View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 - Sit perfectly still: only I may dance!

38 20.00%
  • 4/5 - What good is money if it can't inspire terror in your fellow man?

85 44.74%
  • 3/5 - Look at that outrageous markup! You magnificent bastard, I salute you!

47 24.74%
  • 2/5 - I won't lie to you. On this job, you will be shot at

10 5.26%
  • 1/5 - Marge, there ain't enough booze in this place to make you look good.

10 5.26%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review "Take My Life, Please (LABF01)"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate & Review "Take My Life, Please (LABF01)"

Featuring all-new main titles and in the first ever HD episode of the series, Homer gets a glimpse of what his life would have been like if he had been elected class president in high school in the all-new "Take My Life, Please" episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, Feb. 15 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

Last edited by Thrillho; 02-15-2009 at 02:53 PM.

Blog Entries

and ramier wolfcastle thought i was making the threads early
    calmer than you are

Blog Entries

To paraphrase Dan Qualye:

"One word sums up the duties of a Simpsons fan, and that word is 'to be prepared'!"
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

Resident Astray's Counterpart

I forgot today was the day.

I must ready my Duff Beer hat and silence my cell phone. Then afterwards I will spend an hour in silent contemplation and deep meditation, then emerge with an small but semi-accurate review about how it was okay.

Why should they be happy?! The Law-Talkin' Guy's Avatar

5 / 5 for the Bruce Wayne Batman joke. Overall, a very enjoyable episode.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

I don't have enough time for a full review, so some quick comments.

Nothing fancy or particularily memorable, but I liked it.

The Highlights
    The cut between Homer in the wading pool outside and inside. A simple joke, but well executed.
    The twist that Dondelinger rigged the election to protect Homer. Nicely done.
    Some nice continuity with the prom from The Way We Was. There was even a ref to Homer to the Max (Debbie Pinsent)
    Lenny and Carl were really funny in this episode.

The Lowlights
    Quimby's voice sounded really off.
    Vance Conner was pretty boring, they could have made him more interesting.
    This episode was screaming for a Jon Lovitz cameo.
    The Al Gore thing kinda came out of nowhere and didn't do much.

3.5/5.
    Last edited by McClure; 02-15-2009 at 05:41 PM.

kept switching back and forth between hd and standard def. love to see it letterboxed...just looked cool. new title sequence looked nice in hd, too.

however, boring episode. maybe three jokes i liked - the lord/god joke, "i like to stir", and some of homer's quips. more detailed too. lotta freze frame on the wall, thank god for hd. liked "moe's tavern - now in high def". story in the episode was ok, the ending could have been way better. animation was top notch, as it has been this season. just didn't like the episode much. maybe needs a rewatch.

edit: forgot about the sandtrap joke. great gag.

3/5, C.
    Last edited by red_planet; 02-15-2009 at 05:42 PM.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This was the most typical of the Jean-Era: Lifeless, but inoffensive. There really wasn't anything bad/terrible, but there wasn't anything all that great. IMO, the best joke was Bart going into the water trap then emerging from the sand trap.

The only other dissapointment, yet not surprising, was the expectation the coloring/shading in the actual episode was going to match up with the new opening sequence.

Solid: 3/5

(BTW, did anyone have any Macroblocking issues while watching it in HD? The black lines around some of the the characters, especially Dondelinger (sp) became somewhat blurry and I recieve an almost perfect HD signal.)

This was actually a good one. Tongue in Check jokes as well as the other gags were pretty great. The only problem i really had was with the HD. It was as annoying and show offy as the twilight zone episodes shot in tape. Shows really shouldnt switch format, it just looks to different. 4/5

3/5. It had many good points but still I dislike episodes that erase the continuity of the show.
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    (BTW, did anyone have any Macroblocking issues while watching it in HD? The black lines around some of the the characters, especially Dondelinger (sp) became somewhat blurry and I recieve an almost perfect HD signal.)
    i watched the first and fourth acts in high def and didn't have any trouble.

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by tom cody View Post
    3/5. It had many good points but still I dislike episodes that erase the continuity of the show.
    But this didn't do that. It merely depicted a POSSIBLE alternate past (and present). Whereas episodes like "That 90s Show" or "Dangerous Curves" actually depict the characters' ACTUAL past differently from how they were shown previously.

I enjoyed the episode, but I decided I am not a fan of the 4-act format at all. Hi-def though looked great. More thoughts later.
    Signature.

Actually it did fuck up a bit of continuity.

Notice how Smithers is Mr. Burns assistant in the flashbacks.... While Homer is still in high school.

This is all I have in life son of a wiggum's Avatar
    The useless piece of land between New York and Los Angeles called America

One of the better episodes of the season so far, went down hill as the episode went on but still good
    Loved the box gag, the Bruce Wayne, sand trap, thought the stirring guy was actually pretty good, line at the end about the Korean restaurant

Is the opening sequence permanant? I hope so

This is all I have in life son of a wiggum's Avatar
    The useless piece of land between New York and Los Angeles called America

Quote Originally Posted by NINirvana69 View Post
    Actually it did fuck up a bit of continuity.

Notice how Smithers is Mr. Burns assistant in the flashbacks.... While Homer is still in high school.
    Smithers continuity has never been any good. In one episode, they specifically say he's 40, making him older than Homer. In another, they show him being beaten up by Homer, in another, they show him as an infant when Homer's 12

Of these, I think the 138th ES is the best, and it fits with this story too

Homer Mad Homer Smash

My rating: 4/5.

Pretty decent episode, featuring the first major change in the life of the show, now in Hi- Def.

I didn't like Vance's character, for someone who was so popular and powerful, he lacked any real substance. It would have been nice if they had some other character that we were already familiar with on the show, then at least we could have a history to work with.

Homer sulking in the kiddie pool was hilarious, and when he came into the house with the pool equally as funny.

The golf course scene with Dillinger was okay, but wasn't really all that funny. Though it was a nice plot twist to have him rig the election, to protect Homer, despite actually hating him.

The whole future in the sauce thing was interesting. I liked Lisa kept being the usual voice of reason, and in the end, how Homer's ideal life would be exactly the same, except without the kids.

One thing I thought odd -- if Lenny and Carl were in high school with Homer, how come Mr. Burns knows about them? When Smithers suggests where to put Homer, after Burns offers him a job, he says something about "no, that's where the Lenny and Carl's should work." (Or something to that effect.) And as Lenny and Carl go onto college to get degrees -- as indicated in previous episodes -- they wouldn't have applied for jobs as of yet.

Other than that, it was a pretty decent episode. I thought the ending was cute too -- how they decide to go to a restaurant that can show you your death . . .

ROTFL
    Last edited by OfficerWriter; 02-15-2009 at 06:00 PM.
    OfficerWriter

On a side note, that King of the Hill that just ended was great

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Haha, I liked the HD-related gags – Bart’s line about Homer’s hands was the best one.

Unfortunately, though, I was kind of… disappointed by this one. It just felt… The pacing was strange. It picked up at the end of the first act and I was starting to get into it then (which is typically about as long as it takes me to get into these newer episodes), but it lost me again at just how… awkward everything about the class president stuff was. At least there was an explanation as to why Homer would’ve won after that terrible speech, and there were some nice continuity nods at the prom, but…

I didn’t like the exaggerated, overly cartoony way the episode chose to portray Homer’s life after being elected. I’d say that’s my big problem with this episode. Sure, you could blame it on the sauce and say “Oh, it’s sauce, it’s simplistic and stupid” or something, but… Just… I would’ve liked something more realistic (and, therefore, meaningful).

Like that scene where Homer’s walking through the hallways and some of those kids came up to him, asking about various problems. I was hoping that would lead to Homer realizing that as Class President, he’d have a lot more work to do – which doesn’t suit Homer, the kid who skipped all of his morning classes to smoke in the bathroom and go have an early lunch. Homer was still a slacker before any elections, and he’d still be one after. Maybe the whole “fate smiled on him” would have been seen better – because I got it here, but it wasn’t shown all that well – if we could’ve seen how miserable Homer would’ve been with the extra work and how, you know, this life just wasn’t meant for him. It’s absurd to think that, well, just by winning an election his life would have done a complete 180. And it’s stupid and childish and not what I expect out of The Simpsons.

I think they were going for something more meaningful with that ending shot of the family walking together, but it was lost. There wasn’t much meaning to this, and considering the way they started it off, it really should have gone the more humorous route – too bad there wasn’t much funny, either. I can’t recall many jokes that actually made me laugh, or even smirk. (I actually got the most fun out of trying to catch the names on the wall, which is where I got my biggest laughs. I'm pretty sure I caught Bill Cosby in the corner.)

I still did enjoy myself some, but really, this was pretty disappointing. Especially because it did have great potential. 3/5, I guess. At least it was pretty.

This Simpsons was Awesome! 5/5!!
    The new opening rocks!
    I looked into the sauce and saw an episode that is a timeless classic. It was a better show than I deserved, but I got it anyways! This IS a blessed day!

Blog Entries

i can say that i like it better than 'eternal moonshine of simpson mind', which i felt has a same vibe as tonight's episode. i do not think the episode is overall spectacular, but it is in the 'hall of pretty decent/good' for me.

first, the jokes and presentations... i do not think the jokes were really the outstanding part of the episode. the dialogues and plot progression did not feel really slow, but homer's expression of 'mixed emotion' thing took too long and unfunny ergo one dark spot of the episode for me and dondelinger's (spelling) reminiscent of 'women he could've met'... well, felt very unnecessary and i did not really see the point of actually showing us having him wonder about it anyways (him having it wonder about it does make a point considering the context, but the scene... meh) like i've said, the episode is not a gagfest, but there were occasionally 'heh' moments like, vance connor kissing cbg's belly, bart going into water trap and out of sand trap, etc.... but the whole episode felt bland now that i think about it; overall, this section of episode was just like other jean era episodes for me: some jokes scattered around, bland atmosphere that sometimes get livened up, some jokes that takes too long and unfunny etc., but overall not awful.

plot was a big cheese in the episode for me. i quite liked lenny's involvement while carl had his moments also; the ending did not really feel much 'forced' as seen in the moonshine episode last year (well, i did not hat the ending of that episode, but it clearly felt something was lacking on there) and was actually sweet, reminded me of declan desmond's documentary of homer in 'springfield up', but i like this ending better... it lacked a twist that would've put some volume on episode's atmosphere (which i'd liked to have it to happen), but felt natural; not much complaints here. i'd have liked to see some hints that homer would end up with marge... hell, he also had a hot date (debbie pinson... sounded familiar since i watched 'homer to the max' recently) it seemed that homer's attraction to marge during the dance seemed kind of forced in my initial sense - since it felt kind of out of nowhere - so the 'what woudl've been' world matched to the real world, but one thing that assures me that it's not that bad since homer would still have his animal magnetic attraction to marge whether he won the class president or not; a questionable point, but it did not really kill imo. i actually liked the old guy who made the sauce; it seemed initially that he'd be a boring dude with mundane attitude and such, but he did have his time to shine (asking familiy to shut lisa up, tricking homer into talk to the garlic bread, etc.) have no idea homer would've handled that much success in the 'what would've been' world though, i thought he'd just crashed and burnt and it would get real life homer to appreciate his life much more, which is one big question mark. but... eh, i guess a person could change for something big that have happened to him or her, but just an unsure thought.

overall, after i watched the episode, i really felt that the episode was like, 4/5-ed all over: pretty decent, not spectacular, but worth a mention at times. which, is what i voted for. i have yet to see an episode that surpasses the quality of 'lost verizon' for it is my favorite of season 20 so far imo, but i think it has a good chance of tying 'lisa the drama queen' for second best of season 20 for me... so far. 4/5 B

ps. the best line of the episode, for me, was bart's comment about korean bbq restaurant... well, it related something to my heritage lol
    Last edited by sung; 02-15-2009 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceiwynd View Post
    ...which doesn’t suit Homer, the kid who skipped all of his morning classes to smoke in the bathroom and go have an early lunch.
    zuh?
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsfan20 View Post
    My view: You can show pictures of people in the nude, you can show pictures of people having sex, you can even show kids naked, but SHOW HOMER 'DOING IT' WITH LISA AND I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN.

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

liked the return of dondelinger and the batman joke 4/5
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Quote Originally Posted by Snack Related Mishap View Post
    zuh?
    ... The Way We Was? I'm pretty sure I got that right.

Are we talking weed or cigarettes? I don't remember this at all.

Blog Entries

zuh?
    i think what she meant is that homer really feels like a different type of person as a class president than what he was portrayed as a high school student in 'the way we was', which made a bit of connection to this episode; they do not really match... and yeah, i do feel a bit of questionable sense in that aspect

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

I really liked the episode, mainly for the new amazing animation (it looks just like the movie) and the nods to the past flashback episodes. The one MAJOR problem I had was the complete lack of Barney, wtf! I thought he would have been his running mate or something. I knew Lenny and Carl were going ot overshadow him again

O well it was still a pretty good episode, 4/5
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

Are we talking weed or cigarettes? I don't remember this at all.
    Pretty sure it was cigarettes, I remember Homer and Barney going into the bathroom together, talking while lighting up, I think Marge and her friend walked by outside the boys' bathroom door at some point saying that "The shop kids always smoke," things like that, and Dondelinger coming in and dragging both of their asses off to detention upon catching them.

And thanks Dewey, that's what I was getting at, yeah.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iceiwynd View Post
    Pretty sure it was cigarettes, I remember Homer and Barney going into the bathroom together, talking while lighting up, I think Marge and her friend walked by outside the boys' bathroom door at some point saying that "The shop kids always smoke," things like that, and Dondelinger coming in and dragging both of their asses off to detention upon catching them.

And thanks Dewey, that's what I was getting at, yeah.
    Yeah, your right

Weird, I don't recall that at all. Thanks though

Thread Information