Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

do your family or friends make fun of you for watching the simpsons?

I guess younger people don't have this problem but it happens to me all the time and it's starting to get really annoying. whenever I say a show my friends like sucks they always answer "dude you watch a cartoon" and a while ago I mentioned nhc, for some reason, and a friend of my responded "that's depressing".

Blog Entries

Yes they do. For the most part my friends make fun of me, because "The Simpsons are so old and they never really were funny at all" and stuff. It makes me mad because I try getting them to watch, they see ONE, maybe two episodes, and automatically declare it a bad show.

Blog Entries

not really.

i don't think like, anyone's really objected me of watching the show itself while few of my friends did admit that cartoon or the simpsons itself isn't their cup of tea, but none of them really made fun of me.
    calmer than you are

No. It's one of those "Everyone watched it/loved it" shows. It's not exactly in the same category as a saturday morning cartoon show with most I've come across when it comes to reputation.

I don't get made fun of for being a fan. However, when I was heavy in my collecting and I had my lisa plush on display, some of my friends were making fun of me saying I probably try to sex the plush at night. I found it funny though.

Blog Entries

I never get any problems when I say that I think The Simpsons is the best TV show ever. The main thing that always happens which I find very annoying is that wheverer I tell someone new that I like The Simpsons, they'll immediatley reply with: Do you like Family Guy? lol

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

People make fun of my viewpoint that the older episodes were better because it had less focus on Homer and more focus on being somewhat grounded in realisitic storytelling.

But I did almost get into a fist fight about 10 years ago during the Scully era when I told a "Homer's Biggest Fan" that the show was now shit terrible because Homer was now the star of the show and he degenerated into an anoying fatass.

Blog Entries

Being made fun of would be alright. I get shunned by my kin folk for watching that thar devil show!

NHC's fly on the wall treehouse of hutz I, II, & III's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You have to realize that 100% of the people in the world, or in your life, aren't going to all be fans of the show that you love. There will always be people that will act ignorant towards "The Simpsons", but you just have to remember that you aren't alone. The show is a hit and is considered one of the best shows on tv for a reason, and there are millions of people out there who know that. Personally, I have come across some ignorant remarks from a couple of people, but compared to friends and peers who like the show (maybe they aren't hardcore fans, but still) it leaves those couple in the dust. I know what it's like though, and it can get annoying. It's important not to take it too seriously, and especially try not to overly-obsess in public about the show, or else it's going come off extremely nerdy.
    My parents think of the show as just a cartoon, but then when they watch it they laugh, and you can tell they get really into the episode (mostly in classic era), so people do contradict themselves.

My family and girlfriend have issues with me posting on here but I don't think they've ever made fun of me for watching the show, just for my knowledge of the show
    We got no food, we got no jobs, our PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!

Stonecutter

They think it's a waste of time, but no making fun.
    "I shouldn't have eaten that packet of powdered gravy I found in the parking lot..."

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

all my friends remember how great the show was and still watch it occasionally, and most of my friends watch cartoons also so I don't get much flack for it, just mainly for my near encyclopedic knowledge of it...
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    You have to realize that 100% of the people in the world, or in your life, aren't going to all be fans of the show that you love. There will always be people that will act ignorant towards "The Simpsons", but you just have to remember that you aren't alone. The show is a hit and is considered one of the best shows on tv for a reason, and there are millions of people out there who know that. Personally, I have come across some ignorant remarks from a couple of people, but compared to friends and peers who like the show (maybe they aren't hardcore fans, but still) it leaves those couple in the dust. I know what it's like though, and it can get annoying. It's important not to take it too seriously, and especially try not to overly-obsess in public about the show, or else it's going come off extremely nerdy.
    the problem is that they are making for watching a cartoon. most of them haven't seem it but the ones who have still dislike it just because it's a cartoon. even when I'm having a normal conversation with somebody and I make a reference they don't get they assume I saw it on the simpsons. it can be very irritating sometimes.

I don't talk about the show so much in real life but they still can't get over the fact that I am a fan and I post on this message board.

my family doesn't mind, but some of my friends make fun of me a lot yeah. especially that one guy. that bastard.

nah.

i do make fun of other people for watching the simpsons though

Quote Originally Posted by SwineFlu2012 View Post
    People make fun of my viewpoint that the older episodes were better because it had less focus on Homer and more focus on being somewhat grounded in realisitic storytelling.

But I did almost get into a fist fight about 10 years ago during the Scully era when I told a "Homer's Biggest Fan" that the show was now shit terrible because Homer was now the star of the show and he degenerated into an anoying fatass.
    Hm, I've said my two cents on not liking where the show went a few times and I've never really gotten flak for it. But then again I like to keep things minimalist. If it comes up, "yeah, I'm a big fan of it. It's not really what it used to be though.*shrug*", leave it there. If someone wants to know more, I'll just gradually explain but keep things general. If someone gets all crazy or douchebag about it, which hasn't really happened to me yet, then they end up being the ones that look anal. This hasn't happened much though, I don't exactly bring the Simpsons up on a regular basis in real life. It has the charm though of being such an ingrained pop culture phenomenon, that a lot of the time if you play your cards right people can't exactly make fun of you for just being a fan without looking like a total dick no matter what age.

That Homer's biggest fan dude just sounds like a psycho. It's best not to get too sharp around that type, they're sensitive.

Blog Entries

That reminds me, last year in my communications class, each person had to research a hobby or something of the individual's interest, and I was hesitant to do it on the simpsons, but then I saw that one guy was doing family guy, and a couple of people were encouraging me to do it on the simpsons so I started to work on it.
    Anyway, during the week, before the presentations were due, this whole family guy vs. simpsons argument started. Some stated that they think "The Simpsons" isn't funny at all. So, I didn't get defensive, but I stated how the current show is worse than what it used to be, and I said the classic simpsons IMO is better than family guy. Then, this one guy in front of me said that he finds Family Guy funnier than "classic" simpsons. I flat out disagreed, but I wasn't going to argue further. Basically though, half the class was for family guy and half was for simpsons. It was pretty disappointing. I mean, I know it's technically opinion, but the fact of how many college students favor family guy is IMO ridiculous.
    The following week I gave a hell of a presentation though. I gave them facts about the origin of the show, and so forth. I also showed a pretty hefty youtube clip of "The Devil And Homer Simpson". They all laughed hysterically, so I guess all those ignorant people who said the show isn't funny at all pretty much contradicted themselves. The guy who presented family guy showed that clip of Stewie beating up Brian, and people laughed here and there, but the clip I showed got alot more laughs. It was pretty interesting for me to pick a video at random, test it out on an audience, and knock them out in hysterics. It felt like a very successful test screening.

That is sort of interesting. The show made it into my communications class too though not to that extent. It's a very applicable thing for a lot of college courses.

Differences between the two aside, It sounds like they preferred family guy simply because it was newer. Story older than time. Bet you anything most of the class probably doesn't watch much of either show, at any point in their histories.

Got Malk?

There are historically very few shows that have lasted this long; there's a reason for that longevity. The basis of the show is good, they have/had some of the best writers, animators, producers & staff members in the industry, and the voice actors are amazing and have good rapport with each other. I work in a pretty straight job, and when coworkers find out I'm a fan they can sometimes be condescending, but I don't really care. I've decided it's useless to fight it, I just need to embrace my geekdom and be happy that at least I probably laugh a lot more than they do.

Well the show at its foundation, complications and gripes aside, is a great show no doubt but I've come to realize a good part of why it's lasted so long isn't necessarilly its own quality, but maybe just how ingrained in pop culture it's become. It's like a habit of contemporary culture.

Though that itself started somewhere.

Blog Entries

Also, to any Seinfeld fans out there, get a load of this:

As I previously mentioned, I had a communications class that had people stating ignorant remarks towards the simpsons. The next semester however, I registered for interpersonal communications.
    In this class, the topic was "friends with benefits" and the professor played a clip from "The Deal" episode of Seinfeld. Before showing the clip, the professor asked for a show of hands, "Who here has ever watched Seinfeld?" I was the only person out of the 35 classmates to raise their hand. This, I personally found surprising, since it's another very popular show. This guy in the back says and I quote, "I can't stand that show. Those four people are so weird." Me, being a big fan was irritated, but again, I shrugged it off. Still though, I can't believe these people. I mean these are people in NEW YORK! I find it so weird, that back in high school, everyone talked about Seinfeld constantly, and then you go to a class like that, and it's like stepping into another dimension.

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Granto

Got Malk?

I couldn't get into Seinfeld. I find the Simpsons flawed characters, but funny. The folks in Seinfeld just seemed mean a lot of the time.

___________________ Bella Drape 'er's Avatar

If you're friends with the right people, then you can watch the Simpsons without them criticizing you.

However, you can't choose the right sister...who constantly makes fun of me for watching the "boring" show.
    "Don't waste your moments in life, you never know when you'll stop waking up." MARYAM ZAREI
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I'm a writer, I use people for what I write...let the world beware." CATHERINE TRAMELL

the original Sex Pistol

No, cause I don't watch the show that often. They know that I like the show, but I'm not one of those who watches 10 episodes every day. But they make fun of me for watching the Late Late Show.
    Last edited by Fox Executive; 10-31-2009 at 03:16 AM.

farmer's market enthusiast Dylan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nope, i only watch it like once a month... and they're normal people so they understand it's just because there's nothing else to do. But they, like me, have respect for the classic episodes of the show.

Blog Entries

I remember a few years ago when i used to watch The Simspsons almost every evening at 6PM on BBC2, my mum used to say "Why are you watching The Simpsons? It's babyish".

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

This thread is bizarre to me--I've always thought The Simpsons was one of those things that everyone watched, or at least understood that it was a show marketed towards entire families (instead of just kids). I guess younger people may not like it as much since its big years were before their time, but everyone else should have a very good idea of the cultural impact of the show.

So short answer to the question, no.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Irreverent Humor Throughout Bake's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All the time, everyone teases me for watching "such a generic" animated sitcom instead of Fanily Guy

I have a friend who hates The Simpsons and criticizes me for watching it because it's "just a yellow guy bangning his head and everyone laughs". Also, her last name is Homer.

Click here for more :)

pseudo-leftie village of the hammed (1960)'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Most people love the Simpsons but a fe don't such as:
    My Grandad: 'I can see that it's good but it's only for kids'
    One of my best friends: 'It is for 12 year olds'

But others make fun of me coz I know too much about it. But hey who gives a crap.

Thread Information