View Poll Results: How would you rate Da Doggone Daddy-Daughter Dinner Dance?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: (squeaky Cleveland laugh)

0 0%
  • 4/5: It was tight, ya'll!

3 10.00%
  • 3/5: And boom goes the dynamite.

6 20.00%
  • 2/5: No, No, No, No, NO!

13 43.33%
  • 1/5: You son of a bitch!

8 26.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    i wonder if this will fit the

R&R The Cleveland Show: Da Doggone Daddy-Daughter Dinner Dance

The Cleveland Show's second full episodes is airing now, and we'll see if it's a little bit better than next week.

Cleveland asks his new step-daughter Roberta to the school’s father/daughter dance. The evening is going smoothly until Cleveland has a mishap with the family pet and endangers his chances of being accepted by his new kids.

R&R here!

EDIT: Ah, damn, I forgot to include the poll numbers. Everyone knows the drill though right? The top is 5/5, the bottom is 1/5. Mod intervention here, please?
    Last edited by Tyler; 10-04-2009 at 04:54 PM.

Last week: 2/10
    This week: 3/10

I think that says it all about my opinion of the episode. It was a mess, and the world is a lesser place for its existence. But I smiled like twice.

Funny thing they kept the black man face in the subtitle

but...kind of a mess didn't laugh once, its so bland I have an hard time to give a rating

And here comes the inevitable hate fest...

I laughed at the "sweat spots under my breasts" and the kid pulling his pants down to take a leak, but other than that it was pretty forgettable.

King of the Rock Bottom The Sovereign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"It's Family Guy with an afro!!"

holy shit....

Irreverent Humor Throughout Bake's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Terrible

Blog Entries

a....2/5, i guess

um.......just kinda really boring and cliche

the original Sex Pistol

Sucked, of course. But what I can't believe is that I've watched this before I watched Bart Gets a 'Z'. What a shame. But I'd say 2/5 for Cleveland.

4/5

That was better then last week's. 2/5

gimme a break dad Sloppy Jimbo XOX's Avatar

let's be honest with ourselves

does that poll really need a 5/5 option
    signature

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

I thought it was a little worse than last week's. I may have chuckled about three times, the cutaways were mostly atrocious, and the plot was verrrrry cliche. Also, what's with MacFarlane shows and killing dogs?

2/5 D
    My Nintendo webcomic,

It's okay. Just nothing special. We might be in for a real Family Guy clone (despite claims of American Dad being the same), but if it'll show some improvements over the original show, I'll give it a chance.

The only joke I didn't like was Cleveland's Oscar win (impersonating who I'm assuming was Hallie Berry). See, those kinds of references work in Family Guy, because of their randomly-generated pop culture references, centered on Peter's constant referral and sometimes confusion between various movies, celebs, TV shows, etc. It's not going to work here, especially if centered on a character like Cleveland.

The absolute best gag was the talking toaster. That voice never fails.

3.0/5

Blog Entries

Much better than the pilot. It wasn't filled with laugh out loud moments, but I didn't mind. I still thought it was a neat little story.

Seeing Cleveland taking charge just made me think of "The Cleveland-Loretta Quagmire". It seems that when Cleveland tries to show any sign of having a spine, he just goes nuts.

Cleveland Jr.'s subplot was the best thing about the episode, that and Rallo was pretty funny throughout.

Best line of the episode was "You have brought a cancer to our family". Second place goes to everything the toaster said. Followed by "Cleveland, don't smack her"

The only funny cutaway was the Kurt Cobain thing.

I'm giving this episode a 2.5
    Such majestic movement.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Semaj View Post
    It's okay. Just nothing special. We might be in for a real Family Guy clone (despite claims of American Dad being the same), but if it'll show some improvements over the original show, I'll give it a chance.

The only joke I didn't like was Cleveland's Oscar win (impersonating who I'm assuming was Hallie Berry). See, those kinds of references work in Family Guy, because of their randomly-generated pop culture references, centered on Peter's constant referral and sometimes confusion between various movies, celebs, TV shows, etc. It's not going to work here, especially if centered on a character like Cleveland.

The absolute best gag was the talking toaster. That voice never fails.

3.0/5

it's not a family guy clone, it's "Family Guy with an afro!"

and that Cobain cutaway was pretty awful and you could see it coming from a mile away

Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Jimbo IV.5 View Post
    let's be honest with ourselves

does that poll really need a 5/5 option
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo View Post
    4/5
    Never know.

I was pretty surprised at the "It's Family Guy with an afro!" promo too. Man, at least its honest. It almost makes you wonder if he really did make this show just to see if he could get away with it. I don't know.

I guess it was a tiny bit better but I think I'm gonna be tuning out of this one, check a few episodes later to see where it's gone. I think Cleveland himself is coming all his own surprisingly alright. Rollo though may very well be the most gimmicky cartoon character I've ever seen. The entirety of the Boondocks(which I like still) can't touch this character as he is at the moment.
    Last edited by Kiyosuki; 10-05-2009 at 06:29 PM.

And the hate resumes.

The Cleveland Show essentially is a black FG and Cleveland humorously put it out there "Family Guy with an Afro". I forgive them for their strong FG influence and will allow the show time to grow.

This episode had me laughing the whole time. The No-Door Stall gag, The Kurt Cobain cutaway (huge Cobain fan and this joke was so effed up, but the Courtney farce just made me laugh my ass off), the Toaster cut-away, and Cleveland's Video to Roberta were all pure comic gold,, imo.

I don't know if my sense of humor is too low-brow or w/e but this just had me rolling.

On another note, nobody here liked the characterization of Cleveland and Rallo in this episode? It painted Cleveland as a man whose just trying to be a good father to his Children (Step-Children) despite their initial conflict and someone who is willing to compensate for their sake. Cleveland isn't as one-dimensional as they seemed to portray him a lot on FG. Rallo's character is also beginning to take form.

4/5 for me.

I am your big brother

Quote Originally Posted by MunkeyBoxx View Post
    On another note, nobody here liked the characterization of Cleveland and Rallo in this episode?
    It was alright, until he inexplicably turned into a hard-ass for lulz (in vain, I might add). I don't hate his character by any means, but he is rather bland by default, and shit like him talking angrily through gritted teeth for nearly a whole minute in the pilot falls flat. I simply have no idea who he is yet.

Here's a question for you all: would you rather have a Cleveland with no specific characterization that was genuinely humorous, or a Cleveland with great depth that wasn't funny in the slightest? The writers apparently thought option C was the way to go: the worst of option A and option B.

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

2/5, pretty mediocre. The plot was fine, it seems like they're going for a more down-to-earth feel than FG/AD, but it's not really working without enough funny.

It really is Family Guy with an afro. The cutaways are the exact same thing as Family Guy: random jokes shoehorned awkwardly into the episode.

"This is more embarrassing than that time something happened that, actually, wasn't embarrassing at all."

I liked the pilot on second viewing, so who knows maybe I'll like this episode in a few month's time (if I bother watching it again). I'll probably watch one more episode then give up. I wish Sit Down Shut Up was more popular, it's so much better than this show.
    Simpson Crazy
    Now with iGoogle gadgets! Try Quote of the Day and Word of the Day

my other sites: Toon images · Song Lyrics · Website tutorials

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks Cleveland's character is pretty inconsistent. I can barely get a grip on his personality. One moment he's trying to be a good step-father, and the next, he's tempted to hit his step-daughter. He was the dull one in Family Guy, so it seems that they've taken more liberties with his character, but now he just feels particularly nebulous.

I will say that Rallo has gotten a little better since the pilot. In the first episode, pretty much every one of his lines could've been spoken by Stewie. At least this time around, he had a little more of his own character.

Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntled Goat View Post
    2/5, pretty mediocre. The plot was fine, it seems like they're going for a more down-to-earth feel than FG/AD, but it's not really working without enough funny.
    Maybe the idea is that the show would help the viewers make the transition between simpsons and family guy episodes

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    I will say that Rallo has gotten a little better since the pilot. In the first episode, pretty much every one of his lines could've been spoken by Stewie. At least this time around, he had a little more of his own character.
    With a little luck, Rallo might turn out better than Stewie has been in a long while.

I think I'm just going to give up on the MacFarlane shows altogether. All three of them share the same comic tone, which is just something I find largely irritating. It's hard to pinpoint EXACTLY what it is, but stuff like "Since there's no sign of sexual abuse, I'll take it with me," "Resist the urge to smack her," and the hillbillies eating the dog all sort of fall under what I mean. It's always this negative, mean-spirited, often sexually-charged or "shocking" dialogue that just gives the atmosphere this air of unwelcoming. It's weird, too, since South Park can be a lot grosser, but I still connect and laugh with those characters far more often than in the MacFarlane shows. Outside of the odd strong gag, the presentation is just flat and unfunny to me, and the look doesn't help either.

This is sort of why I can't say any American Dad episode is particularly great, because no matter how solid the stories get (and they've done a nice job with those), the humor and visual style are always this flat, unappealing, web of negativity to me.

I've watched both episodes so far and while it's nice to see them trying to have plots and even some heart, they're still coming up a bit short. I don't find the new characters particularly interesting, likeable or funny either so it's difficult to make a connection with them or feel entertained by them; expanding on Cleveland's character hasn't made him any more interesting for me either. The were some decent jokes in the pilot and a couple of decent ones in this one too, but on the whole the humour doesn't feel all that fresh.

I'll probably watch another episode or two though, I have to admit from the start I expected it to be terrible so that probably didn't help. If I still feel the same way after a couple more episodes, then I guess it's not for me.
    "How could this have happened?
    We started out like Romeo & Juliet but it ended up in tragedy..."
    - Milhouse Van Houten

I do feel like it's trying to be more emotive a bit too. It's just that sort of thing being done genuinly is such a polar contrast to the usual McFarlane brand of super sardonic, non sequitur humor that you can almost feel that conflict in the show itself. Like it's not sure what it wants to be. I understand it's still early, I'm just saying it's there I think.

Blog Entries

Funniest thing about it was the show title.. 2/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    I think I'm just going to give up on the MacFarlane shows altogether. All three of them share the same comic tone, which is just something I find largely irritating. It's hard to pinpoint EXACTLY what it is, but stuff like "Since there's no sign of sexual abuse, I'll take it with me," "Resist the urge to smack her," and the hillbillies eating the dog all sort of fall under what I mean. It's always this negative, mean-spirited, often sexually-charged or "shocking" dialogue that just gives the atmosphere this air of unwelcoming. It's weird, too, since South Park can be a lot grosser, but I still connect and laugh with those characters far more often than in the MacFarlane shows. Outside of the odd strong gag, the presentation is just flat and unfunny to me, and the look doesn't help either.

This is sort of why I can't say any American Dad episode is particularly great, because no matter how solid the stories get (and they've done a nice job with those), the humor and visual style are always this flat, unappealing, web of negativity to me.
    You've never watched American Dad past the first few episodes have you?

I generally agree with everyone's sentimnents here. It was certainly better than last week. "You have brought a cancer to our family", "Don't smack her", the toaster were all decent gags. Too bad I didn't care at all about the story or even the main characters. I mean what the fuck was up with Cleveland freaking out about his son basically finding a job?

At least there was some delicious loli brown girl.

Banned

I couldn't stand five minutes of it, it was just aful...

Thread Information