7 24.14%
  • 2/5

4 13.79%
  • 1/5

1 3.45%

Thread: Rate/Review: South Park "Dances With Smurfs"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate/Review: South Park "Dances With Smurfs"

it's now airing in the west coast I think.

So I thought I should start the thread.

Actually in about 50 minutes but it doesn't matter.

I really liked this one. The skewering of Glenn beck was spot on. I liked how they did it through Cartman, rather than actually making Beck a character. Better than the last two for sure. 4.5/5

Yes, South Park at its very, very best. Lampooning Beck is easy, for sure, but I definitely like whenever people do it.
    blog - music - movies
    Peace of mind. A mellow life. Crunk music. Investing in spy equipment and communist memorabilia. Having dance contests with myself. Placing last in the local triathlon. All of these things, plus a firm belief in the Lord.

Finally a totally good, effective episode of this second half of the season.
    Signature.

Blog Entries

I don't like Glenn Beck. I don't like boring ass episodes of South Park where they pretend to have a message. And I don't like Smurfs.

From the uncomfortable opening, to the unfunny, uninspired "Cartman hates Wendy" jabs, to OHMYGOD THEYRE MAKING FUN OF A PUNDIT NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE.

We've alreadys een Wendy get the better of Cartman. And this wasn't even as satisfying.

I thought it was pretty alright. I don't know if it was "pretending" to have a message per se, because it did have one. It's just that it was very well treaded ground, but that's hard to avoid these days. Still it's nice to see Cartman in this form again. Wendy's still a badass.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Thought it was absolutely hilarious. The parody was pretty much spot-on and even if it's not exactly difficult to tackle Glenn Beck, they still did a great job with it and kept it entertaining. The beginning was a massive "what the fuck" moment for me, but I think that ultimately helped it and it was still funny. Nice conclusion with both Wendy getting the best of Cartman - still love her - and Avatar.

It was really, really funny and spot-on. That's good enough for me.

The Glenn Beck parody wasn't groundbreaking (SNL did the same exact thing last week), but it was well executed. At first, the Dances with Smurfs bit was out-of-place and a little random, but of course Trey has a plan and goes for a double shot by stepping on James Cameron's ego.

The best part had to be the gruesomely hilarious beginning. The fact that some kids, namely Cartman, didn't even give a shit while the kid was being murdered is just priceless.

4/5

Has the mark of Cain Dr. Horrible's Avatar

once i saw that wendy was buying into it and making up her own story i thought to myself "wait did they just spoil the ending to avatar?" and then sure enough....boom goes the dynamite

nicely done south park

the original Sex Pistol

I sometimes watch Glenn Beck just for fun. It's so fucking stupid. So I was really glad to see SP doing a parody of him. And it was really nicely done. I laughed out loud a couple of times. This is definitely a 5/5 from me.

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

I like how the second option is 4/4, so how is that diferent from 5/5? anyway funny episode, the Glenn Beck thing's been done quite a few times, but it was still done very well
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Is that me or Cartman do less spelling mistake than Glenn Beck on his board

and that Cartman consider Smurf so ideal considering they are a communist society (which is weird considering Glenn Beck a right wing nut)

Below average episode for me.
    It Tastes Like Burning

Me: hernia..maybe..maybe not D DEBBS's Avatar

Gawd, I hate Cartman, but I'm glad Wendy chopped him down to size!

For a while, I though Stan was going to fight for her honor-apparently, Wendy fought for herself.

Who was the news reporter kid supposed to be? He was hilarious

4/5

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

I thought it was alright. I found myself getting a little bored of Cartman's antics throughout a lot of the middle though--like many South Park episodes, it got pretty repetitive after awhile. The Smurfs thing was funny enough with the acronyms but again, lost steam towards the middle. I did like Wendy playing along at the end, though, and it also had a great payoff (Avatar). The new kid with the sultry voice was pretty funny. Stan has very little to do in these episodes outside of confront Cartman once or twice and then leave it alone.

Scenes like the first couple of minutes are the kinds of things I just don't like in this show. Overly dark situations with no real element of humor to them always just feel uncomfortable to me. Other examples include all the suicides in season 11, that kid with cancer that Stan tried to help out, and Butters' parents mourning when they thought he died. I think in attempting to amuse by shock, sometimes the show just falls flat and ends up just feeling depressing.

3/5
    My Nintendo webcomic,

I like the dark stuff but it's just that 13 seasons in, it's kinda worn on me by now. I actually think it'd be funnier if played serious rather than over the top serious. It's kind of the same thing they've done over and over, like the over the top suicides you mentioned. It was great the first time but it gets old and you get desensitized to the surprise from it. They've done it enough times it's almost become a running gag to have someone die in an overly violent manner.

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

The new kid was a parody of Casey Kasem, I believe.

I thought the first act, especially the opening, was attrocious. Once I realized where they were going with it, it just became repetitive to sit through, all the way through the end of the second act. Its always nice to see Glenn Beck ripped apart, but since this is South Park, it was more tiring than anything to see them do it. I'm so tired of overly preachy episodes, but thankfully this was a true parody and they didn't actually use Glenn Beck in the episode.

Still, it was just non-stop preaching, and I feel like they threw in the whole Smurf thing as a way to use something random to balance out the preaching.

The third act redeemed the episode though, with Butters "protesting", Wendy getting the best of Cartman once again, Avatar, and Cartman learning the truth about student president and pouting like a baby.

So, despite what I thought was a horrible first half, I'll give it a 3/5 for a solid ending and thankfully not actually involving Glenn Beck.

Blog Entries

Casey Miller's voice alone made me give this a 5.

Butters pissing on Wendy's house was golden (Literally), The stuff with the Smurfs was so random that I loved it and the ginger kid getting killed at the start was one of the most disturbing but hilarious deaths in the shows history.

Also enjoyed Mackey getting pissed at Casey because of Cartman's "Jizz rag hair piece" comment.

Much better than "The 'F' word". Here's hoping the season finale will be even better.

5/5

Who's thirsty for a glass of ULTIMATE POWER?!

I thought this was a really funny episode. Granted I don't think I've ever watched a solid minute of Glenn Beck. Even so, I've always responded to the criticisms that South Park is too topical by noting that the stories are funny in and of themselves even if you're not in on what they're parodying and this was no exception. I even thought the dark humor at the beginning had its moments. The Casey Kasem kid was great. The "vocal chocolate" line or something like that had me cracking up.
    "Did you exchange, a walk on part in a war, for a lead role in a cage?"

Blog Entries

I thought Eric was doing a slam on Rush Limbaugh? either way, his parodying any of those tubby right wing blow hards is a perfect match. Butters did his typical part by being easily mislead.
    Loved the Casey Kasem kid!!
    The resolution to the episodes problem didn't "Wow me" the way I'd liked it too. but I gives it a 4/5 anyways for the fun factor

Meh... decent concept with a poor execution. Beck and Limbaugh are funnier than this episode, albeit it's unintentional, but still.

...?

May have been better if I had any idea who this Glenn Beck guy is. Or if I knew what Dance With Wolves/Avatar was. Still, Cartman's stuff was okay.
    I really didn't like that Casey Miller kid. He got on my nerves. And I agree with TriforceBun about the stuff with the opening.

3/5

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

The middle dragged a little but overall I thought it was great. Wendy turning the tables was hilarious. Good end to a mediocre Season.

Hey, must be time for a "best South Park episode ever" tourney!

Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntled Goat View Post
    Good end to a mediocre Season.
    There's still one more episode in the season left...

Chinese daylight vampire kupomog's Avatar

Yeah I was about to ask... o.O

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

Like the quote about how the president isn't doing anything and is changing everything. 4/5
    Last edited by Green_Peaness; 11-14-2009 at 07:29 PM.
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

Quote Originally Posted by homer5000 View Post
    There's still one more episode in the season left...
    Ha, yes you're right. For some reason I had it in my head that this was episode #14. Disregard.

Blog Entries

Glen Beck parody was excellent. Cartman dressed up as Wendy and killing all the Smurfs is one of my favourite South Park moments. 5/5
    Season 25 Ratings: Homerland - C Treehouse of Horror XXIV - B+ Four Regrettings and a Funeral - C- YOLO - B Labor Pains - B+ The Kid is All Right - C+ Yellow Subterfuge - C- White Christmas Blues - D Steal this Episode - A Married to the Blob - B - Specs and the City - B Diggs - D The Man Who Grew Too Much - D The Winter of His Content - B The War of Art - A You Don't Have to Live Like a Referee - C- Luca$ - D

Season 24 Ratings: Moonshine River - F Treehouse of Horror XXIII - B+ Adventures in Baby-Getting - B+ Gone Abie Gone - D Penny-Wiseguys - C- A Tree Grows in Springfield - C+ The Day the Earth Stood Cool - B+ To Cur with Love - A- Homer Goes to Prep School - D A Test Before Trying - B The Changing of the Guardian - D Love is a Many-Splintered Thing - F- Hardly Kirk-ing - A- Gorgeous Grampa - B Black Eyed, Please - A Dark Knight Court - B- What Animated Women Want - C- Pulpit Friction - C Whiskey Buisness - C- The Fabulous Faker Boy - D- The Saga of Carl - B Dangers on a Train - B+

Season Ranking: 8>4>3>6>2>5>7>9>1>16>15>14>13>12>17>22>10>18>21>19>24>20>25(so far)11>23

Thread Information