View Poll Results: How would your rate THOH XX?

Voters
196. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5--The Shinning

66 33.67%
  • 4/5--Starship Poopers

80 40.82%
  • 3/5--I Know What You Did--iddily-Did

33 16.84%
  • 2/5--Survival of the Fattest

8 4.08%
  • 1/5--Married to the Blob

9 4.59%
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: R/R THOH XX

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

R/R THOH XX

promo: http://media.daemonstv.com/wp-conten...-2-550x397.jpg

Episode Synopsis: THE SIMPSONS "Treehouse of Horror XX" Season 21 Episode 4 - In the 20th anniversary of THE SIMPSONS annual “Treehouse of Horror” Halloween special, three chilling tales of Halloween horror unwind. First, Lisa becomes livid with Miss Hoover, and in a series of homages to classic Hitchcock sets out for deadly revenge. Next, Krusty’s latest fast-food sandwich transforms news anchor Kent Brockman into an enraged zombie and twenty-eight days later, cannibal zombies have overrun Springfield. In the final frightening fable, Homer accidentally falls through a trapdoor in Moe’s tavern and impales himself on the pipes of Moe’s microbrewery. Moe serves the barflies a glass of delicious beer flavored with Homer’s blood and Homer, now half-man, half-brewing apparatus, returns for vengeance in the “Treehouse of Horror XX” airing Sunday, Oct. 18 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/ PT) on FOX. (SI-2014) (TV-PG D, V)

Voice Cast: Dan Castellaneta as Homer Simpson; Julie Kavner as Marge Simpson; Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson; Yeardley Smith as Lisa Simpson; Hank Azaria as Moe; Harry Shearer as Skinner; Pamela Haden as Milhouse; Tress MacNeille as Dolph
    Last edited by sung; 10-18-2009 at 04:49 PM.
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

Blog Entries

that was terrible

1/5

I really hope one of the main voice characters goes on a strike soon... refusing to work until the quality of the show improves. This episode was terrifying... and not in a good way.

Wow, that was probably the best THOH in ten years. The first one in forever I've enjoyed the whole way through. 5/5.

What do you think they put in the Bug Juice?
    Bugs?
    No they don't. Come on...shut up.

So I watched the Simpsons for the first time in awhile, it's slightly a relief to hear that even those who have watched it a lot more recently thought this was one of the worst things ever because, well, it was one of the worst things ever.
    blog - music - movies
    Peace of mind. A mellow life. Crunk music. Investing in spy equipment and communist memorabilia. Having dance contests with myself. Placing last in the local triathlon. All of these things, plus a firm belief in the Lord.

Heh I liked it but a bit disapointed 3/5

the last one was a bit too meta

Wishing the 2000s would end CyberpunkSpy's Avatar

Okay.(For a regular episode) Pretty good for a halloween episode.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Agreed, best THOH in ten years. All those 1/5 voters are brain dead zombies.

5/5
    UP AND ATOM!

Blog Entries

I think this is the best THOH in years. That might be a little ballsy to say, but I enjoyed each segment, and laughed quite alot which is good for a change. I'll give a full review later.

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

Wow. That was actually really good. I enjoyed all three segments. The opening sequence was great, and there were some really good jokes all the way through the show. 5/5 Best of the season so far.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

I actually thought it was pretty good, the first 2 segments were really good, wasn't really a fan of the Moe segment. Best joke was probably the "Hey Lisa, want some soup?"

4/5, the last segment kept it from being really good
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    Agreed, best THOH in ten years. All those 1/5 voters are brain dead zombies.

5/5
    You guys are seriously deluded. Please, please come back to reality. I can't even start to begin outlining the problems with this episode. But I'm working on it, I'll post later.

Thumbs Down

I am speechless 1/5:fail:
    Last edited by Nelson_Muntz; 10-18-2009 at 04:46 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by E-I-E-I-Moe View Post
    Wow, that was probably the best THOH in ten years. The first one in forever I've enjoyed the whole way through. 5/5.
    My thoughts exactly...holy shit that was awesome! All three stories kept me actually engaged, the animation was great (especially on the first segment), and..."The Gay Song" had me on the floor (and I'm usually not a lol'er). It wasn't scary per say, but that's about the only criticism I can level against it, because it was certainly suspenseful, funny, and it seemed like they really tried in this one. 15/15, well done writers! Best of the season thus far, I almost feel bad about rating the two that preceded this one so high, because this one is so far and away better.

PS The credits went by really fast, did it say Dan Castlanetta wrote "The Gay Song?"

Double PS--Oh God, Lisa killed Bart again!

A 4/5 for me. The first segment was a solid 5/5, the others were not as good.
    Groin-grabbingly transcendent!!

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

Oh yeah, the gay song was freakin' hilarious!

A surprisingly good episode, by THOH standards. The opening was pretty weak (although the X's in Homer's eyes representing the XX in the title got a laugh out of me, for some reason; I guess I'm corny), but I felt all three segments were entertaining. I only had a vague knowledge/understanding of what each segment was spoofing, but it speaks to their quality that I enjoyed them regardless.

That final segment was easily the best--I loved that it was not only a spoof on the content of musicals, but on their very production. And the songs weren't bad, either.

4/5...mostly because I loved that final segment so damn much.

Quote Originally Posted by jayleno View Post
    You guys are seriously deluded. Please, please come back to reality.
    your opinion

I'm so shocked by the positive reaction to this episode, that I'm going to record the episode on the Fox-West feed and make a Youtube video of clips outlining how bad this episode was. I cannot believe people are comparing it to the earlier THOH episodes.

I don't understand how this could be seen as the worst episode ever given what's come out earlier this season. I was hoping this episode would be okay and I was pleased to see it wasn't awful. Most of it wasn't all that funny but the stories were horror-based and they were relatively engaging. The opening (or was it two openings?) accomplished nothing though.

Segment 1 - The plot seemed really rushed and it was fairly anti-climactic. On the other hand the aura and the animation were pretty good. The blade and Krabappel was legitimate tension. Was there not a Psycho house related to this story at one point?
    Segment 2 - Best of the three IMO. Story was good for a THOH segment and the zombie stuff didn't feel all that repetitive. Nothing amazing but by modern standards I got something out of this.
    Segment 3 - If I had known this would be a musical I would have been concerned. I guess it wasn't that bad and the play backdrop jokes (with the stagehand and the Moe dummy) were probably the funniest parts of the episode.

Best part was the scary credit James L. "Thinking of You Naked" Brooks.

Better than last year's THOH. I haven't seen the one before that so I can't comment on that one. Probably not up to THOH XVI or earlier but I don't expect it to be.

Oh yeah and I'll give it a 3/5. The best of season 21 so far easily.
    Last edited by Nauru-1; 10-18-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

I really enjoyed the first segment. I think it was the best since the Reaper Madness segment of THOH XIV. The rest of them were decent but not spectacular. Having the third segment as a play was an interesting idea and was okay (the Gay Song was the highlight and one of the best musical numbers the show has done in years). I don't think it worked as well as the Macbeth segment of "Four Great Women and a Manicure". The second segment just seemed like an excuse to kill a whole bunch of regular characters, and was disappointing. It would have been a nice touch to do the whole thing in the muted colouring like was done in the promo.

Having the monsters dress up for Halloween was the funniest moment of the episode.

Opening: 3/5
    First segment: 4/5
    Second segment: 3/5
    Third segment: 3/5
    Overall: 3/5. Okay, but it just didn't seem like a Halloween episode... Maybe it's because it was so early this year.
    Last edited by McClure; 10-18-2009 at 05:06 PM.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

You guys are seriously deluded. Please, please come back to reality. I can't even start to begin outlining the problems with this episode. But I'm working on it, I'll post later.
    Well, it looks like according to the majority of love-filled posts YOU'RE the deluded one.

Did I mention 5/5? The Salvador Dali reference was golden! I'd never imagine Simpsons to reference Spellbound! Compare THOH XIX to this episode. It was night and day! Or is that night and... gay?

Edit: and please do make a YouTube video, it would delight me to see you waste your time making a video that would not be viewed by me and would be taken down by Fox due to copyright infringement.

Blog Entries

I loved this THOH episode. The intro was good. The first segment was good in plot execution and humor, but I found Lisa annoying. That segment gets a 4/5. I loved the second one. It was gory, but it was funny and I liked the way it ended. That segment gets a 5/5 from me. The third segment was my favorite. It was hilarious, the songs were good and I thought the whole thing being a show was extremely creative. Overall, THOH 2009 gets a 5/5 from me. Well done, staff!

PS: Lisa killing Bart in the first segment was much better than her knocking him out in last week's episode (IMO). In fact, I just realized that the truth is that Lisa killed Bart, but I still don't care.

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can't believe how many fights are already happening based on people's opinions...

Anyways for me, 5/5, the segments were all pretty good with some really funny jokes. Also had some really creative ideas I thought.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ACT 1:

Definately the best of the three, IMO. The 'animation' was the best out of the three and the whole thing was just actually suspenseful. I loved the 'twist' ending. Trab Pu Kcip's going to have a rough night...

Grade: 4.5/5

ACT 2:

I was looking forward to this the most as I was writing (and still have not completed) a THoH Fanscript called "I am Luncheon" where a similar plot with a set of surviviors trying to stay alive in a zombielike hell, and the "XX" over the eyes was part of my THoH 20's Intro sequence! Anyway, this episode was really good, but it was way to short to be actually GREAT.

On a side note, the refeeding of cows to cows is a practice that's going on and it happens to three or four generations of cows and is what caused the protein/enzyme that caused mad cow disease, which is the same catalyst that casued the zombies of "Zombieland."

Grade: 4/5

ACT 3:

I liked how this was like watching a play instead of being a 'real' story. It was especially funny since Hugh Jackman's stopped his role in a broadway play because someone's cell phone went off, but I digress. This wasn't terrible by any means but it was the weakest of the three and, again, the runtime ruined it.

Grade: 3.5/5

Overall, I'd give this a 4/5 because it was actually decent, but I predict a string of 5/5's because it was better than the last five THoH's.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Banned

Segment 1:

Hilarious. Bart's death was expected though.

5/5

Segment 2:

Also hilarious. Highlight of the episode.

5/5

Segment 3:

The stinker of the episode. All of it, besides the gay song, sucked.

1/5

Overall:

4/5

EDIT: I can't believe we're already fighting. Easily the most controversial episode of the year so far. Don't be a snickerpuss, enjoy the show. That, or go to robot hell!

I'm so shocked by the positive reaction to this episode, that I'm going to record the episode on the Fox-West feed and make a Youtube video of clips outlining how bad this episode was. I cannot believe people are comparing it to the earlier THOH episodes.
    I think one's enjoyment of this episode is definitely contingent upon what, exactly, you expect of a typical THOH. Me, I'm not big into horror or even overlong movie send-ups. So I appreciated that this episode kept the parodies broad in scope. I also don't have any striking need to see the characters maim each other or otherwise meet untimely and unnecessarily violent ends, so even though all three segments were inherently gruesome, I felt that they worked because the focus was more on the humor than on the gore or even the parody itself.

So, yeah. Maybe you can only like this episode if you're a wussy killjoy, like I am.

I really enjoyed it, but the only thing that misfired for me was the gay song, which everyone else seems to love. Ah well, to each their own. The rest of the episode was fine, though - I especially liked the dynamic Hitchcockian direction of the first segment. Segment two was just really solid throughout ("No, Dad! That's the last book on Earth!...Oh, go ahead" - Yeardley's delivery really helped that line). Segment three wasn't quite as stellar as the first two, but it still got me to laugh.

And I'm glad they had the sense to preserve the classic three-act structure for the Treehouse of Horror episodes. Trying to do one eight-minute story, two four-minute stories, and a two-and-a-half-minute story would be absolute murder for the Halloween shows, which are extremely tightly written as it is.

Nineteen-Ninety-Something
    A webcomic about my favorite decade
    and the characters who made it interesting

Super Duper Halloween Episode! I had a lot of fun watching this animated Simpson masterpiece! I wish I could vote 5/5 several times over.
    Its Okay if others don't like this one, that just leaves more love for me to lavish on this holiday treat.

I guess I will give a more detailed opinion of the episode.

The opening was great, I love the mummy waking up then slapping the security guard.
    Opening: 4/5
    The first segment was by far my favorite. I love the black and white, and the whole conversation in the bathroom was hilarious.
    First: 5/5
    The second segment was my least favorite part of the episode. It reminded me too much of the "Dial Z for Zombie" segment of THOH III.
    Second: 3/5
    The third segment was pretty good. I like the idea of it being a play. The comments from the crowd were very funny, and I enjoyed Homer's gay song.
    Third: 4/5

Overall, I decided to give this episode a rating of 4/5

Thread Information