headhunter who specializes in nuclear workers and opens their eyes to opportunities free of donut-cutting measures.

    Thread will open once episode has aired

  2. #2
    Stonecutter Nauru-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,837


    Best episode of the season IMO. I'll edit this and comment more after the doc.

    EDIT: Yeah, so I quite liked the episode, by today's standards at least. There are few laughs to be had, but I actually enjoyed the twist about the Princess and felt there were a number of nice touches throughout. The fact that they actually made a move that will no doubt last longer than this episode is refreshing and what I felt was missing in last season's Eeny Teeny Maya Moe. Far from spectacular, but I don't really expect or demand that. I'll say this was my favorite of the season. 3/5 (C)
    Last edited by Nauru-1; 01-10-2010 at 06:38 PM.
    To view various lists about my Simpsons opinions, click the link below.

    http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=27253


  3. #3
    Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The Comfy Chair
    Posts
    1,208


    It's rather ironic that they were making fun of a show that used a character aimed at a different demographic than their regular audience, and having the audience hate it. In reality, The Simpsons was doing that as well. Even if they did it on purpose, it does not excuse the fact that the songs were horrible. I did not like the Princess Penelope character at all. Her voice was annoying and the only thing special about her is that she wasn't voiced by Tress MacNeille or Pamela Hayden. The fact that half of her lines were sung really didn't help things.

    It was nice to see Rabbi Krustofski again, even if it was for a cameo.

    2/5.
    Last edited by McClure; 01-10-2010 at 06:01 PM.

  4. #4
    Irreverent Humor Throughout Blake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,970
    Blog Entries
    8


    I figured the songs were intentionally bad and shmultzy. I really liked this episode. It's the 2nd to receive a 4/5 from me this season

  5. #5
    AddminisGator Gatorgod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Swamptopia
    Posts
    12,757


    Krusty the Clown & Princess Penelope!

    5/5

    Nice headhunting Gator! (knowing wink)


  6. #6
    Irreverent Humor Throughout Blake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,970
    Blog Entries
    8


    I was not expecting the Gary Larson appearance. That was a huge + for me

  7. #7
    vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,219


    A Krusty and SNPP episode is always a good thing. The ending, however, was sort of rushed. But then they did the 20 years message and made me forget about the rushed ending. 4/5
    UP AND ATOM!

  8. #8
    Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    'cause I live at home in a trailer...
    Posts
    32,807
    Blog Entries
    137


    My new favorite of the season. The last act was the best of the episode I thought. 5/5

  9. #9
    Presented by Siemens™ bartyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    the experimental prototype community of tomorrow
    Posts
    3,757


    Surprisingly good episode, good ending. 4/5

  10. #10
    For the greater good SIR oinks alot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    free country, USA
    Posts
    691


    a cute episode, the first 2 acts were boring but the last act was a little bit classic era esque.

    4/5
    “On my deathbed, my final wish is to have my ex-wives rush to my side so I can use my dying breath to tell them both to go to hell one last time.”

  11. #11
    Presented by Siemens™ bartyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    the experimental prototype community of tomorrow
    Posts
    3,757


    Surprisingly good episode. Great ending. 4/5

  12. #12


    just embarassing. the "thanks for 20 years...the best is yet to come" is seriously making me reconsider the show. it's like a big fuck you to all of its loyal fans; by saying "oh, we haven't done anything good yet. in the past 21 seasons." is just a huge middle finger to all of the show's fans. i may not watch anymore.

    the songs were terrible. the whole episode was just unfunny. i think i smiled once or twice. who wrote this? and the couch gag and billboard were admittedly nice. 1/5

  13. #13
    canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cowtown, Canada
    Posts
    4,188


    So anyway, now that the documentary's over - the fuck was that?

    Really stupid episode. I mean, really stupid. It didn't even fully register with me that it was actually almost over until it was, because I was just sitting there waiting for something to happen and it never really came.

    Honestly thought that the phone call Princess Penelope was taking before Krusty came in was going to lead somewhere, that she was maybe faking an undying love for him (because it was really over the top, I did not think there was any way in which that would actually be serious... and then it was?) and that she had been bitching about this job on the phone, or all of the kids, or whatever... but it was actually serious? That wasn't supposed to come across as over the top? Well, I certainly wasn't expecting that.

    It wasn't particularly funny and it was just so awkwardly paced and plotted and I had no idea what I was supposed to be watching. I guess this episode was really a Krusty episode that was supposed to have minimal focus on the family, but it took me too long to really come to understand that. Thinking about this it's actually along the same lines as A Fish Called Selma - except that one was coherently plotted, not misleading about what it was about, hilarious, and oh, yeah - heartfelt.

    Another reason I just couldn't buy the supposed romance between Krusty and Penelope was because I just could not give a shit about Penelope. Bland, bland, bland character, completely uninteresting (she's a pathetic, hopeless little fangirl who can sing? Okay), and there was zero spark between her and Krusty. I just wasn't feeling it and that hurt the entire thing for me because I had no idea I was supposed to care at any point. Was Krusty's sweetness at the wedding supposed to be a sentimental moment? I wasn't feeling it. And I definitely wasn't feeling it at the end. She goes off somewhere and is sad and Krusty shows up and no they're "together" and I'm getting the feeling that was supposed to be a grand ol' "aaaaww" moment and it... wasn't. The characters had no soul to them (I understand that this is at least part of the point of Krusty, but if you compare this portrayal to one like in Like Father, Like Clown... he's capable of it. Fuck, even in Today I Am Clown it was there) and it was empty.

    Sure, you could contrast that with Eeny Teeny Maya Moe (which I raved over when it first aired, and I still do love that episode), and I do really wish that Maya had stuck with Moe in the end and been a semi-recurring character, but you know, at least with those two I could feel something. Their relationship had an actual, believable, genuine build up, and we saw the two having a great time together and actually enjoying one another's company. The relationship broke on too abrupt and forced a note, but it's not like this one did any better by ending with them together. In Eeny Teeny Maya Moe, we actually see them - both of them - fall in love, and you can feel for Moe because he's a completely loveless, ugly, bitter guy who found something in the world of online dating. I can buy it. In this one, we're just introduced to a character that's been crushing on Krusty forever, apparently, has no problems with him, and is a one-note fangirl. Krusty resents her for stealing his limelight, she comes onto him, and all is forgiven because he - loves her? The guy is basically a total whore and even bringing up the ex-wives at the end helped prove exactly why there was no heart in this.

    Wow. Um. Yeah. But ridiculous. I'll place the characters above absolutely everything else and this failed pretty spectacularly in that department. Nothing heartfelt. Nothing genuine. Just nothing.

    The subplot was weird as well, but more fitting for a "landmark" episode, I suppose, and it's a cute idea - what does Homer do if his work doesn't supply doughnuts? SNPP and doughnuts have been pretty intertwined together since the beginning in scenery, so that's actually a cool concept. Too bad it was fumbled so badly. This was probably something that called for wacky shenanigans more than anything else, trying to come up with means to keep bringing doughnuts in, get revenge on Burns... something instead of yet another out-of-left-field character (woo!) who comes in and offers yet another magical solution. Just... boring.

    (To say nothing of the implications it would actually have. In order to work in Capitol City, they would have to, uh, move to Capitol City. Does Homer bring this up even once to his family? Dancin' Homer kind of rushed their analysis of this, but at least the implications of such an idea were there. This was just something completely on its own and disjointed from the rest of the episode, helping to make the whole thing feel increasingly awkward with fucked up pacing.)

    Man, I'm bitchy, and after the documentary put me in such a heartwarming mood, too. Sorry, guys, but my favourite bits were Bart and Milhouse's reaction to all the Princess Penelope dreck, partially because they were funny and partially because I was sympathizing so hard. I still watch the show, I still like the show, I still obsess over the show and I won't blindly write off everything past S9, but the best came and went a long time ago.

    Quote Originally Posted by McClure View Post
    It's rather ironic that they were making fun of a show that used a character aimed at a different demographic than their regular audience, and having the audience hate it.
    That's a particularly poignant (and absolutely correct) observation.


  14. #14
    Skeletor rising hughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    6,593
    Blog Entries
    2


    Quote Originally Posted by thardin View Post
    just embarassing. the "thanks for 20 years...the best is yet to come" is seriously making me reconsider the show. it's like a big fuck you to all of its loyal fans; by saying "oh, we haven't done anything good yet. in the past 21 seasons." is just a huge middle finger to all of the show's fans. i may not watch anymore.
    Uh, what? I see no way in THANKING people for watching is a "middle finger", and they weren't saying they hadn't done anything good, they were just saying the BEST is yet to come. Now, that's extremely doubtful, but I don't see what was wrong with them putting that in there, unless you're pissed that they didn't put in an apology for everything that's happened since halfway through Season 9

    Maybe I'm missing what you're saying, though

    --
    Anyway--this episode--good one! The A-story was surprisingly well-done, the princess character actually had a little bit of personality (was that Anne Hathaway doing the singing as well?), and the B-plot was a nice time-filler. Not spectacular, but still a 14/15, third-best of the season, IMO.

    And yeah, it was nice to see the Rabbi again
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

  15. #15
    Dinner at 80 mph lionelhutz123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5,641
    Blog Entries
    24


    Imagine watching a new simpsons episode and Anne Hathaway's character does a shout-out to not only your home county, but also the neighboring county. It's great to hear Long Island become referenced for the second time in the series. I honestly wasn't expecting that. Anyway the episode wasn't terrible. In fact, I chuckled at a few gags like Homer's sexist line, "You say that now, but when your my age you'll just think it". I also thought Bart and Milhouse were alot like NHC by watching their favorite show decline in quality, yet still watch it . The other select jokes I appreciated escape my memory however. Both plots seemed equally enjoyable, but nothing too exciting. While I could sense some fairly high quality gag writing, there were a handful of misses like Burns puncturing his face. Gary Larson's appearance was a positive note. Overall the episode was still pretty average, but at least the writers dared to keep the Krusty/Penelope relationship intact. 3/5


  16. #16
    Up an atom. Ramier Wolfcastle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Boxborough, MA
    Posts
    1,261


    5/5, best of the season so far!

    For once the show got back to its roots. Bart and Milhouse watching the Krusty the Clown show. Homer, Lenny, and Carl need their donuts at the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant. These were elements of the show back in the early 1990s. However, there were some things I did not exactly like:

    -TWO American Idol jokes. ONE was enough.
    -The rushed, "incomplete" ending -- will Princess Penelope appear again? Or will Krusty leave Springfield forever to be with her?
    -The "20 years" message at the end.

    So apparently the family has a new (HD) television now? The episode still gets an A from me.

  17. #17
    Irreverent Humor Throughout Blake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,970
    Blog Entries
    8


    Quote Originally Posted by thardin View Post
    just embarassing. the "thanks for 20 years...the best is yet to come" is seriously making me reconsider the show. it's like a big fuck you to all of its loyal fans; by saying "oh, we haven't done anything good yet. in the past 21 seasons." is just a huge middle finger to all of the show's fans. i may not watch anymore.
    Just shut the fuck up for this one time. They know the show isn't what it used to be but they very well can't just flat out admit it. This is a show we care about enough to go on a message board for, so the fact the staff is celebrating 20 years of memories shouldn't be one of the many things we nag about. It's sucked these recent seasons but as long as we know the classic era cracked us up we should still be as happy as they are that the show has become this piece of history. So quit your bitching about the show for once and let them make this one god damn comment without ripping on them
    Last edited by Blake; 01-11-2010 at 06:19 PM.


  18. #18
    Junior Camper
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Syosset, New York
    Posts
    233


    Boy I'd hate to follow the guy above me. Anyway . . .
    5/5
    Really great jokes throughout, and I love the concept of the B-story. A favorite of mine was "I didn't die on the operating table AGAIN, did I?" and "If my writers had a connection with women, they wouldn't be writers!" It's sounds so real and I just love the irony of the joke in that Stephanie Gillis was the one who wrote the episode. I was very happy to see my home of Nassau County referenced there and Anne Hathway's a damn good singer. The one thing that had me thinking was the scene with Eartha Kitt. I mean, was she originally gonna be in the crowd and then it was changed to the recording before her death? Musta been. So in summary. Great episode to celebrate 20 years.

  19. #19


    Uh, what? I see no way in THANKING people for watching is a "middle finger", and they weren't saying they hadn't done anything good, they were just saying the BEST is yet to come. Now, that's extremely doubtful, but I don't see what was wrong with them putting that in there, unless you're pissed that they didn't put in an apology for everything that's happened since halfway through Season 9

    Maybe I'm missing what you're saying, though
    by saying "the best is yet to come" they imply that something better than anything (seasons 1-9) they've previously done. it's like kinda stating to the fans "well, thanks for watching us for 20 years! it's been great. but all that stuff about going downhill, you don't know anything. the future is going to be much better than season 4 ever was, so fuck you for thinking otherwise."

    sure, they THANKED the viewers, but to the fans they held up a sign that said "you're wrong! season 22 will be better than anything else!"

  20. #20
    Golden Boy Green Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    rio
    Posts
    5,802


    Quote Originally Posted by thardin View Post
    just embarassing. the "thanks for 20 years...the best is yet to come" is seriously making me reconsider the show. it's like a big fuck you to all of its loyal fans; by saying "oh, we haven't done anything good yet. in the past 21 seasons." is just a huge middle finger to all of the show's fans. i may not watch anymore.
    that's not at all what they meant. what they were trying to say is that the show will get better than ever (yeah, right) not that what they've done so far isn't good.

    i can't understand how someone can misinterpretate it like that

  21. #21
    vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,219


    Quote Originally Posted by thardin View Post
    just embarassing. the "thanks for 20 years...the best is yet to come" is seriously making me reconsider the show. it's like a big fuck you to all of its loyal fans; by saying "oh, we haven't done anything good yet. in the past 21 seasons." is just a huge middle finger to all of the show's fans. i may not watch anymore.

    the songs were terrible. the whole episode was just unfunny. i think i smiled once or twice. who wrote this? and the couch gag and billboard were admittedly nice. 1/5
    I am reminded of a scene:

    CBG: Last night's Itchy & Scratchy was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured I was on the internet within minutes registering my disgust throughout the world.

    Bart: Hey, I know it wasn't great, but what right do you have to complain?

    CBG: As a loyal viewer, I feel they owe me.

    Bart: What? They're giving you thousands of hours of entertainment for free. What could they possibly owe you? I mean, if anything, you owe them.

    CBG: Worst episode ever.

  22. #22
    Stonecutter Nauru-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,837


    Quote Originally Posted by thardin View Post
    the whole episode was just unfunny. i think i smiled once or twice.
    I don't even really disagree with this, although I think that is pretty much consistent with every episode nowadays. Beyond that there still seem to be factors that severely separate certain ones from others.


  23. #23
    Dinner at 80 mph lionelhutz123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5,641
    Blog Entries
    24


    Quote Originally Posted by OttoMann14 View Post
    I was very happy to see my home of Nassau County referenced there and Anne Hathway's a damn good singer.
    Nice! Yeah, I'm from Suffolk, so I was pretty surprised when she mentioned that as well. Usually Long Island is overlooked on tv when compared to the city.

  24. #24


    Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Doom View Post
    Just shut the fuck up for this one time. They know the show isn't what it used to be but they very well can't just flat out admit it. This is a show we care about enough to go on a message board so the fact the staff is celebrating 20 years of memories shouldn't be one of the many things we nag about. It's sucked these recent seasons but as long as we khow the classic era cracked us up this should still be as happy as they are that the show has become this piece of history. So quit your bitching about the show for once and let them make this one god damn comment without ripping on them
    absolutely, they can celebrate 20 years of memories. "thanks for the 20 years!" would have been a good way to end the episode. not "the best is yet to come". i can't understand how anyone can't get pissed off at something that stupid. we also post on a message board...do you know how much stupid stuff has been nagged about? this is just another stupid thing.

  25. #25
    Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Spittle County
    Posts
    4,093


    so is Krusty still with Penelope or whats going on there?
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

  26. #26
    rocko Jims's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,139
    Blog Entries
    3


    Surprised at some of the negative reviews so far, because I thought it was pretty funny.

    Everything about the Princess Penelope Show was hilarious. The show was so completely over-the-top with girly cutesyness while being extremely tacky at the same time. I liked that they still went for a "this is still a crappily-made show" in a lot of ways. Lisa was well characterized as an 8 year old girl who likes unicorns, which makes sense... Since she's 8 years old. Bart and Milhouse's reactions to the show were perfect too.

    I also liked the ending in that it surprised me a little. I don't know if this ending was a response to the criticism of the ending of "Eeny Teeny Maya Moe" or if it's just a coincidence. It really did look like The Second Coming of Maya for a second there. Obviously, Anne Hathaway's character is going to disappear after this episode (like they always do), but it was nice that they didn't make the whole episode a waste. Every episode doesn't have to end in a break-up.

    The B-plot was a fun little diversion too. I don't completely buy Mr. Burns begging Lenny, Carl, and Homer to stay. The tug-of-war thing is really flimsy, but it is funny in a tongue-in-cheek way. Thought the resolution with "two donuts" was hilarious. It's just the kind of ploy that Burns would try, and just the kind of stupid deal they'd accept.

    Jokes pretty solid all the way. The dialogue was generally nice and snappy and didn't sound too forced. Overall, a pretty solid 4/5.

  27. #27
    I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Wisconsin: "More bars in more places."
    Posts
    15,472
    Blog Entries
    2


    Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Doom View Post
    So quit your bitching about the show for once and let them make this one god damn comment without ripping on them
    If the writers don't want the "internet geeks" to use nostalgia for an excuse to hate the currrent show, then we shouldn't have to listen to the writers (and the True Fans!) tell us to use our cherishd memories to convince ourselves the show is as good, or even in the same league, as it used to be.

    As for the episode itself, I'm not sure if it's I'm still over the filth of last week's offerring, but this episode was at least interesting enough to keep me entertained. While this wasn't shit terrible, it barely qualifies as good.

    However, a nice bit to this episode was how nice the scenes in Paris looked as it's the best scene done since the HD switch, IMO.

    3/5.

    EDIT: The chalkboard gag for this should've been: "Super-Size Me is not a diet program."

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    I am reminded of a scene:

    CBG: Last night's Itchy & Scratchy was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured I was on the internet within minutes registering my disgust throughout the world.

    Bart: Hey, I know it wasn't great, but what right do you have to complain?

    CBG: As a loyal viewer, I feel they owe me.

    Bart: What? They're giving you thousands of hours of entertainment for free. What could they possibly owe you? I mean, if anything, you owe them.

    CBG: Worst episode ever.
    If nobody watched the show, then the writers would be out of a job. It's all a wash and if you think the fanbase owes the writers something, go buy more merchandise.

  28. #28
    Bart Fan! BartSimpsonfan17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Barts Vill
    Posts
    869


    Well, I liked the subplot more than the main plot. However Bart's and Milhouses reactions to the stuff was too funny
    So over all a very so and so episode. I'll give it a 3/5.

    Bart V.S Bob!
    Bart fan!

  29. #29
    Dinner at 80 mph lionelhutz123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5,641
    Blog Entries
    24


    By the way on a small note, IMO this episode holds the first time all 3 gags were complete hits in the new opening sequence. The billboard, chalkboard, and couch gag were all great.

  30. #30
    rip Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    25,797
    Blog Entries
    1


    Shit. I gave it a 3/5 instead of a 2/5 because of foolishly clicking on it for the doc. I meant 2/5.

    Opinion after the doc...
    twitter

    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •