15 10.79%
  • 1/5

13 9.35%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: R/R Pranks and Greens

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

R/R Pranks and Greens

Principal Skinner tells Bart about Andy Hamilton, a former student who was an even better prankster than Bart is. Bart tracks down Andy, now 19 and still pulling pranks, and the two become quick friends.

4/5

Really good one, the story was engaging, tthough the third act and Marge Subplot was a bit weak

Wishing the 2000s would end CyberpunkSpy's Avatar

3/5. Lisa's characterization was really poor and one-sided. That ending was overdone. She was reduced to another angry liberal, so sad.

However, I liked how Bart was the prankster yet tried to stop the (fake) prank at the end. That was very clever.

Liked the further character development of Skinner.

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: D'ohmer

Pretty good episode. A little boring (go figure...) but whatever. 4/5

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pretty decent, there were some nice pranks by Bart and Milhouse at the beginning, and there were some pretty good jokes scattered around. I didn't like the last act though, it wasn't that good, but it was only 3-4 minutes or so. 4/5

I really liked that episode, Lisa calling Bart and Andy was surprisingly funny and remained funny throughout the episode.

One thing though is that Chief Wiggum sounded really weird when he talked.

Junior Camper

It was decent, I thought the story lagged a little towards the last half, otherwise a decent effort. 3/5

who wrote it?

Junior Camper

4/5
    The B story didn't seem too original for me, but the main plot was great. I thought Jonah Hill's voice just fit right in with the character. I was also very happy with the ending that he becomes a TV writer and doesn't end up as a loser. (he's our kind of winner Lisa)

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: D'ohmer

(he's our kind of winner Lisa)
    Yeah, she really went overboard. It was funny at first but the writers never developed it beyond a 1-d hatred of losers.
    Last edited by CyberpunkSpy; 11-22-2009 at 05:48 PM.

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: D'ohmer

Blog Entries

Nothing offensive but thoroughly unspectacular. There were good parts, but quite a bit of dead space. I could see the end the moment the worm truck pulled up, and the only things saving the subplot were homer and the women throwing molemwn out of the back of the ambulance. I still enjoyed it, but it was the worst of the season for me. Hopefully this is merely an abberation. 11/15
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    who wrote it?
    Jeff Westbrook

Blog Entries

First, I'll explain what I thought of the intro.

Billboard Gag: Pretty funny
    Chalkboard Gag: Same as billboard gag
    Couch Gag: Great

Now, my opinions on the actual episode.

I really enjoyed the episode. I thought the plot was interesting as soon as I heard it and I thought it was executed very well. I enjoyed the many pranks and I liked Bart helping Andy. I also like the explanation on how Skinner changed. There were also many hilarious moments, like Milhouse imagining the sidekick.

I also liked the subplot. I thought it was funny throughout, especially the ending of it.

So, I have all these things I liked about it. Is there anything I didn't? Unfortunately, Yes.

I hated Lisa in this episode. I thought she started out mediocre at best in the computer lab and got progressively worse as the episode went on. What I hated the most was the recurring loser gag. I hated the second act break. I hated it when I saw it. However, I began to hate it more when they ended the episode with it. Then, it went on into the credits (WTF?) It was incredible annoying and the first time in her bedroom was bad enough for me. i didn't need to see an even worse version of it two more times. This is my third least favorite Lisa moment this season.

Still, the positives I mentioned above are still enough for me to give this episode a 4/5.

Blog Entries

Wait...dohmer didn't like Lisa? Stop the presses!

Actually, she was pretty bad in this episode. Definitely her season worst for me (I think I can guess what the other two are, dohmer)

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D'ohmer View Post

I hated Lisa in this episode. I thought she started out mediocre at best in the computer lab and got progressively worse as the episode went on.
    Please stop, really. You'd hate Lisa if she was just in the background and not saying anything. Lisa calling Bart and And a loser as she drove around them was the funniest bit, IMO. Otherwise, this episode was really a yawnfest, besides the Skinner/Worms prank.

3/5

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Junior Camper

Lisa really wasn't the likable type in this episode. I thought the first loser line was okay, but after Bart was trying to help Andy and she was still talking down about him, that was too much.

20. Thumbs Up To This Post by: D'ohmer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    Wait...dohmer didn't like Lisa? Stop the presses!

Actually, she was pretty bad in this episode. Definitely her season worst for me (I think I can guess what the other two are, dohmer)
    Yeah, you probably can. They are the only two other moments that I found her painful

I hated Lisa in this episode.
    big surprise

Lack of hilarious gags (tho a handful of clever ones), but lack of bad gags. Good pacing, good story and a nice conclusion for a loser getting successful.

Characterization of Bart, Skinner and Lisa seemed a bit off. Bart seemed too cruel on his pranks (wrecking a car?), Skinner seemed too controlled for what happened and barely seemed angry, and Lisa's "loser" thing probably should have not been repeated at the end.

3.3/5
    Last edited by zitro; 11-22-2009 at 06:06 PM.

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: D'ohmer

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

4/5. Not too bad, some funny gags (the worms, loser, moleman in the ambulance). Slow in some parts

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I hated Lisa in this episode.

I'd say stuff like "Wow... no surprise there" but I actually found it somewhat annoying also. But Andy was kind of a loser, as he was still pulling pranks without getting a job. So yea, she was annoying but she had a point and was technically correct IMO

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: D'ohmer

loooooooser.

Anyway, I don't see the Simpsons much anymore and decided to give this episode a chance. I thought it was well rounded, it was nice having a episode devoted to Bart's pranking persona and it clearly details the angst Bart is feeling, knowing he is under the shadow of much better men who were there before him and he will never achieve anything in his life. Wait what? The guest voice guy did a nice job and seeing Skinner spend a weekend in the pool was sadistic as it was midly funny. And even the subplot was great, showing how societies standards in this green era are just too impossible for the common man to live up too.

All in all I give this episode a F-.

Why?

Because of Willie swimsuit. That'll bring up some nightmares, amirite?

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: hughes

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Episode was weak on humour for the most part, but fairly strong main plot-wise. A lot of the gags weren't particularly funny and were forced in some instances. The entire set up of the ending, in particular - it's obvious that Krusty diving into a pool of worms was the point of the gag, and they spent so long setting it up and acting as though it wasn't and Andy was just pranking Krusty on-air. Honestly, that was just bad, although the quick cut to Skinner in that bit was probably the funniest moment of the episode.

I could see what the subplot was going for, but really, who couldn't? There just didn't seem to be anything of substance there. It was obvious how it was going to play out, the jokes were largely predictable, and it was just a time filler. Meh.

And I really was not a fan of the explanation of how Skinner went from "cool to tool". Anything that treats a character like that is typically going to come out lame and stupid. Skinner's been a dork for a large portion of his life; certainly before he even became a principal, like in Vietnam. Just... not interesting, and the payoff we got from it wasn't exactly worth it.

What has me liking this episode is the main plot, specifically the Bart characterization. He was great: he's a fun-loving, mischievous kid. The fact that he recognizes that is a really good thing and true to the core of his character. He isn't a one-dimensional prankster; I feel that Bart is someone having a good time now, but he isn't going to end up a total loser or anything. At some point, real life is going to kick him and give him the drive he does have (like his hatred for hard work - unless he's working hard on pranks) to grow up and actually make something of himself. Until then, I guess he's kind of above it.

Him actually looking at Andy played out nicely as well. At first he's in awe and absolutely loving it, but then Lisa points something out to him - as she has done in the past - and that causes him to reanalyze his original opinion. Hell, seeing Bart lecture Andy on actually growing up was something really great to see. It fit with the both of them and kind of speaks volumes when it's Bart that has to do the lecturing.

The Lisa-hate here, though, I don't get. She was fine. Hell, I side with her. If I knew a kid that was like Bart on the surface I'd probably hate him/be incredibly agitated by him, as well. If I knew a kid like Andy, I'd be annoyed by him. He was a loser, that kind of attitude in life is being a loser. I give Bart a pass so often because there's more depth to him than that and he's on a TV show and not real life, but people who present themselves that way? Fucking suck. Maybe I'm sympathizing a lot harder because I essentially was Lisa when I was a little kid, but like... seriously. She wasn't exactly in the wrong for pointing things out the way they are. At some point it's time to stop dicking around and start growing up. Andy was at that point. Bart isn't, yet, but he's her brother - she's going to try to agitate him, same as he's going to try to agitate her. And the ending was just some cute meta. I don't get the problem.

Bart really did sell the episode, though. The Milhouse abuse was a bit over-the-top, but Andy was a pretty good character and him with Bart really did work.

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

good, not great. I really liked the main plot with Bart and Jonah Hill, thought the Marge subplot was pretty good, but could've done better, my only real beef was Lisa's "loser" schtick got old really quick, 3.5/5
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: D'ohmer

Blog Entries

^skinner was not a loser in vietnam, he was a street punk in capital city

I didn't hate Lisa in this one, per se, I just thought the joke was overdone

34. Thumbs Up To This Post by: CMYK, D'ohmer

Quote Originally Posted by |Mr.Sparkle| View Post
    One thing though is that Chief Wiggum sounded really weird when he talked.
    I noticed that too! I thought he sounded a bit odd when he shouted as he drove by in the car and I was like, "Huh?" This episode was all right, but it wasn't too great. I did like the parts with Skinner, though. I'll give it a 3/5.

Cool avatar and sig made by the awesome merzitar!

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arii View Post
    The Lisa-hate here, though, I don't get. She was fine. Hell, I side with her.
    Tell me about it. There's wayyyyy to many insecure posters here who feel intimidated by her and when she's on screen, the insecure types cry 'foul' and demand less of her becasue she takes away from Homer/Bart/Ralph.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    ^skinner was not a loser in vietnam, he was a street punk in capital city
    I didn't say he was a loser in 'Nam, just a dork.

He's a street punk in Capital City, meets the real Skinner, and at some point during his time in Vietnam I suspect that meeting turned him around. Like... he didn't get an "up with miniskirts" joke. There are a lot of other, better examples that I can't remember in full/cite properly right now though, unfortunately (unless I'm completely mixing moments up, wasn't he trapped with some other American soldiers in a place - captured? - and they were telling each other stories to pass the time. One guy starts talking about this gorgeous women but he'd preceded the story by mentioning a candy bar and Skinner's like, "go back to the candy bar." Admittedly I could have gotten the moment wrong, I can't remember the episode to check properly...). But he had moments of the Skinner we know and love in Vietnam, definitely.

Another awesome episode! 5/5!!
    I needed that Krusty fix, they havent shown him enough this episode. I like how Bart helped change a persons life around,. good one Bart! You Rock! and many thanks to Lisa for teasing Bart on the road to redemption.
    Marge carried the food humor choir for this episode, Just like Chowder, only less weird.
    A good Sunday night over all

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Tell me about it. There's wayyyyy to many insecure posters here who feel intimidated by her and when she's on screen, the insecure types cry 'foul' and demand less of her becasue she takes away from Homer/Bart/Ralph.
    What are you talking about? Insecure? Lisa was just ridiculously annoying and 1-dimensional.

40. Thumbs Up To This Post by: D'ohmer

Thread Information