View Poll Results: How do you rate the episode? (Sorry, too lazy to think up clever options)

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

33 19.41%
  • 4/5

41 24.12%
  • 3/5

53 31.18%
  • 2/5

23 13.53%
  • 1/5

20 11.76%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: Father Knows Worst (LABF08)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Rate & Review: Father Knows Worst (LABF08)

This one has a poll!

When Homer observes Bart and Lisa struggling in certain aspects of their academic and social lives at school, he becomes a proponent of “helicopter parenting,” the process of closely monitoring a child and forcing them to succeed. Homer takes hovering to a new level when he chooses a nearly impossible subject for Bart’s balsa wood model-building competition and gives Lisa some not-so-friendly advice on how to make friends. Meanwhile, Marge discovers a sauna in the Simpson family’s basement that she finds hard to resist.

Sigh, as I said:

Quite a lot of characters seemed to be acting way out of acceptable characterization parameters. Subplot was ridiculous and almost nonexistent. What the hell was that ending? I did enjoy some jokes, and Homer learning about parenting is a nice plot. 3/5.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

So much lousy filler in this episode. One of my biggest peeves with recent seasons is having a character list things just to waste time. It rarely turns out funny and it's just boring and repetitive and it was done several times in this one. Come on, what idiot thinks someone listing state capitals is funny or clever or anything other than pitiful time wasting? Another annoying thing is how often characters seem to realize or learn something through visions/dreams. It's an overused plot device.

There was some terrible characterizing in this one, especially from Homer. Is it just me, or does Homer seem to be more like a combination of Bender and Fry from Futurama these days?

The Good
    Marge's afro
    Marge's vision of what would happen if she invited others.
    Homer imagining Marge riding a Stegosaurus.

And that's about it. This doesn't mean that it was a terrible episode, but there wasn't much memorable about it. 2/5.

What Civver said, pretty much. Very very very average, nothing spectacular, but when the jokes were on, they were REALLY on. Some of those jokes made me laugh the hardest I've laughed in a while at the simpsons. So basically, a so-so episode with some really good highs, but it could save the generally bad plot. 2.5 rounded to a 3/5.

Oh and the couch gag was terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sovereign View Post
    Still got free cheese :gatorshrug:

Blog Entries

A little wacky at the beginning, but absolutely hilarious. The subplot didn't interfere, basically only existing for the nice ending, and the episode was a great example of "jerkass Homer learns his lesson".

I don't really see how characterization was pushed too far--Homer and Marge sort of switched roles, but it was made believable, and Lisa (and Bart, to a lesser extent) was in perfect character

More thoughts to come later (maybe), for now just know that I consider this an easy 5/5, A
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

While I liked Helicopter Homer the rest of this episode was awful for me, could be a contender for worst episode of the season so far.

2/5
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

I liked this one very well, This episode went well with the fresh baked pizza that was served just for the occasion (Pepperoni, Sausage, Mushrooms, Onions).
    Both the "A" & "B" story lines lolled me into a state of contentment. I sat there watching and enjoying pizza and soda. A good time was had by all, I even got the last slice!
    5/5

anybody think homer was a bit too stupid at times?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WBadger42 View Post
    anybody think homer was a bit too stupid at times?
    In what ways?

Blog Entries

Another episode that surpassed my expectations. It's not the funniest episode ever, but it did have some decent laughs. I also thought it was well-written. I can't see why people are complaining about the characterizations. I thought they were great. I thought Homer would be a jerkass, but he wasn't. 4/5

Oh, and I'm glad the Marge "sub-plot" wasn't really a plot.
    Last edited by D'ohmer; 04-26-2009 at 05:18 PM.

some were pretty funny, but there were a lot of "Homer is dumb" gags:

-ant spray
    -push door

and there are a lot of others that I can't remember

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

As I said before, I loved it! It's always refreshing to see an episode that doesn't focus on a film parody, guest star or outrageous situation as a plot. We had the usual cast and not EVERY second-tier character was forced a line (no Krusty, no CBG), although Ralph's was pretty hilarious in that he really wasn't supposed to be in that classroom but was for the sake of being given a forced line (a slight meta reference).

Homer tries too hard to assist his kids and a realistic outcome occurs. Great! This wasn't jerkass Homer either, which was a big plus. I have a soft spot for "tries too hard too please" Homer.
    5/5

Edit: the door scene had me LOLing, which is rare. I'm a smiler, not a LOLer, so that was a huge compliment.
    UP AND ATOM!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    As I said before, I loved it! It's always refreshing to see an episode that doesn't focus on a film parody, guest star or outrageous situation as a plot. We had the usual cast and not EVERY second-tier character was forced a line (no Krusty, no CBG), although Ralph's was pretty hilarious in that he really wasn't supposed to be in that classroom but was for the sake of being given a forced line (a slight meta reference).
    Yeah, like how they talk on the commentaries about how sometimes he's in Bart's class and sometimes in Lisa's

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

I thought it was pretty good, actually. I liked it for the same reason I liked Hoe the Test Was Won so much: because it was funny. It was really, really funny. Episode was filled with gags and most of them were winners for me. I thought it was great and the only real criticisms I have are the most minor of minor nitpicks (like Lunchlady Doris - they can call it Dora all they want in the press whatever, but it's kind of clearly Doris - being back and talking. Can they just let that go? I know it's only the second time she's really been used since Doris Grau died, but seriously, don't use her again).

No. Really. It was pretty funny. I get that the episode was mostly about Homer being a father, but honestly, the Lisa stuff felt a little-- it was kind of lacking, and felt a little cheaper to me than Bart's stuff, so I think I might have preferred this as more of a Bart/Homer episode (Marge's subplot could've been completely cut as well, and I'm not sure I really like what it was implying - that if Marge got a break or source of relaxation, she wouldn't be as good of a mother. At least it explained where she was while Homer was helicoptering, but I don't know).

Homer's helicoptering was pretty funny (it was kind of odd that there was only one parent there at first, but once the concept was explained, suddenly all the parents were there; but once again, minor nitpick), and I did enjoy it for the most part. Lisa's plot, while pretty small, was solid and had some great moments for her.

My favourite parts during this episode were the Bart/Homer scenes, when Bart was getting humiliated by Homer - which was funny, for the most part, but his reaction made it for me - and when Bart wanted to work on the model (which was kind of weird giving his slackerish ways and how nicely they were shown before, but it didn't feel out of place to me) and Homer took over for himself. Also, Bart's message at the end was nice, and heartfelt coming from him, and therefore not out of place or forced or anything, but it felt natural.

Episode felt pretty full... It was funny... And I REALLY enjoyed the animation on this one. It stood out to me more for whatever reason. Really fantastic. Like with Homer breathing fire - that part was kind of stupid, kind of funny, but his face? That was fantastic. It looked like they finally let the rigid on-model stuff slide there. Anyone have any caps of that? The whole episode was fun to watch.

Anyway, here is my review:

Man, I wish this episode was more consistent. Twas all over the place with good and bad sequences and jokes. Like the beginning was pretty wacky and absurd how Homer loses his taste buds because of eating fire. I thought this was going to be one of those quick throwaway jokes but then it cut to him on the couch with the bandage on his tongue.

The "helicopter parenting" aspect of the episode was pretty hilarious and I laughed more than I thought I would. Even though they didn't have to make Bart look like a complete moron. This episode seemed to get better as it progressed, Homer's attempts to make his kids better or more successful in the future was cute.

I'm about finished with Otto drug jokes. The scene in the store with Bart getting the model was prety hilarious with the parents' reaction to Westminster Abby.

Marges plot didn't really seem like a plot but just a couple minutes finding of a secret sauna.

I'm unsure what to think of this episode as a whole because some plot aspects were pretty ... but I laughed a whole lot at Homer in this episode. I got some strange amusement of Moe crying in his bed.

Probably around a C+ or B- or should I raise it? I don't know, may be being a little too tough here

Blog Entries

Fuck the full review. I just typed a load on my itouch and the thread gets closed. Anyway, in short summary: The solution was predictable and was a ripoff of $pringfield. Plot ran smoothly, but it was cluttered with very lame, cartoony gags like Homer and the lollipops and everyone at the bar acting like rats. Admittedly, there were some pretty clever lines which were indeed funny. Homer annoyed me in this episode though, but I suppose it could have been alot worse. I definitely groaned everytime he acted like a helicopter. Are the writers trying to appeal to babies as well as everyone else? It was an average episode at best 3/5. On a side note, the credits was very random, yet highly amusing.
    Last edited by lionelhutz123; 04-26-2009 at 05:20 PM.

Blog Entries

I think calling it a ripoff of $pringfield is a little harsh, Homer didn't become a "helicopter parent" in that, he grudgingly helped Lisa because Marge wasn't around, this is a totally different concept

Unless you're talking about Marge being "hooked" on something...

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Only 19 reviews this late after it airs...whoa.

Anyway, I don't know if it's because I'm older, or more cynical, but when Homer's the star and acts like a screaming moron, I just can't enjoy the show. Nowadays, when Homer gets overstimulated/excited, he just isn't funny, period. When Homer was in line, I was wishing for Bart to go convict and crush his throat with his lunch tray. Even worse, Bart's scenes acting brain dead weren't funny at alll. The only good bits were Lisa trying to fit in. Don't even get me started on the "Hellicopter" impressioin Barf.

1.5/5, rounded to 2, or a solid "D."

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post

Anyway, I don't know if it's because I'm older, or more cynical, but when Homer's the star and acts like a screaming moron, I just can't enjoy the show. Nowadays, when Homer gets overstimulated/excited, he just isn't funny, period. When Homer was in line, I was wishing for Bart to go convict and crush his throat with his lunch tray. Even worse, Bart's scenes acting brain dead weren't funny at alll. The only good bits were Lisa trying to fit in. Don't even get me started on the "Hellicopter" impressioin Barf.

1.5/5, rounded to 2, or a solid "D."
    hmm... just what i was really worrying for. haven't seen the episode yet (i was at the party) and probably won't until tomorrow, but my expectations are very lowered
    calmer than you are

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SimpsonFloyd View Post
    I think calling it a ripoff of $pringfield is a little harsh, Homer didn't become a "helicopter parent" in that, he grudgingly helped Lisa because Marge wasn't around, this is a totally different concept

Unless you're talking about Marge being "hooked" on something...
    No, I'm talking about Bart's project winning because it looks like no parents helped him, even though Homer did it all. Doesn't that remind you of "Floreda"? It's the same exact same thing, except it's Bart and not Lisa. Also, "$pringfield" wasn't so predictable about it.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Homer dead in a swimming pool was excellent. I always love a lifeless Homer ("Send in the Clones" from THOH being another hilarious example).
    Last edited by Captain Squid; 04-26-2009 at 05:35 PM.

oh yeah, great couch gag!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    No, I'm talking about Bart's project winning because it looks like no parents helped him, even though Homer did it all. Doesn't that remind you of "Floreda"? It's the same exact same thing, except it's Bart and not Lisa. Also, "$pringfield" wasn't so predictable about it.
    Now that you mentioned it it kind of does, but the way they got there was completely different so...meh

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Universal Polymath View Post
    Yeah, I basically feel exactly the same. I can't pinpoint the exact point in the series when Homer's antics went from fun and endearing to downright annoying, but they certainly did (for the most part). And this episode just had way, way, way too much Homer.
    As the line in the movie "Tropic Thunder" said: Never go full-retard, because the audince can't connect.

After watching this episode, it's obvious the only person that needed help was Homer (as usual).

well I liked the end credits and the homer helicopter, other then that kinda ehh..

and I don't like how the ending was the same as the one when Lisa dressed up as Florida for the school thing and she won because her's was the only one that didn't look like it was made by there parents.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by |Mr.Sparkle| View Post
    well I liked the end credits and the homer helicopter, other then that kinda ehh..

and I don't like how the ending was the same as the one when Lisa dressed up as Florida for the school thing and she won because her's was the only one that didn't look like it was made by there parents.
    Hmm...guess more people are seeing the $pringfield connection (pun not intended)

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

A hiccup in an otherwise solid line of episodes. Like a few others have mentioned, there was too much Homer here, and he was too over-the-top. I've never liked when they stretch characterizations to the limit to squeeze into the plot (or a quick joke), and they did that several times in this episode--Homer trying to breathe fire on Bart's face, Bart putting binders on his ears and making dumb noises, the barflies resembling rats, Bart drooling and being incoherent in class, Homer not remembering Maggie when she's right in front of him, etc. The various plot points felt a little tired too--each Simpson family member's scenario has been seen before in some form in the past, and unlike last week's episode, they didn't feel well-thought-out enough to make up for it, IMO.

There were some pretty solid gags amidst the shakiness. I enjoyed some of the more unusual jokes like Marge's genuine suggestion of putting Homer's undulating taste buds on their Christmas cards, the semi-meta-reference of the lunchroom being composed of old comedy TV writers, Marge waterskiing on a stegosaurus, Willie sweeping kids around, and a few other moments. But those were sort of counter-balanced by a lot of pretty simple and weak gags too.

I dunno, sort of a low 3/high 2. Voted 3/5.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Yeah made the mistake of watching a classic Season 6 episode just an hour or two before tuning in to a new episode for the first time in over 2 months. Awful.

Homer is almost a completely different character on the show now. The only things I really enjoyed about tonight's episode were the animation and the comedy writer's in the kitchen joke. The rest was shit. You guys are being far too kind.

Why can't The Simpsons end now and try and perserve it's legacy?
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsfan20 View Post
    My view: You can show pictures of people in the nude, you can show pictures of people having sex, you can even show kids naked, but SHOW HOMER 'DOING IT' WITH LISA AND I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Universal Polymath View Post
    Yeah, I basically feel exactly the same. I can't pinpoint the exact point in the series when Homer's antics went from fun and endearing to downright annoying, but they certainly did (for the most part). And this episode just had way, way, way too much Homer.
    Me three.

Blog Entries

The "PUSH" door act break gag was great, that was the only part I LOL'd at. It was a decent episode, not great, but not bad. Yeah and that was cool that they put the a capella thing at the end.

3/5

Thread Information