View Poll Results: how would you rate this episode?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 - Ha!

16 8.60%
  • 4/5

74 39.78%
  • 3/5

55 29.57%
  • 2/5

32 17.20%
  • 1/5 - Have a D-lightful summer!

9 4.84%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Rate & Review "Bart Gets a 'Z'" (LABF15) (now with 68% more facebook hate!)

BART BECOMES THE TEACHER’S PET ON “THE SIMPSONS”
    SUNDAY, OCTOBER 4, ON FOX

When Mrs. Krabappel confiscates student’s cell phones, the class, organized by Bart, decides to teach her a lesson by spiking her coffee and watching her make a drunken fool of herself. Principal Skinner fires Mrs. Krabappel and replaces her with a cool new teacher, Zachary Vaughn, who impresses Bart and his friends with a hip attitude and love of texting, blogging and using Twitter and Facebook. Torn by his affection for Mr. Vaughn, yet plagued by guilt, Bart makes his way to Skinner’s office to tell him the truth and get Mrs. Krabappel’s job back in the “Bart Gets a ‘Z’” episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, Oct. 4 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SI-2015) (TV-PG D, L, V)
    calmer than you are

"Oarding is not torture"? I really need to upgrade to an HDTV.

I'm surprised they got away with Homer chasing Santa's Little Helper naked through the yard. I thought they couldn't do nudity on the show anymore.

Marcia Wallace plays a pretty good drunk. In fact, I think this is the most Mrs. K has spoken in years.

"Reveals Size of Principal's Wang". Wow, that's not funny. At least Skinner's magic act jokes kinda made up for it.

Twitter jokes, Skype jokes, Facebook jokes...yeah, this episode will be completely out of date inside two years.

Hank Azaria does a pretty mediocre Rodney Dangerfield.

What the-- that second act break came out of nowhere! I am so sick of this four-act structure...

"When was the last time you washed your hair?"
    "Two weeks ago?"
    "Well, that's better than me..."

Homer's actually pretty funny here. Him sobbing on Zack's shoulder made me laugh more than it should have.

Parodies of The Secret are always fine by me. "I had to live in a kangaroo's pouch!"

"I'm a Simpson, and a Simpson never gives up until he's tried one easy thing." That made me chuckle.

So we go from Edna's apartment straight to her opening a muffin shop? Either part of the episode is missing or this show's suffering from serious pacing issues.

Wow, this is actually a pretty good Krabappel-Bart story.

Eh, one too many la-la noises.

Better than I thought it'd be. Didn't remind me of "Sweet Seymour Skinner's Baadasssss Song" as much as I thought it would. More laughs than last week, that's for darn sure.

Nineteen-Ninety-Something
    A webcomic about my favorite decade
    and the characters who made it interesting

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Bad:
    --Homer's crying
    --Skinner's "La la la la..."
    --The very ending.

Otherwise, the episode was solid all the way through and it actually kept me interested without becoming too silly and/or schmaltzy.

4/5.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Junior Camper

It was a fairly good episode. Best moment was Homer crying. Interesting to see how the voices continuing to evolve as the show goes on.

Better than last week's episode, though that's not saying much. Still laughed a bit during this episode.

3/5
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Wishing the 2000s would end CyberpunkSpy's Avatar

Horrible 1/5.

Once again, my favorite character Lisa, gets the shaft. Comon guys, you just got to look at season 1 and the other early ones just to know what clicks.

First of all, the plot was all over the place. One time it was about teachers vs students, then it was about the hipster teacher and then it was about Bart going all feminine on Mrs.K. No cohesion at all.

Second of all, this episode lacked a sense of consistent humor with the satire. It seemed all too 'routine' and tired. I laughed a couple of times but those moments were rare.

Third of all, marge was competely missing. The Simpsons is an ensemble show not just one character doing one thing all the time.

Fourth, the fourth act really hurts this episode with its hastily finished conclusion.

Surprised that alot of people liked this episode.

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

4/5, it was good. It didn't focus too much on Facebook and Twitter, it focused more on Bart and Mrs. K, but that isn't really bad. It had some funny parts, and some not-so funny parts. End of act 2 was really abrupt, and Homer chasing the dog naked was... not funny. Overall 4/5, much better then last week's, IMO

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

A great Bart/Krabappel story.

Bart actually acts like a real kid! His characterization reminded me of the Bart in Marge Be Not Proud, which is one of my favorite episodes. Also, I always like it when Bart wears his hoodie.

4/5
    UP AND ATOM!

Blog Entries

Better than last week's. Not only were there plenty of jokes, but the plot kept me interested and the Bart/Edna plot was executed well (IMO). Overall 5/5

This episode was okay. 3/5. I liked the Bart/Mrs. K stuff, but the technology jokes weren't funny.
    Last edited by Ram27; 06-23-2010 at 12:05 PM.

Anyone know who was the writer of this episode?

"I'm a Simpson, and a Simpson never gives up until he's tried one easy thing" was easily my favorite line from the episode. overall, the episode never exceeded my expectations, which weren't at all that high anyway. homer chasing santa's little helper gave me a slight chuckle, and well as the scene with Krabappel leading the kids through the hallway. That was my favorite joke from the episode.

Voice acting was great for Krabappel! Really good job, especially the beginning of the fourth act. Skinner sounded a little odd at the beginning, and the new teacher was great near the end.

The plot was a good idea, and there were a couple of hints of emotion in there, albeit forced. i liked the touch of bart in the red sweatshirt...i don't know why, but that struck me as a little heartfelt. by the third act, it seemed to go wacky, starting with the bakery thing. and by the fourth act, it fell apart, with the 2 minute scene in the hallway with "kids suck!".

i hate rating simpsons episodes low, but 2/5...maybe it'll get better next week.

Huh. I thought it was excellent. The first act was wonderful. I figured the technology jokes and substitute teacher were going to kill the episode, but then they got him drunk.

4.5/5, rounded down.

Better than Homer the Whopper I guess. A few points...

-Chalkboard and couch gag were very decent.
    -First act not too bad, although the voice acting is again distracting. In the episode I thought only Harry and, interestingly, Dan had above average performances for the era.
    -The Answer video had its moments.
    -Bart trying to have flame vision was the funniest part of the episode IMO.
    -Trendy pop culture references don't do anything for me at all and seem to be heavily used nowadays.
    -Second episode in a row where Lisa is hardly in it at all.
    -Characteristically has a high number of jokes that fall flat and attemped emotional moments that don't really have much substance.
    -Homer's talk with Bart was alright.

Overall, relatively weak but not a total loss. I really like the idea of the episode and it's nice that Krabappel is seen again, but it just doesn't seem the show is capable of pulling off a home run anymore. 2/5

As an add-on, it seems to me Bart the Lover is in another (higher) dimension from this episode. I'll use that as the standard for an Bart/Krabappel episode.
    Last edited by Nauru-1; 10-04-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Blog Entries

The poll results for this episode are really weird. I've never seen an episode have way more 2/5s and 4/5s than any other rating.

I liked the episode, finally some more good Bart moments. Yah I agree with whoever said he reminded of a kid this time around. Hmm wow I am noticing very little Lisa latley.

Bart V.S Bob!
    Bart fan!

this episode was surprisingly very funny, and a ok plot. I loved when Milhouse said "that was totally worth 15c"

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This was a bit better than I anticipated, as it was pretty good and showed a lot of promise up until the new teacher arrived. Then... well.... no thanks. Also, the "I hate children" run was just... ohh-kay. I had a "what am I seeing here?" look on my face during that. 2/5, and for me, that signifies a great episode for the recent standards of the last couple seasons.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

I missed the last half of the episode, here is my half review:

The Good
    Fun opening, although the end of it was weak.
    I like the commentary on the cellphones. I was lucky enough to be out of school by the time cellphones became really popular.
    Homer playing with SLH
    The liquor stealing montage.
    Marcia Wallace did a great job voicing drunk Edna. I've always found her to be one of the more under-appreciated voice talents on the show.
    The first act was decent enough. Not particularily funny, but a pretty good story and set up for the rest of the episode.
    The Rodney Dangerfield/Back to School ref was funny... The first time. It got overdone fast. Having the dean designed to look like George Plimpton was a nice touch.
    "It will be his last birthday if he continues drawing pictures like this."

The Bad
    Milhouse, his voice sounds a lot whinier than normal and he wasn't funny either.
    The new teacher is annoying as hell.
    The episode kind of fell apart in the second act, the internet stuff seems rather repetitive.
    The second scene of the back to school parody

The Ugly
    Homer crying for a long time.

And I missed the second half of the episode, everything after the beginning of the third act.

From what I saw, it was reasonably enjoyable.

the funny: Skinner's magic joke as he's leaving the room, High Brow University fakeout, Homer crying.. and uh, that's about it.

Nothing really funny, The Secret parody bordered funny, but then it got too jokey with no real substance at all. It's a below average Matt Selman episode, full of meh sitcom jokes heavy on the dialogue, with little to no substance. The fact that this episode is getting good reviews only reinforces the out of touch opinion of the vocal regulars on this forum, they'd rather have a boring, unfunny episode where the writers meet their expectations of characterizations and basic plot structure, and the slightest hint of a half assed emotional element, and 4/5's and 5/5's come out of the woodwork.

This episode was shit.

the poster formally known KrustyBart's Avatar

LOL

That was a very good episode,it kept me interested all the way thru 5/5
    MY SIMPSONS COLLECTION>> http://CMM61.WEBS.COM/

I can honestly say I was pleasantly satisfied with how this episode turned out. Enjoyed the nude drunk Homer, stale brownies for the students, among other things like the hip teacher getting drunk and how he hated all the students or a Drunken Edna and the events which spawned it at school.

4/5 (may change in the future, but my rating for now).

The reality is that both your post and his should be bannable offenses. Pure ignorance about the show's current-day content is just as offensive as wearing blinders to mediocrity and openly praising everything.
    - Brad Lascelle,
    even if I don't agree on a post like mine in which I did not watch a new episode of OFF and still give it a negative rating should result in banning

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

HOW COULD I FORGET!

Sherry Bobbins rises from the dead!

Thank god they're mixing it up with the crow.

I was sort of tuning in and out of this episode, so I may have to watch it again in order to write a more accurate review, but I thought it was pretty average. I like the dynamic between Bart and Edna (I mean, "Bart the Lover" is one of my favorite episodes of all time, and I have a soft spot for "Special Edna", too), but the whole self-help aspect seemed a bit unnecessary (I did like that Bart's wish was for flame vision, though; that was a nice little-kid detail). The final act was also pretty rushed (how convenient that the new teacher just happened to spike his own energy drinks with vodka), and Skinner's la-la-la thing was ridiculously bad and unfunny. (However, I did like that Bart chose to do the (comparatively) right thing and fess up to Skinner instead of simply pulling the same prank twice to get Edna reinstated.)

And on a totally random, I-should-be-ashamed-I-know-this note, I'm pretty sure "Edna's Edibles" was the name of the bakery that Mrs. Garrett opened on The Facts of Life. I couldn't figure out if that was an intentional reference, or just the best name the writers could come up with. Neither prospect is particularly thrilling.

Anyway, this wasn't a bad episode--it was cohesive, for the most part, and the technological/pop-cultural aspect wasn't too over-the-top or cringeworthy. But there weren't too many laugh-out-loud moments, and there never really seemed to be any Will Edna Be Re-Hired?-type tension. Much like "Homer the Whopper", this episode kind of just...was.

3/5

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    HOW COULD I FORGET!

Sherry Bobbins rises from the dead!

Thank god they're mixing it up with the crow.
    Oh yea, I forgot! That was a pretty nice opening

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

IMO, how was Homer crying funny? It would've been funnier if after the Mr.Z said: "Just let it all out" and Homer cried for a few seconds, but it just kept going....and going...and going and I ended up looking at the clock hoping there'd be enough time to set up a decent ending, and for the most part, it was.

How anyone can rate this 5/5 is utterly beyond me. Is this a 5/5 compared to the past 2 seasons?? Or what..?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Alone View Post
    Anyone know who was the writer of this episode?
    Quote Originally Posted by chagopian View Post
    It's a below average Matt Selman episode
    Thanks for answering my question.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    IMO, how was Homer crying funny? It would've been funnier if after the Mr.Z said: "Just let it all out" and Homer cried for a few seconds, but it just kept going....and going...and going and I ended up looking at the clock hoping there'd be enough time to set up a decent ending, and for the most part, it was.
    I think it was just an attempt by the writers to somehow force Homer into the storyline. Meanwhile, where the hell were Marge and Lisa? Did they speak at all in this episode?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gorky View Post
    Meanwhile, where the hell were Marge and Lisa? Did they speak at all in this episode?
    I think they had at least one line each.
    Yay for less Lisa (IMO).
    Quote Originally Posted by jayleno View Post
    How anyone can rate this 5/5 is utterly beyond me. Is this a 5/5 compared to the past 2 seasons?? Or what..?
    I rated it 5/5 compared to the whole series. I enjoyed it a great deal and I felt like I was really watching a quality episode. It's okay if you don't like it, though.

Thread Information