• 2/5

8 22.22%
  • 1/5

19 52.78%

Thread: Rate/Review Family Guy: Not All Dogs Go to Heaven

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Junior Camper

Rate/Review Family Guy: Not All Dogs Go to Heaven

Meg becomes a born-again Christian and tries to convert Brian from atheism. Meanwhile, Stewie is furious he doesn't get to ask the cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation any questions at a convention, so he kidnaps the cast and forces them to hang out with him.

aired March 29, 2009

Rate/review here!

I gotta say, after watching this episode, I thought it was much worse than that conway twitty ep. Godawful. Brians argument at the end of the ep was one of the laziest, piss-poor excuse for a "revelation." Did Seth and co. spend just ten minutes writting this show? In fact, they would have saved a lot of time by just show Seth on the show, announcing he was an athiest.

Not that there's anything wrong with being an athiest mind you, its just that the show wasn't funny in any sense of the word. 1/5
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sovereign View Post
    Still got free cheese :gatorshrug:

Blog Entries

Patrick Stewart was about the only good thing about this episode. When Peter told the audience they could change the channel and no one would blame them, I almost took him up on his advice.

Blog Entries

The only good cartoon reunion of a Star Trek cast has already been done,(Futurama) .. this one cant wave a stick near it. 2/5

The main plot sounded interesting, but they obviously didn't do enough with it that would've made me enjoy it more. Wasn't Meg being "ugly" and unappreciated the whole reason she became a fanatic? There also should've been more to Brian's atheism than his being the mouthpiece for Seth MacFarlane.

The subplot was pretty funny, and actually gave Stewie something better to do than his back-and-forth gay crap. The ending was terribly funny.

This is actually more of a 3.5/5, but I gave it a solid 4, because this is still the best episode we've gotten in months. And in the one such instance, Peter wanted us to change the channel. :fail:

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

This is exactly the kind of religion episode I expect from Family Guy--one-sided exaggerations and strawmen for whatever Seth's against, and extremely simplistic and limited arguments for whatever he's for. Spoken through the dog, of course. The coverage of religion just plain wasn't funny, and the kind of drawn-out, "edgy" humor that's fueled the show's smugness for years. Being an atheist is fine, but it's obvious that whoever wrote this is missing even the most basic arguments for organized religion--someone should sit down and talk with a theologian. I should've taken Peter's advice in changing the channel (best joke of the episode, I'd say) since the second half of the show was much worse than the first.

Stewie's subplot was boring, although I did like the early joke of the Star Trek fans asking the cast for advice.

1.5/5, was generous and voted 2.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Ya I thought the star trek part was the best. Even stewie's line right at the start of the episode when they walked in, although I don't remember what he said. Of course, it took a spectacular plunge after that.

1/5

just...bad

don't know, i missed something original about this story plot, all been done a way better in a way already. Could also been funnier imo

2/5

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away ..."

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    This is exactly the kind of religion episode I expect from Family Guy--one-sided exaggerations and strawmen for whatever Seth's against, and extremely simplistic and limited arguments for whatever he's for.
    Oh, absolutely.

Maybe it's because I don't watch Family Guy (at all) and I pretty much just tuned in for the grauituous Star Trek reunion, but I rather liked this episode. The satire was bludgeoningly on the nose in places (ok all the time) but I thought there were plenty of genuinely funny jokes - the rather tasteless remark Peter makes to William Shatner, his suggestion they change the channel, quite a bit of the stuff with the Star Trek cast.

The A-plot was at least still about Meg, who I find generally to be Family Guy's funniest character (which, admittedly, says something about the low doldrums I hold the series).

Some random jokes didn't work (shampoo, planes) but that's par for the course for Family Guy; though I personally thought the God/Flash Gordon bit was mildly amusing.

So, yeah, thumbs up from me to a show I quite often actively loathe. Now I will resume never watching this show again.
    Last edited by Samurai Frasier Crane; 04-08-2009 at 04:53 AM.

I thought this was one of the better episodes of late, to be honest. It wasn't hysterical or anything but I enjoyed the Star Trek convention, Patrick's mistreatment of Will Wheaton, the whole drive-thru scene, and some of the blatant religion bashing (not everything needs to be super subtle to make me laugh of course - like burning "Logic for 1st Graders").
    Signature.

Blog Entries

i only watched this because of the tng cast, which was mostly used for that "characters talking about minutiae" shtick family guy has done to death

rest of episode was the regular gamut of forced lines, bad gags, and heavyhanded arguments. still, it is interesting to see a mainstream network show tackle religion in a straightforward manner instead of skirting around it

I don't know if anybody else notice but the episode was pulled from Hulu for at least two weeks due to a legal issue, it returned today and the William Shanter scene has been removed.

the original Sex Pistol

I still asked myself why I watched it. I hate Family Guy, but I wanted to give it another chance. This episode proved that no one who thinks he has a brain should watch this show, this was just total bullcrap.

Oh, btw 1/5.

i wonder if this will fit the

eh..some of the star trek cast were entertaining, and i enjoyed "logic for first graders". but they end the episode with a completely retarded answer from brian i've come to expect from family guy.

2/5 cause of the star trek cast

I did like the beginning as well when they were at the comic convention, but the episode was kind of boring nothing really interesting except for a few gags like when Stewie and the Trek cast were at the drive through and when Meg was watching the religion channel. I really liked the ending though so that kind of saved my rating. I gave it a 3/5 overall
    Thanks for the awesome times King of the Hill!

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thardin View Post
    2/5 cause of the star trek cast
    definitely, the main plot, and epecially the ending, was complete shit
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

if comic book guy ever watched family guy. (which he would never) he would say
    "Worst episode EVER!"

Futurama was the only show to ever have a good episode with the whole ST cast and most the jokes in that weren't that impressive either.

The main plot with the daughter trying to covert the dog was retarded. It shows that Seth Mcfarland is extremely one sided and has no idea what the christian religion is about. Instead he makes shit reasons why it is ok to be a non-believer. Obviously it shows that he is a retard and doesn't put any thought into saying why there is no god.

This is to Mcfarland: You can go fuck yourself for convincing 15 year old Family Guy
    fan-boys that I am nothing but a retarded christian.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    This is exactly the kind of religion episode I expect from Family Guy--one-sided exaggerations and strawmen for whatever Seth's against, and extremely simplistic and limited arguments for whatever he's for. Spoken through the dog, of course. The coverage of religion just plain wasn't funny, and the kind of drawn-out, "edgy" humor that's fueled the show's smugness for years. Being an atheist is fine, but it's obvious that whoever wrote this is missing even the most basic arguments for organized religion--someone should sit down and talk with a theologian. I should've taken Peter's advice in changing the channel (best joke of the episode, I'd say) since the second half of the show was much worse than the first.
    Pretty much another reason why I hate Family Guy so much: it shows that it's one of those "crummy shows" that Al Jean stated in the commentary for "Itchy & Scratchy & Marge" that will not only do a theme, but pick the side that has the least difficulty of understanding in the point of view of the people who wrote it. I mean, Seth McFarlane is an athiest, and Brian is the character that speaks his beliefs on stuff, but I hate the fact that the episode states that anyone who is religious is a horrible person. Also, the episode slants in the point of view to athiests by having them give out thoughts you would expect them to say while making the point of view for Christians (or, to the extent, all religions) as exaggarations of what the writer dislikes.

While I may be happy to see that Meg got an A-plot, bear in mind that she was presented as unlikable as possible due to them having her represent Christianity, which continues the "Meg-bashing" that the writers seem to enjoy.

Also, the usage of "the Next Generation" cast was probably for the sake of featuring them, and that was it.

Of course, this has the best joke ever from that show in which Peter tells people to change the channel. I already do that when 9 P.M. rolls around.

Banned
    Blog Entries

the forced atheist message is so hilariously bad that you can't help but feel bad for everyone involved. 0/5.

Junior Camper

As a Star Trek fan, I was offended by this episode!

The A plot is typical topical Family Guy. The show presents one side (in this case, the atheism) in a god-like presence via simple arguments, but presents the other side (religion, especially christianity) as a bunch of exaggerated slimeballs. Meg abuse for the sake of Meg abuse. I know that New England is largely catholic, but they would NOT react this way to Brian being an atheist. Then again, it is Quahog. Brian comes off as a douche because he does not confront the anti-athiest bigotry via rational argument, but rather, freaking lying because he can not get booze. Maybe, this episode would have been decent if it was Brain realizing peaceful coexistence, and maybe even getting some hope for his alcoholism.

Brian's rant at the end was pretty low, but it was still not the worst part of the episode. It just proved to me that Brian was just as much of a douche as Peter and Lois, but unlike Peter and Lois, where they at least pretend to acknowledge as terrible parents, Brian is treated as the moral compass. I hereby dub Brian "Sir Brian Griffin, Gary Stu of the MacFarlane empire".

I was LIVID over the TNG portions of the episode. The Visor joke? Stupid. The Shatner joke? Horrendous. The cast were so out of character and so underused that I actually wanted to go into the TV and punch Macfarlane. Why were they acting so childish and selfish? The TNG cast are not this stupid! They could have done so much with the cast and crew interacting with Stewie. But NO! We had to spend more time spewing MacFarlane's viewpoints. Great!

This is the second weakest of the 7th season ("Baby not on Board" beats this episode in terms of badness).

1/5.

Thread Information