57 34.76%
  • 3/5

44 26.83%
  • 2/5

20 12.20%
  • 1/5

13 7.93%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review "The Great Wife Hope" (LABF16)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Rate & Review "The Great Wife Hope" (LABF16)

MARGE SHOWS HER COMPETITIVE EDGE
    ON "THE SIMPSONS"
    SUNDAY, OCTOBER 11, ON FOX

The men and boys of Springfield become obsessed with Mixed Martial Arts, a violent sport where fighters inflict severe pain on one another. When Marge and her friends stage a protest, the show's promoter embraces the controversy and challenges Marge to a match, promising to shut down the competition if she wins in "The Great Wife Hope" episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, Oct. 11 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SI-2016) (TV-PG D, L, V)
    calmer than you are

Wishing the 2000s would end CyberpunkSpy's Avatar

Okay, 3/5.

Loved how Lisa beat the crap out of Bart at the end.

I thought it was pretty good... some great jokes and a comprehensible storyline, I guess. Kinda tired story, but what isn't tired after 20 years? I'm not really looking forward to the Halloween episode next week though after seeing the Fox preview.

Anyway, 3.5/5

There's a New Mexico? UncieHerb's Avatar

Alot of you came in with low expectations but to me this delivered and I enjoyed it better than the first two.

Conclusion (Bart v Lisa) was awesome, similiar to the end of Rocky III which saw Balboa take on Apollo privately.

4/5.

My Season 21 Ratings (Out of 5 Stars):

Homer The Wopper - ***
    Bart Gets a Z - ***
    TOH XX - ****

Pretty good

I'd give it 3,5/5

The only weak point was Marge Training that pretty much drag on

Awful episode. Can't say there was any character I actually found likeable in this one and I didn't laugh once. Worst of the season so far. I was going to say I liked the ending but then they ruined it by cutting back to the freeze out. 1/5 About the only compliment I can give this one is that the plot was developed early and didn't change much. That isn't much if the content doesn't work though.

Blog Entries

What a shame. I weas really enjoying this episode. I thought the plot was executed well throughout. I also laughed a whole lot at a bunch of clever, very funny jokes. However, I didn't like the Bart/Lisa ending. I just thought it was too OOC/random. 3/5

Edit: On the night that this episode aired, I turned off my TV as soon as the credits showed up, so I missed the part where Lisa actually knocked out Bart. When I saw what I missed a few days later, my hatred twoards the ending increased.
    Last edited by D'ohmer; 12-23-2009 at 06:24 PM.

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought it was great, 5/5. Funny, I loved the plot. The end to act 1 was very abrupt, another reason I wish they would go back to 3 acts.

And the promo I saw for the new THOH next week looked amazing

4/5. Really good episode. Homer seemed to be a bit more caring in this one than he usually is. Best episode of the season so far.
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

anyone know who the writer/director was?

carolyn omine was the writer.

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

thought the ending was great and it ws pretty entertaining episode, I didn't really like the Joe Biden line, but still a good enough episode, 4/5
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Junior Camper

Wow. Didn't expect to enjoy this one as much as I did. What seemed like a disaster of a Marge episode was consistently funny and entertaining. We also got a lot of the towns people in this, which set up lots of quick jokes.

Stuff, i didn't like:
    "Maybe I'll get shot by a punk trying to join a gang" or whatever was kind of too dark for my liking.

I thought the owner of the Ultimate Punch Championship was pretty bad. Obviously he's the bad guy, but I thought they made him a little too annoying, when they could of went with someone more like the Rich Texan- or just used him.

Things I liked a lot:
    The Skinner/Martin in the punching bag joke.
    The Bart/lisa ending.
    Almost all of the training segments.
    The Otto cameo.

All in all, 4 out of 5. I really enjoyed it. So far, best of the season. The season's getting better episode by episode.

Also, great ending.

This was a surprisingly good--no, great--episode. It flowed nicely, had a singular focus, and had a distinctly different vibe from the other episodes of its type (those "Marge Goes on a Pointless Crusade" shows). I think my enjoyment of the episode is attributable to its approach: sure, it started out with Marge going on a self-righteous campaign to stop the dreaded Violence and Corruption of the Children, but the follow-through was excellent.

First off, this episode had some excellent--albeit, some of them were inevitable--gags. Marge having to sift through tens of thousands of sites before finding her bowling idea; the other women talking about her right after she left their presence; Carl meeting Tatum via Dr. Hibbert at a party thrown by Bleeding Gums Murphy; Lisa going against her feminist instincts and asking Homer to take charge of his woman. I honestly found myself laughing out loud at all these moments, which is more than can be said for my response to the previous two episodes.

The other great thing about this episode was how the entire family united to help Marge. They all wanted to see her succeed (I loved that Homer and Bart were most immediately concerned with Marge's safety after she was challenged to the fight--they weren't pissed off because she was ruining this fun thing), and were willing to help her in any way they could. I was surprised by how earnest a lot of the family scenes were--Lisa telling Marge she didn't have to fight, everyone in the locker room taping her wrists, Bart jumping into the ring to help her. The most impressive thing, to me, was that Marge initially went on her crusade because she saw Bart being negatively influenced by the fighting--she wanted to protect him--and that theme came around full-circle when she pounced on that sleazeball promoter after he tried to beat up her son.

So I guess what I enjoyed most about this episode, then, was that it focused on the family more than it did the Social/Pop Culture Issue. Yeah, there were a lot of funny observations about sexism and violence and whatnot, but they weren't the episode's bread and butter. This one had a lot of substance to it, which isn't something you can say about many episodes of this era--particularly the Marge ones.

Anyway, I'm tempted to give this one a perfect score, but I know that part of my enjoyment is based purely in the novelty of this episode. But I will give it a solid 4/5, no question.

i don't know what it was, but i absolutely loved this episode! characters were spot on, and i loved the bart/lisa ending. i loved the "kill" "skill" and "ill" joke. also, the billboard: "the leftorium - next right" caught me off guard and i laughed hard. marge was great throughout...the only joke that fell flat with me was "i was having car trooooubles"...but overall, great episode. first time i've given a 5/5 to a new episode in a while.

If it weren't for laws keeping me from marrying this episode then I'd be sooo hitched!
    The Great Wife Hope gave me the energy to vote 5/5 for the thousandth time!
    Bulla Bulla! - Bulla bulla!

1,000th post!

This episode was rather average. Nothing memorable, but not boring and awful. But I didn't really like the idea of Marge in a fight. Yes, she's the stereotypical mother who thinks MMA is bad, and the start of the episode felt similar to Itchy & Scratchy & Marge, but I just didn't enjoy this episode as much as the first two episodes this season.

3/5, or a C+

Quote Originally Posted by thardin View Post
    carolyn omine was the writer.
    Yes, and Matthew Faughnan was the director (thanks Wikipedia).
    Season Rankings : 7 > 5 > 6 > 8 > 4 > 9 > 3 > 2 > 10 > 15 > 16 > 1 > 11 > 14 > 12 > 20 > 18 > 17 > 19 > 13.

Wishing the 2000s would end CyberpunkSpy's Avatar

"You've got to take control of your woman"-Lisa Simpson

Wow. That sounds like a conservative Lisa not the liberal one.

Junior Camper

Oh I forgot to mention. Wasn't that a re-used couch gag? Only the third episode of the season and we get a re run couch gag? Whaaattt?

Quote Originally Posted by CyberpunkSpy View Post
    "You've got to take control of your woman"-Lisa Simpson

Wow. That sounds like a conservative Lisa not the liberal one.
    Heh, I thought that line was pretty funny. Though the jury's still out on whether or not Lisa was at her best in this episode; I thought her unexplained, random malaise in the car when Marge was picking her up from school was sort of odd. I like me some jaded Lisa every once in a while, but that was inexplicable and sort of depressing.

Definately the best ep of the season so far. The only part I didn't like is when homer asked carl if he knew drederick tatum. Because homer already knows him.

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Léo Pard View Post
    Yes, and Matthew Faughnan was the director (thanks Wikipedia).
    is he new to the show?

By far the best episode in the last couple of seasons. I absolutely was in love with it! Hilarious lines in this episode! Great Homer moments (and there haven't been many lately). I loved the line by Homer, "She knew my one weakness: that I'm weak!" This is the only Marge performance that I've liked since like season 9. The only thing I didn't like was the scene where marge was dancing with streamers. The voice and animation was just weird in that part. Loved the Bart and Lisa ending! I agree with whoever said that Homer was more likable in this episode than he has been in a while. Homer dressed as marge was really funny! Whoever said they didn't like the Joe Biden joke seriously can not take liberal-criticism at all. In my opinion this was the best episode in a long, long time. A whole-hearted 5/5 from me!
    "This just in, Powersauce is amazing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bea O Problem View Post
    is he new to the show?
    He apparently won an Emmy for his work on "Three Gays of the Condo." Click.

this episode proves to me that i shouldn't judge an episode based on the written plot description. i thought this episode would be terrible, to be honest. as it brought up subjects as marge fighting, and a possibly bad homer characterization. but, i was pleasently surprised with this episode minus a few bad jokes.

so i thought the characterizations were good and it was actually entertaining without being really dull and bland. my problems with this episode was tied into some jokes that were pretty bad to me which were the continuation of an originally solid burns joke of him wrestling marge, the homer dressing as marge joke, and the cheap gag of marge fighting a cold was pretty unneccessary. the thought of marge fighting really sounds bad on paper, but wasn't too bad with the flow of the story. actually some good satire with ufc and how some men react to the fights and how brutal the fights can be. it was nice to see some acts of homer caring even thought it wasn't taken to the full effect that would've been implemented in the classic era, but some appearances of that action were nice to see. some bart-homer moments were pretty funny and kind of reminded me of "bart the daredevil" and the schoolyard scene was alright, too.

the resolution to the story was familiarly predictable but i imagine that has to be getting to be tough with how the story played out for the writers after twenty seasons. also, really enjoyed the great bart-lisa ending, that was fun.

voted 5/5 in the poll, so best of the season so far for me.

p.s. treehouse of horror looks great for next week, really looking forward to the hitchock parodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bea O Problem View Post
    is he new to the show?
    No, he has directed Treehouse of Horror XVII (with David Silverman), Stop or My Dog Will Shoot and Dangerous Curves.

I really liked this episode. A lot of moments that had me laughing. The plot wasn't boring and a lot of characters got some face time. The episode had a nice "flow" to it. 4/5.
    Also the promo I saw for THOH XX looked awesome. I'm expecting it to be one of the best Tree House of Horrors seeing as how its the big 20 milestone.

This episode caught me a bit off guard. As of late I havent seen an episode that I really liked from beginning to end.

I think the best jokes were in the opening credits, but still overall it was a great episode.

5/5

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Pretty solid episode, actually, and I definitely enjoyed myself. Still have major problems with the four act structure, though - the pacing was kind of weird. Really short, into it beginnings (which IS something that I love seeing, don't get me wrong. They've been pretty good about their starts so far this season. Stories feel a little more full) and then a very extended third act and quick end just felt... kind of weird. Well, not so much the quick end, maybe, 'cause I'm getting used to that, but the really clipped beginning threw me off.

So here the beginning was a little bit of an awkward start (I can't remember if the head of the UPKCC actually mentioned a motivation for challenging Marge at any point, and that he would just leap into that decision and then we don't really get any other scenes of him... I don't know. I know that this is Marge's story, but it felt strange that we got virtually nothing of the other guy and we only saw the one side. Even a short scene with the other dude... But I guess I could have missed it; I had something else distracting me during the episode, might have made it feel a little more even), but a very nicely fleshed out progression. I like that we saw as many training pieces as we did with Marge, because it really did help sell the whole ending. Less time on the beginning allowed for more time on the ending which was a pleasant change of pace - and I think I prefer that more, actually, because I come away from the episode with a better impression based on what I had just watched rather than stuff from the beginning - but it would be nicer to see episodes that had both fleshed-out starts and ends.

But no, yeah. The episode was actually pretty funny and I enjoyed watching it. Marge was fantastic in this one and that's always something very nice to see. She was handled perfectly and it makes sense that she only was really able to get into the fight once her child was threatened - that compared with the relative wimpiness of the guy ensured that Marge kicking ass at the end didn't come out of nowhere. It was as realistic as it was probably going to be. That and seeing bits of Marge's personal life was great.

But as has been said upthead - I really loved this episode for giving a focus to the family. Their unity was wonderful in this and I loved the way they all actually came together, regardless of what the consequences might have been for the sport, but actually caring about their matriarchal figure was great. The episode felt a lot more natural as a result, like these characters actually care about one another.

Plus it was pretty funny; actually laughed a few times. Solid ep. Need to rewatch it but I doubt my opinion will change that much - it was pretty good. Nothing outstanding or anything, but good.

Thread Information