View Poll Results: irish related question

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 - Alcohol is a way of life, alcohol is *my* way of life and I plan to keep it!

11 6.88%
  • 4/5 - I'll use my one phone call to tell you all about it!

40 25.00%
  • 3/5 - I welcome you to Springfield's first booze-free St. Patrick's Day!

59 36.88%
  • 2/5 - "This was such a pleasant St. Patrick's Day until Irish people showed up."

31 19.38%
  • 1/5 - "Look, they even turned the river green!" "Actually, my nuclear plant did that."

19 11.88%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: R/R "In the Name of the Grandfather" (LABF11)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

R/R "In the Name of the Grandfather" (LABF11)

Premieres in the United Kingdom/Ireland on Sky1 7:30pm tonight; will premiere in the United States on March 22

The Simpson family travels to Ireland to take Grandpa to have one last beer at his beloved O’Flanagan’s Pub in Dunkilderry. Homer and Grandpa ultimately buy the pub, and they are left with trying to bring the bar back to life amidst an ultra-hip, hardworking and sober Irish town. With a little help from Moe, they find the perfect scheme to bring the pub back to life and put “Simpson & Son” on the map.
    Season 27 Ratings
    Awful, probably

Blog Entries

Okay, so are the Brits harder on the show or easier? Or easier way of figuring this out, which country is Gatorgod from?...
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Stonecutter

It started really well, with some great gags, but I felt there was no where near enough time spent on the Homer/Grampa plot. So plot wise, not too great. However this episode was way above average for jokes. Characterizations were decent as well. All in all, a pretty decent episode. More thoughts later. 3.5/5
    Last edited by Drunk Barney; 03-17-2009 at 02:16 PM.

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

Ha, it's nice to be one of the first to comment on a new episode! Shame it wasn't very good...

There were some good jokes (the "yuprichauns" made me laugh, as did Irish Nelson) and as holiday episodes go it was above average, but the plot felt empty, it was just a bunch of (not that funny) stuff that happened. Nothing really stood out.

EDIT: also seems like they calmed down the opening. Ralph doesn't say anything now, and Barney just burps like LABF01. And the couch gag wasn't too long for once.
    Simpson Crazy
    Now with iGoogle gadgets! Try Quote of the Day and Word of the Day

my other sites: Toon images · Song Lyrics · Website tutorials

Eh it was ok, I liked the beginning with the Hot Tub jokes better than what took place in Ireland. Hans Moleman at the retirment home with his dad was funny. A lot of the Ireland part seemed forced, especially Homer and Grandpa taking over the pub. So now Homer has married a Las Vegas chick while drunk, and bought a pub in Ireland while drunk? Bringing Moe and Cheif Wiggum over later too, I dunno that didn't feel right. Some jokes were pretty good, but the ep was just another vacation ep to me, but with a bit more plot. A rather forced plot...

2/5
    Lightspeed Briefs, as seen in your dreams.
    My deviantART page

Isn't this LABF11?

I may as well review this as it's a "special" occasion.

It was average, in my opinion, nowhere near as good as "Gone Maggie Gone". The first act was too long, so the main plot (although not really rushed) was over too quickly. Some good Grampa/Homer relationship stuff and a few good lines and visual gags (Colin Farrell is out of prison gag and "Ah, my son's first stroke"). As expected, a fair amount of Irish stereotyping (leprechauns, yuprechauns and more leprechauns) and obvious humour, but it wasn't that bad. Meaney wasn't bad. The Once reference was funny. Animation was brilliant once again. 2.5 or 3/5.

In terms of productiony stuff. Is Matt Marshall a new writer? Kenneth Brannagh didn't guest star... and seemingly neither did Kathy Ireland. She appeared in animated form, but she wasn't credited and they put a caption underneath her saying that they'd tried to get her to appear, but this wasn't her. So, unless they were joking...
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mirkin, 1995
    I think at the end of the eighth season, we'll all have to sit down, make sure the show is still fresh. Make sure that's it's not repeating itself or falling into a formula and you know...It's very possible that we'll still have energy after eight seasons, but hopefully it will always be a decision of quality, to make sure we are not lowering the quality just to make a little bit more money.

Anyone remember what old school game the giant's causeway scene spoofed?

Funniest bit in my opinion was Glen Hansard and Marketa

Mountain Dew or Crab Juice? khlavkalash's Avatar

I thought the first act was very good. But, the whole epsidoe went downhill the moment the Simpson family arrived in Ireland. But, there were still some good gags in this episode in the later acts. However, the plot wasn't strong enough. And that was what made this episode a bit crappy.
    Still, this is easily the best LABFxx episode I have seen so far. (Bearing in mind I'm in the UK, so the only LABFxx episodes Ive only seen are Take My Life, Please and How The Test Has Won.)
    Still, I enjoyed it for a new episode. The plot could've been stronger but the gags were good, especially in the first act. I'd give it a 8/10.

In other news, people may be interested in what happenned in the title sequence (if they're sad and nerdy like me! ). Ralph didn't say anything when the head dropped on him. Barney burped again, and the TV fell off the wall again. The whole segment of Marge driving and the character pan bit were cut (so the titles were shorter). The couch gag was a nice short (ish) one again, rather than the long ones we had in LABF01 and LABF02.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyed View Post
    Anyone remember what old school game the giant's causeway scene spoofed?
    I dunno but Family Guy did a much funnier joke spoofing that videogame, and I'm not really a Family Guy fan...

edit - I did a quick internet search which revielved it was a parody of Q*bert
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q*Bert

I watched this on P2P and it was all over the place a let down from the past two weeks

i enjoyed it, gave it 4/5

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

Quote Originally Posted by khlavkalash View Post
    In other news, people may be interested in what happenned in the title sequence (if they're sad and nerdy like me! ). Ralph didn't say anything when the head dropped on him. Barney burped again, and the TV fell off the wall again. The whole segment of Marge driving and the character pan bit were cut (so the titles were shorter). The couch gag was a nice short (ish) one again, rather than the long ones we had in LABF01 and LABF02.
    Also, the billboard had Apu on it, with the caption "Buy Sextuplets, Get Octuplets Free!" (that was the gist anyway, may not be the exact wording).

The couch gag specifically, was the family paraded round the living room as dogs (like e.g. Crufts). Bart wins a rosette, Homer gets mad and they bite each other. Pretty lame but the best one this Season.

Something else that struck me as odd is that they used some Irish music over the credits, but didn't bother to make an Irish version of the theme song. Perfect opportunity wasted. (Although the Sky1 announcer talked over the whole thing anyway...)

Yeh...that was awful even worse than The Regina Monologues. Tonight was not a good night for The Simpsons 1/5

Oh, it is LABF11. My apologies.

The Mr. Potato Head joke was actually unexpected and raised a laugh; couch gag was still too long but at least not as bad as the first few ones from the new opening.

Grampa dancing was blatant padding but was certainly better padding than the 'floundering fish' padding.

I was worried we were going to get some gross visual when the Irish-Nelson attempted to carve his initials on the 'blarney behind', but I suppose that was OK. Note that kissing the blarney stone is supposed to give the kisser great skill at flattery, giving the fact that Bart pretended his rear was the blarney stone an extra layer. Not sure if that was intended or not.

The sudden ending to the pub plot read like they couldn't think of anything better and had run out of time (...despite at least three seperate instances of padding, a near complete title sequence and an over-length couch gag).

Meh.

C, maybe C+ if I were generous

Also Carl's comment about having a back rub from an orgasm, has gotta be one of the biggest wtf moments I've had watching the show. I just don't expect those kind of lines to be on the simpsons.

And was that Kathy Ireland or not? The press release said she would be doing it, but then we had the caption that she turned the guest spot down onscreen (another blatant moment of padding)...?

Stonecutter

More thoughts:

Well, I'm quite surprised by the negative comments. I think if you take this episode for what it is, a light hearted and fun episode, it's enjoyable. Now, the plot takes a stupid amount of time to get going. But if you ignore the fact that it is a slow moving plot, I thought act one was excellent. It is something which could of been taken from Bart of Darkness. Lots of laugh out loud gags and just really fun. Act two and three is just a typical crazy Jean vacation plot. No real plot, another Homer gets in trouble situation and it flows pretty poorly. The subplot with Marge and the kids was generally pretty pointless. But humour wise there were some hilarious jokes. Homer's sarcasm to Abe in the bar was pure gold. Characterizations were also decent. Bart was on top form. So, overall a fun episode with lots of laugh out loud gags. But, a downside was the plot. But I think even the writers would be the first to admit this episode was just for fun. 3.5/5 (rounded up to 4/5 on the poll)
    Last edited by Drunk Barney; 03-17-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Although I can kinda see where you are coming from, I just dont think it was a fun episode. I agree act one was OK, nothing special but reasonably pleasant but lets remember the whole reason this episode was hyped up was due to the visit to Ireland and thats where it fell apart. It was quite cringing to be honest, as it felt very slapdash and as if the writers where trying to say "please laugh we are in Ireland, what more do you want?". Bart summed it all up towards the end of the episode when he said so now we have no more fun things to do, as if the writers thought right we can get a couple of jokes at the Guinness factory, Giant causeway and Blarney castle and then we are screwed comedy wise. And was it me or did Marge seem slightly mad in this episode? I am sorry but even if I watched this after a few Guinness's I wouldnt have found it any fun.

I had to miss it because I had to go to a club so no early English review from me ........un;ess there is a repeat

Stonecutter

Great, they finally premiere a Simpsons episode over here, but I'm nowhere near a Sky box when they do! This is even worse than watching US reaction to a new episode! Well, I'm not too disappointed considering the comments here and probably wouldn't get many of the jokes never having been to Ireland and not coming under any Irish influence. Regardless, I'm still irked I had to miss this!

Nuclear Power Plant Worker

Episode was for the Irish only, I'm afraid.

I think it's being judged a little harshly. I was REAAAAAALLY looking forward to it so I'm a bit disappointed. The producers travelled all the way over here so they should have put in a little more effort.

I like how they reached for stereotypes, it's to be expected. Al and James know the Irish laugh along,and we do. And they put a modern twist too. The family flailing like fish...VERY weird But kinda funny

The in-jokes were great, and it's cool to see Irish places. I live in Blarney and the design of the castle was perfect And made for the best joke of the show too.

It wasn't the greatest, but it was enjoyable. Anyone outside of Ireland won't like it. It wasn't joke-sy, very referential and stuff. I wouldn't enjoy an episode centered on some places I didn't know about. So, brace yourselves, this one is for the Irish only I'd say.

PS. We don't have Police we have 'Gardaí'. We certainly don't have double-decker buses.

I don't know why Krusty was on in German, that joke makes ZERO sense to anyone I've spoken to.

I say 7/10. Re-watch it, I did already (I know, neeeerd) and it's actually more enjoyable.

I Just Want My Kids Back EthanRunt's Avatar

Some elements were right, some were drastically wrong, only one joke to come out of it and that was the Once parody, which started off fearfully bad, but had the twist that made me chuckle slightly, 'sides that, another on the bad side of 20, dumb, slow and felt like Family Guy.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

I thought it was a pretty solid episode! It flowed very nicely for me (I wonder if part of that was because I watched it with no commercials, which is something I've never really had to do before), it was pretty funny (hell, all of the LABF's have been a lot funnier, actually), and it wasn't nearly as bad as I was anticipating, especially considering it's a "The Simpsons are going to _______!" episode. The parts involving Marge, Bart, and Lisa were cute and didn't really flop.

I was thinking during the episode that some of these might be more enjoyable if I actually didn't know how it was going to progress. Like, yeah, the first act was pretty unrelated (but it was funny! And that airplane gag was a great screw-the-audience one, too), but it was pretty full. The bar plot between Homer and Grampa was very full, but it didn't feel like it progressed in too absurd a manner, and there were some nice character moments between the two, like in the jail cell, or seeing them work together to make the bar work.

The whole episode had a pretty quick, snappy pace, which only lulled a few times here and there, and most of the gags were successful for me. Really solid episode.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Barney View Post
    More thoughts:

I think if you take this episode for what it is, a light hearted and fun episode, it's enjoyable.
    You forget to mention it's a cartoon, yeah a CARTOON, so we can take it even less seriously.

---
    Anyway, this was a mildly entertaining episode that had a few moments of being done to death, like the Home and Garden show felt like it had been done 20 times before and not to mention the Q Bert gag was pure Family Guy and that damn fish joke went on for too long.

Otherwise this reminded me of Viva Ned Flanders, but with Grandpa and Homer 'marrying' a business instead of floozies, although the amount of booze was probably the same.

Grade: C+, or 3/5 and Colm Melany's acting was great.
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 03-17-2009 at 07:00 PM.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Blog Entries

Whoa, wait, Jake, how did you get it? Aren't you a US resident?

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

I like the tradition of vacation episodes with exaggerated stereotypes of the countries they're in, and this is even more of that than the Regina Monologues. These LABF episodes haven't been bad, and this is my favorite of them so far. I actually laughed a few times 3.5/5

Edit: I'm american so I downloaded it.
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

Quote Originally Posted by homer5000 View Post
    Whoa, wait, Jake, how did you get it? Aren't you a US resident?
    "Download"

Blog Entries

EDIT:

Okay, I just watched it. That was almost too easy to find. Fox should let Sky do this more often.

As for the episode, it was okay. Nothing stellar like Sunday's episode. I liked Bart's blarney stone prank (with Irish Nelson) and the plane gag at the end of act one made me laugh pretty hard. Yet, now they're bringing other Springfield residents in the vacation as well? Seriously? Please, don't do that again. I also found the hot tub plot in the first act to be too Family Guy-esque and idiotic, and the Grandpa thing was not very well introduced.

3/5

BTW: Seeing as there was absolutely no mention of Colin in the best possible episode, I'm guessing that all rumors of him appearing this season have been squashed...
    Last edited by Ryan; 03-17-2009 at 08:27 PM.

Holy cow, that was so easy to find that I thought it was last Sunday's episode being put up.

Though this wasn't really a good episode, I am surprised some found it worse than "The Regina Monologues", which I consider the lowest bar for vacation episodes. And this episode didn't start out too bad. In fact, the first half up until Homer and Abe bought the bar was pretty okay, except for that fish-out-of-water run-on gag. Grrr. Most of the Home & Garden Show stuff just dragged, but I laughed at Homer on the scale and a few bits upon first entering Ireland (pilot's explanation, "U2 Moving Crew", the pun names for stores).

But I felt it really hit the crapper once the bar was bought and Colm Meaney's character (who was enjoyable) left. The plot suddenly went in a very uninteresting direction with the whole smoking thing. I don't know if they were aiming for satire or merely cheap laughs, but it failed either way. The rest of the family touring Ireland was were the story resorted to the more unfunny and unwitty stereotypical stuff (except that Blarney Stone scene; that was funny) that are basically par for the course for vacation episodes.

Edit: Forgot to mention the ending. I know Wiggum was put there randomly to make some sort of self-depricating jab about the series' perception of the Irish (oddly enough, he's been pegged as British before), but it instead turned out to be a really terrible ending that just wouldn't...end.

First reaction says 'C-' at worst, but I may still watch the actual U.S. airing on Sunday and I'll settle on something final.
    Last edited by Sprocketeer; 03-18-2009 at 07:19 AM.

Thread Information