View Poll Results: How heroic was this episode?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 Professor Chaos

10 23.26%
  • 4/5 Mysterion

24 55.81%
  • 3/5 The Coon

8 18.60%
  • 2/5 General Disarray

1 2.33%
  • 1/5 Eric Cartman

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review South Park: "The Coon"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Rate/Review South Park: "The Coon"

Cartman dons a disguise and fights "crime" in South Park, but when a mysterious new hero appears on the scene, The Coon must try his hardest to deduce who it is.

Rate/review here!
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Hey, west-coasters, I just found out something ultra-cool! Not only does Comedy Central HD air South Park in high-definition, but it also airs it one hour earlier!

Anyways, to the episode: it was pretty damn funny, but also pretty FUCKING FRUSTRATING. For a second there, I was worried it would draw into two parts, but alas no. Actually, it might have worked a little better there, since it was a bit rushed. (I'm sure they'd have Randy as the biggest member of the Mysterion fan club if it were 44 minutes) But Professor Chaos, references to Ginger Kids and Dark Knight (as well as a bit of Watchmen), and I laughed pretty hard at Cartman's heroics in the park. Of course, it was little obvious Mysterion was CLYDE (classroom scene in the beginning gave it away), but I'm not sure choosing to never reveal it was a good choice. Yeah, the plain face joke was hysterical, but damn...I'll never know for sure.

4/5

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Where is everyone tonight? I mean, hell, the only download I could find was an .mp4.

It was an alright episode, but I'm afraid that if I'd never seen TDK before or anything, I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much. Out of all the shows I watch it seems that South Park is the one that most commonly has this problem when it comes to parodies, anyway.

I'm with Homer5000 on Mysterion's reveal. On one hand, the joke was great, but on the other hand, it just doesn't... work as well, for some reason? Really, I'm not sure. Having him say something after revealing himself might have worked. Just leading him off... I'm not sure, but for some reason, it didn't feel too SP-like to me.

But! Absolutely delightful to see Professor Chaos, and the gags showing just how completely opposite Butters is from the Joker were great. Really it was fantastic and definitely the highlight of the episode to see him and General Disarray again, so that worked out perfectly.

There were some pretty great camera shots in this one too, but ultimately, it did feel a liiiittle hollow.

Seeing Professor Chaos was my biggest hope for the episode, and that was fulfilled. Heck, he was probably the best part of the episode. (When was his last appearance? Season 8?) Sure, the Cartman parts were funny, but parodies like this are pretty much par for the course as far as South Park goes. Though I liked how the "reveal" was handled at the end. You knew they were going to do some sort of screw-the-audience gag, but this one was handled well enough without pissing me off too much.
    Season 21:
    Homer the Whopper: C, Bart Gets a Z: C+, The Great Wife Hope: B-, Treehouse of Horror XX: B, The Devil Wears Nada: C-, Pranks & Greens: C, Rednecks & Broomsticks: D+, O Brother, Where Bart Thou?: B, Thursdays With Abie: D, Once Upon a Time in Springfield: C+, Million Dollar Maybe: C-

Quote Originally Posted by Sprocketeer View Post
    Seeing Professor Chaos was my biggest hope for the episode, and that was fulfilled. Heck, he was probably the best part of the episode. (When was his last appearance? Season 8?)
    Go God Go was Professor Chaos last official appearance, which was about two and a half years ago (DAMN, the years go by)...

I thought the reveal was the best part of the episode. The crowd reaction was great.

Enjoyed it very much, the use of the ridiculous voices while in costume was great and yeah, I agree with Cole, I loved the reveal. I was expecting them to April Fool's it and just cut to black before that, but at least we got a little more than that. Professor Chaos appearance made me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    I thought the reveal was the best part of the episode. The crowd reaction was great.

Stolen for the Marvel " Civil War " 2 years ago word for word

Quote Originally Posted by homer5000 View Post
    HOf course, it was little obvious Mysterion was CLYDE (classroom scene in the beginning gave it away)
    I just watched it and I really have to disagree with this. It seemed way too subtle, it was more Cartman trying to keep him awake because he wanted to make sure EVERYONE was going to pay attention to the Coon than Matt and Trey dropping hints.

the original Sex Pistol

Yeah, it was pretty funny, but a little worse than the premiere. I give it a B- or a 4/5.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Pete View Post
    Stolen for the Marvel " Civil War " 2 years ago word for word
    i really liked that actually

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away ..."

this episode worked very well on the whole, it wasnt over the top, there was a nice pace to the storyline aswell as some inspired moments (leprechaun alabama parody, the identity ending). so yeh, this was by no means a classic but it was good fun, felt like a south park episode of old. 4/5

Blog Entries

This episode was awesome! Cartman was top notch as the coon. held my attention from start to finish. loved the animation. 5/5

I actually thought and was hoping for Mysterion to be Kenny. Seeing as how Cartman and Kenny have almost never had any moments together, it would have been quite interesting to see them facing off, even though it really wouldn't have been fitting for Kenny's character to be a vigilante. It also made sense since Kenny didn't respond at all when Cartman was questioning him at the bus stop and he was the first one to be seen with a Mysterion picture in his locker. And, as always, seeing Kenny outside of his parka and hearing him speak would have been a sweet deal, too.

What do you think they put in the Bug Juice?
    Bugs?
    No they don't. Come on...shut up.

i wonder if this will fit the

considering where the leprechaun video was reported from is 10 miles from my house, i say my friends and i really enjoyed that gag.

great animation last night as well. kinda flat on jokes sometimes, however, the dark knight references were great, and professer chaos brought this episode to a 4/5

I was happy to see Professor Chaos, as well.
    The reveal was really good, and it was fun to see Cartman get all pissed off and whiny in his costume.

You guys are clueless. The real star of the show was clearly General Disarray. Very underrated super villain

planning a meet up Nerd Groupie's Avatar

Better than last week, that's for sure. I had to laugh at the dark-comic-movie references. Cartman getting so frustrated is usually pretty great. Professor Chaos and General Disarray returning made me smile. The reveal was pretty clever. Though something seemed to be off, maybe missing. I can't quite put my finger on it. But as I said, at least it was better than last week's.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    hahaha sometimes i really love you elena. you are a magnificent hater

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Groupie View Post
    Better than last week, that's for sure. I had to laugh at the dark-comic-movie references. Cartman getting so frustrated is usually pretty great. Professor Chaos and General Disarray returning made me smile. The reveal was pretty clever. Though something seemed to be off, maybe missing. I can't quite put my finger on it. But as I said, at least it was better than last week's.
    Why didn't we ever fuck?

4/5, by the way.

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

"I got a shot at Professor Chaos"

"Do you really think your bullets can hurt him?"
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Nothin' wrong with that!

Quote Originally Posted by E-I-E-I-Moe View Post
    I actually thought and was hoping for Mysterion to be Kenny. Seeing as how Cartman and Kenny have almost never had any moments together, it would have been quite interesting to see them facing off, even though it really wouldn't have been fitting for Kenny's character to be a vigilante. It also made sense since Kenny didn't respond at all when Cartman was questioning him at the bus stop and he was the first one to be seen with a Mysterion picture in his locker. And, as always, seeing Kenny outside of his parka and hearing him speak would have been a sweet deal, too.
    Yeah, I was thinking it was Kenny the whole way through. Obviously they're not going to say because it doesn't really matter, but I'm still going with that. I almost expected an "Oh my god, they killed Mysterion!"

Ehh..

...?

I really enjoyed this one. Cartman's frustration at the Coon not being popular was great, and the superhero movie parodies were fun. And Professor Chaos is always funny.
    Loved the ending too.
    5/5

pretty much agree with most of the people here. last week's episode was a turd and this was miles better, and had me actually laughing at times. the reveal was great. good episode

Blog Entries

Never had me laughing, but a thoroughly entertaining episode. "Do you think your bullets can hurt him?"

4/5 Was expecting more racist jokes, but the subtlety of the name was amusing enough.

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

It felt kind of thin and less potent and satisfying compared to the best SP episodes, but it was pretty fun. 3/5
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

A good episode, but I feel that the show has been pretty light on laughs over the past few years. It's not that the jokes have gotten WORSE so much as that there're less of them. That and...I dunno, something about the insults and the delivery is a tad different now. When Cartman swears nowadays, it doesn't really have the humor as when he was flinging profane insults with his buddies a decade ago.

My complaint about the show often feeling "light" aside, I thought this was a fun episode. Mysterion was an interesting and fun to watch character (and I actually really liked the design, a rarity for this show), and Cartman's increasing frustration was pretty good too. I also liked all the new angles and direction the show took--worked well within the genre they were going for. Professor Chaos made the second half better than the first.

Anyone notice this episode had a lot less blood and a lot more swearing than usual?

To tell the truth, I think Matt and Trey HAVE decided on what kid Mysterion is, and there are quite a few clues you can use throughout the show to eliminate certain kids (like Cartman, Butters, Kyle, and using lines like Cartman's "I already said your name!" and perhaps even Butters' wall, it might be possible to narrow it down to two or three). Clyde was sleepy in Cartman's presentation, leading some viewers to think it was Clyde...but since we didn't hear about him earlier, I think Mysterion only showed up AFTER Cartman talked about his alter-ego, so that wouldn't make sense.

I don't think this will be brought up again though, even as a throwaway joke. But we'll see.

B 4/5

Blog Entries

Bart Simpson is Mysterion.

This episode was a lot better than last week's. I haven't even seen The Dark Knight, and it was still pretty entertaining. It's not among the top tier of South Park episodes, by any means but it's good. I enjoyed the "do you really think your bullets can hurt him" line, General Disarray beating Cartman was fun, and the various times people insulted Cartman unintentionally were great.

planning a meet up Nerd Groupie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gravymaster View Post
    Why didn't we ever fuck?

4/5, by the way.
    You felt the need to work for beer instead of party in NYC

I didn't hate last week's episode but still felt this week's was miles ahead of it. I was expecting them to push the boundaries of politcal correctness and taste given the name but I was pleasantly surprised they didn't as that would've been a bit too obvious. I loved the parodies of the "dark and gritty" approach to comic book films and action films in general and Cartman's frustration was indeed one of the funnier parts of the episode.

Seems a fair few people feel the same way I do about the reveal, it was clever and a nice joke at their own expense but kind of a letdown at the same time as we're left to speculate. If Clyde falling asleep in class was a clue then it certainly went over my head until now, it's a pretty sound theory. Loved the cameo by Professor Chaos and the occasional lapses into Butters' meeker personality as well as Cartman also breaking character while in disguise when frustration got the better of him. I'll actually go ahead and give this one 5/5.
    "How could this have happened?
    We started out like Romeo & Juliet but it ended up in tragedy..."
    - Milhouse Van Houten

King of the Rock Bottom The Sovereign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Every city needs a Coon

Thread Information