Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated Jokes

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneFamous View Post
    Fourthing or whatever Jebus and Spiderpig.

The fact that Groening always points out the most stupid, forgettable jokes as his favorites just further tells me that he is really out of touch with his own creation, and never had much of a hand in it's successs in the first place.
    what quotes should he point out then? "ah yes i highly enjoy this carlos castaneda reference in treehouse of horror 5 "

Quote Originally Posted by Cartoonnetwork View Post
    The "Jebus" joke in the movie was actually funnier in the spanish version IMO (one of the few jokes I prefer in the translation) . In Spain it's very common to refer to young Jesus as "el niño Jesús" . "Bienaventurado sea el niño Jesús" means "Blessed (Young)Jesus". In the spanish version Homer confuses Jesus and Joseph when he says "Bienaventurado sea el niño JOSÉ".
    One of my favorite Spanish jokes is the spanish language version of the "I drink plenty of...malk?" the spanish version is "loche" I don't know why that cracks me up, it's just one of those naturally funny words to me.
    "Did you exchange, a walk on part in a war, for a lead role in a cage?"

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

I think the epidermis thing didn't originate in The Simpsons, so it's as much a joke as something like "stop hitting yourself". If it did actually originate in The Simpsons, I think the follow-up line ("epidermis means your hair") is the central gag. Either way, not really a gag I feel is rated all that highly among fans.

I was never really crazy about "I call the big one 'Bitey'". Although I have always really liked "He was a zombie?"
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Blog Entries

yeah, epidermis is a kid thing that found its way into the simpsons. same with jingle bells, batman smells

I kinda meant everything from that point till the act break, the punch line being "I said Haw Haw!" I think it's one of the worst act breaks in the classic era.

Most of the Ralph Wiggum jokes.

There's a New Mexico? UncieHerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
    i respectfully disagree.
    it was funny when you were younger.. i remember being in tears over it at the time.

gotta agree with ralph btw, cant get any more overrated as a character to be fair.

FAIL btw to whoever said boo-urns was overrated.

My Season 21 Ratings (Out of 5 Stars):

Homer The Wopper - ***
    Bart Gets a Z - ***
    TOH XX - ****

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cash Kerouac View Post
    One of my favorite Spanish jokes is the spanish language version of the "I drink plenty of...malk?" the spanish version is "loche" I don't know why that cracks me up, it's just one of those naturally funny words to me.
    "Malk" wasn't translated in the Spanish version but in the Latin American. I agree that "lache" or "loche" was great.

About the thread, the most overrated joke has to be Jebus, and I have never been very fond of "I call the big one Bitey" too.
    Season 21 ratings (A.K.A. Qwert's Generic Sig Vol. II)

Homer The Whopper 7/10 Bart Gets A 'Z' 8.5/10 The Great Wife Hope 9/10 Treehouse Of Horror XX 9.17/10
    The Devil Wears Nada 9.5/10 Pranks And Greens 6.5/10 Rednecks And Broomsticks 7.5/10 Oh Brother, Where Bart Thou? 8.5/10
    Thursdays With Abie 5.5/10 Once Upon A Time In Springfield 10/10 Million Dollar Maybe 4.5/10 Boy Meets Curl 6/10
    The Color Yellow 9/10 Postcards From The Wedge 9.5/10

How is Jebus overrated if everybody in this thread seems to hate it?

As for the thread I would say "Trying is the first step towards failure". It's great, but not that great. Boo-urs also never got a huge laugh out of me.

NHC's fly on the wall lionelhutz123's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheForbiddenDonut View Post
    I kinda meant everything from that point till the act break, the punch line being "I said Haw Haw!" I think it's one of the worst act breaks in the classic era.
    What? I laugh every time. It's the perfect tagged line to the end of a scene. I mean, the act ends on a pretty dramatic note as it was, and Nelson with his last minute zing is like icing on the cake.

I dunno, I've never found it remotely funny. Maybe it's Nelson's conscious acknowledgement of his catchphrase or maybe it just seems too desperate for a laugh right at a crucial dramatic moment. Either way it just doesn't work for me.

A Fridge Too Far The Krusty Burglar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
    i respectfully disagree.
    That scene is classic. Falling in by parachute you hear the low screaming getting louder and louder until he falls into the giant burger. Than Homer doesn't realize its an act and beats up the foreign midget dressed in the krusty burglar thing. Haha. That episode is my favorite episode. I guess cause Homer and Krusty are my favorite characters.
    Dr. Hibbert: Homer, I'm afraid you'll have to undergo a coronary bypass operation.
    Homer: Say it in English, Doc.
    Dr. Hibbert: You're going to need open-heart surgery.
    Homer: Spare me your medical mumbo-jumbo.
    Dr. Hibbert: We're going to cut you open and tinker with your ticker.
    Homer: Could you dumb it down a shade?

QVIT CHANGING THE SUBJECT! VERE IS UTER?! WE JUST WANT CLOSURE!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Alone View Post
    it's really popular amongst casual fans (i.e. not us)

It has it's own T-shirt line:

I know that I usually come into negative threads like this and point out the ones I like, so I will do that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    potassium benzoate
    Aw, wha? I love that. I don't see how it's overrated though, I never hear it quoted or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    -Boo-urns

-Hello, Mr. Johnson

-Homie the Clown's Hamburglar scene
    Boo-Urns is pretty funny, I'd agree overrated on that one though.

I don't remember Mr Johnson, but I think it's safe to assume you meant Mr, Thompson from Cape Feare. If so, I'd like to say I've always hated bits where someone's trying to get someone else to say something correctly (it's usually a foreigner or something mispronouncing something), but that was played well I thought. It doesn't result in screaming back and forth like most of those runs, I like the fade into frustration and the way the guys are posed with the cigarettes and all, and it doesn't go too long.

I love the Krusty Burglar beating because of how brutally realistic it is, it's not wacky or has funny sound effects or anything. Just dead serious, then the pan over the children's faces is great. Brutal violence is just so much funnier to me. I guess it's just 'cuz I have kind of a darker sense of humor, but the first time I watched I think I peed a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Doom View Post
    Every joke from Last Exit
    Come now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Turtles!! View Post
    I call the big one Bitey.

Never found that line overly funny
    This was pretty funny. Not one of the best lines of all time, but pretty funny. I think it's only overrated by Groening. I don't know many other people creaming over it.

Oh yeah I also don't think the 'your epidermis is showing' from Bart of Darkness is very funny either.
    I think that run was pretty funny and not very acknowledged too. It's appropriately praised in my opinion. I think the funniest part is Nelson just explaining the joke, takes me back to childhood.

"Your weenis(sp) is showing teehee!"

As for overrated, I think the rake gag's a given. It was only popular at the time because the method wasn't used too often, as it consistently is now in the show and on Family Guy.

I dunno, I've never found it remotely funny. Maybe it's Nelson's conscious acknowledgement of his catchphrase or maybe it just seems too desperate for a laugh right at a crucial dramatic moment. Either way it just doesn't work for me.
    I agree.

Spiderpig. I would love to have someone attempt to explain to me how it is remotely funny.
    "She's not my special lady, she's my fucking lady friend. I'm just helping her conceive, man."

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Probably because it was the most heavilly promoted joke from the movie.

To be fair, I don't think anyone actually truly laughs at it, but either finds it "cute", or quotes it because the advertisements told them to.

It was kinda funny in the preview and got a pretty good response, so they played the hell out of it in the tv spots and it just caught on for people I guess. Like a commercial with a catchy (or annoying) jingle, it gets stuck in your head and it's on lots of other people's minds, so you talk about it and quote it and shit, ipso facto- spiderpig popularity.

Blog Entries

I still laugh when I watch the movie at Spider Pig. I find think Homer singing it is pretty humorous.
    Last edited by D'ohmer; 10-09-2009 at 05:47 PM.
    You can do anything if you put your mind to it.

Everything happens for a reason.

Just be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Don't worry about the world ending today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

Blog Entries

I actually find the Spiderpig joke mildly funny. It's not something really hilarious but it never fails at making me chuckle.

The overexposure of the singing about Spiderpig before the film was released killed the joke for me.

However, the other stuff with Homer and the pig, such as watching TV, gave me a good laugh
    We got no food, we got no jobs, our PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!

Mountain Dew or Crab Juice? khlavkalash's Avatar

The spiderpig is THE most overrated joke there is. Casual fans love it to bits.

Why does everyone LOVE the spiderpig song. I just don't see what's so funny about it? It's just Homer ripping off the theme from spiderman, it's nothing clever.

And Ralph is overated, like the easter egg gag in Last of the Red Hat Mambas, awful joke. It's just a small piece of animation on a 10 second cycle.

And as for overated seasons, you're all gonna hate me for this; but i think season 4 is the most overated season. I'm not saying I dislike it, it's just loads of people say it's their favourite, but nothing is as solid as in the previous seasons or the 4 seasons after it, the jokes aren't as solid and are alot cheaper... it's a good season, but my least favourite out of the classic era. I also think the pacing is bad in season 4.

PLEASE!
    Last edited by khlavkalash; 10-10-2009 at 03:50 AM.
    Best Showrunner Duo: Oakley and Weinstein
    _____
    Best Writer: John Swartzwelder
    _____
    Best Gueststar: Phil Hartman
    _____
    Best Episode: Lisa's Substitute

A Fridge Too Far The Krusty Burglar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Granto View Post
    The overexposure of the singing about Spiderpig before the film was released killed the joke for me.

However, the other stuff with Homer and the pig, such as watching TV, gave me a good laugh
    Haha, yo, the part with Homer and Bart eating and he says "of course I do boy. what kinda father would I be if i didnt care about A PIG WEARING A HAT!" that shit is great.

Junior Camper

spiderpig is funny for the same reason that this is funny:

they're in the same vein, ridiculous because none of it rhymes or scans in any way... but it's nevertheless catchy and fun to sing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by khlavkalash View Post
    The spiderpig is THE most overrated joke there is.
    Ok, I kind of have to admit that. As much as I love Spider-Pig, I do feel that everyone loves him more than he can be loved. I mean, I found it pretty funny when seeing the trailers and watching the film, and still find it funny. I did find it annoying though when I went to the Cinema and there were some kids singing along to Spider-Pig lol. It was funny aswell though, a bit off topic, but when the cops starting kissing eachother, the same kids went "Eh? what?" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyuio View Post
    I actually find the Spiderpig joke mildly funny. It's not something really hilarious but it never fails at making me chuckle.
    I don't...

I am suprised how many people find it funny,even here in Croatia...

Simmer Down There, Sparky Skylark Jones's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The thing that makes Spider-Pig overrated, to me, is back before the movie was out, there were ads, and there were people singing the song, as Homer was singing to. It made me cringe.

There were some good parts with him and Spider Pig/Harry Plopper, but the song isn't funny at all IMO

I actually have to agree that the spiderpig song is not funny. However, I don't mind the character. As far as Jebus goes, I like it.

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

Quote Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
    I'd also like to add any character voiced by Hank Azaria that supposed to be hip, and just spouts off lame hip hop lines. Like, "yo yo yo, text message in the house."
    Wait, who is rating these generic characters highly? Maybe you need to look up "overrated".

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneFamous View Post
    The fact that Groening always points out the most stupid, forgettable jokes as his favorites just further tells me that he is really out of touch with his own creation, and never had much of a hand in it's successs in the first place.
    What about this line, which Groening has claimed to be his favourite in many interviews:
    "Operator, get me the number for 911!"

...actually that probably is overrated since it's one of those that is on countless T-shirts, posters and other media, along with "If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Alone View Post
    A little thing called The Real World. It's one of those lines that gets quoted a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by khlavkalash View Post
    Why does everyone LOVE the spiderpig song. I just don't see what's so funny about it? It's just Homer ripping off the theme from spiderman, it's nothing clever.
    That's pretty much the point of the joke, but never mind. The operatic version is hilarious, which they released as a single. It got into the top 20 in the UK!
    Simpson Crazy
    Now with iGoogle gadgets! Try Quote of the Day and Word of the Day

my other sites: Toon images · Song Lyrics · Website tutorials

Thread Information