View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Good girl, Maggie, you knocked down all the pins. But, you stepped over the line just a little bit, so I'll have to give you a five.

91 45.27%
  • 4/5: It's a boy -- and what a boy!

56 27.86%
  • 3/5: Oh, there you are. Very amusing.

32 15.92%
  • 2/5: You are a depraved little infant.

13 6.47%
  • 1/5: Whoa! Someone smells stinky! Oh, it's me.

9 4.48%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: R/R "Gone Maggie Gone" (LABF04)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

R/R "Gone Maggie Gone" (LABF04)

When Homer leaves Maggie on the doorstep of a convent to keep her safe as he rescues Santa's Little Helper from a sticky situation, the nuns at the convent take Maggie in. Lisa comes up with a plan to infiltrate the convent and rescue Maggie. After deciphering a series of cryptic messages at the convent, Lisa sets off to find Springfield's most coveted jewel and gets a little help from an ancient order of mystery buffs led by Comic Book Guy and Principal Skinner. But when Springfield's Freemasons, led by Mr. Burns, get wind of Lisa's quest, she must race to solve the mystery and find Maggie.
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Was anyone else worried that Marge would try to breast feed "Maggie" (Homer's hand) during that one scene? I thought that's where they were going to go with that.

A Da Vinci Code parody? At this point? SERIOUSLY?
    Houston, we have a problem.. a SEXY problem!

Top 50 New Entry

Junior Camper

Completely ridiculous, overly silly, but absolutely wonderful! The Simpsons have proved in the 20th season that they can still brilliantly put together a random/different episode with great writing! This is a prime example at how random can be done without being a Family Guy wannabe ( which no show should ever want to be)

I loved it. 5 out of 5. This season is on a hot streak.

4/5. What a wonderful episode. Another reminder of why this season may be the best one for this show in a long long time.
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

A Treasure of an episode. Full of laughs and wonder. Clever and well paced for my viewing level. Being a good boy all week got me the Simpsons entertainment I deserve!
    5/5

I didn't realize that Halloween was in March this year.

I'm sorry, but this felt like a tree house of horror episode, it had about 10 minutes of goodness then a bunch of filler, it would have made better for a treehouse of horror episode, and most of the jokes were lame, I liked the little clues, but they were really impossible to figure out because they had factors that you didn't know about, the puzzle was impossible. Overall I give the episode a 2/5

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Unlike last week's fake-emotional crap, this week didn't try to be more than a fun adventure and it succeeded. It's always good when you want to see MORE story than think "god, when is this going to end?".

The only stupid part was the kitchen full or Ratatoulie wannabe parody, but that only was there to move the plot to the poison.

GRADE: A- (4/5)

BTW, Bart becoming the Devil-boy? Hah!

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Blog Entries

uhh.... i can't really judge yet. i mean, i don't know how to judge this episode, very silly, unusual in several aspect, several obvious satire but accompanied by some actually intriguing aspect, secondary character involvement, 'it's maggie, sherlock' message, decent humor... also relieved that the ratatouille thing was just some filler to set up the plot, not one of those plots.

?/5 is my grade of now. i'll have to rate it after more thoughts and of course, re-watch. if i were to be lenient on those silliness, it'd be close to 5/5 though

EDIT: "how do you feel about kneeling?"... sexual innuendo joke? if it was, at least a subtle one of its type came from this episode
    Last edited by sung; 03-16-2009 at 04:35 PM.
    calmer than you are

wow this is back to back episodes where I had a really good time. Only thing I had a problem with was the latter half, while good, wasn't as good as the first half. The resolution, if I wanted to get nitpicky, I'd have preferred to see Marge lament about Maggie in the episode so that her choice at the end might've been a little more climatic.

Still had a good time, I loved seeing what was happening back at the Simpson house while Lisa was away, the Ratatouille stuff was delightful for the most part, Lisa at the church was pretty great. The Marilyn nun, to the first clue being revealed, and Lisa's look on her face. Fantastic stuff. Good episode, it's been a while since I've got that anticipating feeling in me for the next episode, but this episode, with last week's episode, has really affected me in a good way.

Themeatically speaking, strange episode though, part Da Vinci Code, part Simpsons, part puzzle quest? Still, pleasing.

in a nightmare, i am falling vriskatime's Avatar

Originally posted by Jake : Unlike last week's fake-emotional crap, this week didn't try to be more than a fun adventure and it succeeded. It's always good when you want to see MORE story than think "god, when is this going to end?".
    Also, in annoys me that fox switched from a letterbox to a pan-and-scan.

also, I loved the name Mother Superior, great touch

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chagopian View Post
    also, I loved the name Mother Superior, great touch
    isn't 'mother superior' actually a common title given to the abbess or nun in charge of religious congregation and order of the convent

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

5/5

A very all over the place episode, but in a good way. The puzzles were well thought out, secondary characters were used effectively, the history of Springfield was once again delved into (I love when they do this) and a landmark of Springfield was finally given a historical significance and background (The SPRINGFIELD sign). Really, there was too much that I liked to mention. But I'll try anyway:

Liked:
    -short intro, i like the extended version too but it was nice to see how they'll do it short
    -Springfield News intro, awesome animation and 3D modeling
    -TEX AVERY SYNDROME
    -Ratatouille parody, believably done. I'm glad the subplot of Moe's tavern having the rats was dropped (see below)
    -Bart with Lisa's hair, I was actually waiting for Nancy Cartwright to attempt Lisa's voice (as Yeardley Smith originally auditioned for Bart's role some 20 years ago, a great moment for a voice actor in-joke)
    -the clockwork gag (yawn!)
    -Act break puzzle cards (What Lisa just said)
    -Homer's puzzle and Cletus's puzzle (My puzzle done puzzled itself out!)
    -Skinner, CBG and Burns
    -Helping people is weird
    -Marge's entrance and decision
    -devil Bart (over the top, but LOL worthy like the "24 Minutes" ending)

Disliked:
    -would have liked an additional scene of Marge and Homer at home in the third act

As I mentioned, the Ratatouille gag seemed to have been meant to be used in season 19 as it was shown on the Simpsons Movie DVD

I'm glad it was cut, tonights episode effectively used the gag to push the plot forward and the rats were realistically drawn rather than cartoonishly done.
    UP AND ATOM!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post

I'm glad it was cut, tonights episode effectively used the gag to push the plot forward and the rats were realistically drawn rather than cartoonishly done.
    Slightly OT, but why are Homer's shoes a weird shade of red?

Blog Entries

Ugh I didn't care for this episode. Homer was annoying, and Marge was too stupid. In fact, all the main characters were irritating. The mystery plot was poorly done. There were no reasonable clues that would help Lisa along the way. She kind of just randomly guessed and kept getting things right. Other than that, the whole plot was too bizarre to take seriously. I didn't laugh once, but maybe I missed something. I'll have to rewatch this unfortunately because I can't remember anything. The only thing entertaining about this episode was the cool computer animation on the eclipse, the scene with the piano/organ thing, and the "Ring" in the Springfield sign. Overall, this episode had potential but was handled terribly, so I'll grant it a rating of 1/5. By the way, I missed the opening intro and couch gag. Can anyone tell me what happened?
    Last edited by lionelhutz123; 03-15-2009 at 05:01 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    By the way, I missed the opening intro and couch gag. Can anyone tell me what happened?
    it was actually shortened version; intro started with homer getting off the car and such. for couch gag, ralph, in blinds, hit the pinata couch with the stick and family came out of the couch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
    isn't 'mother superior' actually a common title given to the abbess or nun in charge of religious congregation and order of the convent
    lol not Catholic at all, I apologize, should've known that, you're right

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    Overall, this episode had potential was handled terribly, so I'll grant it a rating of 1/5. By the way, I missed the opening intro and couch gag. Can anyone tell me what happened?
    Well if you're not going to like the episode then I don't feel like telling you!
    edit: c'mon guys! you shouldn't have told him!

As for Homer's red shoes, I'm assuming their tap dancing shoes. After he and the rat do their dance, Homer bops the rat over the head.

This episode was refreshing, I loved the part where the Nuns were singing "O-Fortuna" only to be repeatedly interrupted by Lisa.

Also, the ending scene with Bart was spectacular.

This episode was literally epic, and deserves an epic score.

Blog Entries

lol not Catholic at all, I apologize, should've known that, you're right
    that's okay, even if it weren't real title, it actually would've been a good touch. imo

does anyone know when they usually put the new episode in hulu.com?
    Last edited by sung; 03-15-2009 at 05:11 PM.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

… Wow! I really, really did enjoy that. It was pretty funny, and it was high-energy and fast-paced, with some really cool sequences in there for good measure. I loved the format bending this one had (fantastic act breaks, especially the first one, which was a great and hilarious way of introducing this episode’s style), and here, the four-act format didn’t totally suck and was well-utilized.

It did get a little wacky at times (like the ending, but who cares, that was funny), but it was snappy and quick and came together very nicely (loved that a couple of the clues were insults towards Lisa). It got right to the plot, and it was a very full, well-rounded, and pretty well-structured piece and I really, really, really enjoyed it. Occasionally some of the transitions felt a little too quick and snappy (especially as they were getting closer to the resolution), but still, there wasn’t really any time wasted this time around so I can forgive that and give them their props for maintaining a pretty good mystery feel alongside a fast-paced, quickly moving, very interesting and entertaining story.

Great episode. Maybe the best of the season so far. I dunno. At least Al Jean’s excitement over this one makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
    that's okay, even if it weren't real title, it actually would've been a good touch. imo

does anyone know when do they usually put the new episode in hulu.com?
    Usually it's there the day after it airs, the Amazon Unbox download isn't availible till the next day either.

Adding another "like":
    Skinner not seeing the clue, if I could remember and type out his dialog I would.

Also, wouldn't it have been hilarious if Wiggum took CBG's role? An homage/precursor to the spin-off series "Chief Wiggum P.I."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iceiwynd View Post

Great episode. Maybe the best of the season so far. I dunno. At least Al Jean’s excitement over this one makes sense.
    Yeah, I hope this isn't the fluke episode this season for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    Adding another "like":
    Skinner not seeing the clue, if I could remember and type out his dialog I would.

Also, wouldn't it have been hilarious if Wiggum took CBG's role? An homage/precursor to the spin-off series "Chief Wiggum P.I."
    Yes! That would've been very solid, but I do give them credit for trying to forge a new relationship between CBG and Skinner, even if it wasn't memorable.

Blog Entries

Yes! That would've been very solid, but I do give them credit for trying to forge a new relationship between CBG and Skinner, even if it wasn't memorable.
    They both live in their parent's basements, so I could see it.

I loved it! This is definitely the treat from season 20 I have been waiting for.

The part where Skinner and Comic Book Guy came into the episode is when it really got great. I think it's okay for the show to do a "mystery" type episode every now and again. Lisa seemed very 'in-character', and my favorite appearance by her in a while.

Some other parts I enjoyed was Bart's ending, and him being Lisa. Burns was excellent and I liked how they introduced him with the panting of his dogs and then the follow-up line "Well, if it isn't the tardy boys and nancy clueless?".

The beginning was just alright but the episode picked up as it went along. I was relieved to see them shorten the intro opening and I liked the page of the book to end each act. A fitting Maggie resolution, and unpredictable plot throughout makes this one of my favorite newer episodes.

In conclusion, by far the best of season 20 and ranks pretty high in my book. Receives a grade of A-/A from me.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Amidst some of the more forgettable recent episodes as of late, it's always cool to see the show get really ambitious in scope and style. From the eclipse beginning to the biblical end, this show had an "epic" feel to it in spades. It suited the cross-city adventure story really well, too, and it was nice seeing even smaller touches (like Homer's take on the classic chicken/fox/corn puzzle) implemented into the episode in a cohesive way.

Is it just me, though, or does the show come across as overly bitter towards organized religion in general nowadays? Most of the throwaway lines in the past few episodes have felt rather tacky and cheap, in my eyes--then again, I'm Catholic, so I'm probably more irritated by these than most. But stuff like the past few season's religion-bashing one-liners ("He was like Jesus, only real" "doing other things like making tornadoes or not existing") feel a lot more mean-spirited and condescending than the show's past, funnier takes on religion ("EVERYTHING'S about Jesus, Homer...except this"). That's not to say all the religion jokes were weak--Marge's line after saving Maggie was very clever and innocuous enough to work in a charming way.

That nitpick aside, I don't have much to complain about with tonight's episode. There were some very good gags throughout--Homer's puzzle with the poison, his discussion with the clerk, Lisa's dead-end clues (clever anagrams always manage to impress me), the "ring" fakeout, Homer's arm as Maggie, Bart pretending to be Lisa, Burns' sequence, the backstory of the SPRINGFIELD sign, O Fortuna, Homer's "I'll never dress like a nun!" fakeout, the Tex Avery gag, Bart at the ending (although his last line was kinda sitcom-y) and more.

Good show, very interesting. It was a little light, but it did come full circle nicely and the ending with Maggie was pretty epic and sweet.

One other nitpick--I'm tired of people gazing into each others' eyes and then making out. The second I saw the baseball players, I feared that would happen.

4/5
    Last edited by TriforceBun; 03-15-2009 at 06:14 PM.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Thread Information