View Poll Results: how would you rate this episode?

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 - can read in 78th grade level

37 21.26%
  • 4/5 - can study on his own

66 37.93%
  • 3/5

45 25.86%
  • 2/5 - passed by getting 2 extra points on the last test

20 11.49%
  • 1/5 - failed the 'introduction to unscrewing' class

6 3.45%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review "Waverly Hills 9-0-2-1-D’oh" (LABF10)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Rate & Review "Waverly Hills 9-0-2-1-D’oh" (LABF10)

promo: http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/178...verlyhills.jpg

When Marge learns Springfield Elementary is the worst school in the state, she and Homer rent an apartment in the upscale Waverly Hills neighborhood so Bart and Lisa can attend a better school. When Lisa is ostracized by the popular girls at Waverly Hills, Bart uses his newly established bad boy image to impress the other students and increase Lisa’s popularity by telling everyone she is best friends with the pop star Alaska Nebraska (guest voice Ellen Page). However, when Alaska Nebraska comes to town, Lisa is left wishing Bart had never opened his big mouth. Meanwhile, Homer moves into the new Waverly Hills apartment to make it look like someone is living there, and he quickly gets used to the bachelor lifestyle in the all-new “Waverly Hills 9-0-2-1-D’Oh” episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, May 3 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SI-2010) (TV-PG L, V)
    Last edited by Xt'Tapalatakettle; 05-10-2009 at 06:37 PM.
    calmer than you are

Its pretty decent so far thought the writers don't seem to be able to exploit the setting that much but the Homer Subplot pretty good

So far, not too bad, but they recycled one of their own jokes: "A present? Noo, I want it now, I want the kids to see!"
    Houston, we have a problem.. a SEXY problem!

Pretty good I will no real low except for Ralph Birthday coming back again but somehow it wasn't anything really remarkable

3/5

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was really hoping Bart was going to have Wiggum call him the "Infamous McKillin' or something, but the best part of this was the Havier Raheem guy from "No Country for Old Men". When he first appeared, I almost dropped my soda from a "WTF laugh."

(Was Alaska's line about dating a NBA point guard a Kobe Bryant reference?)

Overall, nothing too horrible, nor too great:

3.5/5, rounded to 4.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Liked the "Beverly Hills" song parody, the cops hiding in the department store window and the character based on the guy from No Country for Old Men. Otherwise, pretty meh. At times, the episode seemed to lose focus since it was shifting back and forth between plots. The Alaska Nebraska stuff wasn't that great, and Ellen Page was a bit of a wasted guest star.

They seem to have forgotten how to write for Skinner. And Homer started off pretty bad, but he calmed down. They make him too hyper, spazzy and off the wall these days (especially in last week's episode). They just seem to try too hard to make him funny and have people laugh at his antics.
    Last edited by McClure; 05-03-2009 at 04:49 PM.

they guy from No Country really made the episode for me, he wasn't an actual guest star though was he? Just a impressionist, anyways, it was really funny, the whole episode was pretty fun, plot was lackluster, but it had some good jokes that made up for that.

Quote Originally Posted by McClure View Post
    They seem to have forgotten how to write for Skinner. And Homer started off pretty bad, but he calmed down. They make him too hyper and spazzy these days, and they just seem to try too hard to make him funny.
    Well I think Chalmer pretty much eated Skinner as a character

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by |Mr.Sparkle| View Post
    they guy from No Country really made the episode for me, he wasn't an actual guest star though was he? Just a impressionist
    I think he was voiced by Maurice LaMarche (who was credited as guest starring).

Blog Entries

One of the better episodes of this season. Such a step up compared to last week's episode. 4/5.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

I feel like there was a great sense of energy throughout the whole episode. There was a lot in it and it felt like each of the family members (aside from Maggie, of course, but whatever) got a substantial part. Some more than others... While to me, it's felt like in the past few episodes Bart has had a much bigger role than Lisa, this time it was nice to see Lisa get a stronger, more significant part.

Really I thought her plotline played out really, really nicely... She didn't get too caught up in her popularity, and she didn't outright shun it like she did last week, but tried to embrace it, which was good to see. I liked how her intelligence was brought into question as well, and her little bit of insecurity regarding it - though clearly she's still pretty smart. Also great that Alaska Nebraska didn't play a big role in the episode at all, and thank god that she didn't suddenly try to make Lisa happy. And that Lisa didn't try to hang on to her friends or anything. The episode resolved nicely (Bart barely had a presence but his excuse to go back to Springfield Elementary was a great quick cut).

Also I was pleasantly surprised with Marge's role in the episode as well, which I wasn't expecting. Homer living in that apartment was a great little sideplot and seeing him and Marge go through what could've been their college days was pretty funny. The NCfOM parody was unexpected but I enjoyed it... probably only because I've actually seen that movie though, otherwise I probably would have just been confused and thought it as kind of dumb. Ah.

Aside from a few jokes that went on for far too long or were awkwardly cut in, the episode was pretty funny as well. Solid enough... kind of weird how many we've had focusing on the kids lately though. The past three are starting to bleed together a little for me. Still, looking at them separately, this one was a pretty good one in and of itself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redem View Post
    Uh...what?

Quote Originally Posted by Redem View Post

Yikes!

Blog Entries

damn looks like i need another view to make up my mind about for the complete review...

my first impression: not outstanding but it certainly is in the zone of being an 'alright' or 'good' episode. i personally can relate to the plot since i'm in a similar situation as bart and lisa are (elaborated more tomorrow) and basically i liked that the episode featured active views of all family members (except for maggie of course) in terms of storytelling and, gotta say, the plot started out pretty fast. there maybe a bit of hitches but i thought it was alright overall however i have trouble determining on my grade and it would also help to give a re-watch to make up my mind in several other aspects, so there. i'm thinking it as 3.5~4.25/5 range episode right now... hell, it can be even better or worse for me but the episode seems to have left me a positive lasting impression
    Last edited by sung; 05-03-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Uh...what?
    huh yea thought it was a bad metaphor too

but basicly Skinner was a better character when he wasn't always team up with the superintentdant chalmer

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Some of the ground covered here had a thread of logic to it (like Lisa concerned about her grades, and Homer/Marge's little love nest) and there was a spark of creativity at times, but I feel the episode didn't really embrace its potential very well. The new school antics felt a lot fresher and funnier in You Only Move Twice, and Lisa's subplot felt particularly tired (possibly because we just saw Lisa interact with shallow, annoying young girls last week. Two episodes like that in a row makes them sort of run together).

There were some fun lines, either way--I was kinda geeking out at the first Simpsons reference to the Wii, some of Homer's scenes were a lot of fun (him trying to find the worst possible place to live, "Sometimes there's NOT a train passing by," "You make words into dudes!" "Can I use that for work?"), and Homer/Marge's subplot wasn't without its charms. But at the same time, elongated filler sequences like Wiggum and some of the Ralph scenes made the pacing feel a little all-over-the-place, and a few gags fell pretty flat. The Alaska Nebraska scene was sort of interesting in that it took a few jabs, but didn't seem like a particularly necessary or engaging part of the plot.

A passable show thanks to some inspired moments, but a little mired down in some tepid writing. 3/5
    My Nintendo webcomic,

3/5. It was good to see Chief Wiggum as more than a bumbling cop and French Ralph was pretty good but other than that this was a pretty "meh" episode for me.
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Not bad. Not the best episode of the season, but far from the worst. Lisa had many great moments, and the creepy inspector dude was brilliant. But my favorite part would have to be the French Ralph walking into the locker. There was also a nice song over the end credits. I expected the Hanna Montana parody to be a little bit more brutal, because like a lot of people I can't stand the girl, but this was still a pretty good episode nonetheless. 8/10

Blog Entries

Also, what I liked about this episode, is that for an episode that focused on pop culture, nothing felt forced. The Alaska Nebraska thing was spot on and when the girls used their cell phones to text, they didn't execute it with some lame joke. Instead, they kind of acknowledged it as if it was normal and part of modern culture (which it is). I liked the joke of Homer tea-bagging his enemies while playing video games. The xbox and wii reference didn't feel like they were taking some lame shot at the video game industry, but instead just recognizing the 2 out of 3 main consoles in this day of age. I don't know who the writer of this episode was, but I'm going to guess...... Matt Selman? He's usually the best writer when it comes to displaying pop culture in the show.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    I don't know who the writer of this episode was, but I'm going to guess...... Matt Selman? He's usually the best writer when it comes to displaying pop culture in the show.
    it was j. stewart burns

also wrote:

moe baby blues
    the way we weren't
    there's something about marrying
    the monkey suit
    homerazzi (paris texan, who also appeared on tonight's episode, appeared there)
    marge gamer
    eternal moonshine of simpson mind

pretty good list, for jean era. also wrote two of my top 10 futurama episodes (the deep south, roswell that ends well)
    Last edited by sung; 05-03-2009 at 05:54 PM.

I liked every part of this episode. Very entertaining it was, A better episode than I deserved. It hurt when I laughed and I laughed a lot (ouch!) 5/5

This episode was written by J. Stewart Burns

edit: yeah, dewey, got it

actually decent. enjoyed the halo reference, and no country for old men reference. first act kinda went slow, but the last three picked up for it. some decent animation as well. loved the ending. 3/5.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
    it was j. stewart burns

also wrote:

moe baby blues
    the way we weren't
    there's something about marrying
    the monkey suit
    homerazzi
    marge gamer
    eternal moonshine of simpson mind

pretty good list, for jean era. also wrote two of my top 10 futurama episodes (the deep south, roswell that ends well)
    Yeah, J. Stewart Burns has a decent list of episodes. I think Selman and Burns are my favorite modern writers. I've seen some videos of both writers and I find them as two generally funny people.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

I didn't really have high hopes for this one, but wow was i surprised. I really liked it, great animation, relatively original ideas and overall it was just fun. Usually I don't like episodes that don't take place in Springfield but this one was very well done and some of the new character models were actually interesting (Homer's 2 friends).

This season really is shaping up to be pretty good....i'm feeling generous, especially after last weeks crapfest so i gave this one a 5/5

EDIT: forgot to mention the NCfOM references, awesome. And so was the T-bagging thing
    Last edited by Dave Shutton; 05-03-2009 at 06:25 PM.
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

Blog Entries

It was OK, I laughed out loud at the Milhouse hide-and-seek cutaway gag towards the end, and the NCfOM reference was pretty funny. Otherwise it didn't really grab my attention and was too reminiscent of You Only Move Twice.

3/5

Blog Entries

I also think those 2 neighbors were interesting characters. If the writers DO listen to the fans, here's a statement that isn't negative at all to ignore: I wouldn't mind seeing these characters in future episodes!

Blog Entries

i'd also like to add that i actually liked ellen page's voice acting here. for some reason, her voice tone actually seem to fit into the situation very very realistically not forced or anything

Blog Entries

I also noticed another bit--one of the maniquins looked like Ronaldo from "Marge Gamer."

Homer Simpsons Prodigy

I thought it was a pretty good episode, had some consistent laughs throughout.... 3.534345345/10

Thread Information