View Poll Results: you know the drill

Voters
176. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 -“Wow, chocolate half-price!”

18 10.23%
  • 4/5 -“Two all-beef patties special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame-seed bun.”

35 19.89%
  • 3/5 -“Impaled on my Nobel Peace Prize: how ironic.”

60 34.09%
  • 2/5 -"My diagnosis: bad babysitting!"

34 19.32%
  • 1/5 -“Damn TV, you've ruined my imagination..."

29 16.48%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review “Lisa the Drama Queen (KABF22)”

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hummmm...The good news are that there was a story, it was focussed, it didn't feel too rushed, it didn't feel as if they were forcing jokes too much, the family was well used/characterised, there wasn't a subplot and there was not an unrelated first act.

The bad news are that even with all that they didn't manage to tell the story correctly and it didn't live up to its fantastic potential. It was also a little forgettable and boring at times.

Juliet's character was definitely underdeveloped as it was the whole Equalia thing. I didn't really like how this was introduced. Lisa just listened about it and she can imagine it in a minute too! And yeah, it would have been very interesting to see how this magic world helps Lisa too, considering that she's usually frustrated with the reality in her family.

The episode was about Lisa having a close friend which is new for her (not so much, but I'll take it) and also about this whole thing with the fantastic world. By the third act is seems that the writers were more interested in the novelty of the magic kingdom thing rather than developing the friendship story. Jean is starting to overuse this whole "Calvin and Hobbes"-like children fantasy thing, so it's not such a novelty anymore. It worked very well in "Haw Hawed Couple", but it was kind of odd in "Romeold and Juli-eh". Here it was mixed, they seemed to jump too quickly from the reality to the imaginary world, all the time.

The friendship part was meh. It started pretty well, but they wasted some time here and there (yet another use of pop/rock music added to a scene that doesn't say anything, the two girls in the museum). The best part was the use of the family there. Marge was great and so were Homer and Bart. I liked how these two didn't try to steal the show, but they were there as supporting actors. Great visual gag with Homer too (Ned's mug).

But the relationship itself lacked some depth. I don't think they were trying to imply lesbianism, or at least, not seriously. Maybe as an odd joke. I mean, "Haw Hawed Couple" seemed to describe some gay relationship sometimes, with "Brokeback Mountain" references, no less, but I still don't think they wanted to say Bart and Nelson were gay. And I don't want to sound homophobic, but I don't think it would be a very good idea to make Lisa lesbian now (talk about jumping the shark!). Thing is the episode would probably be deeper if they were really meant to be lesbian. It would have been done in a subtle way, but since I don't think that's what they were trying to do, what we really have is a poorly explored relationship based on cliche.

I have mixed feelings about the last act. Putting the girls in a cage seems a little too much even for the bullies. You've to believe they are all children playing and they are annoyed cause the girls are in their territory, but still. I don't know if they would do that to a boy and they are not normally so mean with the girls. They are small delinquents, they steal things and they hit people, but they don't usually kidnap other people locking them in small places. Maybe a more adult and sinister guy like Herman or Snake could have done that. On the other hand I loved the visual gag with Jimbo looking like Marge and Dolph like Bart.

I also have mixed feelings about Kearney believing in Equalia too, these jumps from reality to fantasy world seemed kind of weird to me, with Kearney transforming in a dragon and all that...I don't know, sometimes it seems like an excuse to introduce weird, surreal stuff that they are not normally "allowed" to use in regular episodes (a little like the whole game thing in Marge Gamer). However, the twist of Kearney not being the winner in the real life was pretty funny/clever and it almost saved the scene for me.

There was that hilarious bit with Comic Book Guy in the first act that I forgot to mention. I loved it, pretty unexpected use of a secondary character.

And one complain I forgot to mention, maybe Jean will explain some day what's so inherently funny about Ipods?

It's more like a 3/5 but since I really liked how they stayed on focus during the whole story and the use the family as supporting characters I'll give it 4/5.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

Stonecutter

As far as the KAB's are concerned, I started a rate/review thread on them but couldn't remember a lot of the episodes! This really was a forgetable Season. They're are no bad episodes for me, although a couple of very dull episodes, THOH for example. Although there are a handful of episode which make the Season respectable, but all in a generally enjoyable but forgetable Season (KAB).

Quote Originally Posted by Rococo Fox View Post
    Uh, a lot of the jokes were obviously parodying typical romantic relationship dynamics.
    Then Bart and Lisa must have an incestuous relationship, if the gags in Dangerous Curves are anything to go by. Their actions mirrored that of a seasoned married couple for the entire episode.

Personally, I felt the lesbian vibes while watching Lisa and Juliet interact. However, I tend to agree with those who believe that this is originates more from a lack of understanding of childhood innocence and relationships than anything else. Plus, when you consider that the episode was a cross between Heavenly Creatures (a film about two friends with an obsessive relationship who plot to kill one of their mothers after she forbids their friendship, feeling it was bordering on lesbianism) and any number of stock fantasy films, it almost feels non-canonical. I highly doubt that any monumental character moments such as the discovering of ones sexuality would occur within the context of a parody.

Another point I would like to make is that the obsessive nature of their friendship is almost exclusively due to Juliet, and I think that obsessive nature is what a lot of people are pointing to. Ultimately, it really doesn't matter that they're eight years-old, but what does matter is the context in which the friendship originates, and that most of the resistance and wariness comes from Lisa's end. She wanted a friend, she got a friend, didn't want to lose her (in her situation, who would?), and eventually "came to her senses" when Juliet became wearying. If Lisa really had a crush on that girl, would she have cut off their friendship with such ease?

This episode was pretty damn funny. I'll be quoting that Belgian line a lot.

Yeah Um I'm Ah Wondering! Jimbo77's Avatar

2/5 not one of my favorites
    Resident Alien -- www.residentalienband.com

While the episode was entertaining, it felt quite dull. A few good jokes and gags, like the Willie flashback, was there, but it was nothing that really made me laugh; but I did like the involvement of the bullies in the third act. I didn't feel any lesbian undertones in the Lisa/Juliet interactions so I admit that I differ slightly from you others; maybe I can see the vibes now after i've read what you others said in this topic, but it was nothing I predominantly noticed during the watch.

A 3/5 feels about right for this episode.

Blog Entries

This is the first time I've looked at this thread and to be honest, the mediocore poll results suprise me. I really enjoyed the episode. i found the plot to be interesting and well-flowing. I also enjoyed most of the gags, like Bart skateboarding out of the tree. Some of them were a little lame, but they were still okay.

Now I'm not forcing my opinion on people, I just think that this is the episode that many fans would find decent. I just think that compared to the other episodes this season, I can't see why this would have the worst poll results.

Overall: A-/A (3rd best of the season for me.)

PS: I like the new four-act formula because the episode seems longer even though I know it isn't.
    You can do anything if you put your mind to it.

Everything happens for a reason.

Just be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Don't worry about the world ending today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

Aberdeen Strangler

Thumbs Up

I'm not normally a fan of Lisa based episodes but Lisa the drama queen and Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words have been the best episodes this season.
    " If we choose we can live in a world of comforting illusion" Noam Chomsky

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaAD View Post
    This episode was pretty damn funny. I'll be quoting that Belgian line a lot.

Yeah I think that was the best line in the whole episode too. It was genuinly pretty funny to me, and from Martin no less. Maybe there's a potential sardonic side to him they never got to use.

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

The episode was adequate....I quite liked the character of Lisa's new friend, even if she didn't sound remotely like a child. The troubled aspect of the character gave things an added dimension in that while she probably seems more intelligent than the Simpson family, she is probably less mentally stable than even Homer is. Also enjoyed the very subtle hints at the friendship being slightly more than it was (though any viewer knows that it was a friendship and nothing more). One problem was that I didn't like how the friendship between Lisa and Juliet ended. It was over much too quickly and the resolution was unsatisfactory. Overall, a nice, subtle and understated episode.

On the whole I felt it was enjoyable enough. The story ended a bit abruptly for my liking which was a bit disappointing given the build up to the last act was pretty decent and it didn't fit with the bond and rapport that Lisa and Juliet had established with one another, giving it an air of "Well, you're not a supporting character. Please exit, stage left". I actually thought the montage was used quite well though. Better it be used to quickly advance through events that don't need to go into much detail than advancing the plot from A to B far too quickly.

I also enjoyed the memorable moments that have been posted so far (the reveal of Kearney actually being the one getting beaten up while he smiles blissfully was disturbingly funny in a twisted way) but others I wasn't so keen on. Homer's antics at the dinner party for example weren't too bad but for the most part it was a bit too over the top - and admittedly done so many times before - that it didn't appeal to me all that much. Didn't hate it, didn't love it; I preferred the latest variation of him having unexpected knowledge with his familiarity with UN procedure. Count me in as someone who's tired of the gags involving characters sticking unusual things in their ears to block out sound though Wiggum having the pistols in his ears was good for a chuckle.

A 3.5/5 for me, rounded up to 4/5 in the poll.
    "How could this have happened?
    We started out like Romeo & Juliet but it ended up in tragedy..."
    - Milhouse Van Houten

Honestly, it's a forgettable episode. Just one of the filler episodes that makes up a season, despite straying from the normal Simpsons' formula.

I did not like:
    -Juliet's voice acting
    Her voice did not fit the role it was chosen for.

-Kearney's characterisation
    I could accept that he could take part in the fantasy but the "For Equalia" segment was alien to the Simpsons.
    It made me cringe and the dragon part looked and felt like something out of a children's television show.

-Overuse of songs and singing
    I didn't know who Josh Groban was before I watched the episode and don't wish to know any more of him since.
    Lisa and Juliet singing to one of the songs was unnecessary and unentertaining.
    To use the songs twice after that was just simply superfluous.

-Bullies tying up Lisa and Juliet
    I just don't think it's something they'd do.
    Besides this, why straight after this are they in lobster pots?

-Juliet's Goodbye
    Sometimes it's better short and sweet but Juliet had barely finished her last line before exclaiming "Goodbye Lisa" and riding away.
    I honestly wonder if this is the result of bad editing since it was so apparent.

-Friendship Ending
    It was so strange that a "best friendship" would end so abruptly over one disagreement.
    I know that the episode has to return the Simpsons to normality but I don't think it was handled well.

-Plot
    It didn't feel as if a lot happened in this episode.
    I was surprised when I saw it was nearly over and barely anything had transpired.

-Bart's lines
    Bart could honestly have been omitted from this episode. His lines were unnecessary and seem to be added just for the sake of something to say.

Redeeming:

-Kearney's fantasy being the opposite in reality
    Honestly, part of it was relief that the dragon section ended.

-Marge's characterisation
    I was pleasantly surprised with how Marge was handled in this episode.
    Usually, she is annoying or just a vehicle for moving the plot forward but this episode was an exception.

-A number of funny jokes
    Marge's woo-hoo, Groundskeeper Willie, Bully silhouettes etc.
    There were a few amusing moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Krikt View Post
    Honestly, it's a forgettable episode. Just one of the filler episodes that makes up a season, despite straying from the normal Simpsons' formula.

I did not like:

-Kearney's characterisation
    I could accept that he could take part in the fantasy but the "For Equalia" segment was alien to the Simpsons.
    It made me cringe and the dragon part looked and felt like something out of a children's television show.

-Overuse of songs and singing
    I didn't know who Josh Groban was before I watched the episode and don't wish to know any more of him since.
    Lisa and Juliet singing to one of the songs was unnecessary and unentertaining.
    To use the songs twice after that was just simply superfluous.
    Yeah, I agree with these.
    Signature.

I thought Kearney's depiction as a dragon was supposed to be Lisa and Juliet's imagination rather than his, in which case it fit in fairly well with the rest of their "Equalia" scenes. The way I interpreted it, he simply tried to stand up to Jimbo and Dolph but in Lisa and Juliet's imagination he morphed into a dragon and cried "For Equalia", regardless of whether he actually said it or not in reality (or anything at all).

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Yeah, but then when we see what's really happening, it's Kearney with a blissful look on his face, implying that what we just saw prior to that reveal was Kearney's imagination, and that he got as sucked up into the whole thing as Lisa and Juliet did.

LOL Hi

I dnt tink it was as gud as season 19 and I'm not just saying tat like pepole always say its not as gud as five years ago every 5 years
    But The bully ( Cerny tink) broke character even do it was kinda funny, and what was with them sing on the ipod 4 ages ( Ipods have been in it alot lately hmm..) but it would be impossible for the show not to change over 20 years I'm sure alot of the staff Have moved on to other things so It mightint be the same pepole and everyone has there own unique opinons and sense of humor it would be impossible not to change I'm sure the next one will be beta!
    I hope it does cause I've been watching them all my life they were out years before I was born I'm 15 lol

Quote Originally Posted by SexySimpson View Post
    I dnt tink it was as gud as season 19 and I'm not just saying tat like pepole always say its not as gud as five years ago every 5 years
    But The bully ( Cerny tink) broke character even do it was kinda funny, and what was with them sing on the ipod 4 ages ( Ipods have been in it alot lately hmm..) but it would be impossible for the show not to change over 20 years I'm sure alot of the staff Have moved on to other things so It mightint be the same pepole and everyone has there own unique opinons and sense of humor it would be impossible not to change I'm sure the next one will be beta!
    I hope it does cause I've been watching them all my life they were out years before I was born I'm 15 lol
    This post isn't helping the drunk Irish stereotype.

Welcome, friend!

Quote Originally Posted by iceiwynd View Post
    Yeah, but then when we see what's really happening, it's Kearney with a blissful look on his face, implying that what we just saw prior to that reveal was Kearney's imagination, and that he got as sucked up into the whole thing as Lisa and Juliet did.
    Perhaps, though what he was imagining wasn't necessarily what Lisa and Juliet "saw". In any case, it didn't bother me too much as I felt the payoff was worth it.

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

I thought it was decent overall. I think most of the negativity has been covered

Re: Fall Out Boy, the theme itself was good, but I didn't like the way the song was "introduced" and basically just shoehorned into the episode for no reason. It would have been better to wait for a more appropriate episode that warranted a rock theme. A fantasy theme (like the renaissance version in Lisa's Wedding) would have fit better here.

Also, I'm baffled that people are bitching about FOB but not Groban. I'm not a FOB fan, but if you're gonna bash music, his is far worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillho View Post
    Dangerous Curves - 8.16 million viewers
    All About Lisa - 6.18 million viewers
    Mona Leaves-A - 6.02 million viewers
    Lisa the Drama Queen - 5.75 million viewers
    Surely the very early episodes had fewer viewers, before it got popular?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    now the writers have to make sure the plot moves in such a way that lends itself to 3 mini-cliffhangers instead of just 2, which i'd imagine would be challenging and maybe creatively limiting. we'll see though
    I've noticed that a lot of older episodes don't have such prominent "mini-cliffhangers", quite often it's just the end of a scene (normally a joke), then the next act just continues on with the story.

Out of interest, where were the act breaks in this episode?
    Simpson Crazy
    Now with iGoogle gadgets! Try Quote of the Day and Word of the Day

my other sites: Toon images · Song Lyrics · Website tutorials

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Uncle Skeleton View Post
    Out of interest, where were the act breaks in this episode?
    1st Act Break: Lisa and Juliet become best friends.
    2nd Act Break: Lisa is forbidden to see Juliet ever again.
    3rd Act Break: Lisa and Juliet are discovered by the bullies.

i gave it a 1/5, in my opinion a very poor episode

Absolute trash. Not only boring but it was plain weird...
    Lightspeed Briefs, as seen in your dreams.
    My deviantART page

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

Quote Originally Posted by D'ohmer View Post
    1st Act Break: Lisa and Juliet become best friends.
    2nd Act Break: Lisa is forbidden to see Juliet ever again.
    3rd Act Break: Lisa and Juliet are discovered by the bullies.
    Hmm, the last act break seems kind of pointless, given that the first two were about 7 mins and 14 mins in. I was expecting 4 acts of about 5 minutes each. I guess that's why I didn't notice the act breaks (I didn't know about the change before watching).

I guess we just see what future episodes bring...

Not sure if anyone else did this, but I looked up the soundtrack to The Pelican Brief and track 3 is indeed entitled "Researching the Brief". Kudos on the accuracy, writers.

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Brief-...3964488&sr=8-1

I have to say the concept of the episode was good, but it just became poorly executed and weird!

The constant Josh Groban songs - please I'd rather listen to Luminita Soare (check Youtube ) than his bellowing. The whole friendship itself was just a "flash in the pan" thing with how close they got and them getting involved in their fantasy world! I think it was blatantly obvious that Juliet had a few issues.

There was some funny bits such as Lisa and Bart at the Kwike mart. The "you just killed her Bart" line was hilarious I also found the bit where Homer was speaking to Juliet's father quite funny too.

I give this 2/5 - It was just poorly executed and odd!
    Top 25 Simpsons episodes:

1. $pringfield
    2. Homer Badman
    3. Secrets of a Succesfull Marriage
    4. Blood Feud
    5. Last Exit to Springfield
    6. The Cartridge Family
    7. Lisa Gets An A
    8. Lisa The Simpson
    9. A Milhouse Divided
    10.Treehouse of Horror III
    11.Homer and Apu
    12.Half-Decent Proposal
    13.It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Marge
    14.Homer the Heretic
    15.Homer v Patty and Selma
    16.Itchy and Scratchy Land
    17.Marge Be Not Proud
    18.A Fish Called Selma
    19.Homer's Phobia
    20.A Star Is Torn
    21.The Ziff Who Came To Dinner
    22.Bart The Genuis
    23.Like Father, Like Clown
    24.Joy of Sect
    25.Girlie Edition.

Blog Entries

The Good:
    Characterization
    Use of Homer and Bart
    Juliet's accent

The Bad:
    Abrupt ending
    I HATE Josh Groban

All in all, a pretty good episode, although not as good as "Dangerous Curves" (which, I don't care what anybody says, I consider a classic!)

4/5, B+

coonerisms are spool dapper dan's Avatar

I was out of the country when this aired so I've only just watched it. Unfortunately I'd read a stack of reviews in the meantime saying how "weird" this episode was, and it got my hopes up for some Lucy in the Sky kind of bizzarro episode. Yet it was nothing of the sort, and i was a little disappointed. However on a re-watch I liked it more. Keeping in theme with the feel of the season.

Shiny Happy Fits Of Rage Whip-Smart's Avatar

2/5- pretty dull, one or two amusing moments.
    1: B+ 2: A 3: A 4: A+ 5: A+ 6: A+ 7: A+ 8: A 9: A- 10: C+ 11: B- 12: B 13: B 14: C- 15: D 16: D- 17: D+ 18: C 19: C+ 20: B-
    Homer the Whopper: D / Bart Gets a "Z": C / The Great Wife Hope: C- / Treehouse of Horror XX: B The Devil Wears Nada: D- / Pranks and Greens: C+ / Rednecks and Broomsticks: C+ / Brother, Where Bart Thou?: B-/ Thursdays with Abie: C / Once Upon a Time in Springfield: D / Million Dollar Maybe: D / Boy Meets Curl: D+ / The Color Yellow: D / Postcards from the Wedge: C / Stealing First Base: D / The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed: C / American History X-cellent: C / Chief of Hearts: C+ / The Squirt and the Whale: D / Surveil With Love C-

name from the Simpsons

Toonzone banned me, and I figure a place mentioned on the DVDs all the time was the place.Anyway. Anyone else getting a weird vibe from this episode? I thought Lisa was supposed to grow up to be the first strait female president?
    Also, a band who got their name from the Simpsons

i'm not the biggest Lisa fan, but this episode wasn't so good in general imo. Also because the storypot isn't so interesting for me and i miss also some more funny moments.
    Overall not a bad episode, but not one of the episodes i prefer.

2.5/5

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away ..."

Thread Information