View Poll Results: Should I make a new thread for each premise leaving this one for generally discussing show creation?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, make a new thread for each premise.

8 72.73%
  • No, keep just this one.

3 27.27%
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Our own animated sitcom?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Quote Originally Posted by Bea O Problem View Post
    That's a great drawing!

And troymclure17, you are a great artist too
    Thanks guys. HappyPalooza, you got a lot of talent, man and look foward to working together with you. Speaking of which, can we work on character descrptions so i can start designing.

I think the two prominant main characters should be male and female, maybe with the third main character being a guy. I think we should start to name the characters, as it will get tiresome calling the things like guy A, girl B etc.

I totally agree with the main two being guy and gal with the third being a guy. I say no love dynamic or rivalry between the main two. Maybe the third guy could be the husband or boyfriend of the main girl though.

We can wait on the names till we develop them. Then we can name them reflecting their personalities. If you guys wanted to. Otherwise we can just start throwing stuff on the wall now.

I agree with everything you just posted. So I guess we'll start spitballing ideas.

Quickly before that even, I think we should pick a premise. From what we have so far, I've gotten a little attached to the survival idea. If not that, my second choice is Exec's original idea- "Behind the Scenes".

I like both premises, but the survival a little more. Although we could incorperate Fox's idea a little, like the main character could be a former writer.

Blog Entries

I like the survival idea personally

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Haines View Post
    I like both premises, but the survival a little more. Although we could incorperate Fox's idea a little, like the main character could be a former writer.
    This could give us an excuse to make him quick-witted and clever.

Good thinking. So I guess we're settled on survival. Or should we wait for the input of Belly, and Fox Exc?

Blog Entries

Good thinking. So I guess we're settled on survival. Or should we wait for the input of Belly, and Fox Exc?
    I say wait, it seems more fair that way

but i'm a vampire General Jack D. Ripper's Avatar

I may be a little (ok, really) late on this, but I'd love to help write this. I'd also be willing to do whatever else. I can do character designs (but not full on animation), and I could do a voice if needed. If you guys want the help, let me know, and maybe send me a PM with some details, so I don't have to sift through this whole thread.

Irreverent Humor Throughout Blake's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can't kid myself, I really wanna write for this. If you've got the extra room drop me a PM on details if it's alright with you guys to add me this late

the original Sex Pistol

Sorry, I was just gone for 7 hours, sleeping. I like what you guys have established so far and if you ask me, the pilot or first conflict should be about how the characters got into that situation and it would be cool if a male character immediately wans to have sex with a female character, because he's obsessed with the thought of repopulating the world.

I want in on this

Blog Entries

I'm back. Great ideas so far. Personally I'd like an Executive Producer and possibly a writer/story editor role. I'm liking both ideas at the moment. I think we need to make the characters as relatable as possible and we are going to need sfx and music people.

I want to be a writer and executive producer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Executive View Post
    Yeah, that seems like a good length, because a half-hour show takes about 50 pages and I'm not sure we can write a good episode that long.
    come on, we can do it. I've written a 120 page script before. I think the ideal lenth would be around 20 minutes. 5 minutes is way too short.
    Last edited by Green Man; 01-04-2010 at 03:22 AM.

Blog Entries

I don't think 20 minutes would be too hard to do as a writer but animation is a bitch and we need more animators as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by hammster View Post
    I don't think 20 minutes would be too hard to do as a writer but animation is a bitch and we need more animators as it is.
    yeah, you're right. maybe we should do a short pilot and see how things go

and I like fox executive's idea better
    Last edited by Green Man; 01-04-2010 at 03:46 AM.

the original Sex Pistol

Ok, this is the staff we have so far:

Bea O Problem: Writer, story editor
    Bella: Writer, co-executive producer
    Guy Haines: Writer, story editor
    HappyPalooza: Animator, director, story consultant
    troymclure17: Writer, animator, director
    hammster: Writer, executive producer, story editor
    Green Man: Writer, executive producer
    Mt. Doom: Writer
    Fox Executive: Writer, executive producer, Fox executive

As I stated before I think we could work with either idea, but I think the survival premise would give us more storylines.

the original Sex Pistol

As I stated before I think we could work with either idea, but I think the survival premise would give us more storylines.
    Or we could write both and then look what's better. It shouldn't take too long to write a pilot for both premises.

Blog Entries

The survival story seems more original but I think I'll find Fox Exec's easier to write for. I don't mind either way though.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Animation doesn't actually take that long with today's technology. I actually do a lot myself, and I can make about 5 minutes in 6 hours (unless I'm doing something really complicated/artistic). Look at South Park - they animate their entire episodes in days.

So yeah, just throwing that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Racist Pumpkin View Post
    Animation doesn't actually take that long with today's technology. I actually do a lot myself, and I can make about 5 minutes in 6 hours (unless I'm doing something really complicated/artistic). Look at South Park - they animate their entire episodes in days.

So yeah, just throwing that out there.
    If you want to animate with me be my guest.

And if I have to animate a twenty minute pilot I'll fucking kill myself. I've got some ideas for the survival premise I'll flesh out soon.

___________________ Bella Drape 'er's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Executive View Post
    Sorry, I was just gone for 7 hours, sleeping. I like what you guys have established so far and if you ask me, the pilot or first conflict should be about how the characters got into that situation
    Yeah, like them complaining "how dare you blow up the world" "hey I wanted some toast" - but something less lame like that.

Or we have two neighbours arguing about one of them putting rubbish in the wrong trash bin - then the world explodes, and everything is all firey, magma. The characters look around and then continuing arguing about the trash can.

Anyway, I like this idea Fox Executive, a really good grounded way to start.

it would be cool if a male character immediately wans to have sex with a female character, because he's obsessed with the thought of repopulating the world.
    This would be good as a one-off joke, I think it wouldn't work as a recurring joke - that's just my opinion, though.

___________________ Bella Drape 'er's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hammster View Post
    The survival story seems more original but I think I'll find Fox Exec's easier to write for. I don't mind either way though.
    Maybe we could fit in both?

An animated tv show studio trying to stimulate the last remaining people to build up a post-apocalyptic world!

If we're going to write a pilot for both premises shouldn't we start creating characters now? I mean I think a good character could fit into either of those situations.

Well when I drew the guy shooting the demon I started giving him demon-like features which helped me think of the set-up.

Instead of having the apocalypse come from humans nuking themselves, Hell on Earth actually occurred and went on for a thousand years as the demons arose and tortured humans, often conducting both magical and technical experiments on them. One epic day the angels finally came down, after years of preparation, and ended the chaos, breaking the fusion between Earth and Hell. However they did a sloppy job of cleaning up, as they didn't bring back those deceased from the event and many, many demons remain on Earth. Only roughly half a million humans are on Earth trying to make end's meet, battling each other and demons along the way. Tribes and communities and shit are inevitably formed. Also some demons are friendly and have adapted to human culture. The main guy I drew earlier could be an unfinished experiment from Hell, hence the deformities/demon-features.

Just a basic outline.

e: And I think it's safe to say I wanna write too.
    Last edited by HappyPalooza; 01-04-2010 at 01:54 PM.

the original Sex Pistol

As for my idea, I have already established a concept, but I did ti for a 20 minute, live action sitcom, but I think I can post it here anyway, maybe we can keep or work on some of the characters.

Ok, here we go:

Main cast:
    John Bolton: Creator and head writer of the show. Also does some voices. He is arrogant and thinks he's incredibly funny, but not too popular among his colleagues. Basically Mini-Seth MacFarlane. Age: 35
    Seth Green (yes, name=inspiration): A writer who also does some voices. Incredibly talebted and nerdy, but his talent is not really recognised by the others. Age: 29
    Albert Donovan: He's an animation director who is also credited as a writer. Has worked on King of the Hill and because of his experience he's the go-to guy for inexperienced animators. Age: 47
    Pradesh Pattatuparambil: Originally an intern, this incredibly funny indian guy has been accepted as a writing crew member. Also does some voices from time to time. Age: 19
    Dan Verducci: He's a voice actor who thinks he always has to correct and improve the scripts and often pops into the writers' room unanounced, therefore not really popular among the writers. He has worked on several unknown sitcoms. Age: 51
    Sandy Landon: She's officially John Bolton's assistant, but she's basically the girl for everything. She writes down possible storylines that the writers come up with, she types scripts, brings coffe and so on. Age: 25

Supporting cast:
    David Goldman: Animaton director and artist who works incredibly hard and is liked by nearly anyone, with the exeption of Albert Donovan. The two often try to top each other in therms of richness of the animation of their episodes. Age: 37
    Matthiew Anderson: The 'class clown' of the animators. He also does some voices. Age: 22
    Alfred Livingston: He's the composer and musical director and editor. The show often uses music and he has conducted many orchestras and has won an Emmy. Age: 58
    Steven Mulder: Network executive and the guy in charge of the censoring process. Hated by everyone, he constantly reminds everyone that violence and swear language are inappropriate, even on cable.

Cool characters Fox, though the Pradesh Pattatuparambil character seems like he's been done before. I may be just be judging by the name but I think "foreign" characters have been reused often.

Thread Information