View Poll Results: Should I make a new thread for each premise leaving this one for generally discussing show creation?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, make a new thread for each premise.

8 72.73%
  • No, keep just this one.

3 27.27%
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Our own animated sitcom?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

^I immediately pictured Aziz Ansari in the role when I read that description.

Good characters with plenty of potential. I like.

don't know if it is to late or not, but, I would love to be a writer.I haven't read the whole conversation so, what has been agreed on so far.

Edit: If I could, I would like to design a character that maybe HappyPalooza could redraw in his style pretty please. I like the survival idea, really great job you guys! So if I could be a writer it would be a great honor.
    Last edited by Dynamo; 01-04-2010 at 03:51 PM.

Blog Entries

It might be too late, but can I be a writer? Either making some scripts, or just making the inital plot that other people can make the script for. People seem to like my ideas, and way of writing, as you can see in my Simpsons Episode Guides.

Also, I read through the whole thread, here is my ideas on everything:

The show should be based on the survival idea, but I think we could change a few things. The ideas for this setting are a lot easier to make, and there are endless opportunities of episode ideas.

The show should be somewhere between 7-15 minutes, that gives us enough time to establish the plot, develop it, and end it.

There should be 3 main characters, 2 guys, 1 girl, but there could also be appearances from other characters during the show.

For the names of the characters, are we thinking of doing kind of wacky, original names, or just ordinary, bland names?
    Last edited by Fear of Flying; 01-04-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fear of Flying View Post
    For the names of the characters, are we thinking of doing kind of wacky, original names, or just ordinary, bland names?
    I think original names like Justin or something, nothing too wacky or something. Just my two cents

Blog Entries

names that are unique could be good for several characters.

like... yuri, euphemia, thano, yelena, etc.
    calmer than you are

but i'm a vampire General Jack D. Ripper's Avatar

Hey, so is it too late to get involved in this? I have read through most of the thread now, and I'm into the survival idea. If we're only gonna have 3 main characters, I'd say we should have a pretty strong and big supporting cast, so the writers could let their imagination run wild for character ideas. I wouldn't mind a love interest somewhere between the main characters, but cliches should be held to a minimum as said.

I tried drawing another character for the survival idea, and I tried sorta imitating HappyPalooza's style, but unfortunately my scanner doesn't work. Basically, though, I imagined the guy (who could possibly be a writer, as was suggested) is a somewhat cowardly, very rational guy, with a pretty quick wit. And he basically is always focused on surviving, a bit like Yossarian from Catch-22.
    Again, if you guys are interested in having another writer/possible voice actor, I really would like to get in on this.
    Last edited by General Jack D. Ripper; 01-04-2010 at 07:26 PM.

Well time to start kicking around ideas for characters.

On the survival show I think we should tool with the idea of having the lead male be kind of an everyman, because the setting is so out there it's cool to picture yourself in that scenario and with a relatable lead we can make that feeling sort of happen. If we go with him being a former experiment who's been tortured for so long we can make him a bit sarcastic with some cynicism, but not totally sardonic or a pain in the ass. Like we said, he could be a former writer, quick-witted. His sarcasm would have actual humor to it, not whininess. Bill Murray-esque. He could also have an average name to reflect this, like Tim or something.

As for the female lead, let's dodge around the typical "cool girl" or "tough girl" character that you'd expect in such a show. A cute, quiet, mousey girl could be funny in this world. Another thing not many sitcoms do is have complete whores for main female characters, or any female characters for that matter. With some exceptions being Kelly Bundy and Cartman's mom. Just throwing stuff on the wall.

As for the third male, he could be good as a human or other creature. For some reason I'd like him to maybe date the female lead but be a total horndog at the same time. Not like a normal Glen Quagmire/Stuart Bondeck/Barney Stinson type, more like the asshole you know who manages to get plenty of girls despite borderline retardation. I like those guys. Kind of like the male character taking bong hits I had in the cartoon I posted, except maybe more of a dick. Not sex-obsessed or anything, just putting out the kind of guy he would be.

But he shouldn't be a character who's played like, "ohoho boy, here comes that guy B!" >enters scene< *applause break* He can't be "the dumb guy," as I'd figure this kind of role could easily become. I feel like it's easy to make this character the breakout character as we talked about earlier.

As for the theme song- "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong would be fantastic I think.

edit: Anyone who wants in, we're basically taking anybody as of now. I expect a lot to lose interest though as production even on the pilot alone will probably take a while.
    Last edited by HappyPalooza; 01-04-2010 at 07:35 PM.

Thanks. I always liked the idea of a female lead who's a little out there menatally. As in, she has an abnormal, sorta stupid , thought process, and will have some crazy schemes. She could even be sorta mousey. But I think that kind of role is too often dominated by male characters, so I thought she could be something like that.

EDIT:
    For other characters, I do like the idea of the male lead being Murray-esque, but more modest and with lower self esteem. And again, i think he should be somewhat cowardly, and his ultimate goal is to survive.

The other male character should be somewhat of a comic relief, but I don't want to make him a total asshole. Maybe a sleazy, arrogant guy, but tone it down enough so he can be rooted for.
    Or, as an alternative, he could be a younger guy, sorta excited, childish, and overzealous. Like he thinks everything that happens is awesome despite the fact that it's life threatening.
    Last edited by General Jack D. Ripper; 01-04-2010 at 09:06 PM.

pseudo-leftie village of the hammed (1960)'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I personally love the idea of having an everyman Bill Murray-esque character. He should be the witty one and perhaps the most down to earth guy. Perhaps we could say that he was at a restaurant with the female lead, her partner and his partner at the time of the apocalypse but his partner died. We could work in real emotion with his friends being a constant reminder of the man/woman of his dreams.

And names-wise I was thinking names such as: James, Laura, David, Jimmy or Georgie. Alternatively we could name them after ourselves.

For the male lead, I think David Fender is a good name for that regular everyday normal guy feel to him. Being sort of a lighthearted deadpan smartass I feel more than connected to the guy already. Making him more cowardly would only make him more real, so I agree. He shouldn't be super confident either, in a cutthroat society where you have to be one of the best and he is aware of not being an athletic, skilled badass or anything.

I'd say those ideas for main characters are really good and very well thought out. Anyways thinking about secondary characters I thought that we should have a politician or leader for those who survived. Trying to stay away from the sleazy, incompetent politician card, he could be actually pretty competent and smart. To give him a quirk he'd be very unpopular, but still the leader as he was the only one interested.

Another idea I had was for a gay butcher. I haven't thought too much into that character, I just thought it'd be unexpected. I'm only throwing out ideas here, if anyone likes or dislikes something just say.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Haines View Post
    I'd say those ideas for main characters are really good and very well thought out. Anyways thinking about secondary characters I thought that we should have a politician or leader for those who survived. Trying to stay away from the sleazy, incompetent politician card, he could be actually pretty competent and smart. To give him a quirk he'd be very unpopular, but still the leader as he was the only one interested.

Another idea I had was for a gay butcher. I haven't thought too much into that character, I just thought it'd be unexpected. I'm only throwing out ideas here, if anyone likes or dislikes something just say.
    As for the politician I really like that he's competent and unpopular. It's a good twist on the commentary that "politicians are corrupt fools and we blindly put our faith into them" in most shows. Instead of making fun of real life, we'd be making fun of that cliche, like "uh it's not that bad." Good idea.

On the gay butcher it has potential if the joke doesn't become that he's- well, a gay butcher. I always thought it'd be cool doing a rugged action hero badass character in a movie and making him gay, but never explicitly stating it or even bluntly hinting at it, like you wouldn't even know till you really thought about it. I just think it'd be nice having a funny character that's gay in a subtle way for once.

So, can I join?

Yeah, like I said-
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyPalooza View Post
    Anyone who wants in, we're basically taking anybody as of now. I expect a lot to lose interest though as production even on the pilot alone will probably take a while.

okay while I have an idea on a character

Name: Eris Botherinson

Height: 5"3'

Role: Comic Relief; secondary

Background History: A used to Bartender and now fellow survivor. Came from a wealthy family and old mansion is in perfect condition even in the post-apocalyptic state. She shares her wealth and bad jokes with fellow friends.

Physical Appearance: semi-long blood red hair, slender, and young faced.

So, what do ya think?

The Hammer is my penis Capt Hammer's Avatar

Definitely want in on this!

Willing to be a writer, animator, character designer, Voice artist, SFX.

Only problems: Don't have very good animation equipment/software, can't do that many voices, but I'm definitely ready to do a character. And i'm not a musician, so I couldn't do music, only sound effects.

Anyway, i just read through the thread and i still don't get it, which is the idea being used: Behind the Scenes or Post-apocalyptic.
    "Look, Marge, you don't know what it's like. I'm the one out there every day putting his ass on the line. And i'm not out of order! You're out of order. The whole freaking system is out of order. You want the truth? You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth! Because when you reach over and put your hand into a pile of goo, that was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do! Forget it, Marge. It's Chinatown!" - Homer's rant.

As for the politician I really like that he's competent and unpopular. It's a good twist on the commentary that "politicians are corrupt fools and we blindly put our faith into them" in most shows. Instead of making fun of real life, we'd be making fun of that cliche, like "uh it's not that bad." Good idea.

On the gay butcher it has potential if the joke doesn't become that he's- well, a gay butcher. I always thought it'd be cool doing a rugged action hero badass character in a movie and making him gay, but never explicitly stating it or even bluntly hinting at it, like you wouldn't even know till you really thought about it. I just think it'd be nice having a funny character that's gay in a subtle way for once.
    I think the politician idea is a good one, and maybe we could have it so he was in office, and made one small mistake (maybe like it was rumored he cheated on his wife with no proof) and because of that tiny thing, he became completely discredited.

I think we could also have a good side character that's basically just a bum, pre and post apocalypse. It'd be funny to have a character for who nothing at all really changes, even through the apocalypse. Maybe he's even happy with his disgusting life and tendencies, moreso than most other people.

Oh, and I think we should begin talking about how the pilot should go. Did you have a plot idea, Happypalooza?

Is the Pilot going to be a small plot and more of an explore the surroundings kind of thing or is are we just going to chuck the viewers in and have a normal plot?

farmer's market enthusiast Dylan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

put me down for writer/creative consultant pleaseeee

Quote Originally Posted by General Jack D. Ripper View Post
    I think the politician idea is a good one, and maybe we could have it so he was in office, and made one small mistake (maybe like it was rumored he cheated on his wife with no proof) and because of that tiny thing, he became completely discredited.

I think we could also have a good side character that's basically just a bum, pre and post apocalypse. It'd be funny to have a character for who nothing at all really changes, even through the apocalypse. Maybe he's even happy with his disgusting life and tendencies, moreso than most other people.

Oh, and I think we should begin talking about how the pilot should go. Did you have a plot idea, Happypalooza?
    The bum thing is good.

As for the pilot, I hadn't thought up any plot ideas to jump right into, maybe just a thin, general plot so that the episode has an actual end to it. Mostly I just want to explore and introduce the world and characters to get viewers familiar and comfortable with it first.

And ahhgoobras, right now I think we're trying out both Behind The Scenes and the Post 'Pock one and come to a conclusion once the scripts are complete or around that time.

The bum thing is good.

As for the pilot, I hadn't thought up any plot ideas to jump right into, maybe just a thin, general plot so that the episode has an actual end to it. Mostly I just want to explore and introduce the world and characters to get viewers familiar and comfortable with it first.

And ahhgoobras, right now I think we're trying out both Behind The Scenes and the Post 'Pock one and come to a conclusion once the scripts are complete or around that time.
    Sounds Awesome

So rather a pilot that could be a normal episode for the series, and not one where it shows how the characters meet or anything?

Oh, and on the subject of main characters, we have a fairly good idea for our male lead, I think we should make the other two leads' parts clear.

Blog Entries

I'd work in the "writer's room" helping to improve others' scripts, and occasionally contributing my own

I'd also like to try my hand at voice acting

Or just anything I can do to help out!
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

I don't wanna be bossy, but, we need a head person in which everyone will consult their ideas to. I nominate HappyPalooza

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo View Post
    I don't wanna be bossy, but, we need a head person in which everyone will consult their ideas to. I nominate HappyPalooza
    Second, HappyPalooza for Show-runner!
    Last edited by Capt Hammer; 01-05-2010 at 09:06 PM.

the original Sex Pistol

Hey guys, bad news. My computer just crashed and this netbook is a fucking pain in the ass. Which means that I probably won't be here for a week or so. But if you guys want I can write a pilot for my idea. It shouldn't be too hard and when I'm done, I^ll post it here and you guys can correct/improve/cut it and decide if it's even worthy of animating.But I have to warn you, It will have at least 8 characters and it will be at least 15 minutes long. But hey, writing doesn't cost anything, so I'll do it even if we probably can't/won't use it.

I'd be glad to help you with that fox executive

the original Sex Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    I'd be glad to help you with that fox executive
    thank you so much! You know what, I'm gonna write a first act of this thing and then pm it to you and see what you think of it. maybe you could write the second one. Well, I'm writing right now, but it's right now it's not going so well. I should be done by Saturday, though, I'll send it to you then.

And after we've completed the pilot, let's take this thing to Fox!

pseudo-leftie village of the hammed (1960)'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ahhgoobras View Post
    Second, HappyPalooza for Show-runner!
    I'm happy for HappyPalooza to take on the role of kind of chairing the discussions if he is happy to do it. Him and a few others have basically been doing that already.

I'm still up for Writing, Executive Producing and Story Editing but I'd also be happy to do a bit of voice acting if we need it.

Also we have a lot of writers at the moment (and we won't reject you if you ask) but we need more people working on the animation side of things as-well as sound effect and music.

So what characters do we have so far for the Post-Apocalyptic idea? And what is the first episode about for Fox Executive's idea?

the original Sex Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by hammster View Post
    And what is the first episode about for Fox Executive's idea?
    The first part is sort of an introduction of the characters, where they just basically do their job, and for the second part I thought we could introduce a new writer with a job interview and everythink, because I've noticed that I don't have enough writers. But

Thread Information