• 3/5: good

41 35.96%
  • 2/5: average

25 21.93%
  • 1/5: bad

10 8.77%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

R&R: "Rednecks and Broomsticks" (LABF19)

sorry, no poll

yes, poll is here (better yet, i did it for ya bartyboy!) - dewey finn

LISA BECOMES THE STAR WITNESS IN THE SPRINGFIELD WITCH TRIALS
    ON AN ALL-NEW “THE SIMPSONS” SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 29, ON FOX

Neve Campbell Makes Guest Voice Appearance

After getting lost in a game of hide-and-seek, Lisa wanders into the field and discovers three teenage girls, including Cassandra (guest voice Neve Campbell), who are practicing Wiccans. Though she is skeptical of their spells, the girls assure Lisa that they never hurt anyone and ask her to join their coven. Just before Lisa is inducted into their pact, Chief Wiggum arrives and arrests the three girls for witchcraft and Lisa becomes the star witness in the trial. Meanwhile, Homer starts hanging out with Cleatus and his hillbilly friends when he discovers that they make moonshine in the all-new “Rednecks and Broomsticks” episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, Nov. 29 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SI-2019) (TV-PG V)

Voice Cast: Dan Castellaneta as Homer Simpson; Julie Kavner as Marge Simpson; Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson; Yeardley Smith as Lisa Simpson; Hank Azaria as Moe; Harry Shearer as Skinner; Pamela Haden as Milhouse

Guest Voice Cast: Neve Campbell as Cassandra
    Last edited by sung; 11-29-2009 at 06:22 PM.

Blog Entries

poll?

Anyways, for me, this wasn't the greatest or anything. I actually liked the main plot more then the sub plot. The sub plot had some funny moments but the main plot had an interesting plot. There were some funny gags, but I just didn't like it much after the Wiccans blinded the town. I also didn't like the real explanation to how all got blinded, and I thought the end was stupid. The first two acts were the best, the second two were pretty bad. So I'll say a 3/5. It had a good first half, not-so good second half

Wishing the 2000s would end CyberpunkSpy's Avatar

2.5/5

The episode seemed kinda of weak but the ending prevented it from becoming a 2/5.

I didn't like how Lisa got into the wiccans so easily. She doesn't seem like that type of person to do that. Oh..that line about being cool, seem a little contrived to be right at end. Where did she ever think about being cool by joining a bunch of pseudo-pagan girls?

Blog Entries

I enoyed the episode's plot execution, such as the explanation for how so many people got blinded as well as the humor, like the substitute teacher asking Lisa "which craft?" I also enjoyed the subplot. However, I found Lisa annoying throughout the second act. I was debating on whether to give this episode a 3/5 or 4/5, but I went with 3/5 because an episode that was a little painful for me throughout the second act shouldn't get more than a 3/5 from me.

Also, while I laughed at the "Bop It" parody at the beginning, I thought it went on too long and got annoying.
    You can do anything if you put your mind to it.

Everything happens for a reason.

Just be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Don't worry about the world ending today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

Wishing the 2000s would end CyberpunkSpy's Avatar

However, I loved this line. Mr Brockman: We all did crazy things on 9/11.

Still bringing on those 9/11 references huh?

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

Sorry I forgot to put in a poll. If a mod could do so, that would be great.

As for the episode, I hated it. I was saying "WTF is this" most of the time. This episode reminded me of Lisa the Drama Queen, but not as bad. I did enjoy the Bambi parody, however. 1.5/5

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

4/5 from me. Cletus, snow, Blinky, Moe and mobs are all good things.
    UP AND ATOM!

We have to add a poll. All r/r have their own poll and end up on the r/r archives.

Anyways, this was a surprisingly bad episode. There were some scattered good gags throughout the episode but twice as many uncomfortable overlong ones. As someone who knows a neopagan/wiccan, the way the wiccans were so stereotypical that it bordered on the offensive and having such a contrived explanation to justify the 'screw the audience' plotline of the wiccans blinding the town was ridiculous.

Besides, the episode was boring and had some of the worst direction I've seen in the Simpsons in a long while.

Good gags: hicks dancing, Flanders 'nip slip hotline' and the 9/11 gag (i guess for the unexpected shock value of it)

1.5 / 5

Junior Camper

just an odd episode. My favorite part was the joke about the Goat evading taxes. 2/5

beautifully directed eh? and somewhat decent pacing.. but where's the funny guys? It feels like they take 2 minutes to progress the plot (with bad puns sometimes) and then we get 20 seconds of jokes that are totally unrelated to do with what's going on (like both scenes with Moe tonight). It's like, the writers just can't think of anything funny with what they're actually writing.. this isn't even random humor, this is just awful.

meh.

i would give it a 2 out of 5. i would have given it a 1 out of 5, but everytime i see some Moe action , it goes up a star. that mob comment was hilarious.

and yes, brockman's 9/11 comment stole the show. even tho it is dated.

the bopit thing was annoying.

bart giving his speech on "witches" and how lisa should be one when she's old was pretty much bang on.

there could have been more flanders in this episode.

and wiggim firing the gun in the air saying he's trying to shoot a fly was also great.

Quote Originally Posted by chagopian View Post
    beautifully directed eh? and somewhat decent pacing.. but where's the funny guys? It feels like they take 2 minutes to progress the plot (with bad puns sometimes) and then we get 20 seconds of jokes that are totally unrelated to do with what's going on (like both scenes with Moe tonight). It's like, the writers just can't think of anything funny with what they're actually writing.. this isn't even random humor, this is just awful.
    yah i kinda feel like i'm starting to watch a drama more than a comedy sometimes.

Blog Entries

I thought it was filled with funny gags. Other than the one I mentioned, I liked Wiccapedia, off the top of my head.

Also, I cringed at Lisa's line at the end about being cool. I was like, yeah, I get the point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D'ohmer View Post
    I thought it was filled with funny gags. Other than the one I mentioned, I liked Wiccapedia, off the top of my head.

Also, I cringed at Lisa's line at the end about being cool. I was like, yeah, I get the point.
    Especially because, as we all know, she isn't cool at all, right

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: D'ohmer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bea O Problem View Post
    Especially because, as we all know, she isn't cool at all, right
    Right

Blog Entries

So the thread is started later then usual, and after close to an hour after it aired, there have only been about 13-14 reviews? Does this hint possible low ratings?

Blog Entries

So the thread is started later then usual, and after close to an hour after it aired, there have only been about 13-14 reviews? Does this hint possible low ratings?
    maybe

The Devil wears nada was like this and that suprised me, but I don't know.

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

gave it a 3.5, liked Homer and Moe, didn't like most of the Wicca plot
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Blog Entries

Rate & Review "Rednecks and Broomsticks" (LABF19) (now with polls!)

alright everybody and ladi-dadi, poll's here
    calmer than you are

Blog Entries

EDIT: never mind, it had my same review, but I didn't know they'd be merged

why not just combine?

I can't do this here, but just a suggestion

edit: there we go.

mm, maybe i should have voted a '2' instead of '1'. After all, Kent's 9/11 line and a few other gags were pretty good and the first few minutes were decent.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

yaaaay Sung

Anyways.

For me, this was mostly just an episode to sit back and relax to, I guess. I actually didn’t have a problem with the beginning at all; really, I enjoyed it – I like just little bits of the family like that, where they still are just a family doing things together, even if they’re annoying one another or whatever (not to mention I just liked the whole kids against parents sort of dynamic). The crash on the ice was actually a bit genuinely disturbing.

The ways the main and subplots mostly stuck together were pretty good, diverging and then converging again – at least they were connected and the episode had a decent flow to it. Ultimately, though, the subplot stuff was better and much more interesting.

The wiccan stereotypes were mostly unimpressive and uninteresting, but Lisa’s draw to the belief still worked (a cute scene that I liked was Bart noticing the pentagram on Lisa’s computer and joyfully exclaiming that she’d joined the dark side; nice brother/sister scene between the two). It does fit with her/she’s actually shown interest in the past, not to mention a little girl seeing something that she perceives as cool…

Best joke for the episode for me was Rod’s “I think that says Dell”, that was great. Unimpressed with Flanders’ role, I mean, really? And the Moe/mob stuff wasn’t doing anything for me. Felt out of place.

But on the note of jokes, Kent had two hits tonight and for one scene: good for him! The 12 years bit, and the 9/11 bit. Ahah.

Homer as an alcohol connoisseur was brilliant and I love his half-glasses every time they make an appearance.

The blinding thing was… not played too well. It was obvious that the wiccans didn’t actually do it, so I was just sitting through the last act waiting for an explanation (which I didn’t think actually sucked…). The ending didn’t feel right, for whatever reason. I’m really not sure how to describe that though.

Not too terrible an outing overall, really.

Blog Entries

Hail dewey!

Anyway, interesting episode. The good was really good, but there were a few jokes that majorly missed the mark thrown in there. I liked the way the two plots converged together (even though the resolution was kind of obvious), and everyone was in-character. Some of the jokes fell victim to Jean-era hallmarks such as being overdone and not being funny, but most worked quite well. The setup was good, and I liked the various redneck characters (and they avoided stupid incest jokes!), and the first scene with Moe was good (the second...not so much). Some other big laughs were "it's the computer to hell!" "It says DELL" (part of the reason I found this funny was because of some issues my family has had with dells throughout the years) and Chief Wiggum trying to blow the fly off his nose. Imperfect but serviceable. 13/15

Who wrote it?
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

Blog Entries

Kevin Curran

alot of us watch family guy and american dad , then come on here later.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D'ohmer View Post
    Kevin Curran
    Thanks, for those who are interested he also wrote:
    * "We're on the Road to D'owhere"
    * "Don't Fear the Roofer"
    * "My Big Fat Geek Wedding"
    * "I'm Spelling as Fast as I Can"
    * "Treehouse of Horror XIII" (the Island of Dr. Hibbert segment)
    * "The Wife Aquatic"
    * "Sex, Pies and Idiot Scrapes"
    * "Rednecks and Broomsticks"

This is probably his third best after "Roofer" and "Spelling"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    alot of us watch family guy and american dad , then come on here later.
    yea i guess, but there's only 11 or so members viewing here. We usually have over 30. I guess that doesn't really mean anything, just seems odd

one thing I thought they could have done was have the "richer" people in springfield not go blind because they buy bottled water .

i was surprised to see krusty the klown drinking tap water. you would thnk he would be drinking bottled water or something .

btw, does anybody know the reference or the parody they were doing when they showed homer and cletus delivering the moonshine with teh 5-6 screens .

i've seen that somewhere... wondering where though.

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    Thanks, for those who are interested he also wrote:
    * "Don't Fear the Roofer"
    Wow, that was an amazing S16 episode, especially if compared to this failure.

Thread Information