View Poll Results: Should I make a new thread for each premise leaving this one for generally discussing show creation?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, make a new thread for each premise.

8 72.73%
  • No, keep just this one.

3 27.27%
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Our own animated sitcom?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I may be getting too deep into this too early, but if we do a fast-paced, realistic show here I wanna make sure we avoid the writing mistakes of a typical sitcom with the characters "zinging" each other back and forth and jokes like: A: tell me about it, I did x today B: aw, because you [something nice or obvious] A: no, because I [something dirty or cruel] *pause for laugh*

Any "rimshot" jokes and "wuhmwuuuuhhm" jokes should be avoided or done in original ways.

___________________ Bella Drape 'er's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Executive View Post
    OK, here's what I have so far:

Bea O Problem: writer, story editor
    Bella: writer, co-executive producer
    Guy Haines: writer, story editor
    Happy Palooza: anomation supervisor, animation director, animator, consulting producer
    troymclure17: writer, co-creator
    Fox Executive: writer, executive producer, co-creator
    hammster will want to do something, we should probably wait until they get back to us on how they want to be involved in this.

the original Sex Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by HappyPalooza View Post
    I may be getting too deep into this too early, but if we do a fast-paced, realistic show here I wanna make sure we avoid the writing mistakes of a typical sitcom with the characters "zinging" each other back and forth and jokes like: A: tell me about it, I did x today B: aw, because you [something nice or obvious] A: no, because I [something dirty or cruel] *pause for laugh*

Any "rimshot" jokes and "wuhmwuuuuhhm" jokes should be avoided or done in original ways.
    On that note, I don't want a typical sitcom-feeling if you know what I mean. I would like if the jokes come out of the clear bluelike in 30 Rock, The Office,... In the 'classic' sitcoms you have laugh tracks after every line. That sucks.

OK, here's what I have so far:

Bea O Problem: writer, story editor
    Bella: writer, co-executive producer
    Guy Haines: writer, story editor
    Happy Palooza: anomation supervisor, animation director, animator, consulting producer
    troymclure17: writer, co-creator
    Fox Executive: writer, executive producer, co-creator
    Holy balls please tell me someone else is animating too. I am not productive enough to depend on animating for a whole series.

I think we should wait on "co-creator" credits too until we actually get around to fully creating the show.

the original Sex Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Bella Drape 'er View Post
    hammster will want to do something, we should probably wait until they get back to us on how they want to be involved in this.
    maybe he can also be an exec producer like you and me, if he wants he can even be a co-creator.

Isn't Troymclure17 also doing character design?

the original Sex Pistol

Holy balls please tell me someone else is animating too. I am not productive enough to depend on animating for a whole series.

I think we should wait on "co-creator" credits too until we actually get around to fully creating the show.
    I hope so, it looks lit you are doing pretty much everything right now...

And yeah, I was just copying what everyone has posted.

On that note, I don't want a typical sitcom-feeling if you know what I mean. I would like if the jokes come out of the clear bluelike in 30 Rock, The Office,... In the 'classic' sitcoms you have laugh tracks after every line. That sucks.
    We could do some awkward situation humor like Curb.

the original Sex Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Haines View Post
    Isn't Troymclure17 also doing character design?
    wrote that down.

the original Sex Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Haines View Post
    We could do some awkward situation humor like Curb.
    god, that would be so awesome, but that's really hard to write.

So by "realistic" what do we mean by this? That it's about real life or the character's reactions and behaviors are natural? Because you can have a show about demons from Hell fighting aliens and still have the tone be "realistic." I know it sounds like I'm grabbing at making it not about real-life, but I just want to clear it up.

So by "realistic" what do we mean by this? That it's about real life or the character's reactions and behaviors are natural? Because you can have a show about demons from Hell fighting aliens and still have the tone be "realistic." I know it sounds like I'm grabbing at making it not about real-life, but I just want to clear it up.
    realistic as in not surreal, along the lines of believable but yet the situations wouldn't play out as they naturally do in the real world.

Another thing with the writing is I'd be opposed to making the script very definitive. The voice actors should be allowed to improvise. That sounds silly to have people improvise with themselves but it really works giving them creative freedom on top of the written material. When I was doing the previously posted cartoon I had the two other VA's record the written lines and make up their own shit on top of it in multiple takes and they came out fantastic.

the original Sex Pistol

Another thing with the writing is I'd be opposed to making the script very definitive. The voice actors should be allowed to improvise. That sounds silly to have people improvise with themselves but it really works giving them creative freedom on top of the written material. When I was doing the previously posted cartoon I had the two other VA's record the written lines and make up their own shit on top of it in multiple takes and they came out fantastic.
    I know what you mean, but we're talking about a show of maybe 5 minutes, there's just no room for improvisation.

Simmer Down There, Sparky Skylark Jones's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Who's going to be a VA?

I know what you mean, but we're talking about a show of maybe 5 minutes, there's just no room for improvisation.
    Maybe if the voice actors (which we still haven't got) should read the script over first and write down any improvisations they made in their pre-recording read.

the original Sex Pistol

Maybe if the voice actors (which we still haven't got) should read the script over first and write down any improvisations they made in their pre-recording read.
    That sounds more doable, good idea.

Blog Entries

That might be good, so long as not a lot of it is improvised

Nah, it could really work. In the one scene that was 1 minute long, I had over six minutes of recorded dialogue and I cut it down to the best bits and made it flow properly. I don't say it has to be that way, but we should consider it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bea O Problem View Post
    Who's going to be a VA?
    I'd be willing to audition, but I'd have to wait for a character description of course. And newgrounds is swarming with wannabe VA's, but most of them (males) are pretty bad.

Blog Entries

How would people audition?

Im not promising anything yet, but i may be able to get a few people to help with animating.

The improvising I meant was more a matter of saying the same things a different way with extra little asides like "I'm gonna tell everyone she's pregnant" that has no effect on the writing or pace. Unless it's more a "writery" show, where the dialogue is very tight.

edit: and you just have people send e-mails with audio files to audition

Blog Entries

I'd help myself but I suck at it

Perhaps we could spread the word for auditions or make another thread here to find VAs.

I'd be willing to audition, but I'd have to wait for a character description of course. And newgrounds is swarming with wannabe VA's, but most of them (males) are pretty bad.
    So, does this mean we're not going to have any female characters, or males impersonating females?

So, does this mean we're not going to have any female characters, or males impersonating females?
    No I meant the males were bad. The first girl I asked to audition was great. We wouldn't have a problem with female characters.

Blog Entries

I think he was just commenting how most {or all} of them over there are males. And if not, we need at least one female character and VA

Quote Originally Posted by Bea O Problem View Post
    I think he was just commenting how most {or all} of them over there are males. And if not, we need at least one female character and VA
    Yes, she did.

um, what

Blog Entries

Yes, she did.
    I didn't know, I just assume people are males/females based on their avatars

We need a character who hates everyone else for stupid reasons {"I hate the color of your hair, ya lunatic"}

Thread Information