Worst Looney Tunes / Merrie Melodies Character

Foghorn Leghorn.

Can't stand him.

i love Foghorn Leghorn

at the other side of reality cinco's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheForbiddenDonut View Post
    i love Foghorn Leghorn
    It is great you love him. Difference in taste makes the world an interesting place.

Blog Entries

taz, but mostly because i can't separate the character from all the shitty merchandise

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    taz, but mostly because i can't separate the character from all the shitty merchandise
    I know a guy who has a Taz-tattoo. Go figure!

Has the mark of Cain Dr. Horrible's Avatar

honestly tweety.....at least the new stylized tweety

the tweety that was drawn awkwardly and acted more like bugs who could fly im ok with

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Second Foghorn. I like him more as a lawyer on Futurama.

Also, I dislike Taz and Tweety mostly because fat women seem to have an affinity towards them. Seriously! I've seen more Taz or Tweety tattoos on more fat arms than I'd even want to. Also, they deck their cars out with the characters, usually dressed in "urban" wear.

Pathetic. Especially considering they were originally created by wholesome racist white guys.
    UP AND ATOM!

bored at work; board at work Last Milhouse on the Left's Avatar

Porky and Tweety. Too much Foghorn in one sitting and he's annoying. I tend to root for the dog in those ones.

Foghorn is my favorite Mel Blanc voice; such a funny character

i'm not a huge fan of the three bears; Taz is seriously one of the worst Warner creations of all time; Pepe le Pew is the dullest of Jones' one-joke characters; Coyote and Road Runner is impossible to handle in large doses.

I'm the resident Looney Tunes geek around here, so you know I'm gonna get obscure.

The only Warner Bros. character whom I actively dislike is Buddy. He was created in 1933 by animator Tom Palmer as an effort to replace Hugh Harman and Rudolf Ising's Bosko character, and apparently Palmer forgot to give him a personality. He didn't bring anything new to the table (Bob Clampett once called Buddy "Bosko in whiteface"), and his first cartoons were so bad that the entire Looney Tunes animation studio was almost shut down right then and there. Pretty much his entire M.O. consisted of dancing around merrily to the tune of whatever Warner-owned song they had to plug in that particular cartoon. Fortunately, Tex Avery showed up in 1935 and taught everyone there how to make funny cartoons, and Buddy was mercifully retired.

A number of Buddy cartoons are on the sixth Looney Tunes Golden Collection, and they're a pain and a half to sit through. Say what you will about Tweety and the Tasmanian Devil and Pepe le Pew, but at least they actually try to make the audience laugh.

Nineteen-Ninety-Something
    A webcomic about my favorite decade
    and the characters who made it interesting

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

I hate the Taz fanfare, but I liked the character in the earlier cartoons
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

Agree with Taz and Tweety and i'm not really much of a fan of Marvin the Martian, he isn't inherently unlikable but every cartoon with him in it is exactly the same and frankly he is alittle dull
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

As a kid, I didn't like The Three Bears, except in their first and only instance when they were paired with Bugs Bunny. The Papa Bear, or "Henry" was just too mean to make the series enjoyable.

I also hate what happened to Daffy after about 1963, when he became yet another Looney Tunes villain. (There were already attempts at that before, but for the remainder of the decade, he would replace Sylvester as Speedy Gonzales' main antagonist.) Chuck Jones was the only director who really understood how to make Daffy a greedy slob, as there was always a layer of likability behind it. Take that away, and he's even worse off than Elmer Fudd or Yosemite Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Shutton View Post
    Agree with Taz and Tweety and i'm not really much of a fan of Marvin the Martian, he isn't inherently unlikable but every cartoon with him in it is exactly the same and frankly he is alittle dull
    I wouldn't say every Marvin cartoon is the same. Admittedly, there are some distinct similarities between "Haredevil Hare" and "Hare-Way to the Stars", but the Instant Martians in the latter picture definitely help to set them apart (not to mention those incredible Maurice Noble layouts). "The Hasty Hare" is incomparable to the other films, as it actually brings Marvin to Bugs' environment, not the other way around. And of course, "Duck Dodgers in the 24th 1/2 Century" puts Marvin into the formula of Chuck Jones' Daffy and Porky movie parodies of the '50s.

"Mad as a Mars Hare", though, that one's just crappy. It's from 1963, which was during Jones' "have every character talk nonstop for seven minutes" phase, and it suffers from some really boring animation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Last Milhouse on the Left View Post
    Porky and Tweety. Too much Foghorn in one sitting and he's annoying. I tend to root for the dog in those ones.
    Watch the old Porky cartoons made by Bob Clampett in the 30's. They are GREAT !!!

And when you're watching those pig-cartoons, also give this one a check. It isn't Porky, but is a terrific cartoon and it inspired the THOH4-segment, in which Homer meets the devil.

About worse characters: I never understood why they used Granny as much as they did.
    Last edited by cinco; 12-04-2009 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cinco View Post
    About worse characters: I never understood why they used Granny as much as they did.
    The introduction of Granny was, in my opinion, the beginning of the end for Tweety. Prior to her first appearance, Tweety was a much more violent character - the entire joke was that he's a cute little baby bird who can beat the shit out of a cat. He's extremely active in his three Bob Clampett cartoons and even some of Friz Freleng's early turns with him (just look at all the stuff he does to Sylvester in the first two minutes of "Bad Ol' Puddy Tat").

But in "Canary Row", the dynamic changed. Suddenly, it's Granny who beats the crap out of Sylvester, while Tweety just sits in his cage and watches. Freleng said that he deliberately toned down Tweety as the series went on, and I personally think that was a mistake. (Granny had potential, though, and Freleng realized it in "Hare Trimmed", one of her only appearances outside of the Sylvester and Tweety series, and one of the funniest Bugs/Yosemite Sam cartoons ever made.)

Blog Entries

Don't forget the nightmare that was Loonatics Unleashed.
    Last edited by cinco; 12-04-2009 at 09:48 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wavy Gravy View Post
    Prior to her first appearance, Tweety was a much more violent character - the entire joke was that he's a cute little baby bird who can beat the shit out of a cat. He's extremely active in his three Bob Clampett cartoons

This is the Tweety you talk about.
    Few people know this version of Tweety.
    He is also naked... or pink. I don't know for sure.

Has the mark of Cain Dr. Horrible's Avatar

i enjoy that tweety, not the yellow bastardized version

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Horrible View Post
    Yes, he is great in "a Gruesome Twosome". Those cats in that cartoon were also outrageous. It's a pity they didn't return.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Horrible View Post
    to be fair i'm pretty sure he only had one, maybe two appearances as the pink Tweety. he soon after became the yellow tweety he's universally known as so it's sort of strange to call that version, which has been around forever, the 'new, stylized' version.

the(david) white album Raoul Dukie's Avatar

Speedy Gonzalez.

Tyrant: feuds w/ Bette & Joan D DEBBS's Avatar

Beaky Buzzard and Charlie Dog ("Look, you ain't got a dog, and I ain't got a master!")

bored at work; board at work Last Milhouse on the Left's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cinco View Post
    Watch the old Porky cartoons made by Bob Clampett in the 30's. They are GREAT !!!
    I was including those when I said I didn't like him! Just not my thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Last Milhouse on the Left View Post
    I was including those when I said I didn't like him! Just not my thing.
    Ok, fine by me. Like I say, different tastes make the world go round.

Quote Originally Posted by Wavy Gravy View Post
    I'm the resident Looney Tunes geek around here, so you know I'm gonna get obscure.

The only Warner Bros. character whom I actively dislike is Buddy. He was created in 1933 by animator Tom Palmer as an effort to replace Hugh Harman and Rudolf Ising's Bosko character, and apparently Palmer forgot to give him a personality. He didn't bring anything new to the table (Bob Clampett once called Buddy "Bosko in whiteface"), and his first cartoons were so bad that the entire Looney Tunes animation studio was almost shut down right then and there. Pretty much his entire M.O. consisted of dancing around merrily to the tune of whatever Warner-owned song they had to plug in that particular cartoon. Fortunately, Tex Avery showed up in 1935 and taught everyone there how to make funny cartoons, and Buddy was mercifully retired.

A number of Buddy cartoons are on the sixth Looney Tunes Golden Collection, and they're a pain and a half to sit through. Say what you will about Tweety and the Tasmanian Devil and Pepe le Pew, but at least they actually try to make the audience laugh.
    I challenge you about being resident Looney Tunes geek around here. But i agree with you about Bosko and Buddy

Blog Entries

And who does remember this Mickey Mouse-clone, called Foxy?

Blog Entries

i remember it, toonheads had a whole episode of mickey rip-offs

man, i haven't thought about toonheads in years but i miss it

gave his life for tourism Magnum's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i'm guessing you nerds would just roll your eyes if i started making obvious references to the itchy & scratchy movie and the day the violence died
    Quote Originally Posted by tones
    I was born with a wah-wah pedal

Blog Entries

Wile E. Coyote TIE Road Runner

I could accept Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam facing off against Daffy and Bugs multiple times, but this shit was literally the same fucking cartoon over and over.

Thread Information