View Poll Results: you know the drill

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 - The highest grade, minus the extra credit.

32 19.75%
  • 4/5 – It’s like getting B+ instead of A.

61 37.65%
  • 3/5 – The glass is half full/empty.

41 25.31%
  • 2/5 – Batting .400... you wish.

19 11.73%
  • 1/5 – Even the failblog wouldn’t accept the grade.

9 5.56%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review "How the Test Was Won" (LABF02)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Rate & Review "How the Test Was Won" (LABF02)

Bart is informed that he and a select group of students have received perfect scores on a practice test for the upcoming Vice President’s Assessment Test. As a result, he will be exempt from taking the real exam and will be transported by helicopter to a pizza party. Shocked at how Bart could have performed better than she did, Lisa freezes up when it comes time for her to take the exam. However, Bart and the others soon realize their trip is not what it seems, and their day turns into an adventure all its own. Meanwhile, when Homer is late on making an insurance payment, he must avoid bodily accidents at all costs until his insurance check is cashed, making for one very tense afternoon in the all-new “How the Test Was Won” episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, March 1 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SI-2002) (TV-PG L, V)
    calmer than you are

Blog Entries

Let's hope the episode lives up to troymclure17's early rating.
    You can do anything if you put your mind to it.

Everything happens for a reason.

Just be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Don't worry about the world ending today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

NASCAR is still going on right now on Fox. So it may not be until around 8:30 or so until the episode airs on the east coast.

damn Nascar pisses me off!!

Junior Camper

Damn you Nascar...I hate you almost as much as Badhorse, the thoroughbred of sin!

fuck another crash

Edit the Thread Title to Nascar LOL

FUCK YOU STUPID FUCKING NASCAR.

I've got people to meet later, I can't have Simpsons starting late. Fuck. I hate watching shit on Hulu.

Nascar. Most. Pointless. Sport. Ever.

Well I don't care for the speed, but I can't get enough of that safety gear! Helmets, roll bars, caution flags ...
    Last edited by Universal Polymath; 03-01-2009 at 05:50 PM.

will it start?

Blog Entries

in the intro, did you notice:

+ lost milhouse bilboard (i guess it changes in every episodes)
    + jessica lovejoy has her black hair back

NHC's fly on the wall treehouse of hutz I, II, & III's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Nascar announcer just announced what is on tonight and when he mentioned American Dad, he said, "Speaking of American Dad, our own (some Nascar guy) is just like Ned Flanders." lol. It made no sense.

Also, the bird flew the other way at the beginning (wish they would just get rid of the damn thing altogether), Ralph's line when the statue head falls on him is different, and the TV didn't fall off the wall at the end.

And I really enjoyed act one! This is shaping up to be a winner.

Homer Mad Homer Smash

My rating: 5/5.

For once, watching the Canadian feed pays off, because GlobalTV in Canada didn't carry NASCAR, so they ran the episode on time.

I really liked this episode -- this is the first time I've given an episode a 5/5 -- maybe ever!

The intro to the show was altered from last time, the billboard in the previous new intro had a pic of Krusty on it, tonight's episode had Milhouse -- I wonder if they are going to have a new gag now that they have a new intro? Maybe call it the billboard gag?

First day of March, and the chalkboard gag reflected that to, with a joke about March Madness, which was cute.

The couch gag was really funny, spoofing classic television shows: The Dick van Dyke Show, The Brady Bunch and Cheers. Though the TV didn't fall off the wall at the end of the gag as it did in the previous intro?

First Act was spot on, and with the switch to high-def you can really see a difference in quality in the animation. The animators must be working extra hard to get in all those little details, like the sharper edges around pretty much everything in the show.

Got to feel sorry for Lisa in this episode, she was totally psyched out when Bart is pulled aside because he "aced" the preview test, and she blew the whole test because of it.

With four acts, they had three story lines going, and they all worked well. One story revolving around Lisa, struggling to overcome her test anxiety, another story about Bart, the Bullies, Ralph, Otto and Skinner out in a tough part of town, and the final story about Homer trying to avoid getting injured, because he forgot to mail in his insurance payment.

Usually when they have so many different plots going on, they end up rushing through to conclude them, but all of these worked as fully separate stories.

Some bits and pieces I liked:

The Couch Gag

The Billboard Gag

When Homer thinks what accidents may happen during the book club, and how it ends up with Marge in a lesbian make-out session

Willy pulling away the helicopter cover over the bus

How Skinner is tricked to get on the bus

The dumb dance

Otto stoned thinking he's really flying a chopper

Ralph singing while peeing

The attention to detail during Lisa's many distractions in the test room

Ralph thinking he's playing with Elmo -- it was a rat

Skinner's attempt to rescue him, and the conclusion how he learns to really teach

Homer's many attempts to prevent accidents, up to and including the accident with Burns

So many more . . .

This really was an excellent episode, lots of laughs and three solid story lines. 5/5.
    OfficerWriter

Considering this episode featured so many usually great secondary characters, and multiple plots happening at once, I can't help but be really disappointed with the end result. Almost none of the humor really did anything for me. None of it was too good, and not much of it was offensively bad (except Ralph singing Spice Girls, the Burns blood gag, the gang of "superstars" acting stupid and making faces, and the Footloose dancing at the end which went on forever and didn't really have a purpose or punchline) The couch gag and the Homer pain montage were the only things that stood out for me at all. The "Whacking Day" retreading also stood out to me, with all the dumb kids being tucked away. I'm also not really even entirely sure why Skinner was sent off by Chalmers. Did he have a specific motive?

These Otto jokes are becoming so predictable too. Not a fan of the constant drive to make Otto into the most one-dimensional character ever.

And again, for three episodes in a row, I need to say: I despise the 4-act format!

2/5 probably.
    Last edited by Tomacco; 03-01-2009 at 06:08 PM.
    Signature.

Homer Mad Homer Smash

Just re-watching the FOX American feed -- notice how Maggie shot Mr. Burns (so-to-speak) again?

Love this episode!

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

This was pretty bad. The long montage of Homer/pain gags, Ralph singing Spice Girls, a lot of characters sounded off (especially Chalmers), Marge and Lindsey kissing, and most of the stuff involving the bullies, the end part with Mr. Burns and the Footloose ending were all terrible. All of the sub-plots were pretty boring and not really funny. Otto and the couch gag were the highlight of this one. There seemed to be a lot of dragged out dialogue.

The sub-plot with Skinner did have potential, but they just pulled it off so badly. This episode also had a lot of filler, they dragged many jokes on too long and this is AFTER a long couch gag and a long montage of clips. I had such hope for the LABFs after the last episode.

Did anyone notice that they changed the billboard in the opening sequence? I guess that's going to be a new thing.

I laughed so hard when that guy got knocked out by a crumpled piece of paper.

I actually liked the episode except for the Mr. Burns blood joke the stupid dancing at the end, which may have been funny if it hadn't lasted so long.

Resident Astray's Counterpart

I only saw the last half or something like that. I will say that that I thought it was pretty funny, and I could seriously relate to the test plot...And I haven't really related to most episodes lately. The Homer/Marge plot seemed unnecessary, except as a way to get Homer/Marge into the episode. Mr. Burns' blood probably didn't need to come out Homer's ear, and while I found the end funny it did seem to just be there to take up time.

Also, hey, look, Allison Taylor (nothing new about that).

For now, I'm going to go with an average 3/5.

Now to watch King of the Hill. Mwaha?
    Last edited by Godfrey; 03-01-2009 at 06:19 PM.

Blog Entries

My Rating 5+/5+

After watching those Nascars make my eyes go round -n round, I was in the mood for quality entertainment, and tonight's episode delivered! Great couch gag! Extra long,.. just how I like it. I liked Willie's name-off of the flunky boys.

Everybody Footloose!

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was RIGHT! The copter to pizza was just a ruse to get the dumbards out and make the school look better!

Anway, this was the most fucked up Simpsons episodes since it went from hillarious to fucking retarded in a split second and the just plain odd (Skinner on the crate and Footlose). I-I don't know what to say...

Grade: ? / 5, or K+

A pioneer against horseplay Screaming Editor's Avatar

Liked the episode.
    Loved the "Lost Child-No Reward" I just hope billboard ads dont go stale soon.
    Liked the couch gag, but why are they so long?
    I thought it was very weird that they included such a long clip montage in a normal episode, and it was just weird because they were all in standard definition. Plus, why include clips from THOH? they arent official canon.
    Act One-Liked:
    Nelson-"He Stinks"
    Mrs. Krabappel teaching the pattern of answers
    the Number 2 gag
    Act Two-Liked:
    Them acting stupid
    Homer being labeled a security risk
    Chalmers Going Nuts
    Ralph calling Skinner Mommy
    Ralph singing spice girls...best of the episode.
    "I finished before we came in."
    Act Three-Liked:
    Homers dream sequence
    Ralph playing with the rat
    Act Four-Liked
    The cheese cube gag
    Maggie Shooting mr burns-again
    Ralph Running in circles
    4.5/5- +.5 for Ralph= 5/5

well due to Nascar my Tivo fucked up, and it skipped the 3rd act, it went from Marge kissing that layer lady to everyone dancing. But other then that it was a pretty good episode, REALLY FUNNY, the most I've laughed at the Simpsons all this season. So from what I was able to watch, I'll give it a 4/5

For some reason, this episode really worked for me! As someone who hardly ever gets much anything out of this show anymore, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed that.

The only gag that really fell flat was the blood-squirting thing. The Footloose thing - I'm not really sure what to think of it, yet. It occurred to me, even as I was chuckling at it, that I don't usually go for that kind of gag. But for some reason it struck me funny. Well, it did at first, until it dragged on a bit too long.

Overall, though, it hasn't been this good in a really long time. Easy 4/5.

i wonder if this will fit the

wow, that sucked.

nice couch gag. the cheers joke i didnt understand until the 3rd commercial break...kelsey grammar played on cheers, and sideshow bob walked in.

notes about the opening: ralph has changed from "ahh!" to "its dark!"
    billboard change
    jessica lovejoy's hair is correct

overall, not alot of redeeming qualities here. ralph was annoying throughout most of the episode, especially the spice girls thing. chalmers wasnt bad, but he was really off for most of the episode.

i enjoyed the homer subplot. the whole "marge-lindsey" make out thing was stupid. and i'll go ahead and admit i chuckled at homer putting his mouth on burns' nose. that reminds me, this episode was extremely wacky.

but past all that, just an insanely bad episode imo. cant think of a point when i actually laughed heartily (i chuckled at the beginning of the burns joke, sadly). and that leads me to deliver my first 1/5 of the season.

Junior Camper

What a pleasant surprise!

Spectacular episode! This wasn't at all the direction I expected this story to go in but I was happy with what they did. Overall the whole thing was very funny, and just left a huge smile on my face. Nothing groundbreaking, but I loved it.

Great character moments aplenty! Otto, Bart, Willie, Ralph, Millhouse, Skinner, all had great stuff this ep.

5 out of 5

Loved the Montage.....it gave us a veiw of the older episodes in HD

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One more thing...the best part of the episode was the kids making all the funny faces, especially Bart's "Ullman Face."

i wonder if this will fit the

^i too noticed bart's ullman face. made me smile.

Junior Camper

I have to agree with Universal Polymath... I was pleasantly surprised at how good this was. I had tuned in on the last episode just to see how the show looked in HD, and was reminded of why I don't watch the show anymore. Tonight, I watched again, mostly to see if they changed anything in the opening, and actually found myself enjoying the episode.

There were a few dumb gags as others have pointed out, and I could've done without the extended injury montage. But for the most part it almost felt like a lost season 5 episode. The characterizations, plots, and the overall tone of the episode really reminded me of the good old days, and there were some pretty sharp one-liners too. If this is an indication of where the "LABF" episodes are going, perhaps I'll become a regular viewer again. Then again, I remember seeing glimmers of hope like this earlier in the Jean era, only to be let down the following week.

I'd give this a 3.5/5 - it wasn't without its flaws, and it did seem pretty obviously stretched out, but it was still a strong step in the right direction.
    Last edited by mjb1124; 03-01-2009 at 06:42 PM.

Thread Information