View Poll Results: How would you rate LABF05?

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 I'd say that Les Whinen ought to do more thinking and less whining!

22 13.10%
  • 4 That was a perfectly plotted piece of non-claptrap that never made me want to retch!

51 30.36%
  • 3 Lisa, you don't spend ten years as a homicicdal maniac without learning something about dynamite.

50 29.76%
  • 2 Attempted murder, now honestly, what is that? Do they give a Nobel Prize for attempted chemistry?

28 16.67%
  • 1 Oh i'll stay away alright STAY AWAY FOR EVER!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

17 10.12%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: R/R "Wedding For Disaster" (LABF05)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

R/R "Wedding For Disaster" (LABF05)

When Homer and Marge’s marriage turns out to be invalid because Reverend Lovejoy was not licensed at the time, Homer asks Marge to marry him again. But when Homer mysteriously disappears on their wedding day, Bart and Lisa search for answers and are led on a cryptic trail of clues, leading them to Sideshow Bob (Kelsey Grammer). Meanwhile, Homer finds himself chained to a pipe in a dark room. When a mysterious voice tells him that the key to unlock his chains is inside a lollipop, he frantically eats it only to discover the lollipop is made of fiery hot sauce and he is tormented as Bart and Lisa race to save him.
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

I Just Want My Kids Back EthanRunt's Avatar

Really?
    Lovejoy was licensed by their second wedding, god I hope they have a good way of getting out of it, sounds terrible.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

This seems premature....
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

Edit: Okay, so they would have let it go for this long? Come on.
    Last edited by lakme; 03-29-2009 at 04:09 PM.
    Houston, we have a problem.. a SEXY problem!

Well, not quite a Sideshow Bob episode.

I enjoyed it anyway, although I saw the Selma reveal coming.
    Signature.

I don't know, I don't think Selma and Patty are THAT evil. Kidnapping and torturing him? That's pretty bad.

A pioneer against horseplay Screaming Editor's Avatar

thought it was pretty good.
    Anybody else think that the whole wedding plot was stricking similar to Sex and the City the movie? (i doubt anyone else noticed)
    I liked it, but it was weird seeing Sideshow Bob in such a small role.
    4/5

Junior Camper

Maybe, I'm just in a great mood, but I absolutely LOVED this episode. Everything about it, I thought it was original, sweet, and hilarious. I really believe this will go down as one of my favorite episodes. I know people are going to complain that the Saw aspect is timed a bit weird, but come on people. This was some quality simpsons programming.

That being said, do you guys ever read IGN reviews? Someone needs to fire that guy. Every week he rates The Simpsons lower than Family Guy, American Dad, and pretty much ever reality show out there. It disgusts me. Sorry, had to vent.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There wasn't anything really bad about this, but there wasn't anything to make it interssting either. The only part that made me want to keep watching was the scenes between Lovejoy and the Parson.

And Harold Schifler!? WTF?

2/5

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I liked it alot, really refreshing a new funny take on Homer and Marge Marriage Crisis Mania, I really enjoyed it, I felt the ending was a bit week, but other then that it was great!

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Fun episode! I laughed when a CBG couch gag preceded a lengthy Reverand Lovejoy act 1 (with NoHomers member Reverand Lovejoy on my mind). Act 1 had a very classic era feeling, believable, slower paced and dialogue heavy. Act 2 featuring the bridezilla was pretty funny and believable as Marge finally gets her true traditional wedding. Act 3&4 were wacky but the Saw fan in me loved it, glad Bob wasn't the focus but rather just another secondary character. Rocket ship cake and King Homer made this episode a solid 4.5/5
    UP AND ATOM!

the episode was very weak. most of the jokes failed imo, the selma reveal was decent. it took forever to get into the episode, the saw aspect only beginning in act three. direction was good, animation wasn't spectacular. the ending was decent. i enjoyed the return of king kong homer. that was a good joke.

one joke i particularly didn't like was "that means i'll never be born!", which was recycled from the s13 ep "half-decent proposal".

2/5.

Well, that was a twist of sorts!

I liked the fact that Selma was responsible for taking Homer hostage, given the fact that she and Patty have always hated Homer. But there were some things that I didn't exactly like:

-Apparently Homer and Marge were "divorced" from seasons 8 through 20?
    -Only 3 months past between "A Milhouse Divided" and this episode? That would mean Kirk and Luanne would have divorced, then remarried within 3 months! That makes no sense, unless you accept the fact that the show uses a floating timeline where characters don't age.
    -Sideshow Bob is somehow out of prison after the events that occurred in "Funeral For a Fiend?" I did, however, like the fact that he and Krusty are still good friends. But he was limited to a small cameo? I was hoping for an all-out Sideshow Bob episode!
    -There's apparently another Kwik-E-Mart in Springfield? Come on now!

So apparently more stuff happened in A Milhouse Divided than we saw, thanks to Marge's photo album. Apu sleeping with Selma would make sense, since it was BEFORE he married Manjula. Speaking of Manjula, she had a speaking role but wasn't voiced by Jan Hooks?

I voted 3/5, but it's really more of a 3.5/5 for me. There just didn't seem to be a constant flow to the episode. I would have preferred to have Bart and Lisa tell Marge that Selma kidnapped Homer, and the ending where they got married "for real" in a courthouse didn't go with me. I would have preferred the "church" wedding at the end for a happy-ending touch.

Overall: B-

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ramier Wolfcastle
    -Sideshow Bob is somehow out of prison after the events that occurred in "Funeral For a Fiend?"
    there was a bit in 'sex, pies, and idiot scrapes' where bob jumped out of the springfield prison, i guess this episode folllowed up to it.

Oh, okay. So I'm guessing there will be a future episode that focuses on Bob's "escape" from prison? And possibly his "true" revenge on the Simpson family?

4/5, solid episode all-around, probably my favourite episode of the season so far.
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Mostly middle of the road. This episode had some issues with humor--there were barely any laughs! I thought the storyline--although it had some holes (like why didn't Lisa and Bart immediately tell Marge that something happened to Homer instead of letting her feel unloved?)--was actually pretty interesting, and the Selma plot twist was pretty clever. The ending was good too, but I'm sick of plot threads being abandoned mid-episode (this week's, we never finish Lovejoy's).

Would've been quite a good episode if only it was a lot funnier, but all the story aspects--Lovejoy's actions being void, wedding planning, lighthearted torture--weren't nearly as funny as they could've/should've been.

3/5 C+
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    And Harold Schifler!? WTF?
    I HATE lines like this. Why do they have these throwaway lines with a lot of weight to them, especially when they aren't even funny? I know we aren't supposed to take quick lines like that seriously, but...come on. It's just reaching for shock value and comes across as really forced (and it's gotten pretty hackneyed as well).
    My Nintendo webcomic,

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

... What?

I'm not sure. I mean, first it was good, and the first two acts flowed nicely and were very entertaining. They were sweet and I was enjoying them and desperately hoping that the whole kidnap/torture plot wasn't actually going to happen and it was just something that got snuck into the promo for no real reason. ... And then it happened and that whole part of an episode was a gigantic mess of what the fuck, and then that aprt ended and the episode stopped sucking.

I don't get why they had to sully what was shaping up to a be a pretty good, entertaining, and sweet episode into a retarded wacky third act. So they built it up so that it would look, to Marge, like Homer had left her, when the audience knows that isn't the case... What is the point of that? It would have been better if, with Homer's worries (I mean, if we were going to know that it wasn't his fault for leaving, why did we even get the scene of Homer questioning Marge's attitude right before the wedding started?), he actually did ditch of his own accord and maybe... I don't know, he could have tried something like hiding out at Barney's for a few days or something. Because of the whole kidnapping thing was to show Homer that he still did value his family, well, under something like torture (and what half-assed torture it was... If you're going to go for it, then go all the way. Instead it came off as a cheap, stupid, half-assed and improperly placed parody), he could have come to the exact same conclusion - of his own free will! - after spending a few days in the company of nobody but the barflies and seeing that a life like Barney's isn't something desirable, even in his own hedonistic ways. He could have gone back to the house, Marge could have seen him and rather than continue to act like a bitch (and I will say here that I thought that was actually very well played and completely in character for her. Marge isn't used to actually getting what she wants, so for her to go completely overboard in her demands, alongside a repressed dream of a perfect wedding for so many years, made sense), because she'd have had a few days to reflect on her attitude as well (alongside maybe the kids even lecturing her for a change - we've seen them lecture Homer, we've seen things be Homer's fault, so for something to actually be MARGE'S fault for a change would have been great, and this was a good, squandered opportunity for that flip), and she could see Homer coming back and lovingly emrbace him and apologize or something, and Homer would profess his own love for her too and how he knows that this is the life he wants and should be having, and it may have been a more standard, less creative direction for the episode to take, but on the other hand, it would have been far, far, far, far less retarded. Because the kidnapping plot was pretty freaking retarded.

What was the point of bringing Bob back? ... Why is he even out of prison? I didn't get that. It just further clunked the episode up. I mean, his hanging out with Krusty was a little amusing, but it wasn't worth it because the whole thing made no sense.

I mean, I've been ragging on this episode for the one aspect of it, and that's the one aspect of it that actually sucked. The rest of it was pretty good! The stuff with Lovejoy at the beginning was good, solid, funny. Seeing Homer and Marge try to plan their wedding was something very down-to-earth, natural, and entertaining on its own to watch. And once the idiotic kidnapping stuff was over with, seeing Homer and Marge wind down and get a decent enough wedding after all was good as well (albeit it was short).

But jesus, the whole kidnap/torture aspect of the episode really fucking sunk it. I know that Patty and Selma kind of suck, but that's what they're like. They kind of suck. They're bitches to Homer because they see their little sister, in their eyes, wasting her life with him and not getting the life they think she should have gotten. In that sense, their hatred of Homer and their being jerks to him makes sense. That's the key difference. Being jerks. In this they were just being flat-out evil cunts, and I get we aren't necessarily supposed to like Patty and Selma, but I don't think we're supposed to outright hate them, either (otherwise, why give episodes like A Fish Called Selma and Goo Goo Gai Pain?). Very wonky, inappropriate, and just downright hateful and uncomfortable characterization cheaply fixed with a much too obvious Homer wedding vow.

I mean, I listed earlier how I would've preferred to see the episode play out, and yes, it is more predictable then the kidnapping route. ... But then to get out of the kidnapping plot, they used a predictable method. So what the fuck was the point of it in the first place? Seriously. I don't get it. I just don't.

Overall! Take out everything involving Marge's sisters and Sideshow Bob, and this episode was fantastic. Looking only at the stuff involving Marge's sisters and Sideshow Bob, the episode was total shit. Putting the two together, overall, it was okay.

Woohoo! First review! Too bad it was for this ep, seeing that I thought it paled in comparison to the last few episodes or so. I, like some of the rest of you, thought and was expecting more of sideshow bob. This episode seemed to be traveling the speed of light, it felt like they tried to put too much into one episode. 2/5 for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sovereign View Post
    Still got free cheese :gatorshrug:

what was the harold schifler joke? i don't recall it.

Blog Entries

Well, to get the negative out of the way, it wasn't a Sideshow Bob episode.

Now for the positives--everything else! It was smart, funny, and a great comment on how women "micro-manage" weddings. Patty and Selma really are evil bitches! While this wasn't the most quotable of episodes, in the flow it had some nice humor.

Also, even though I was hoping for more Bob, I kind of like how it kept the continuity of Bob and Krusty making up in "Day of the Jackanapes" and, hell, who knows, maybe Bob will kind of blend in with Springfield now, like have Kelsey Grammer do the voice for a bunch of episodes at once like Phil Hartman used to do for Hutz and McClure. Although I hope he tries to murder Bart again soon!

Hey, Reverend Lovejoy, how do you feel about Helen apparantly having been a man?

Anyway, 5/5, A, bordering on an A+ but not quite...
    Last edited by hughes; 03-29-2009 at 05:04 PM.

Blog Entries

It was really good. I really like the way the episode flowed with a perfect conclusion. I liked that they didn't spend too much time on Bart and Lisa looking for clues and that it wasn't actually Sideshow Bob. This episode also had good laughs. The beginning was a little boring (IMO), but it's not bad either. 5/5

Oh, and Patty and Selma also tried to kill Homer in Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind. I just thought I would point that out to people who were suprised that they could be this evil.
    Last edited by D'ohmer; 06-20-2009 at 05:55 AM.

Blog Entries

not much of sideshow bob episode nor really much of 'mystery' episode since the only 'cryptic trails of clues' was the 'sb' key and maybe homer's rambling after he came back. i think the better premise that would've been more accurate to present about would be... something to emphasize the couple's emotion towards the wedding and each other and several bits on the disappearance of homer, but whatever

humor was... average. nothing really made me laugh or anything but none were really cringeworthy (wait, so helen lovejoy used to be a man? sigh. i don't think birth of jessica would've been possible if so, but ) this time however, i thought there were at least a bit of tension during the conflict due to the context of the situation before (and maybe after) the reveal of the bouviers. several scenes felt dragged on with not much of 'exciting' elements in the writing and so forth... (selma/patty laugh in the end of act 3 took forever, for example) well, just your average jean era humor i guess. best joke: homer mistakening reverend lovejoy as pizza man and thinking that lovejoy forgot the pizza or something like that

for characterization/plot... well, it seemed to me that marge's sentiment was kind of rushed from the beginning of the wedding plan to the wedding day. several aspects that i do understand is that the wedding means a lot some people (then again, she was very appreciative to the very cheap wedding in 'i married marge') and i do know the feeling of actually being bombarded with a great wants or luxuries coming true - which can really make a person very anal-retentive about - so i guess that aspect was very understandable. homer was actually a bit likable and i do indeed like the aspect of him being committed for the best of his family. however, one thing that i did not like was... well, i do understand patty & selma do hate homer and i do think that there were hints in the past that illustrated their wants to separate homer and marge apart, but just like pushing homer off the bridge in 'eternal moonshine of simpson mind', this was extreme. i mean, they can be mean and make some snarly remarks, but i did not like them going out on this... big and extreme style. it would've made more sense if sideshow bob was actual person to be culpable of, but i guess he was left out just for an aspect of the mystery shown for a bit of suspense (which did not really get to me, mostly because i knew some bits of the episode before watching, i guess). stuff like this made patty & selma's eventual regret feel forced and it might have impacted a bit in the ending also. it did make sense in some context, but i think it was just too much just to get down the saw parody and several mysterious material for conflict.

overall... well, i'm thinking of average (for jean era standard) right now. it's not bad, but did not impress me or anything really struck to me. i'm thinking... C? it might either go up or down a bit after a rewatch but i dunno

btw, i am sure reverend lovejoy (the member) will like the first act of the episode whole lot, but i'm not sure about the one particular joke...
    calmer than you are

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
    (wait, so helen lovejoy used to be a man? sigh. i don't think birth of jessica would've been possible if so, but )
    I actually read something somewhere about this very thing happening...wish I could remember where

Oh wait, no I don't!

i have to admit, kind of disappointed that there wasn't much of sideshow bob. and, this episode seemed disorganized and the beginning marriage parts has nothing great about them.

But, I think the episode started to pick-up when homer had been kidnapped. originally, when they went to selma bouvier, i thought it was just a trick, and it was going to end up to be sideshow bob. so, yeah, i was fooled.

i need to rewatch this soon, to get a better grasp and understanding of the episode but for now I'll give "Wedding for Disaster" a grade of a C+

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

What was the Helen being a man joke? I missed it. (the joke, not the episode)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    What was the Helen being a man joke? I missed it. (the joke, not the episode)
    there was a bit where parson guy reminisced the past and he blurted out that he remembered helen being 'harold schifler' (spelling) in the past, which caught lovejoy's brief attention
    Last edited by sung; 03-29-2009 at 05:30 PM.

Blog Entries

Now that I think of it, he seemed remarkably unperturbed!!!

so that was the joke? wow, that's...not that funny.

Blog Entries

2/5 Patty and Selma dislike Homer, but cmon. This epidode started out well with Lovejoy and the idea that he wasn't a licensed reverend, and the fact that Homer and Marge were technically still divorced. The last 2 acts however, was handled terribly. I was hoping for a more reasonable enemy of Homer's to do that to him. In fact the whole saw idea was shit from the start. Overall, this episode started out pretty decent and then turned into one big mess. The gags were hit and miss.
    Last edited by lionelhutz123; 08-04-2010 at 05:55 PM.

Thread Information