View Poll Results: What did you think of "The Ring"?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

16 36.36%
  • 4/5

15 34.09%
  • 3/5

9 20.45%
  • 2/5

4 9.09%
  • 1/5

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review South Park "The Ring"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate/Review South Park "The Ring"

Season premiere tonight!

From the Comedy Central Press Release:
    KENNY PUTS ON A PURITY RING
    IN THE 13th SEASON PREMIERE OF “SOUTH PARK” ON
    WEDNESDAY, MARCH 11 AT 10:00 P.M.* ON COMEDY CENTRAL

NEW YORK, March 9, 2009 –KENNY AND HIS NEW GIRLFRIEND GO TO A JONAS BROTHERS’ CONCERT in the 13th season premiere of “South Park” titled, “The Ring.”
    “South Park” returns with seven all-new episodes beginning Wednesday, March 11 at 10:00 p.m. on COMEDY CENTRAL.

THINKING IT’S HIS WAY INTO HER HEART AND OTHER BODY PARTS, KENNY TAKES HIS NEW GIRLFRIEND TO A JONAS BROTHERS CONCERT. HIS DREAM OF TAKING THEIR RELATIONSHIP TO THE NEXT LEVEL IS CRUSHED WHEN THE JONAS BROTHERS GIVE THEM PURITY RINGS.
    So, how many of the Jonas brothers will die tonight? I'm guessing all three. And don't forget to watch in HD!...

Insane Mickey Mouse.

Kenny dying from a blow job.

Jonas Brothers foam.

GI Joe ending

.....holy crap that was a great episode. 4/5
    Wait till they get a load of me.

this is what i expect from the rest of the season! all the boys were featured, it made fun of the jonas brothers, and mickey mouse reminded me of old sp episodes. the ending was hysterical, and unexpected. 5/5

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Pretty funny all-around. I'm really surprised I didn't see the ending coming--I guess all the other craziness in the episode had me distracted. Pretty fun jabs at Disney. Mickey Mouse was sort of hit-or-miss (having beloved pop culture icons act uncharacteristically rude/mean is a little well-worn) but he had his moments. I liked the craziness of him getting huge and breathing fire, and the little chuckles throughout his lines were pretty fun. Also, Dreamworks reference was funny too.

The kids had some good moments in this too, and the lampooning of the Jonas Brothers was funny as well. Liked all the little girls going nuts at the concert. I guess the one thing holding this episode back was that it wasn't really new ground for the show--there was another event spiraling out of control, another conspiracy of sorts, and another big reveal. But all things considered, it was still fun and funny throughout.

4/5 B
    My Nintendo webcomic,

One of the best epsiodes in awhile, especially the scenes involving Mickey Mouse, and I thought they took a very fair approach to parodying the Jonas Brothers. That being said, these are the last three episodes:

Parody of High School Musical
    psuedo-parody of Twilight
    parody of the Jonas Brothers

Is it that hard to just write an epuisode based on the characetrs? And do they have to keep parodying things that are so similar to each other? Still, I'll give this a 5/5, because pretty much every joke worked.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Holy crap, that was hilarious.

The entire first act with just the boys (and lots of Kenny, in particular - his reaction to finding out his girlfriend was a slut was adorable) was absolutely fantastic. The episode kind of started to drop off a little when Mickey came into the picture, but even he managed to be pretty fun a great deal of the time and didn't detract too much.

Nice to see all four boys at work here, great jokes, solid story, a little too much on the whole conspiracy thing, but fuck it, if the show keeps making episodes like this I'll forgive them for the majority of S12. Really great episode.

The best run premiere since Warcraft. At first, I thought Mickey Mouse "returning to Valhalla to slumber and feed" was the icing on the cake, then KENNY DIED!!!

I also really like how the purity ring couples love Gray's Anatomy, because it perfectly mirrors my parents. One slight complaint was that it felt a bit short, but god damn was it funny!

5/5

On a technical note, I didn't watch it in HD and was disappointed to see Comedy Central do a lazy pan-and-scan, glaring in some of the later scenes where text would be missing off-screen. How hard is it to air it letterboxed?...

I thought it was decent, nothing great. Lampooning Disney is a bit cliche these days (no matter how valid the point) and the boys stumbling upon a conspiracy like this is a bit overdone too so it didn't feel particularly fresh but it was a solid episode. 3.5/5.
    "How could this have happened?
    We started out like Romeo & Juliet but it ended up in tragedy..."
    - Milhouse Van Houten

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

And into season 13, they continue to stick to their tried and true formula of "parody of current popular pop culture thing + conspiracy." Its getting really old, though this episode still had its moments.

I think it would have been better if Mickey only made the first appearance, and the ending was resolved differently. By the end, it was just like, "yeah, ok, I get it - Mickey is swearing... can we move on now?" and like others have mentioned, making children's icons violent is a pretty cheap and overdone joke to begin with.

My favorite part was the ending. They made it the whole episode without killing Kenny, so I assumed he was going to live, then BAM. After all these years, they still find ways to suprise us with his deaths (especially now that you don't know which episodes he will die in!)

Overall though, 3/5 I guess.

To My Mom: 10/3/31-3/15/2001 D DEBBS's Avatar

Very, very funny ep and I expected Mickey Mouse to be the brains behind the Jo-Bros.

I enjoyed the episode for the most part, although the Mickey stuff didn't do much for me. Mickey cursing and being violent... too Robot Chickenish for me. The point being made was good enough though, and the Jonas Brothers songs were pretty hilarious.
    Signature.

Way better than the Season 12 premiere, and probably the best "run" premiere since "With Apologies to Jessie Jackson".

I love Kenny, and even though he's become more and more sex-crazed over time, he never loses that old charm. After 12 years, the guy deserved to get some for once, and I was hoping that by the end, he would either get a blow job or get killed. (He was never killed in Season 12.) The fact that they made both of those things happen sold the ending for me.

I was a bit skeptical when they started giving a larger role to the Jonas Brothers (their song was a great portrayal, but they were just okay otherwise), and when Mickey came in, I figured it was going to be Disney being behind some huge mind control conspiracy. And while it still somewhat turned out that way, the fact that Mickey basically became a fire-breathing loon who was crazed for money and more profane than Cartman was a riot. And while Disney satire is common, most shows aren't as over-the-top as South Park.

Sure, they recently ripped on High School Musical, but I think was the better shot at Disney marketing. I also hope that Kenny gets more of a role in general this season.
    Season 21:
    Homer the Whopper: C, Bart Gets a Z: C+, The Great Wife Hope: B-, Treehouse of Horror XX: B, The Devil Wears Nada: C-, Pranks & Greens: C, Rednecks & Broomsticks: D+, O Brother, Where Bart Thou?: B, Thursdays With Abie: D, Once Upon a Time in Springfield: C+, Million Dollar Maybe: C-

i wonder if this will fit the

On a technical note, I didn't watch it in HD and was disappointed to see Comedy Central do a lazy pan-and-scan, glaring in some of the later scenes where text would be missing off-screen. How hard is it to air it letterboxed?...
    was really disappointed it wasn't letterboxed...the pan and scan looked like crap.

i absoutely hated the episode last night (it was a 2/5), but since today, it's a 4/5. definately one of the funniest episodes in a long while. i literally choked laughing at "how do you like the jonas brothers hot foam on your faces, girls?". totally wasn't expecting mickey...he was really, really funny. especially since i did the mickey mouse "ho, ho!" today at school (nearly everyone watched it, suprisingly!).

some good kenny too (his "slut" reaction, and his death). most of the boys were in character, especially cartman ("kenny, your girlfriend is a notorious whore"). i can't even remember why i hated the ep last night. i do agree the whole disney thing is a bit cliche'd, but i laughed regardless. and the whole netflix reference made me yell "sell-outs!!" at my tv.

overall, decent start of the season. much better than i had originally rated it, and a little worse than i was expecting...4/5.

Blog Entries

This ep was just what the doctor ordered. I laughed hard & smiled plenty. went to bed with a peaceful South Park satisfied brain. 4/5

Classic. South. Park. Humor.

I enjoyed this episode so fucking much. Me and my friends talked about it during School today. The Jonas Brothers deserve to be attacked by the hands of Matt and Trey. Mickey Mouse hands down was the most unexpected and one of the funniest characters of the episode. Kenny dying from Syphillis called for a hilarious ending. The Purity ring thing played out well.

All I can say is I hope the rest of the season is as good or even better than this episode.

Classic South Park humor.

4.5/5 B+

I am your big brother

Blog Entries

One of the most hilariously typical (and not saying that's a bad thing. this time) South Park episodes I've ever seen. Everything fit together so well. Sometimes it feels like the 22 minute mark is a constraint and they COULD do more, but condense it into something that is a bit crap. Not here, everything was so great and everything I expect from South Park without Matt and Trey trying too hard.

Did anyone else actually kind of, sort of like the Jonas Bros. characters? Didn't expect to be on their side. I say characters because I know nothing about these kids except they're on lunchboxes and pillows.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

Great episode, I love Kenny
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

not a great episode, but still a good one for me too

3.5/5

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away ..."

King of the Rock Bottom The Sovereign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

good episode

4/5

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

^ bad input

1/5

King of the Rock Bottom The Sovereign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

what else should i say?

funny? formulaic? good ending? all that's been said

...?

Kenny's reaction to finding iut his girlfriend is a slut was hilarious, as was his death. The Jonas Brothers were okay, but never found them funny, probably because I'm unfamiliar with them. Hot foam was funny though. I found Mickey's voice annoying, and didn't find him funny at all. I didn't get the growing and breathing fire thing at the end. Is it meant to be a reference to something?

Good episode.
    3/5

This was a great episode. Kenny's reactions both pre and post purity ring were great. Ball-busting Mickey Mouse was great (I expected some cyborg Walt Disney) and it was one of the best endings in South Park history. The only things I didn't really care for were Mickey growing 50ft and breathing fire (little too random for my tastes) and they drove the "bay-bay" joke into the ground pretty quick. Still a great ep.

the original Sex Pistol

I thought this episode was fantastic. It had everything, easily a 5/5.

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

I found it pretty uninspired. The scene with the kids as greying and balding adults was funny but I found Mickey Mouse lame. I like the idea of Disney being evil and having ulterior motives (it might even be true) but the way it was executed didn't work for me. 2/5
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

I knew very little about the Jonas Brothers until this episode. It probably would have been more enjoyable if I had. It was the same with some episodes last season, I had no idea what that Vampire episode was talking about.

That was pretty funny, the first few minutes were great. Kenny's reaction to finding out that his girlfriend is a slut, and the concert were hilarious. It slowed down a bit after that, but it was still enjoyable. Mickey going insane wasn't as funny as it could have been, but Kenny dying of a STD was great.

Well, well, well if it isnt BJ McKay & his best friend Bear.
    That and the wedding ring joke were pure gold.
    Mickey as has been said b/f was predictable in his actions and therefore less funny.
    Voted 5 but really more like a 4-4.5

Good start to the season.
    I did see it in HD & it was good, except for the 'joke' with the boys just staring at the screen, then they finally pull out and we see they are actually looking/talking about Kenny
    It Tastes Like Burning

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Johannson View Post
    I didn't get the growing and breathing fire thing at the end. Is it meant to be a reference to something?
    My guess is that it was merely a random stunt meant to make both Mickey and Disney seem like demonic corporate monsters.

Also, I just remembered Butters' "What's a B.J.?" line. That's why I love Butters so much.

Sarcasm: the nerds' "sex" TheSuperiorGerbil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    Pretty funny all-around. I'm really surprised I didn't see the ending coming--I guess all the other craziness in the episode had me distracted. Pretty fun jabs at Disney. Mickey Mouse was sort of hit-or-miss (having beloved pop culture icons act uncharacteristically rude/mean is a little well-worn) but he had his moments. I liked the craziness of him getting huge and breathing fire, and the little chuckles throughout his lines were pretty fun. Also, Dreamworks reference was funny too.

I guess the one thing holding this episode back was that it wasn't really new ground for the show--there was another event spiraling out of control, another conspiracy of sorts, and another big reveal. But all things considered, it was still fun and funny throughout.

4/5 B
    ^This, but with a 3/5 rating. They should've left only the first Dreamworks reference, biggest laugh of the episode for me. It kinda seemed rushed that there weren't any comedic exaggerations or personality twist in the Jonas Brothers.
    While I think that it is a nice change that the kids are back to reacting to tween pop culture (JB, High School musical episode) and the adult cast will probably be the one's involved in political/economic satire, it does kinda single me out as part of the audience since I don't know shit about tween stuff, and it gets kinda weird because I don't think Sp's audience does either.
    Plus, the plot conventions are getting clearer and clearer every episode, which really gets in the way of jokes sometimes (like with throwaway lines to move the plot).
    Last edited by TheSuperiorGerbil; 03-13-2009 at 05:50 PM.
    "I really dislike it when people quote stuff I've said" - John Lennon

i just watched it and i'm surprised so many of you liked it. every scene with the jonas brothers was awkward and unfunny. mickey mouse was kind of amusing at first but started to get on my nerves after awhile. kenny and co. were ok but that's about it
    2/5

Thread Information