View Poll Results: how would you rate 'Eeny Teeny Maya, Moe'?

Voters
237. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 – It's like there's a party in my mouth and everybody's invited!

104 43.88%
  • 4/5 – I start with the best part—the neck—and then I add secret hobo spices.

81 34.18%
  • 3/5 – What's-a-matter? You no talka with you accent no more.

32 13.50%
  • 2/5 – I sleep with a chick once, it costs me half a million bananas!

15 6.33%
  • 1/5 – I've been called ugly, pug-ugly, fugly, pug-fugly, but never ugly-ugly.

5 2.11%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review "Eeny Teeny Maya, Moe" (LABF06)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Rate & Review "Eeny Teeny Maya, Moe" (LABF06)

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/6502/moed.jpg

In an effort to spend more time with Maggie, Homer takes her to happy hour at Moe’s. While at the bar, Moe tells Homer about his new love, Maya, a woman he met on the internet. When Moe finally meets Maya in person, she is just as beautiful as her photos but he can’t help but notice one small detail: she is three feet tall. In order to make the relationship work, Moe must learn to love their differences.
    calmer than you are

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Thumbs Up

So far so good. In fact VERY good!
    UP AND ATOM!

Moe screws up another romantic acquaintance with his stupidity and boorishness. The sub-plot was short and enjoyable though. 3/5.

Amazing episode! Sweet, grounded in reality, funny and a lot of heart. Homer giving Moe his advice at the end was very season 2 Homer; an idiot with a big heart. Moe never dissapoints, maybe they should retitle the series "The Syzlaks"
    5/5

To the post above, you didn't see the last 2 minutes did you. Moe felt sorry and although he lost her her grew as a person and learned that he can be loved.

Looks like I get to review first! I'll give it a 4.5/5, rounded up to 5.

And all I can say is ... WOW! Definitely my favorite episode of the season so far. My only complaint was that Dr. Nick appeared (I thought he died in the movie), but the storylines (both the Moe plot and Maggie subplot) were well-written, and the entire last act was very emotional.

Overall: A-

Wow. Very nice! "Whoda thought a woman so small could make me feel so big." Nice way to end the episode. They need to make more episodes with this type of feel to them, because they could easily have made Moe to look like a jerk at the ending, which I was expecting them to do, but I actually felt for him at the end there.

At times a little rushed, and the Homer pain gag with the baby bully was kind of old, but other than that, very very good! 4/5, although now that I think about it, I probably should have given it a 5/5.

Oh and it's my century post!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sovereign View Post
    Still got free cheese :gatorshrug:

Excellent episode, although I would have just entirely dropped the Maggie subplot in favor of doing more with Moe and Maya.
    Signature.

4/5. Not as good as last week but still a really good episode. As Rainier said the last act was extremely well-done.
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

A sweet, down-to-earth, well-plotted, character-driven story coupled with an enjoyable, well-plotted, character-driven subplot, neither of which had stupid twists or ran out of time?

What season is this again...?

This one was enjoyable from start to finish. There were no stupid tangents, no tacky, overlong gags, and no sudden leaps in logic throughout the story (the closest it got was Moe's surgery, which he didn't go through with and led to a great fake-out). We see a romantic and sensitive side of Moe that we haven't really seen before (even when Moe has dated girls in the past), and an equally likable and romantic Homer (who ends up being surprisingly polite and gives some solid finishing advice). Maybe some will find the writing in this episode to be too sentimental or "tame," but sometimes a little sweetness goes a long way. The show has plenty of other ways to be edgy (or attempt to, anyway), and this wasn't a story that needed tacky sex gags or Homer overreacting to Maya's size. The show can't always have this tone, but it sure is a treat to see it on occasion. The emotion actually worked, and the character development was charming and realistic within the confines of the cast.

Equally as important, though, was that it was funny. Homer and Moe had a ton of great lines, the barflies played their roles well, and it was great seeing Dr. Nick again. Even Marge worked really well, although there was a surprisingly low amount of Bart and Lisa (did Bart even have a single line?). It's nice to see some consistency in Maggie's character too, although the subplot felt a tad repetitive at times. One other complaint--how many sex-change jokes have we gotten this era? It's feeling almost like a fall-back sort of thing, although at least this one had a context that made sense.

It's nice to see a stand-out episode that isn't a format-bender. What I find odd is that Jean really liked both this and Gone, Maggie, Gone--so clearly, he knows when an episode is above the usual quality. Why can't they all be on this level?

Best of the season.

A-, 4.5/5
    My Nintendo webcomic,

5/5 after watching it for the first time. absolutely loved it, I think I laughed at least every 5 minutes. I plan to watch it again on hulu, but for the first time I saw no flaws.
    Thanks for the awesome times King of the Hill!

the episode let me down so badly in the third and fourth acts.

first of all, this episode had a lot of heart. and throughout the episode, showed it quite well. moe's means to do well for her, the happiness of moe, and then the sweet ending. but some things went wrong somewhere in the middle.

jokes, tonight's strongpoint. a lot of laughs from this episode. only one i can remember failing was the "stealing cable" joke. but overall, really strong episode for gags.

animation was a little off at times, i remember when homer "saved" maggie the first time was beautiful. lisa looked off-model in the scene at the table. but decent animation tonight. (oh, some nick bg jokes too: maggie on the pool table, homer with the water (kinda wacky, but funny).

plot. this is where things went wrong. after a fantastic first and second act, things start to go wrong with the whole baby spy thing. when moe tried to go to dr. nick (glad to see he's back, finally) is when the main plot went horribly wrong. mya was a sweet and endearing character and the ending of her character was just...not played out well at all. i can understand moe wanting to please her, wanting to finally get a chance to be happy...but going to dr. nick and trying to make yourself her size? just wacky. couldn't they go a little bit realer for this episode? no, they obviously couldn't.

with a fantastic first two acts and a horrible last two, this episode gets a 3/5 from me. although i must say, that ending was played off very, very well.

4.5/5 this season proved itself to be consistantly funny, its very emotional, didn't exactly expect Homer to get his ass-kick so much by Baby Kearney

kinda funny they show the re-run of the O.J Simpsons Family Guy episode where they say people don't like the simpsons anymore (that episode truly had big timing issues, in more than one way)

Blog Entries

Well, I must say that it was great, even better than "Dumbell Indemnity"

Attention Simpsons writers: THIS is how you do a sex change joke! Seriously, that might be the hardest I've laughed all season. What I loved is that the two plots worked seperately, but also went together well--and there were two "sweet" plots, usually a Homer subplot is wacky filler but here it actually worked.

Even though we barely saw Bart and Lisa (Bart had ONE line), there was NOTHING else wrong with the episode.

An easy 5/5, A+

Who was the writer?
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

Great, great, great episode! I kept waiting for it to fuck up but it never really did. Maya walking out of Dr. Nick office and Moe being sad I really thought was going to be the end of Moe's story, thank god it wasn't. That last scene was sweet and not in an overly corny way, it was just nice. I liked the snake handler consistency thing too, they really are trying a bunch of call backs this season just for the fans. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Maya again, possibly in the final season Moe can get back together with her and give him some closure. They really were perfect for one another, outcasts looking for love. Maybe once Moe grows up alittle more he can contact her again.

5/5, favorite of the season
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

john frink was the writer. and what was the sex change joke, i can't remember...?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thardin View Post
    john frink was the writer. and what was the sex change joke, i can't remember...?
    At the end of the 3rd act, Dr Nick told Moe when he woke up he'd be a woman
    Apparantly that surgery was meant for Largo...

I really enjoyed this one, I thought the way they handled Moe's emotions after the breakup was great. Moe episodes always tend to work out well, and this was no exception. It's always ncie when they show his actual feelings instead of just using him as a punchline. I actually liked this better than Dumbbell Indemnity, because Moe was much more likeable in this time around. 4.5/5

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

I'll admit it: I actually did get a little teary-eyed at the end.

FANTASTIC episode. FANTASTIC. The first one of this season thus far that I have genuinely, absolutely, whole-heartedly and completely ADORED.

It got off to an amazing start, without really dithering around and getting straight to the story, allowing it to get the fully fleshed-out attention it deserved, with a surprising but very well-done Maggie subplot, even! Everything was just introduced perfectly and it was... I can't really go on and on about this so much. It was just... I really, really, really fucking loved this one.

It was cute. It was funny. Maya was absolutely adorable and I loved her introduction and the way she and Moe met and their conversations; the only thing I could have recommended there would have been to give their online conversations a little bit more energy, rather than to have Maya accept Moe like that - establish a really great rapport between them online, and then build off of that further when they meet at Moe's.

The jokes weren't distasteful or stupid or anything (I don't think any actual part of the episode were distasteful). Everything involving thebarflies was funny, from them watching Maggie adoringly (and there being a window right there was a great reveal), to Moe's imagination of what they would do with Maya, to Moe asking for advice from Lenny and Carl... All great moments.

Moe's desperation was lovely as well, and I felt like there was actually some chemistry between him and Maya, and I loved how perfectly socially adjusted Maya was and how she didn't let her height get in her way, and was able to deal very well with Moe's awkwardness in regards to her height... And I really liked the contrast between the two considering just how socially awkward Moe normally is, but even moreso when you place him and Maya side-by-side... They really just got along so well and yet Maya was quirky and adorable in her own way (the doll thing was very funny and cute).

The conflict didn't even come out of nowhere, either. I think it could have been developed a liiiittle better, but it came about pretty well regardless. And it was so, so nice to see Moe's genuine apologies to her and strong desire to try to make it up to her when Maya was upset, and they really did feel completely sincere and it was just-- he was so fucking well-portrayed throughout this episode, and I loved it so much.

I enjoyed the conclusion of the story too, and only, only felt it could have been improved upon just a little if we had seen some other aspects of Maya that didn't necessarily revolve around her shortness (we saw she was quirky and sweet, but a significant part of that stemmed from her height - there were a few moments where it wasn't drawn attention to, really, but I think there could have been just a few more to counteract that and really drive home Maya's point further). Still... I loved the sincerity the two shared with one another and was really hoping at the end that Maya could come back. Not just because earlier I thought it would have been awesome for Maya to become a semi-recurring character along the lines of Manjula (in fact, the marriage proposal surprised me), that wasn't even in my mind for this... I just really wanted the two to make up. Aaw. I don't think I've gotten this emotionally invested in a Simpsons episode in a long freaking time, and it was so nice.

A quick note on the subplot - I was not expecting it, but it was incorporated so nicely and was really well-done! It's nice to see Maggie being involved in something realistically like that, and it was really good to see that Homer wasn't being abusive or totally neglectful (I mean, to be fair even, it's not like any of parents of the other babies were there), and it was funny seeing him unintentionally coming to Maggie's rescue again and again... The DVD's ending was a surprise in which he saw what was happening, but still ended nicely. and I'm happy Homer never found out that Marge had been spying on him and that Marge was thankful and appreciative of Homer and his actions. It was a great moment between the two that showed that, yes, they still actually do love each other, amazingly enough, and it'd be nice to see moments like this a little more often. I felt there was a bit of a parallel between Homer/Marge and Moe/Maya here in regards to their relationships, especially when you compare the photobooths and then their endings, and it was played out really nicely.

And speaking of endings... I loved the kind of S1-ish callback with Moe asking Homer what the matter was (and as far as callbacks go, the snakehandler one was a nice one too!), and just how everything was going perfect for Homer and so terribly for Moe (and he did come off as really heartbroken and can I stress enough here that all of the emotion in the episode felt so real and perfect and so easy to get invested in?), and still it was able to end on an upbeat note with a very nice message from Homer that wasn't retarded in any way, shape, or form, and was even a little funny in and of itself but it was still honest and true at the same time. And Moe taking it to heart and... His depression/misery was portrayed nicely, but his becoming more upbeat when listening to Homer's advice felt real. It didn't feel like a cheap ending at all. It flowed along with the rest of the episode, fit in perfectly, and was a natural conclusion.

To sum it up: I LOVED THIS EPISODE.

And this is why. It was funny. Both plots were solid. It felt real. The characters felt real. It was down-to-earth and sincere and I felt myself emotionally invested throughout the whole episode. It was so, so, so, so good. My expectations were abnormally high, and they were met.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SimpsonFloyd View Post

Who was the writer?
    john frink. (edit: thardin's already got it, eh. sorry dude) he wrote:

"Insane Clown Poppy" (co written by Don Payne)
    "Treehouse of Horror XI" (co-written by Don Payne)
    "Bye Bye Nerdie" (co-written by Don Payne)
    "Simpsons Tall Tales" (co- written by Don Payne)
    "Treehouse of Horror XII" (co-written by Don Payne)
    "The Bart Wants What It Wants" (co-written by Don Payne)
    "The Great Louse Detective" (co-written by Don Payne)
    "Old Yeller Belly" (co-written by Don Payne)
    "The Wandering Juvie" (co-written by Don Payne)
    "Bart-Mangled Banner"
    "The Girl Who Slept Too Little"
    "The Italian Bob"
    "Stop or My Dog Will Shoot"
    "All About Lisa"
    "Lost Verizon"
    "Eeny Teeny Maya Moe"

yeah, the list is kind of a mixed bag for me with several of my favorites (lost verizon, all about lisa, the wandering juvie) and some of the ones that i did not like (the italian bob, bart-mangled banner, stop or my dog will shoot)

by the way, i loved tonight's episode. review to come later
    Last edited by sung; 04-05-2009 at 05:28 PM.

Bart had the bongo line and Lisa asked why Maggie looked bothered, bit besides that they were M.I.A.

Also, did anybody spot the blink and you'll miss it visual gag of Homer's head expanding? It was REALLY subtle and less than a second long. Made me laugh.

Moe deserves a season DVD cover.

Blog Entries

Interesting episode. Extremely solid plot in the first half, but deteriorated a bit in the second.

1. The writers seem to have a good grasp for writing "Moe episodes." They really do a great job of portraying him sympathetically, while still keeping his awkward smarminess. This episode was no exception. You can't help but to pull for a guy like Moe who is so completely unsuccessful with relationships. He was making the relationship work, but he was still Moe, with plenty of "Moe'isms" throughout.

Him comparing Maya's kiss to premium gasoline is just soooooo appropriate for Moe.

2. I'm convinced that the writers are screwing with us now. When Moe and Maya walked up to that tree, I really wondered if that was where she lives. It's not like the writers haven't done that before, right?

It's like they're teasing me with another Jockey Elves. I let out a huge sigh of relief when they walked away. It's kinda like one of those, "Don't go in there!" moments in horror movies. I need to have more faith in the writers sometimes.

3. Speaking of the fans, there was a nice obscure reference to Moe's snake handling. Fan service indeed.

4. Moe's story was really strong throughout the first two acts, but it was the unfortunate victim of a rushed ending. The marriage proposal and the breakup happened waaaaaaay too fast. I mean, Maya had to know (since Moe is proposing) that he doesn't have a problem with her height. So this hyper-sensitivity seemed thin to me, especially after only two or three jokes.

Maybe someone her size may be really sensitive about those jokes, but it wasn't like Moe was some random jackass on the street hollering at her. It just seemed like a flimsy cheat to create some drama toward the end.

5. I kinda wish they could've kept Moe and Maya together, and let Maya occasionally be seen in future episodes. Even if it would be quick visual short-joke gags. That would require over-hauling the ending to this episode, of course. I feel like the show is sometimes too obsessed with getting back to the status-quo that it makes episodes feel predictable and cheap. Toward the middle, I kept thinking, "How's this going to fall apart?" and of course, it did. And in such a flimsy manner too. Disappointing.

It's not like they had a guest star doing Maya's voice. They could use her whenever they wanted.

(Of course, if Maya/Moe stayed together, it would ruin my fanboy theory that Moe will actually end up with Selma. If you think about the attributes of the two characters, it would make so much sense.)

6. A sweet final moment to an episode? That's a rarity.

7. The Maggie subplot was okay, but there wasn't much to it. The Kearney baby was kinda disturbing to look at (muscular babies = weird) and the payoff with Homer was fine. The surveillance video was the highlight. The voiceover was clever and sounded like a real sales pitch.

8. Jokes were good. Not a gagfest, but a bit better than last week. Some good Moe'isms as mentioned above. The delivery of "Darest I click this JPEG?" was perfect. The joke about Maya at LegoLand was nice. I actually kinda liked the Crazy Cat Lady's appearance, which is rare. Maya becoming the doll was hilarious too. It's funny when the characters mess with each other like that.

There were still a few clunkers, most of which involved Homer. The limerick joke, in particular, was pretty painful.

Overall, I'll give this one a 3.5/5, rounded to 4 for the poll. It was about a 4.5/5 until the breakup in Act 3. The ending of the plot was just very underwhelming. The episode got really heavy and unfunny afterward and dragged it down. But still, plenty to be thrilled about.
    Last edited by Jims; 04-05-2009 at 05:15 PM.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post

Also, did anybody spot the blink and you'll miss it visual gag of Homer's head expanding? It was REALLY subtle and less than a second long. Made me laugh.
    Yeah I noticed that too, it reminded me of when the boob lady was blowing into his mouth in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post

I spot it and I kept wondering where it would go

I love it.

Best of the season.

5/5

Blog Entries

yay, i liked it! (completely worth the few minutes i spent drawing that picture in the first post!) season 20 has been a bit of lackluster for me but this one clearly replaces 'lost verizon' as my favorite of the season and it gets my hopes up a bit for more to come for this season

humor was really nice. there were several moments that evoked a laughter out of me and nothing went... really long (only 'long' joke that i could think of came with homer being constantly in pain by kearney's son's beatings, but i found it funny) favorite joke: maya imitating a doll to freak moe out or the sex change joke... yeah, mr. largo joke really made me laugh (it's also great that dr. nick was unexpectedly brought up again for a quack surgical stuff, i can't get enough of that) . another thing about this episode is that the tone and the atmosphere for emotion and sweetness was very, very well done. nothing felt forced... and for the first for the long time, i actually felt and symphatized for characters. i mean, with a character like moe, who is very imperfect one as several moments in the episode have proved, actually tries very hard to turn the tide for the one who loves, it is bound to be very interesting and he turned out to be very, very likable.

plot and characterization were very nice - for both of them. the pacing was great (imo, and the thing is i'm not a pacing freak at all...), nothing really ruined my taste on its progress, and overall, very fluid. i like the subplot and the aspect that marge actually got to miss the video that maggie would be suffering and watching the video that homer comes up sweet and complimenting him for it was a funny twist for it. sure, homer did not really learn a thing besides maybe learning some value of being together with his daughter, but that, the whole adventure maggie went thru, and ending to it with the twist made it up for a hell of a subplot.

for the plot, which i think was a meat and potato of this episode... it was great. again, what i liked about it was that while it strived for some change to moe's character to the sweeter side for his love for maya, it also illustrated his imperfect side, which has been with him all along the series; it makes a reason why i was not really bugged with his blunders at all. the sweetness of moe-maya relationship was actually went sweet and nothing about the episode went too particularly rushed or dragged. overall: great. i don't know if there could have been some aspects that would need some tweak. it also reminded me of the frasier episode where frasier misses having sex with an attractive psychiatrist-author due to his verbal blunder on the sofa... except that this episode had sweetness while frasier episode had more of comedic side into it

the ending, with moe's reminiscence of the relationship was very very sweet. it may have gotten me teary eyed (yeah, for the first time after i started following the new episodes since season 18)... and that's saying a lot.

overall, great episode. the best since 'lost verizon' for me and it may be on par with episodes like 'little big girl' or 'the debarted' as one of my biggest favorites of jean era... maybe i'll consider that after i give a re-watch. hail al jean A, 5/5

p.s. now, can we really say that dr. nick is fully back?

p.s. 2: yeah, i liked the 'snake handler' joke, which is a reference to 'homer the heretic'. i was actually begging his religion to be snake handling one when moe mentioned about it

yeah, i mentioned that in my original post. great gag.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

I missed the first five minutes, but what I saw was okay. I thought the end bit with Marge watching video of Homer talking to Maggie was them just trying too hard to be emotional and it just seemed unnecessary.

with a great episode title, this episode was... incredible from start to finish.

Moe is my favorite character on the show, and he had just about a perfect characterization tonight. Unlike certain recent episodes, that have a wasted beginning scene, this jumped with a humorous satire of hockey in america and the end to that scene with homer banging on the laptop was hilarious. then, we go to the maggie-homer relationship at moe's bar which had a fitting reveal to the playground. i enjoyed seeing moe's happy-self as he was cleaning his own bar. and, the introduction to maya and how she met moe was pretty great.

the way moe was sensitive with maya because she was a "little person" was a big plus for me, seeing i was expecting him to be on the jerkish side. the scene with maya and moe in her house was hilarious with her becoming a "doll".

and, there were so many gags that i was expecting to be so wrong. like when they came upon the tree, when moe was supposedly made "short" and when maya became a "doll", i thought the twist was going to be that she had some weird health problem.

the jokes were awesome, a very good storyline. and, yeah, i think this is better than "dumbbell indemnity" from season 9. HOMER"S CHARACTERIZATION WITH MAYA WAS HANDLED SO WELL!

better than "gone maggie gone" for best of the season. and, a great episode that was down-to-earth, and NOT a format bender.

Goes down as a memorable episode.

A

Blog Entries

There were some really bad gags in this episode. One of the worst was when Moe used alcohol as cologne. That scene just proved to me IMO that this show is losing touch with it's roots. It's like the characters are becoming less and less human when gags like that happen. SLH changing Maggie? I feel the writers are prepared to do anything on this show now. Also, I am starting to get a bit sick of Maggie's "super baby" characterization. It used to work well in past episodes, but I wasn't feeling it for this one. The conclusion for the Maggie subplot would have been great if it wasn't for that scene with Homer getting his ass kicked by a baby. As for the Moe/Maya main plot, I thought it was quite interesting. I was hoping that Maya would become a regular character, but Moe messes things up again. The ending was ok, but I still don't think we had to go through all that just to learn that Moe can get back in the game or whatever it was. From my perspective, I feel like Moe didn't learn anything worthwhile. He sabotaged another relationship again with his stupidity and he'll probably do it again. Nonetheless, it still was a pretty entertaining, fresh, dynamic for Moe. I enjoyed several gags like when Maya pretended to be a doll and Carl's "With your face, who cares" line. Overall, the subplot had potential but failed in execution, while the main plot is the more interesting story of this season. The gags were mixed between terrible and surprisingly good. Another average episode 3/5.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, being a sucker for the empathatic episodes, this one was....pretty good*. I liked how they kept Moe a fairly simple character and Maya was a decent character, too. Most of the jokes worked for me and I always love an ass-kicking Maggie, although the "one-punch" joke should've been something more violent, IMO.

Otherwise, the dumbest things I could spot was Homer's question for Maya and Mr. Largo's situation.

4/5.

* = Because of the drought of 'emotional/empathy' driven episodes, I'm not going to give this more credit than it deserves.

Thread Information