View Poll Results: how would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others.

28 17.50%
  • 4/5 Oppression and harrassment are a small price to pay to live in the land of the free.

43 26.88%
  • 3/5 I don't agree with his Bart-killing policy, but I do approve of his Selma-killing policy.

58 36.25%
  • 2/5 Immigants! I knew it was them! Even when it was the bears, I knew it was them.

21 13.13%
  • 1/5 It makes no difference which one of us you vote for. Either way, your planet is doomed.

10 6.25%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review “Coming to Homerica” (LABF12)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Rate & Review “Coming to Homerica” (LABF12)

Promo: http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/5...omericav1f.jpg

When nearby Ogdenville’s economy crumbles due to tainted barley discovered in Krusty’s veggie burgers, the unemployed workers of Ogdenville flock to Springfield. After Mayor Quimby closes Springfield’s borders and enlists private citizens to help patrol them, Homer organizes a border patrol group
    Last edited by Xt'Tapalatakettle; 05-17-2009 at 04:36 PM.
    calmer than you are

3/5 i'd could have been better espicially the ending, I think it could have use a down beat ending

I liked it. I really liked it. Sure, some jokes didn't work for me, and there are some things that wouldn't work (Springfield has 3 cops, and they muster more cops at the end?), but overall it was a great story mixed with some good gags. I loved Homer banging into the "report child abuse" sign. 4.5/5, rounded up to 5/5. What a great way to end a good season.
    Your opinions are yours alone.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

It was okay, not spectacular or that great. The satire was just too blunt and the ending was equally stupid. It had its moments, like with Wiggum and Lou at the border, but otherwise pretty meh.

Junior Camper

I liked the brief 'Up' reference with the balloon house.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Hm! It certainly wasn't outstanding, but it wasn't halfway bad either - pretty decent. It felt very full but it still exhibited a basic problem of the newer episodes: far too much build up so that there wasn't enough time for the basic premise of the episode to really get the chance to come to life. They still did a pretty good job with the material we did get, though. It was like the first half was completely story-based and lighter on laughs, and the second half, with the actual border patrol and wall and all of that stuff, was much lighter on story, but much, much funnier and a little heavier on the satire, which I think worked in the end kind of.

The end was sweet (random dance party aside because really, now, how many of these do we have to get? Admittedly it fit within the context of the episode's end there but eh) and I think it really is hilarious that the Ogdenvillians actually helped to build a wall. And then they built a door. Ha. My biggest laugh - and really the only laugh I had - was the nod to Up in the background when Lenny and Carl were in the balloon chair.

It felt kind of averageish to me really. It was pretty engaging and there were no real awful moments... Decent enough. Nothing special, nothing outstanding, kind of a summation of the season as a whole, maybe, even.

pretty funny, some good jokes, and a good plot. My favorite joke had to be the "I'm not a baby but I still like milk and hugs". I'm going to be generous and give it a 4/5 by the standards of the rest of season 20, not the show altogether. I'm glad season 20 is over and hopefully next year will be better!

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

pretty meh, it briefly brought my hopes up when they showed Herman in the background, but that quickly died
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

NHC's fly on the wall lionelhutz123's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Season 20 finale was generally a great episode. The first 2 acts were the best and pretty much every gag hit, but the rest of the episode gets kind of shaky. There were some really good jokes (the balloons on the beach chair, Wiggum's lazy patrol work, etc.), but then also some lame ones (Bart pulling apart his skateboard, Homer sticking the gun in his mouth, etc.) The entire episode's story flowed quite nicely however. Maggie saying "ya" had more of a decent shock value than the fountainhead scene. It was probably one of the most fresh aspects of the episode. Other than that, I loved the interaction between Springfield and Ogdenville, but it made the ending predictable. I didn't really care for having a random dance scene as the closure to the season, but whatever, I'll take it. I want to give this episode a 4/5, but for now I'm going to settle for a 3.5/5. It is definitely one of the better episodes of the season.

EDIT: On a side note, I'm also glad that they used my favorite couch gag of the season for the finale. I also thought the chalkboard gag was good.
    Last edited by lionelhutz123; 05-17-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

Did more than 15 people remember that this aired? Because I didn't...looking for a download now.
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by |Mr.Sparkle| View Post
    My favorite joke had to be the "I'm not a baby but I still like milk and hugs".
    I forgot about this. This was pretty sweet moment between Homer and Lisa.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper Squirrel View Post
    pretty meh, it briefly brought my hopes up when they showed Herman in the background, but that quickly died
    Yeah my hopes got up too.....eh oh well. I still really liked the episode and i have been having a good day and i am feeling genrous, so for recent standards......fuck it 5/5.
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

Blog Entries

It was a good episode, Yah, Yah! Not only was I entertained ..but I think I learned something about tolerance also. I tried to over analyze this ep but I forgot to bring a notepad and pen to the viewing.. that plus I write real crappy when I'm staring at the tube and using a pen at the same time.. So the heck with it.
    5/5

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

I thought the satire was pretty good, but a bit obvious, almost South Park obvious. It had the potential to be memorable, but never quite went above what you expected out of the episode. There needed to be a little more hatred of the "immigrants."

I thought some jokes hit, like the Up reference and the xylophone jokes. I also liked the end with the prolonged silence when the wall went up (and I loved the overall irony of hiring out of towners to build the wall!). But for the most part, there seemed to be little conflict drawn out in the episode. Maybe this was because I knew how Springfieldians were going to react in the end, but the efforts to keep Ogdenvillians out needed to be more pronounced.

I think a 3/5 and a C+ sounds about right. I think this one might be one I like more when I watch it again.

2/5 - A pretty sputtering finish to what has otherwise been a season which has trended upward. A few good gags, but it lacked the subtlety and pithy satire that makes an issue-themed Simpsons episode grand. It also felt like there was too much story to condense down to 22 minutes. Just fell flat for me.

I liked it and thought it was pretty funny. also I liked that little "Up" gag and Chief Wiggum's boarder patrol. I also liked the Mexican immigranst referance throughout the whole episode. Overall gave it 4/5
    Thanks for the awesome times King of the Hill!

Blog Entries

The "Up" reference somehow flew right over my head. I just thought of it as Ogdenville using various ways to get into Springfield. Good gag.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Funny episode, but quite empty. For what it was, a just-for-laughs show with a small point, it was pretty solid. I do miss the days of heavy, thought-provoking satire along the lines of Homer Badman though. Even so, the story was well-paced, pretty fun, and had some solid gags throughout (another take on Krusty eating his own fast food, the Up reference, "Closed" Signs store, the wall at the end, Lisa's milk and hugs, Flanders' moments, three cops in Springfield, etc). Nothing much else to say, I guess. Pretty decent closer for a pretty decent season, relatively speaking.

3.5/5 B-

Was it just me, or was this episode three acts long?
    My Nintendo webcomic,

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Uh, this episode started off really great then went downhill with each act and by the time the ending came around, I was cringing at the "Springfield Nice" finale.

Anyway, 3/5, average.

BTW, I was telling my coworkers over the past few months since I've moved to Wisconsin the state's slogan should've been "Two Drink Minimum."

Say that episode actually give Maggie her official acknowledge by the family first word (ok maybe not)

Blog Entries

note: episode was written by brendan hay and this is his first simpsons episode. he wrote several for frank tv and is a producer of "the daily show"

Resident Astray's Counterpart

Thought it was relatively entertaining. I definitely loved the milk and hugs joke, at any rate, and the Ogdenvillans amused me.

3/5. Not a episode that will stand out in my mind, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Here's to a season with it's moments.

King of the Rock Bottom The Sovereign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

4/5, not bad, pretty enjoyable, actually laughed at Lou and Wiggum doing a terrible job of guarding the border

but is the population of Springfield changed for the rest of the series now or are they just going to go back to normal next season?

might do something not nice Jims's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hmmmmm. Interesting episode.

1. I thought the execution of the plot was well done. Looking at the premise of the episode (immigration), I wasn't so sure about how it would turn out. Making the Ogdenville folks Norwegian was a really good decision. It makes me wonder what nationalities the writers went through before deciding on Norway. It was an offbeat choice, which made the episode more amusing. The whole idea that Springfield is situated right next to (practically) a foreign country is funny in an absurd way.

2. That being said, the transition between loving and hating the Ogdens came a little too swiftly. The hospital thing is all well and good, but I felt there should've been a couple more substantive mini-scenes to illustrate the town's change. The turnaround was just a little fast.

Although I've been complaining about that all season, so maybe I'll never be happy.

3. On the other side of the coin, I absolutely loved the usage of Maggie to turn Marge against the Ogdens. It was just the perfect thing to turn her around. Sometimes the plot progressions feel cheap and forced, but this was perfect. Now that I type this, maybe they did an okay with the turnaround after all. Maybe just one or two more vignettes with the town would've helped.

4. I kinda wish the police would've arrested the Ogdens anyway. It would've been a more quirky ending and more Simpson-y to me. Once the wall starting getting built, we all knew where the episode was going.

5. Loved the "Grapes of Wrath" depiction of the Ogdenville people leaving town. Very atmospheric. After seeing it, I expect them to be stereotypical Southerners. When they turned out Norwegian, it was unexpected and funny.

6. Humor was just okay. Some of the Ogdenville jokes were handled well. I also liked the "xylophone phobia" shtick with the payoff with the band director. The "Ralph tumbleweed" got a laugh from everyone in the room with me. The writers have done a great job with Ralph this season... Although they used him well last season too.

Most every other joke fell pretty flat for me. Nothing cringeworthy, thankfully.

7. At Krusty Burger, didn't it seem like there was supposed to be a joke after Homer's "Nobel Prize" joke? I kinda expected some sort of payoff, but then the scene changed. I suspect there was something cut right there.

Overall, pretty good. Yet another 3.5/5 from me. The predictability of the plot and the jokes brought it down. Still, better than average.

Decent but not great. 2 weeks in a row Maggie has said something (not sure if last week's really counts) which is kind of unexpected.

It was a so - so episode. it started out good, but I could not shake the feeling that this was just a rehash of a story done by South Park. Definitely did not like the ending. It was just too silly for my taste. I liked the joke about the Krusty Burger commercial with "Krusty" eating the veggie burger a lot.

You know what? For someone who has bitched at much of this season, I enjoyed this finale quite a bit. The satire - while not subtle - wasn't done badly nor was it overtly preachy toward one side. The entire first act was excellent, especially the opening with Krusty, which was among the hardest moments I've laughed this season. The entire set-up for the Ogdenville population leaving was well-done and ellaborated enough.

Acts 2 and 3 were also pretty good. Lots of great jokes like Wiggum & Lou (these two rarely fail at humor, even nowadays), "xylophobia", the reference to Up!, and even Maggie's words driving Marge mad. While I would like to have seen more focus on the border patrol Springfieldians, it was adequate enough. And making the Ogdenville workers build the fence got a real kick from me.

All was good until Act 4, which wasn't a trainwreck, but was still the weak link in the episode. It was totally predictable, but that wasn't my main problem. Rather, I was more annoyed at how rushed it felt, and aside from the Ralph tumbleweed, it was relatively unfunny. I didn't like how it ended in general, either. Combined with the song, it felt really cheesy.

I give this episode a well-rounded B, which actually puts it in the upper tier of another lackluster season.
    Season 21:
    Homer the Whopper: C, Bart Gets a Z: C+, The Great Wife Hope: B-, Treehouse of Horror XX: B, The Devil Wears Nada: C-, Pranks & Greens: C, Rednecks & Broomsticks: D+, O Brother, Where Bart Thou?: B, Thursdays With Abie: D, Once Upon a Time in Springfield: C+, Million Dollar Maybe: C-

I liked it, it wasn't perfect but it was a pretty good way to close out the year.

The satire did its job, but it could have had a little more of an edge to it, instead it felt very light-hearted and forgettable. The ending had the same problem, I might have liked something more sinister better. Instead the Ogdenvillians (or whatever they are called) were just too nice and easy-going, making over-population really the only reason for the conflict. Still, there was some nice humor at play here, from the Up reference, to Homer drinking the new alcohol, to the billboard gag, to the xylophone jokes. The animation had it's nice points too, I liked the faded color scheme of the immigration sequence, not to mention the pale complexion of the family after eating the tainted food. The story felt a little over-loaded, especially since the border patrol stuff took only a few minutes (even though every promo played it up like a huge plot point), but it did flow well.

I don't know, it's kind of nice to have a season finale which plays it down the middle without huge guest appearances or over-the-top plot ideas, so this episode had a nice charm for me. 4/5
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

might do something not nice Jims's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Speaking of the "Up" joke, is that one of the only jokes ever about a movie that hasn't come out yet? The show always lampoons movies, but it's rare to see that kind of thing.

...That's Pixar for you, I guess.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

That one only got 2/5 out of me. The entire ending seemed like a waste of time (I thought for sure that when the wall came up, there was going to be some joke where the Springfieldians ended up on the outside); they built the wall, then meh.

I think I see the problem; some foreign guy was the show runner this week, according to the credits: Al Jëan.

-- Don

Thread Information