View Poll Results: how would you rate this episode...

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 - Jessica Lovejoy

44 23.16%
  • 4/5 - Laura Powers

81 42.63%
  • 3/5 - Gina Vendetti

45 23.68%
  • 2/5 - Greta Wolfcastle

12 6.32%
  • 1/5 - Sherri + Terri

8 4.21%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review "The Good, the Sad and the Drugly" (LABF07)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Rate & Review "The Good, the Sad and the Drugly" (LABF07)

promo: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...the_Drugly.jpg

When Bart and Milhouse pull off a prank at Springfield Elementary, Milhouse takes the fall and gets suspended from school. Homer forces Bart to sign in under Homer’s name and visit Grampa at his retirement home, and Bart soon becomes smitten with a delightful 11-year-old volunteer named Jenny (guest star Anne Hathaway). Hoping to impress Jenny, Bart offers to volunteer at the home. But as Bart and Jenny’s relationship progresses, Milhouse emerges from his suspension and is less than thrilled about Bart turning his back on him for a girl. Meanwhile, Lisa does a report on what Springfield will look like in 50 years and becomes very depressed at the dreary outlook. A concerned Marge takes Lisa to a psychiatrist who diagnoses Lisa with Environment-Related Despair and puts on her on an antidepressant to cure her eco-blues in “The Good, the Sad and the Drugly” episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, April 19 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SI-2007) (TV-PG L, V)

poll matches recycled from 'little big girl' r&r
    Last edited by sung; 05-04-2009 at 03:48 AM.
    calmer than you are

Halfway decent but over lacked juice despiste a few good gags and the story was badly paced

3/5

Meh, it all seemed like it was done before in this episode, and was very predictable. The ending was alright, with Bart and Milhouse becoming friends again. Oh and Lisa's subplot was terrible, I'm getting really sick of their "environmental commentary." All in all, some good gags, but not enough to save it's ho-hum plot. 3/5

I would be more comprehensive, but I've got stuff to do!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sovereign View Post
    Still got free cheese :gatorshrug:

Junior Camper

Ok I'm sorry but when Homer was holding the corn and the chicken and smashed the bug with his head, I haven't laughed that hard in a long LONG time LOL

Enjoyable and funny. Loses a point for recycling plots though.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

First, this is the strangest coincidence I've had with my and the Simpsons online:

1. I was planning using a montage in my fanscript "My Little Homie" that was going to include "What a wonderful world" by Louie Armstrong, but now that's now not possible.

and...

2. I was comparing the Simpsons to Shrek (in terms of quality two days ago) on TV.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, for the epiosde itself, I actually enjoyed Lisa's drugging out more than the Bart/Jenny romance angle which was pretty much by the numbers, the biggest laugh came from the "He made me swim in 7-up." And for Lisa...the Smiley faced mind-fuck sequences were all funny, especially was Wiggum being shot and the giant "puddle" smiley grew larger on the sidewalk.

Anyway, I'd say this is a 3.5/5, rounded up to a 4 for nothing really retarded.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

It was an obvious hybrid of Bart's Girlfriend (minus the clever role reversal of Bart unwittingly becoming the more chaste of the two) and an underdeveloped Brother's Little Helper, but what the hell, I got something out of it. Both plots stayed well within the realm of reality, some great bits of dialogue ("Yeah, busboys get all the chicks" and "You've become what every mother dreams her boy could be...a girl!" were particularly inspired), and the pacing was great. Two problems, derivative qualities aside: some very questionable characterization, and a cheap, simplistic ending that felt tacked-on and borderline deus ex machina. The reset button just has to be hit, I suppose. I really loved the way the third act ended, and I wish they would have ended the episode there while fleshing out Lisa's plot a bit more.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it in spite of its flaws. 7.5/10 = 3.75/5 = 4/5.

Cute and riveting! I shared Barts tension and laughed at Lisa's happy pill moments.
    Boo on all that "It reminds me of this ep and all that" stuff. I take amnesia pills and watch new eps with the wonder and mirth they deserve. I was about to give this ep a 4,.. but Jimbo's trampy girlfriend bumped it up to a full 5!

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Hmm.

Really, there wasn't anything particularly special about this, or anything. Um... yeah. It wasn't bad, it wasn't great. It was alright. Not laugh out loud hilarious, just a few laughs here and there. It's sad when I actually feel the need to praise them for being able to stick to a plot as well as they did, but they did do a pretty good job with the story here, for what it was (it did feel kind of rehashy, but it still felt somewhat different).

Could've done without the Lisa subplot. That was just... pointless. Not particularly funny, not particularly insightful, and it felt pretty non-existent throughout the episode anyway, so giving more time to the actual main plot would have been nicer. It was just filler.

Jenny was a cute enough character and Hathaway can emote well enough, but she can't sound like a little girl. At all. I kind of did like her and her relationship with Bart - it was cute, kind of - but Milhouse really did save the episode. The pranks at the beginning and end were both great, and the conflict Milhouse actually brought in was nice as well, so that they could actually have one (they could have probably done this without him... but then the conflict would be more along the lines of Bart having an identity crisis, which I can't really see within The Simpsons, especially nowadays, and over his sixth or whatever girlfriend too...). Still - the friendship between the two was the best part of the episode, from the start where Bart said he'd visit, to his neglect and Milhouse's hurt, to their making up at the very end.

Ultimately though, I can't think of a whole lot to say on this one. Not a lot really happened...

Blog Entries

First act was pretty weak. Unscrewing prank? The idea is good, but it was kind of overly-comical that literally everything had to fall apart. It could have been alot better. The rest of the episode is running decently. I don't care for the bullies but that scene with them harassing that mother duck was actually kind of funny. The Lisa subplot was absolutely fantastic. I liked the main plot as well, but there was definitely a few scenes that were very "meh". Overall, the pacing of the plot flowed nicely, and the gags were hit and miss. As wacky as the ending was, I laughed as Ralph, Skinner, and Chalmers went sliding past the screen. I need to see this episode again if I want to give a more in-depth review, but for now, I'll be generous and give it a 4/5.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

I thought it was great. The storyline, while simplistic (and sort of a Bart's Friend Falls in Love reversed), was paced particularly well and came full-circle in a satisfying way. I was genuinely intrigued during the scene where Milhouse shows up at the door in the storm. The show has gotten so complacent in dropping first act tangents that I didn't expect them to bring up Milhouse again, but he worked well in the plot.

What really made this episode work, though, was the humor. I think it's definitely the funniest episode of S20, with a huge amount of clever lines and inspired sequences that run the gamut from screw-the-audience gags (Willie's girlfriend) to fun background visuals (the school falling apart), solid visual gags ("Here's the Y," Willie with the Zs) and the usual Simpsons cynicism (the effects of Lisa's drugs), all timed in a rather snappy manner (and no overlong gags!). Milhouse's sinister persona was cracking me up, and I enjoyed all the scenes he was in (particularly him backing away, dodging every obstacle in his path until offscreen, and the series of Milhouse-angry-at-Bart plates). And despite the flexible reality of some scenarios, the show felt quite down-to-earth and grounded in realism, with some strong character humor to back it up (like Marge's line about the perfect boy being a girl).

My only gripes, outside of some slightly over-the-top Homer, come from the way things wrapped up. While I like how Bart did the confessing himself instead of Milhouse, it seemed too straightforward, simple, and easy to have him get dumped like that. The final scenes with Bart, Milhouse, and Nelson almost made up for that though--I'm a sucker for when previous plot elements get linked together. And while it was a little forced, I like the brief convergence of the two plots as well (and Lisa's subtle fourth-wall-breaking).

Despite being simpler in its overall story compared to some of the other Bart-gets-a-girlfriend plots, the episode still pulled through with great humor, solid characterizations, and a rather well-told plot. Like Eeny Teeny Maya, Moe, it suffers a little in the inevitable breakup scene, but the rest of the show is good enough to make it one of my favorites of the season.

About as good as The Wandering Juvie, and that's pretty high praise for me.

5/5 A-

PS. On the subject of weird coincidences that Jake brought up, I just spent a week in Japan, and our hostess looked a whole lot like Anne Hathaway. Her name? Jenny.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

Lisa's subplot was great the first time they showed the smiley faces, but they didn't really need to do it 3 times. I'll take it with a grain of salt that a drug would make everything you see "happy faces." I was hoping they would go for more of an environmental angle with that subplot, but instead we got a subplot that centered around the same gag over and over. Yeah, it was funny the first time (even a little twisted), but it lost its oomph after that.

The Bart/Jenny/Milhouse story was decent and felt pretty fleshed out considering they had less time to develop it because of the subplot. There were some golden lines in there, too bad I can't remember them now. I was getting into the plot and thought Jenny might forgive him since he tried to change for her. Seeing Bart cry was strangely refreshing. The opening prank was awesome and much better than the closer.

There's something in me that wants to give this episode higher because I enjoyed it all the way through (I thought the parts were played well, except for Anne Hathaway). But when I look back at it, I can remember quite a few more faults than while I was watching it. So: C+/B-, i.e.- 3/5 I'll watch it again for sure and see if my mind changes.

interesting episode! many jokes succeeded, the lisa subplot, while wacky, worked; and the bart plot turned out good as well! nice ending! 4/5.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xt'Tapalatakettle View Post
    I was hoping they would go for more of an environmental angle with that subplot, but instead we got a subplot that centered around the same gag over and over. Yeah, it was funny the first time (even a little twisted), but it lost its oomph after that.
    Yeah, Lisa's subplot needed a Watchmen reference.

Am I the only one that's sick of their environmental messages? They're so forced and over-simplified they're hard to watch for me.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Not amazing, but not bad. Very middle of the road with recycled plots that didn't go to any distinguishing extreme. Like, you couldn't describe this episode in a sentence without having to make it a paragraph to specify which one you're specifically talking about.

"Bart gets a girlfriend."

Bart's Girlfriend?

"No, Bart has to act nice and Milhouse is jealous."

The Bart Wants What It Wants?

"No, the episode which Lisa is depressed."

Moaning Lisa?

"NO! Bart has a girlfriend AND Lisa is depressed, but both plots aren't related!"

Oh! The Good, the Sad and the Drugly!

"FINALLY!"

3/5

Great animation, btw!
    UP AND ATOM!

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Zimmerman View Post
    Am I the only one that's sick of their environmental messages? They're so forced and over-simplified they're hard to watch for me.
    Yeah, between the movie and The Old Man and the Lisa, they really need to stop it.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

It wasn't bad, in fact it was pretty good, just not anything mindblowing. It didn't have any really bad moments but I didn't really like the "future" of Springfield jokes. People eating soap, the last polar bear hanging himself in prison.....pretty stupid. I did like the Barney smiley puking smilies (if someone could get me a framegrab of that I would love it). And the animation throughout was FANTASTIC not a flat boring frame in the whole episode.

Overall, i'll go.....4/5, mainly for the fantastic animation that kept my eyes happy
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

Blog Entries

Oh and regarding the "Willie and the Z's" joke... I don't think that gag was strong enough to be the gag that it was. Here, we have the "camera" zoomed in near Willie's head and the letters fall, and the scene drags on as if the audience is supposed to look hard in order to understand it. I think gags like this would work better if it was a more subtle, background joke, where you either have to catch it really fast, or rewind and pause to discover. When it becomes a main gag IMO, it comes off really weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Xt'Tapalatakettle View Post
    Yeah, between the movie and The Old Man and the Lisa, they really need to stop it.
    The Old Man and the Lisa was alright. The only two environmental episodes that ever really worked for me was Lisa the Vegetarian (duh) and Bart the Mother (funny that the other would be a Bart episode and not a Lisa episode, but Bart the Mother is a genius episode in my opinion). At least this time they kept it to the subplot, we're seeing improvement - I guess...

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    Oh and regarding the "Willie and the Z's" joke... I don't think that gag was strong enough to be the gag that it was. Here, we have the "camera" zoomed in near Willie's head and the letters fall, and the scene drags on as if the audience is supposed to look hard in order to understand it. I think gags like this would work better if it was a more subtle, background joke, where you either have to catch it really fast, or rewind and pause to discover. When it becomes a main gag IMO, it comes off really weak.
    I get what you're saying, but I still think it was quick and snappy enough to work.

I did have a question in mind after seeing it, though--"SPRINGFIELD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL" only has two N's...where'd the third come from?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    I get what you're saying, but I still think it was quick and snappy enough to work.

I did have a question in mind after seeing it, though--"SPRINGFIELD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL" only has two N's...where'd the third come from?
    It was a magic "N."

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post

One of the N's did look like it was alittle broken so it might have been another letter

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    It was a magic "N."
    A wizard did it.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Maybe it broke off from the M?

I think it's funnier that it just appeared alongside the other two, though. It doesn't make any sense and kind of adds another layer to the joke.

I do agree with lionelhutz that it should have gotten less focus and been more in the background, but I still think it was executed pretty well. It did get a bit of a laugh out of me.

I feel like I should say this because it probably didn't come off too well in my first post, but I actually did really enjoy the episode. I just can't remember a whole lot to it. But I was entertained when watching it, so, you know, it was still pretty good.

5/5 cause Jenny was so hot I had trouble keeping my pants on

also im high right now

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Zimmerman View Post
    Lisa's environmentalism is more believable than Brian's environmentalism from Family Guy.

Lisa's sub-story was terribly funny, but just faded out once Marge cut her off the medications. True to what she was faced with, there are a lot of predictions out there of what the world may become in the next few decades.

There was an obvious sense a deja vu with Bart getting yet another girlfriend; this will be his sixth. But with a clear focus, this turned out to be another surprisingly good episode, minus a few extended gags that didn't work. Why ever did they show Lenny at his granny's grave?

4.25/5

Blog Entries

Was really flat until about the halfway mark. Jokes in the first half (Willie's bikini model girlfriend, Homer arguing with himself in the lake) were so dull. But the second half had brilliant stuff like Homer hitting the bug with his head and the "No 6. In a Series" subtitle on the Milhouse cookie plate. Means it gets a 3/5 from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

4/5 I really enjoyed this episode especally over last few. It was great and im not taking that away but Bart losing his girlfriend was to predictable it was even more so when Milhouse was jealous.

From early 90s to today; from cute to hot! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak6M_RGiyn4

I loved this episode! The plot was disconnected and it was recycled, but I have begun to realize that's just a theme and maybe the disconnected plot is part of the four-segment sequence. As for the recycled plot, meh. There was even the meta-reference, something along the lines of 'Bart and Milhouse aren't friends--for the 6th time'! hidden in the show.

I thought it was hilarious, Bart trying to be so good and actually getting away with it for a long time, and the predictable Milhouse jokes actually staying down. There were really funny gags but they weren't over-the-top; it had the feeling of a classic episode; the bullies, the ice-skating hall, THE DOLPHIN!

The Lisa B-plot had me in stitches--it did! Yes, the environmentalist message was 'barfed up', but Lisa seeing smiley-faces and getting high was just animated and scripted so well. Called to mind 'Selma's Choice' and Duff Gardens! Was that Tron Van Ding (name?) from 'Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington' in Ms. Hoover's class?

*Minus points:

-The end with Bart giving flowers to Milhouse. The Milhouse-is-gay jokes have been run through already...enough.

-Devil's food cake. Pre-dict-a-ble!

-Too much time on the bullies' crush.

RATING: 4.5--> rounded to 5.
    Last edited by LisaFan17; 04-19-2009 at 07:45 PM.
    ~Kristen~
    : http://darfurherald.wordpress.com/

March's quote: "We come to honor Bloody Guts Murphy..."--Timothy Lovejoy

Thread Information