37 25.87%

25 17.48%

10 6.99%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: R/R The Devil Wears Nada

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

R/R The Devil Wears Nada

In an effort to raise money for charity, Marge and the “Philanthro-Chicks” decide to pose for a calendar. At the photo studio, Marge is a bit reluctant to reveal any skin, but the photographer (Hank Azaria) loosens her up with wine and before long, Marge and her pin-up poses are the talk of Springfield.

Junior Camper

Best of the season so far. The Ned/Marge storyline was odd and didn't really connect with the calender storyline. Either way it was funny and included Carl Carlson so I enjoyed it. 5/5

Just not good. This whole Marge/Homer "breaking up" and then making up again at the end of the episode is getting very, very old and annoying. And that Flanders part? Pathetic.

A decently fresh episode, the whole husband/wife trouble angle was actually underplayed To make room for the Homer and Carl plot so that was a plus. Though wasn't Carl already Homer's supervisor?

It gets a solid 3/5.

Wishing the 2000s would end CyberpunkSpy's Avatar

4/5. Very good episode but one plot hole. What happened to the pin-up? Was it just forgotten just like that?

This episode very much reminded me of "Catch em if you can"

Better episode than I thought it would be. Some nice laughs, and this was probably Carl's biggest role in a long time. Second only to the THOH this season.

4.5/5

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CalculatedChaos View Post
    A decently fresh episode, the whole husband/wife trouble angle was actually underplayed To make room for the Homer and Carl plot so that was a plus. Though wasn't Carl already Homer's supervisor?

It gets a solid 3/5.
    Yeah, he was his supervisor. He make's fun of Carl or something and Carl says:

"You know, Homer I am your supervisor."

and Homer responds to, "Sorry, sir."

This episode was decent. I'm happy Marge posed because she was endowed with wine rather then doing it for the heck of it. The Ned and Marge thing was strange. Homer and Carl plot, I think, was the best. 4.5/5

Blog Entries

Excellent episode, IMO. The plot felt natural, and they didn't spend too much time on the calander plot. I'm glad we actually had a power plant plot, and Ned had a
    good role, he felt more like his classic self than a religious zealot
    I wish the Bart plot had actually gone somewhere but I guess you can't have everything. 15/15
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CyberpunkSpy View Post
    This episode very much reminded me of "Catch em if you can"
    Really? I didn't think so. I actually hate that episode.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this one. I thought the plot was decent enough to keep me entertained and I thought it was very funny and some parts were hilarious, like the dice gag. Characterization was pretty much spot on for me. I don't really have anything bad to say about it. It's certaintly one of the more risque episodes, but I thought it was very enjoyable. It's not the greatest episode ever, but entertaining (IMO). 4/5

Top 10 Homer characterizations of the last 10 years. That alone makes this episode a big winner. And as tired as the whole "marriage crisis" thing has gotten over the years, this time it felt entirely natural, as it should (not like in "My Big Fat Geek Wedding" or "Bonfire of the Manatees").
    Signature.

uh wow ... I know she has subconscious liking for Ned, but this a low moment for Marge. She couldn't wait one week for Homer to come back?

It's also a risque move to make Ned also into considering kissing her. It's a bit more believable for him as he's been alone and single.

The others were in character. Homer's subplot was quite good and the dialogue was occasionally clever. The visuals of France were spectacular.

Anyways, 3.5/5 ... decent to good gags and a well constructed plot.
    Last edited by zitro; 11-15-2009 at 06:25 PM.

5/5 .... Oh La-La! Homer va à Paris!
    Very good episode! I hope Ted enjoys his retirement. I hope Lenny enjoys Burns privet jet. Moe appearing as a Gargoyle was très magnifique!

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Part of me liked Homer a lot, but the "Marrige in trouble" plot is just a cliche nowadays.

3.5/5

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Who wrote this episode?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim1986 View Post
    Who wrote this episode?
    Tim Long

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Petty complaint (and I mean really, really petty) but I thought the whole point of having the crow in the intro was to have it caw, in fitting with the fact that every time we see the power plant, we hear a crow caw. Now they've ditched that aspect entirely, it seems, and are just putting random shit to float across the title screen that seriously doesn't belong there, along with the rest of the overly-crowded intro. I guess it's a testament to the show, though; with the new intro they could have touched some things up - like the original vision of having live-action clouds flow into this bright and colourful world, or the rod from the power plant falling into the sewer after Homer throws it... And instead they've chosen to go an overly cartoony way. It's probably a little late to be bitching about the intro change now, of all times, but this particular time it struck me and just really bugged me.

That and I'm pretty sure on the opening with the power plant's first appearance, there was no crow caw there, either. What the hell?

... That aside, and boy, was that ever petty. Um. You know, I think the episode was actually a pretty good one overall, but it just didn't connect properly between its first half and second half. It started out well and it ended well but there was this strange point where it seemed to kind of fumble and switch directions.

I really, really, really loved Homer's plot throughout it. Shows what an asset the plant still can be to the show, because a pretty decent amount of good things were gleamed from it. Homer, Lenny, and Carl's fantasy at the beginning was great, Carl getting the promotion was great, and overworked!Homer is actually really refreshing to see considering how much he gets away with (there's something strangely gratifying about him actually going about his job). Plus his pain about being away from Marge was real and emotional, and especially up against the Paris backdrop, really, really beautiful.

But with Marge's side of the story, it felt strange. It's like, she didn't even need to do the calendar thing in the first place to have the role she had... Okay, so she feels sexier now and wants to be more active with Homer, but we've typically seen a fairly healthy sex life between the two, so it's not like she needed to feel particularly hornier or whatever; Homer's ever-increasing absence could have been enough (on the one hand, she's happy that he's excelling at his job and bringing in more money; on the other, she misses him).

I guess they've already handled the objectifying thing (Large Marge), but that episode was... kind of a bad one for that. More reactions from the kids would have been great (or even Homer - he'd feel particularly conscious about his absence); the bits we saw with Bart were great, is there any reason that couldn't have been developed more? Instead we got this... extremely out of place Flanders thing. The act break where Marge accidentally hit him on the head was clearly playing for a dramatic moment but I jsut found it really strange.

And the dinner made no sense. So they're being sexy to each other and... leaning in to kiss and taking such a long time for them to do it that they could pull away at any moment and I don't even know what was supposed to be going on here. I get that Marge has to do something while Homer's gone, she can't just be sitting there pining away or anything, but the calendar plot could have come back, she could have been trying to get people to leave her alone, to attempt to have a heart-to-heart with her kids about what she'd done, to-- I don't even know. But the dinner with Flanders was just fucking strange.

Admittedly it had a good payoff, the end was pretty funny - Homer's "worst friend", and his casual dismissal of Ned and not even picking up on what could have been a romantic situation between his wife and Ned. Like it didn't even matter. And that was nice to see. This was not a marriage crisis episode; throughout the whole thing, it's obvious that Homer and Marge are very committed to each other. And I really enjoy seeing that. The scene at the hotel for their romantic getaway was a good one that kind of just, I don't know, reaffirmed them (plus Homer's bad luck with the dice was hilarious) and brought them closer together and really solidified them as a couple that, you know, care about one another, despite Homer's ever-increasing absence.

So I'm not sure how to feel about this one. Homer was solid throughout. Homer/Marge were solid throughout. Marge's plot went in a strange not-entirely-sensicle direction, and yet, neither portion of it was particularly bad. Just a... bit of a gap in the flow. The episode was pretty funny, it was gorgeous, but the abrupt shift and dismissal of the part of the plot that's in the freaking title was too jarring to be ignored. Hm.

I'd never though i'd see an american tv show where they go to France and there's no stereotype

Quote Originally Posted by arii View Post
    (plus Homer's bad luck with the dice was hilarious)
    Yes!

19. Thumbs Up To This Post by: D'ohmer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    uh wow ... I know she has subconscious liking for Ned, but this might be among Marge's lowest moments ever. She couldn't wait one week for Homer to come back?

It's also a risque move to make Ned also into considering kissing her. It's a bit more believable for him as he's been alone and single.
    How is this any different than Homer almost giving in to temptations with Mindy? Also, this whole episode builds on the fact that Marge hasn't been intimate with Homer in a while, and you can see how conflicted she gets as the plot progresses when her sexual needs aren't met. I consider this episode very daring, but executed in the right way. Sure, the scenes with Marge and Ned were strange, but that's what the episode was going for. It's obviously supposed to seem out of place, and that's why Marge's character put a stop to it, similar to how Homer does in season 5. (Not a comparison on quality, of course, but still for a jean era episode, it's pulled off fairly well)

The first act made me LOL several times surprisingly, and I don't think I found anything wrong with it. The whole episode is a gold mine for some funny gems, especially in the first act (Italian Job parody). I gladly welcome back the Springfield Power Plant, for as any fan would know, it's been a while since we've seen it under such focus. It's also nice to se Carl get some focus for once. Marge and her friends (glad they didn't make some lame jokes about philanthro-chicks) posing for the calendar felt believable with the wine, charity, and knowing that in such episodes as "The Twisted World Of Marge Simpson", the women are known for going to extrodinary lengths together.
    Springfield ogling Marge had it's fun, and wasn't too over the top. I'm glad that Bart was there to defend his mother's honor at school. (Great chalkboard gag! You can tell Skinner made him write that ) Homer's characterization was "mwa!" perfecto! Best characterization since "All About Lisa". There were no bad gags or any awkward moments, although some jokes did fall flat, but nothing cringe-worthy. Homer as an executive to Carl (Plot-wise, he was considered one in the past for a gag) was interesting, and I like how that story dovetails with Marge's. This episode was better than I expected, and is full of some funny gags. I feel I might need rewatch for a more detailed review, and right now I'm debating between 3/5 or 4/5, but for now since I enjoyed myself, I'll be generous and grant it 4/5. A solid jean era episode.
    Last edited by lionelhutz123; 11-15-2009 at 07:49 PM.

Blog Entries

5/5. I'm liking Series 21 so far.

One of the best things about this episode? When Marge was trying to kiss Homer and he kept snoring into her mouth, they only did the joke twice. Twice! Not three, five or eight times as they would do usually.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think it was fair, but Carl got really annoying to me later, and the thing with Marge and Flanders was THE MOST DISTURBING THING I HAVE EVER SEEN. However, I was glad that the plot with Marge's "images" didn't go the way of Homer in "They Saved Lisa's Brain." Overall, 2/5.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    How is this any different than Homer almost giving in to temptations with Mindy? Also, this whole episode builds on the fact that Marge hasn't been intimate with Homer in a while, and you can see how conflicted she gets as the plot progresses when her sexual needs aren't met. I consider this episode very daring, but executed in the right way. Sure, the scenes with Marge and Ned were strange, but that's what the episode was going for. It's obviously supposed to seem out of place, and that's why Marge's character put a stop to it, similar to how Homer does in season 5. (Not a comparison on quality, of course, but still for a jean era episode, it's pulled off fairly well)
    I wasn't criticizing the writing for what I said about Marge. It was more of an explanation of her character and how much she seems like she needs physical intimacy.

I gave this a 3.5/5 and it might go up to 4/5 with a rewatch.

Only 1 page of comments? I predict bad ratings.

Wishing the 2000s would end CyberpunkSpy's Avatar

Give lines to the kids!!! Dammit!

Blog Entries

I don't mind them not having lines when the plot isn't centered around them.

I liked the Bart scene at school where he defends his mom. It was pretty realistic and Milhouse's raised eyebrow was amusing.

28. Thumbs Up To This Post by: D'ohmer

4/5

This episode felt like Homer's Night Out, The Crepes of Wrath, Simpson and Delilah, and Homer the Smithers in a blender. Yet it was cleverly written and despite being a Tim Long episode, actually had some rhythm to it. I liked the idea that Homer would be promoted and attentive to his job, while at the same time Marge would "inadvertently" do a photo shoot that would involve her getting a bit "revealing."

Originally I thought it would have been "Marge disrobes to raise money she needs for the family and would be seen as an immoral figure by her children" kind of episode, but instead it would turn into a "Marge wants to have sex with Homer but he's too busy with his job" kinda episode. Very clever. However, I did not enjoy the scenes with Flanders except the whack on the mallet -- "diddily".

Overall: B

Blog Entries

They did have lines. Or are you upset that this was a Homer and Marge episode? Bart at school was handled very well, and Lisa sleeping over Janies, while Bart sleeps over the neighboring house with stink bombs (no connection) was a good gag. This episode didn't concern the kids that much though, so for a less than 22 minute episode, you should be grateful for the amount of screen time they actually got. Besides, we got the power plant, which is more important when it's a rare occurence from the last 200 or so episodes. The kids have been in plenty of THOSE past episodes and will certainly be there in the future, so no worries.

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: D'ohmer, sung

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

I liked it up until the Marge almost kissing Flanders, it just seemed wrong
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

Te Flanders part felt kind of unnecessary, I really liked the Homer and carl plot, and the "marriage crisis" scenario was represented better this episode than it has been in the past few years, 4/5
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Thread Information