View Poll Results: how would you rate this episode?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Daddy

13 7.60%
  • 4/5: Burlap

45 26.32%
  • 3/5: Moe

49 28.65%
  • 2/5: Daddily-Doodily

35 20.47%
  • 1/5: This is indeed a disturbing Universe

29 16.96%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review "Four Great Women and a Manicure" (LABF09)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Rate & Review "Four Great Women and a Manicure" (LABF09)

promo: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...twomen_v2f.jpg

Marge and Lisa visit the nail salon where they engage in a spirited debate as to whether a woman can be smart, powerful and beautiful all at the same time. To prove their point, they spin four tales of famous women featuring famous Springfield faces: Selma as Queen Elizabeth I, Lisa as Snow White, Marge as Lady Macbeth and Maggie (guest voice Jodie Foster) as the idealistic architect protagonist from Ayn Rand’s “The Fountainhead”
    Last edited by Xt'Tapalatakettle; 05-17-2009 at 04:36 PM.
    calmer than you are

Pretty fun so far we are heading toward 4-4,5

this is definitely my least favorite episode in a long time, I rarely like the 3 part episodes, and this was horrible, the only redeeming part was the last act with Maggie. That one was kinda cute and funny. The last gag with Maggie drawing on the wall was funny too. But other then that last act, this episode was horrible. 2/5

I must say this was one of the worst episodes ever since 'That 90's show', Bart didn't appear in it all and Nancy only had ONE line as Kearney.

3/5. Everything was going good with this episode until Marge ordered Homer to kill people. Oh and Homer's line about strangling babies.
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

4/5 I'd say I love pretty much all the story except for the last one, it had none of the ayn rand over the topness

I missed most of the first story. But I enjoyed most of what I saw.
    I really liked the almost philosophical element to it. It was equally clever and funny. Most of these episodes where the characters tell beloved stories are very enjoyable. However, they are never very heavy on characterization, connection of plot and touching moments, mostly because they can't be. That isn't the nature of these types of episodes. So I'd give it 4/5.
    I always love self-references (Three stories. That's how many we usually tell.) I really liked that they got Jodie Foster to do Maggie's voice and finally, I still can't get over how much I love that "flaming dreamboat" joke in the first act. Sideshow Mel and Dr. Hibbert were great in Macbeth. The animation looked great especially in HD. But, it still could have been funnier. Not every joke worked. Still, though it's one of the better episodes of the 20th season.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

You know, with how short and basically... empty these stories really were, I wish they'd stop doing them. You have to wonder why they bother. They're basically unfulfilling little snippits lacking decent detail or characters or anything.

That being said, for what it was - as a... quadrilogy episode, it was still good.

The first story was weird and flat and empty with a few funny moments, but using Julio... Julio? to such an extent was just weird.

The second wasn't a lot better, but the dwarves were pretty good and the song was nice.

The Lady Macbeth one was definitely the best. It was the only one that felt like it had some substance and I really did like the direction they took with it. But about the time we got Mel's blood I was thinking it could have worked as a THOH too.

The Fountainhead one was back to the more "whatever" thing. It was okay but Maggie talking wasn't anything particularly extraordinary.

Uh... The first one was probably the weakest, the second and last were somewhere in the middle and kind of on-par with one another, and the third one was definitely the best. These kinds of episodes should probably stop, though, especially with the new four act format... It's even more empty than before. There's just nothing really there, there isn't a lot to get invested in, there isn't a lot to enjoy.

But yeah. Like I said. For what it actually was, as one of these kinds of episodes, it was probably one of the better ones. Not the best but not the worst.

Blog Entries

This was a strange episode. They rushed into the first segment awfully quick, and it lasted 5 minutes. It was probably the weakest segment and there really wasn't anything funny. The Snow white segment was better, but at the same time pretty mediocre.

The last 2 segments were interesting but in a rather weird way. The Macbeth segment was original, yet confusing. I feel like I have to watch that one over again, because I found myself lost on certain parts. There were some really funny goodies in this one though, like when Homer fills Dr. Hibbert's office with laughing gas. The whole scene was handled very well and with a nice touch of dark-toned animation. For my own personal taste, I was pleased to get a Matrix Reloaded reference when Homer quotes it on stage. Overall, this segment felt more like a treehouse of horror story, but considering the best segment from "Treehouse Of Horror XIX" was IMO "It's the Great Pumpkin, Milhouse", I'm not complaining. This Macbeth story was very unusual, but it did it keep me entertained.

The Fountainhead segment was pretty good and definitely better than the first two IMO. Maggie speaking had some good shock value, and it was so random, that I couldn't help but be amused. It is non-canon to the regular series, so I didn't find anything wrong with it.

I feel like the last 2 segments shouldn't have entertained me at all, but they did. There were some really decent scenes, like Homer acting with no audience and the montage of Maggie building different buildings with blocks. The last two also were the most humerous, for I liked several gags like Homer talking about strangling babies (A weird thing for him to say, but I know he would never do it, even in a nan-canonical story, because he was just expressing his frusteration of being in charge of a daycare), and Maggie saying "You Suck".

One thing that did bug me was when Homer was in handcuffs and asking Marge for bribe money. I am getting sick of the "Homer's brush with the law gags". Anyway, first segment was below average, second was mediocre, and the last 2 were better than the first two. I grant this episode an average rating of 3/5. It could have been alot worse.
    Last edited by lionelhutz123; 05-10-2009 at 05:01 PM.

I like this one alot, an unhealthy amounts of Alot! This episode had everything I needed for a favorite episode. Macbeth, Jodie Foster, Murderous Marge, Boarder line copyright infringement.. Whats not to like?
    5/5

Blog Entries

Fantastic episode. The Macbeth parody was perfect. The song was amazing too, especially during the end credits. Some segments were short and sweet, but I liked it. Marge's "That's three stories. That's what we usually tell" had me on the floor.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

The Snow White parody was clearly the best of the four. The "If Disney sues, we'll claim fair use" line at the end had me in stitches. The Queen Elizabeth bit had its moments. The Fountainhead one looked like it had potential but felt incredibly rushed. The Shakespeare one was cringeworthy. Overall it averages out to about a 3/5, but a widely uneven one. The four act format really doesn't work too well for this kind of episode.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

Eh it was kinda boring but Maggie talking was pretty cool in a bizzare way. It defineitly went by very fast though, i turned to fox at exactly 8 and the opening was over and Marge was already starting the first story. I also thought it was kinda weird how they had this episode then a trilogy episode of Family Guy right after it, too much mini stories for one night... The best part by far was the fantastic animation though, wow that is really making these new episodes way more enjoyable for me.

Eh, it was nothing special but it wasn't embarassingly bad so......3/5 being generous...

Oh and did anyone else get the Andrew Ryan vibe from Maggie's teacher in the Ayn Rand story?
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Uh, it's been this long and there's been only 11 reviews!?

This turned out the opposite as I hoped--I thought the Maggie one was goinig to be the funniest, and the rest, dull, but I didn't mind the first three and the Maggie story was a "C" at best. I just wish they had here story be ENTIRELY set when Maggie was older, regardless of what she looked like.

Anway, I liked most of what I saw so 4/5.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Shutton View Post
    Eh it was kinda boring but Maggie talking was pretty cool in a bizzare way. It defineitly went by very fast though, i turned to fox at exactly 8 and the opening was over and Marge was already starting the first story. I also thought it was kinda weird how they had this episode then a trilogy episode of Family Guy right after it, too much mini stories for one night... The best part by far was the fantastic animation though, wow that is really making these new episodes way more enjoyable for me.

Eh, it was nothing special but it wasn't embarassingly bad so......3/5 being generous...

Oh and did anyone else get the Andrew Ryan vibe from Maggie's teacher in the Ayn Rand story?
    I thought I was the only one who noticed how incredibly early this episode aired. I switched to FOX at exactly 7:58 just to be safe, and the crow was already passing by the clouds.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    I thought I was the only one who noticed how incredibly early this episode aired. I switched to FOX at exactly 7:58 just to be safe, and the crow was already passing by the clouds.
    Yeah, i hate when that happens, it makes me feel like i'm coming in in the middle.

O and hey its the first appearance, since his oddly placed appearance in the opening, of that random, boring ballet teacher guy!!!!

YAY my new favorite character!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Yeah, the ballet guy was actually not as annoying as he was in "Smoke On The Daughter", but I still hope they don't overuse his character like the "yes" man or the crazy cat lady.

Who the heck is Valentina L. Garza? Someone related to Rays pitcher Matt Garza? Well, tonight was the wrong time to have an absolutely new writer join the Simpsons staff. Someone please fire him (or her).

Anyways, on to the episode:
    -Selma as Queen Elizabeth 3/5
    -Snow White parody 3/5
    -Macbeth parody 1/5 (this could have easily been a Treehouse of Horror segment)
    -Ayn Rand parody 1/5 (also could have been a Treehouse of Horror segment)

Jodie Foster voicing Maggie made sense, but she should have voiced the "adult" Maggie and not the "baby" Maggie -- you could easily tell the grown-up voice on a baby didn't match. Clearly this entire episode (with the 4-act setup) was a disaster.

Oh, and my local cable company carries the HD version of Fox, but I don't have an HD television, so instead of the show being letterboxed, it was shown full screen with the sides cut off. This lead to some scenes not appearing "complete."

Overall: 2/5, or a D+. Only because the episode had a plot and the Snow White parody had its laughs.

To the book depository! burnin''s Avatar

crap.

2/5

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

The opening was pretty quick, which I thought was smart considering how much they had to cram in.

-Queen Elizabeth: Not bad--I actually liked the brevity here. The "flaming dreamboat" line was one of those jokes which is so corny/forced that I can't help but laugh. What an odd choice for an antagonist. I thought Selma was handled pretty well, and I enjoyed Krusty's bits too. 3-3.5/5

-Snow White: loved the visuals! The dwarves had their moments (I liked them using their pickaxes at work), and I enjoyed the unusual/seedy sides referenced in the songs (reminded me a lot of the Neptunians from Futurama). Otherwise, the gags were sort of few and far-between, but it was still enjoyable enough. I think the Lady and the Tramp segment from a couple years ago was a little stronger. I thought the witch's technique to get Lisa to eat the apple was pretty interesting, actually. And hey, it's Plopper. 3/5

-Macbeth: like others have said, very THOH-ish. The use of modern-day OFF to tell a "trilogy" story was actually pretty interesting, and there were some fun gags mixed in (Homer's face getting covered by bark, Mel's bone "falling out of his hair and beating him to death"). The direction and animation were quite solid, especially in Hibbert's death scene, but it sort of dragged and felt repetitive after awhile, with some lame gags to boot (Homer's last line felt wayyy too joke-y). Enjoyed Dan's reading of the final monologue. 3/5

-The Fountainhead: another segment taking place in modern-day. This one was also brief, but enjoyable, and probably my favorite of the night. The storyline was pretty light, but Maggie's exercises in creativity were amusing enough and I liked her brief speech. The only complaint I have with her voice is that it doesn't sound "unique" enough for a Simpsons family member--Homer, Marge, Lisa, and Bart all sound extremely distinctive. 3.5/5

As far as trilogy-ish episodes go, I thought this was a little better than the norm. I'd put it above Revenge, Wettest, Margical, and Tall Tales, but a little below Public Domain, Christmas, and Bible. Maybe a little above Love, Springfieldian Style too.

No Bart at all in the episode. Is this a series first?

3 or 3.5/5 C+
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

Not sure how to rank it.

The first one I liked the least. Even though I did find Julio's line about the flaming ships funny, it sorta didn't make sense to make the Spanish seem gay.

The second segment was probably the funniest mostly because of the song. I also liked how Lisa, being an 8 year old girl, did somewhat confuse some of the common fairy tales. Very soon they will probably be selling the Simpsons Seven Dwarves action figures collection.

The third segment was bizarre in a good way. I liked how they approached it like a play rather than one in which the Simpsons merely played the part of other characters in 16th century England (that would have been overkill considering the first segment). Marge felt a bit too pushy, but I guess it was to advance the plot and I don't really look for good characterization in non-canonical episodes. It really felt almost suited for Treehouse of Horror.

The final segment was good just because it bashed Ayn Rand. I really liked the Agnes Skinner Ayn Rand man joke. The montage of the teacher destroying the blocks was a bit long, but it was at least entertaining. They did seem to go for a very simple story with that one, which probably worked the best since most people are probably not familiar with her. While it was not as exciting as other trilogy segments have been, it was very refreshing to see Maggie in the spotlight and really brought out more of her character as a quiet genius. I really felt like the episode ended on a good note, too, with Maggie and the painting.

As I said, I'm not sure how to rate it. I guess I'll go with B- and a 4/5.

WTF Maggie??? And NO Bart Simpson???

This was an okay idea, once again taking advantage of the new four act format. But it felt like they couldn't think of how to make anymore "classical" interpretations after Act II, so you got all of the oddities of Act III and IV with Act III more akin to a THOH. I did like the Frank Geri reference in Act IV, which despite it being out of tune with the first half of the episode, turned out to be a surprisingly funny segment.

The Simpsons' Disney parodies haven't failed me yet.

Act I: 3.0/5
    Act II: 4.0/5
    Act III: 2.0/5
    Act IV: 4.0/5

Total: 3.25/5

P.S. - Better than the snooze fest of Family Guy's anthology episode.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ramier Wolfcastle View Post
    Who the heck is Valentina L. Garza?
    I've seen that name on the credits for a little while now as Story Editor - including tonight. So it's not like this person is completely new to the staff or the show or the writing process or anything, probably just the first time penning a script. Kind of sucks it had to be one of these kinds of episodes, because they're never exactly strong from a writing standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by iceiwynd View Post
    I've seen that name on the credits for a little while now as Story Editor - including tonight. So it's not like this person is completely new to the staff or the show or the writing process or anything, probably just the first time penning a script. Kind of sucks it had to be one of these kinds of episodes, because they're never exactly strong from a writing standpoint.
    Maybe thats why they gave is to him...

King of the Rock Bottom The Sovereign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why's it seem like there's more and more of these episodes?

Quote Originally Posted by The Sovereign View Post
    Why's it seem like there's more and more of these episodes?
    Well at some point they were really frequent but nowaday they are less

Blog Entries

well... it wasn't as bad as i thought - maybe because i was expecting the worst - but it wasn't too good either. episode itself had some amusing moments, not really too offensive, but still suffered from the syndrome of being a quadrilwhatever episode, therefore not having one or two coherent story(s) that would have a better chance of becoming one satisfying piece.

queen elizabeth I:
    i did not really care for it. two good lines that i can remember are "it's 1588 and this material is fresh and hip" and "what's armada with you" and another thing that particularly amused me was the reference to kirk gibson's home run in '88 world series; if you compare the animation to the real life, they are pretty similar (fast forward to 7:00)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHFiYyatM7s
    one reason that i did not... care for this segment was that the plot seemed to unravel just too fast; homer's tobacco smoking having to defeat armada was very rushed and bit lame, for example. i did not mind on the aspect of 'which character plays which' in the segments so... julio playing felipe ii did not really matter much to me, i guess they put him there because julio seems to be of spanish heritage or close to it. D+

snow white:
    animation was pretty cute in this episode; the dwarves, animal, the colorings, etc. basically it was pleasing in terms of aesthetics imo. i also liked how bits of elements from goldilocks were mixed in but that wasn't really big or anything... one big complaint, which can be inevitable as a short segment, was that the plot flow was too rushed (one aspect that i actually groaned over was when willie gave up killing lisa but as there was a bit of 'explanation' of it with him failing to kill plopper and even carve a heart out of the paper, i was cool with it) not a bad segment, but forgettable i guess C

in the other note, the face inside the evil queen's (whom i think was portrayed as lindsay neagle) mirror looked more like that of shrek's rather than the original movie.

macbeth:
    now we're talking, where should i start? macbeth is actually one of my favorite stuff that i've read and one aspect that i liked is that the real-life analogy to the story itself was done quite well imo. i did expect some people being upset about marge's extreme character here, but since it's a non-canonical parody, i would not really deem it anyway near as negative. there were some funny moments in the episode such as "the bone fell out of his hair and beat him to death" line from the ballet dancer guy (yeah, it was also my delight that he was back since he seemed to be an amusing one in 'smoke on the daughter'), marge throwing many shakespeare scripts at homer, etc.... fitting to macbeth, there were some dark moments and i quite liked several moments. i feared that homer's drunk conga singing sequence would lead to his demise as a rushed and half-assed ending, but it didn't... instead, the segment went to the better ending (not sure if it was the best but better, definitely). overall, the best segment of the episode easily. A-

the fountainhead:
    an alright segment but forgettable. i did not read fountainhead and only familar thing that i'm familar to regarding ayn rand was the subplot of 'a streetcar named marge', so i am not sure if my grading would be 'proper' in respect to how the parody was done. what i would say right now is that... it was just a short segment, not really much inside it. D+/C-

maggie in the future resembled of future maggie in 'lisa's wedding' btw

overall, 'twas alright. i like it tons better than 'love, springfieldian style' and 'revenge is a best dished served three times' but that's not really saying much... just a medium (how fitting to last segment) crust of season 20, i guess. C or 3/5 (or a bit less) it was basically saved by macbeth segment
    note:
    as ramier mentioned, valentina l. garza is the writer of the episode and it seems that it's her first one... all i can find is that she is listed as 'staff writer' who assisted in three episodes ('papa don't leech', 'smoke on the daughter' and 'mona leaves-a') and has written three for george lopez show.
    Last edited by sung; 05-11-2009 at 09:50 AM.

Unimpressive. Almost all the stories were terrible or average. The Elizabeth I story was quotidian, the Snow White story felt horribly truncated, and the "Macbeth" story was uninspired. A lot of jokes and gags failed to amuse me, though I do like the manicurists' sign, the couch gag, the automated mine, and Maggie's buildings. Speaking of which, that was the story that I liked best, even though it was short. I didn't like Maggie's voice, too weird. Overall, just a 2/5. Probably my vote for worst of this season.

Who at Planet Al Jean thinks people love these episodes so much? This wasn't worse than last season's "Love, Springfieldian Style" (which I consider the ultimate low for these episodes), but it was still awful. Parts of the Snow White and MacBeth sequences weren't bad. I enjoyed the "Off to Work" song, the dwarf moments, and some of the killings in the MacBeth one (mainly Sideshow Mel), but that's about it. But everything else was really bad, and the Fountainhead segment was a huge waste of potential. I don't feel like reviewing any more in-depth, because if you name something else, chances are I didn't like it.

D/D+

Season finale next week. Let's end this on a higher note, please.
    Season 21:
    Homer the Whopper: C, Bart Gets a Z: C+, The Great Wife Hope: B-, Treehouse of Horror XX: B, The Devil Wears Nada: C-, Pranks & Greens: C, Rednecks & Broomsticks: D+, O Brother, Where Bart Thou?: B, Thursdays With Abie: D, Once Upon a Time in Springfield: C+, Million Dollar Maybe: C-

Blog Entries

I didn't think it was great. This season has been really inconsistent.
    Queen Elizabeth: 2/5 (saved from a 1 by Moe at the end)
    Seven dwarves: 4/5 (great moments scattered throughout, great ending)
    Macbeth: 3/5 (not that good, not that bad. Theater director was awesome, as was Dan's performance when Homer finally gets Macbeth right)
    Fountainhead: 3/5 (Jodie Foster gave a good performance, but the teacher knocking down Maggie's buildings lasted FOREVER)
    Overall: 3/5. Okay, but no "Eeny Teeny Maya Moe".
    Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post
    i was going though deleted scenes when i saw the lead singer of the who saying shut the fuck up marge

Thread Information