1 2.70%
  • 2/5

7 18.92%
  • 1/5

28 75.68%

Thread: R&R Family Guy: The Juice Is Loose

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

R&R Family Guy: The Juice Is Loose

What'd everyone think of this week's new Family Guy?

Honestly lately I'd been really getting into Family Guy; the season started off craptacular, as usual, but I thought it had been picking up a lot with the last few episodes. This one was...ugh...it just blew. It was a total mess. Everything seemed to jump all over the place - and did they really have to start that Conway Twitty gag again? Really? Especially a whole song...?
    Not as bad as Patriot Games...but close.

1/5

I'm also going to have to go with 1/5 for this one. If you need to use almost three minutes of footage of Conway Twitty on Hee Haw to fill a twenty minute episode, you're not much of a comedy writer. The rest of it wasn't much better with uninspired swipes at familiar targets (though sadly one of the better ones of its kind, it's just overdone at this point), uninspired jokes, heavy reliance on dragging gags out in the belief that it makes them funnier, really stale pop culture references and a lame attempt at being controversial.

It's disappointing what they're doing these days because I do actually like the show and want to enjoy it but they're still too wrapped up in the idea that everything they do is genius and they alone have the most brilliant comedic formula. What isn't smarmy and off-putting these days just tends to be stale.
    "How could this have happened?
    We started out like Romeo & Juliet but it ended up in tragedy..."
    - Milhouse Van Houten

Blog Entries

Who the fuck gave it a 2? Which one of you assholes did something so stupid?

There are no opinions. This episode alone invalidates the opinions of current Family Guy fans. Shit fucking sucks. Kill yourself.

King of the Rock Bottom The Sovereign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

terrible

i heard "ladies and gentlemen, Conway Twitty", turned away to do something else...and then noticed like 2 minutes later that it was STILL going

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Sovereign View Post
    terrible

i heard "ladies and gentlemen, Conway Twitty", turned away to do something else...and then noticed like 2 minutes later that it was STILL going
    I did the same thing on Hulu. I was like "Oh heh, FG fans won't get this but I get it ebcause my dad likes country." Doesn't mean I like country. So NOBODY fucking wins when you go on for like 4 minutes! I skipped forward on Hulu like three times.

"Jeez it's still going".. "Really? Come on, MacFarlane.." .. "Oh my Gooood what the fuck is the matter with these people? Talentless fucking hacks relying on non-sequitor filler for their first act? Fuck this." I kept watching so I could have a completely valid opinion.

Most terrible thing on television, since God knows when...

Episodes like this make me want to throw the TV out the window. No fan who helped get this show back on the air should be subjected to this kind of torture.

1.0/5

Resident Astray's Counterpart

It's a bad sign when the jab at the Simpsons was the only redeeming factor (and I'm generally not a big fan of taking direct jabs at other shows. Hell, as soon as the mob formed I went "Oh no, they're going to do that joke.")

That entire episode was just...Good Lord. Get off the damn high-horses. That wasn't comedy so much as thirty minutes of aggrivation. I don't know why I watched it all the way through, I guess I'm just curious.

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

The terrible things said about this episode almost make me want to watch it. Almost.

Could be the worst episode of all time. The Simpsons joke was funny, that's about it. Honestly though, this automatically gets a 1/5 for like 3 full minutes of Conway Twitty - for the third episode of being done.

Honestly, this episode was a disgrace to primetime network TV.

If anybody DARES to watch this episode again, who in their right mind will actually willingly sit through the whole Conway Twitty thing? They are begging for people to change the channel or fast-forward.
    Signature.

That Veronica Vaughn..... Ryan_'s Avatar

I'm in the minority who will get more lols out of a new family guy episode than a new simpsons episode, but this was just atrocious.

I snickered when Peter introduced Mr Conway Twitty, but to play a whole song? Drawing jokes out can be funny at times, but this was just ridiculous.

Only real laugh i got was the Homer joke.

Summary: Terrible.

Resistance is Futile

this was just as shit as family gay.

1/5

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xt'Tapalatakettle View Post
    The terrible things said about this episode almost make me want to watch it. Almost.
    Yeah, lots of 1/5s fill me with a morbid curiosity, which is really the only reason I watch the occasional Family Guy episode nowadays anyway. I thought last week's episode was abysmal--one of the stupidest things I've seen on TV. I have a hard time imagining this to be worse, but with Family Guy, anything is possible...

So I'm sort of split right now on either re-watching "Gone Maggie Gone" or tuning into this Very Special Episode. Might have to watch it just to join in the fun.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

What's the verdict on this episode among the die-hard FG fans? I seriously wouldn't be surprised if this goes down as the worst episode of all time.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

I ended up tuning in, sure enough.

I didn't think it was the worst Family Guy ever, but it definitely had a lot of low moments. The Conway Twitty thing was extremely boring padding in an episode that hardly had a semblance of a plot to begin with. But compared to last week's atrocity (which is easily the worst gay-themed episode of any show I've ever seen), this episode was mostly just boring, rather than flat-out painful. I thought there were a few decent gags though--the Simpsons jab was quick and fun for once, Stewie being used as a football was a fun visual, Brian was generally enjoyable, and I liked the basketball gag with Quagmire.

Otherwise, though, there were way too many grating parts--Peter and his buddies acting like giddy teenagers (we've seen this too many times before), several very weak cutaways (rich guy, old-time movie), and a lame, outdated plot that had a predictable "surprise" ending that largely didn't make any sense.

It'd probably be a C-/D+ normally, but the Conway Twitty cutaway drops it down to a D-. Not the worst Family Guy, I'd say, but still bad enough.

It's hard for me to think of a worse episode. I feel like I'm likely forgetting the other contenders actually. This season has definitely been a serious low point.

Ocean's Three and a Half
    Baby Not On Board
    Tales of a Third Grade Nothing
    Mcstroke
    Back to the Woods
    Bill and Peter's Bogus Journey
    Boys Do Cry
    No Chris Left Behind
    Brian Sings and Swings
    Patriot Games
    Deep Throats
    From Method to Madness

These are the only other possible worst episode ever contenders, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
    It's hard for me to think of a worse episode. I feel like I'm likely forgetting the other contenders actually. This season has definitely been a serious low point.

Ocean's Three and a Half
    Baby Not On Board
    Mcstroke
    Back to the Woods
    Boys Do Cry
    No Chris Left Behind
    Brian Sings and Swings
    Patriot Games
    Deep Throats
    From Method to Madness

Surprised to not see Jungle Love on there, although I personally didn't mind it. No brian the Bachelor, though?

I liked about 2 episodes this season. This was terrible! Why take a jab at the simpsons when your episode was complete shit?! Conway twitty? Yet another Back to the Future reference? Whats that make the third one?

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by troymclure17 View Post
    Yet another Back to the Future reference? Whats that make the third one?
    They were going for the trilogy.

I would watch it, but I can barely sit through supposed "good" episodes. I know a lot of people who like Blue Harvest, but I couldn't bear it after about 10 minutes (longer than my usual 5 minutes).

What's the verdict on this episode among the die-hard FG fans? I seriously wouldn't be surprised if this goes down as the worst episode of all time.
    Even the few who liked it hated the Conway Twitty shit.

Ocean's Three and a Half
    Baby Not On Board
    Mcstroke
    Back to the Woods
    Boys Do Cry
    No Chris Left Behind
    Brian Sings and Swings
    Patriot Games
    Deep Throats
    From Method to Madness

Oh, no, this episode was pretty awful (but not horrifically, I gave it a 2/5), but the worst is "The Former Life of Brian" from last season. Yeah, Conway Twitty was just stupid and lazy, but I liked Peter's reaction and the following Connery joke. The Simpsons jab was pretty funny, and Brian's interview with Stewie was worth a smile (though how would he know who Diablo Cody is if it's March '07?)

But trust me, "Former Life" is worse. Way worse...

2/5

Blog Entries

PLUSSES:
    Stewie on the roof: "Gah, I'll slit your throat while you sleep!"
    Brian farting himself awake
    The oven mitt doesn't fit (pretty clever actually)
    OJ thinks Stewie's a football
    "We don't love you like we did in 1993!" "D'oh!"
    MINUSES:
    CLEVELAND AND JOE MAKING OUT?!?!
    Quagmire might have AIDS?
    Peter Griffin Jr.?
    Conway fucking Twitty, Jesus Christ, someone should get fired for this.
    Wait a minute, this episode is two years old?
    Wait a minute, they probably only told us that because they don't mention the Las Vegas robbery.
    Wait a minute, how many other times have they done this?!
    The pillow fight, especially Peter throwing up on Joe.
    The beaver
    Soul searching walk to Kansas (Like Conway Twitty but shorter)
    Goldman family (really distasteful)
    Nobody's perfect (interminable)
    Ending (saw it coming)

5/11 (45%)

GRADE: F
    Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post
    i was going though deleted scenes when i saw the lead singer of the who saying shut the fuck up marge

Blog Entries

Did somebody really rate this 5 out of 5? Really? A perfect score for an episode where the manatees had so little material they had to include several minutes of Conway Twitty?

I don't really watch Family Guy anymore. I watched this because it got such terrible reviews and I was curious to see how bad it was. There were a few passable gags spread throughout it, but mostly it was crap. I was just bored throughout most of it.

Can't believe this is what passes for brilliant comedy these days.

Blog Entries

A hard chore to watch. 5 thumbs down!

Quote Originally Posted by homer5000 View Post
    Oh, no, this episode was pretty awful (but not horrifically, I gave it a 2/5), but the worst is "The Former Life of Brian" from last season. Yeah, Conway Twitty was just stupid and lazy, but I liked Peter's reaction and the following Connery joke. The Simpsons jab was pretty funny, and Brian's interview with Stewie was worth a smile (though how would he know who Diablo Cody is if it's March '07?)

But trust me, "Former Life" is worse. Way worse...

2/5
    I can't completely disagree with that, but for me they're about on par thanks to Conway Twitty's extended cameo in this one. It's disappointing because I am fan, Family Guy's a fine show that can be very funny in its own way but the last couple of seasons just haven't really delivered throughout.

gave his life for tourism Magnum's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i think you guys are confusing that show where every episode is the indistinguishable from the other with last sunday's simpsons
    Last edited by Magnum; 03-21-2009 at 12:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tones
    I was born with a wah-wah pedal

Stonecutter

That was awful. Not the worst but still awful. The first part was ok, until we got to Conway Twitty. Who thought that up!?! It went from Stewie on the roof to Conway Twitty and then to Cheerios contest paper(I think that was how Peter met OJ). Finally after a few bad jokes (Beaver, Soul searching walk) we meet OJ Simpson. The whole time it felt like the only joke was "Oh my god, we have OJ Simpson! We're so contreversial!". I admit I might be exaggerating a bit, but it was still really bad. To end my review on a lighter note the Homer joke was funny. 1/5

gave his life for tourism Magnum's Avatar
    Blog Entries

let's not pretend that a three minute clip of hee-haw wasn't the best thing on tv sunday night, either

i wonder if this will fit the

yeah, im gonna have to check this out later. just curiosity. i do like that simpsons joke, though. and although back to the future is my favorite movie of all time, the jokes are getting old.

Blog Entries

Well, they have already done an entire episode that was a parody of it. I guess they just aren't clever enough to come up with something new.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

Not funny.....peter griffin jr.......conway twitty......no
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

Thread Information