View Poll Results: you know the drill

Voters
178. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 -“Wow, chocolate half-price!”

19 10.67%
  • 4/5 -“Two all-beef patties special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame-seed bun.”

35 19.66%
  • 3/5 -“Impaled on my Nobel Peace Prize: how ironic.”

61 34.27%
  • 2/5 -"My diagnosis: bad babysitting!"

34 19.10%
  • 1/5 -“Damn TV, you've ruined my imagination..."

29 16.29%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review “Lisa the Drama Queen (KABF22)”

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    That's because some people on this board went in looking for Lisa to be a Lesbian.

Saying Lisa's a lesbian in this episode is like saying she's an future alcoholic because of the milk scene in The burns and the Bees.
    I don't think it's just that, since the source material for this episode mentions the fact that some people suspected the two being lovers. For two 8 year olds to be seems to be stretching it a bit, but it's not like posters are clouded by the fact that they are looking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod
    I thought the big parody this episode was based the book & movie "Bridge to Terabithia"?
    Yeah, that too. I didn't catch that, but my girlfriend did. I'm not actually sure what part it was though.

i wonder if this will fit the

This episode amazingly shattered my expectations and turned out to be one of the most creative without being too odd episodes in a while. LONG REVIEW TONIGHT, BTW.

Wow, where to begin? Guess I'll start with the bad. Don't really like the four acts format. I guess I'll get used to it. To me, absolutely no jokes fell flat, there was only maybe...two I didn't smile at. I didn't care for the Darth Vader joke I remember. Lame sign gag near the beginning.

With the bad outta the way, here's my full review.

Opening sequence/Act I: Nice blackboard. Couch gag was pretty cool. Anyone notice on the FOX broadcast it abruptly ended the opening with no black screen and went straight to the lame sign gag?
    The karate reminded me of the old Butterfinger commercial. Comic Book Guy was actually pretty good. Nice joke with the kids attacking him, especially the one biting him arm, nice touch. Lisa's art class scene was not too slow - just seemed kinda odd. Looked like Colin was in there for a few shots, but the hair seemed too dark to be him. Juliet, throughout the episode, was voiced very well, as was Lisa, and even Bart. Marge seemed off in Act I, however. The Josh Grobin gags were alright. The singing went on a little too far, however, after thinking about it...they're 8. More on this later in my post. I loved the joke about "someone has to rule it". Nice act I break, if I remember well.

Act II
    The dinner scene I remember was pretty funny. I liked Homer giving him money to check out his back. Juliet looking into Equalia was fantastic. Especially some of the animation and detail. The sprinklers were a great gag! Homer mistaking Principal Skinner talking about Lisa didn't fall flat, however, wasn't the funniest. My favorite animation point of the episode was either in this act or the next: the scene in which Juliet and Lisa ride along the path, complete with the road turning gold, trees sprouting up, etc. That was really great, some cool animation on the trees. Best joke was "Bart Simpson, Age 10". Really nice act break as well!

Act III/Weird Act IV break thingy
    Kearney enjoying the girls' story was a really enjoyable point in the episode, Kearney's always been more or less used only because he's with the bullies, and to see him with the girls was really nice. No "my son" jokes from him, either! Only real problem with the episode was Juliet and Lisa's quick seperation near the end. I share similar opinions with icewynd on this one, so just go read that post. The "cuckoo" joke wasn't good. The ending was pretty joke-filled, Homer's biography jokes I liked.

I guess they had to throw in, "Ladies and Gentlemen, Fall Out Boy", since they appeared nowhere in the episode, thankfully. Considering the Simpsons have had many ending themes ranging from grunge to punk, I guess Fall Out Boy, who I dread, wasn't that bad. I don't even know what genre they belong to. Punk-Pop? Emo?

Overall, a fantastic episode that helps me deliver my first 5/5 of the season. Well done tonight, Simpsons writers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    The relationship between Lisa and Juliet was kinda creepy after awhile. At first, it seemed like they were just best friends. You know, like Bart and Milhouse. But then Juliet asks Lisa to run away with her, which gave off weird lesbian vibes to me. It's really weird to say that about two characters that are eight years old, because they're obviously not lovers or anything. Their closeness just got kinda weird/creepy toward the end. I don't know if this was intentional on the part of the writers or if I have a warped brain. It just seemed like that was the way it was written.
    To the casual viewer, the episode was probably misleading. The lesbian jokes could get people to think, "Oh, ok, this is really gay. Lisa's a lesbian, look, she's dancing in circles around rainbows". First, I would like to make clear, they're only 8...they're expanding their imaginations by making up a magical land with unicorns...like alot of 8 year old girls.

Lisa hasn't had many friends throughout the series, and having her first "real" friend in this episode was important to her character. She didn't seem to want to let go of her newfound best friend. Just like an 8 year old. It's not lesbian for them to circle around with their imagination swirling around them, it's not lesbian for two lonely 8 year olds who seem to need each other's company to run off together and have fun writing a story...they're only 8. You would need to put yourself in a 8 year old girl's shoes, particularly Lisa, who hasn't had much real friends...without them becoming a rival (Lisa's Rival), or them being much older (Summer of 4'2).

No offense to you, Jims.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Season 20 is fast becoming the season with a lot of great ideas but less-than-great execution. Tonight's episode started off rather cute and charming, but I never felt that the fantasy element really completely took off the way it should've.

I did enjoy the atmosphere and excellent animation that permeated throughout the whole show (not just in the fantasy sequences, but in the way the characters moved and showed expression through their poses, as well as the overall direction and camera angles), and the story had a nice, cute charm for awhile. But Juliet's character, while interesting, was underdeveloped for her purpose in the story. The climax didn't cover the issue of "reality vs. imagination" very well. Juliet afterwards briefly mentions how the imaginative world is better than the real one and is dismissed by Lisa...but didn't their imaginations just save them from the bullies? I would've liked to see more of Juliet using the world as an escape--it's a solid idea and they touched down on it, but the episode didn't feel cohesive enough by the time it wrapped up. And the two of them parting ways with Lisa just saying "coo-cooooo" was very unsatisfying.

The story started off quickly enough, but the pacing following that was largely uneven. The story didn't really progress in a "full" enough way, and more exploration of Juliet and the contrast between the real and the fantastic (and not just visually, but like if Lisa found Equalia to be a safe haven as well) would've gone a long way in making this a classic.

So would better writing, in fact. A lot of the one-liners just fell flat tonight, although there were a handful of great gags (Lisa escaping followed by "Bart, age 10" was excellent, and I also enjoyed CBG's karate class, the fake-out with the family and bullies, Kearney getting beaten up, and Marge listening by Lisa's door). The humor was pretty sparse overall, though. And geez, how many times do we need the "character sticks weird things in his ears to block out annoying sound" gag?

Despite my complaints, the episode is still a memorable, unique one, and fun to watch thanks to the high-quality direction. All things considered, I'd rather them take risks and fall short (like several of this season's shows) than settle for bland same-y stuff (S17, 18).

B- 3/5 on poll
    My Nintendo webcomic,

What the heck, I'll give it a 5/5 because it was the first new episode in 7 weeks.

First off, the couch gag: Very innovative, #429 for the 429th episode to air. (Though many get repeated.) Also, it was nice to see the full opening one last time before it gets revamped.

But WHY is the show divided into four acts now? Something really felt weird when it cut from the TV shot of the opening credits right to the start of the act (no fade to black either, just like in King of the Hill and Family Guy). The show felt longer, but I guess they just want more commercial time. (Ironically, the repeat of Double Double Boy in Trouble that aired after this episode still cut to commercial after the opening.) I don't get why they start the format this week (we were still in the holdovers) and not with the start of the new production line, like the switch to HD and the re-done opening.

Anyways, onto the episode: I found the only parts wrong where Homer gives Juilet's dad money to look at a piece of gum on his back. The "joke" would have been fine with "that's not the kind of doctor I am." For those who don't know, it's a reference to him just having a Ph.D and not being of any medical affiliation. The other thing I didn't like was the reference to Facebook that Skinner made. Come on, Lisa's only 8 years old!

Marge seemed in character too. "I'm Bart Simpson's mother, I know all the tricks." And it was nice to see Bart in black like he was back in "The Telltale Head." And how iPods are still called Mypods. And Fall Out Boy's version of the end credits was fantastic! Although I would have enjoyed a live-action scene like at the end of "Take My Wife, Sleaze." Still, the "ladies and gentleman, Fall Out Boy!" was not necessary over the Executive Producer credits.

Overall: A-

Homer Mad Homer Smash

Quote Originally Posted by Ramier Wolfcastle View Post
    The other thing I didn't like was the reference to Facebook that Skinner made. Come on, Lisa's only 8 years old!
    For those on Facebook . . .

Here's Lisa's Facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/p...7acc1665&ref=s

. . . and Skinner's:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/p...dac0d6fd&ref=s
    OfficerWriter

This episode was unfortunate fangirl bait. Very unfortunate.

Anyways, this was a rather mediocre episode. I'm a big fan of the four act structure, so it's gladly welcomed. With that out of the way, I enjoyed that the episode immediately started with the plot (I was expecting Lisa to meet Juliet at the end of act one), but that's the only thing I truly enjoyed. The jokes were hit and miss, but I really enjoyed Homer trying to fantasize at the end there. Bart and Lisa's discussion about candy was well-written as well. The animation was okay, not extraordinary.

It wasn't bad, it just wasn't great, or even that good. 3/5 is pretty appropriate here.

To another three weeks 'til new episodes! Now, that one will be interesting, even if the plot is very "eh"...

Not bad, not bad at all. Pretty good even.

I hear what alot of people here are saying about the episode not diving into the deeper themes of Juliet using her fantasy world to escape an unhappy life and parental relationship, or the consequences of living too much in a fantasy world, and while those would have been interesting story ideas I liked the story that they ended up using just fine. I loved the animation shifts from the real world to Equalia, especially the bike riding scene, and I didn't know where the plot was going to take me next, and it was entertaining to see where it went, even when the bullies got involved (geez, I never imagined myself calling the bullies entertaining again). I didn't like how quickly and easily Lisa and Juliet decided not seeing each other anymore and the plot could have moved a little faster at the beginning, but overall the animation was inventive and fun to look at, the story was interesting, and there were some very good laughs tonight (Nelson with his dolls, Bart at age 10, Kearney getting beat up, the fake-out with the family silhouette). In my opinion, this was one of the stronger episodes of the year so far. 4/5
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

It was okay, nothing really stood out. Harry Shearer had an easy week I think he had like 5 lines in the entire episode.

might do something not nice Jims's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xt'Tapalatakettle View Post
    I don't think it's just that, since the source material for this episode mentions the fact that some people suspected the two being lovers. For two 8 year olds to be seems to be stretching it a bit, but it's not like posters are clouded by the fact that they are looking for it.
    It's not really that I was looking for it, because I wasn't familiar with the movie source material. It was primarily the scene in which Juliet asks Lisa to "run away with [her]." Just like in those cheesy romantic movies. The way they staged the scene, it was just a weird moment between them.

Mind you, I'm using the word "weird," because Lisa's only interest thus far has clearly been in boys at school (Hugh, Nelson, Colin, etc). So it's kinda like a characterization thing. It would be like if suddenly Marge became a body-builder.

Oops, bad example.

Quote Originally Posted by thardin
    To the casual viewer, the episode was probably misleading. The lesbian jokes could get people to think, "Oh, ok, this is really gay. Lisa's a lesbian, look, she's dancing in circles around rainbows". First, I would like to make clear, they're only 8...they're expanding their imaginations by making up a magical land with unicorns...like alot of 8 year old girls.
    I don't remember where I said in my post that the fantasy sequences seemed gay. They just seemed like a brightly-colored acid trip to me... Thanks again to Josh Groban.

Lisa hasn't had many friends throughout the series, and having her first "real" friend in this episode was important to her character. She didn't seem to want to let go of her newfound best friend. Just like an 8 year old. It's not lesbian for them to circle around with their imagination swirling around them, it's not lesbian for two lonely 8 year olds who seem to need each other's company to run off together and have fun writing a story...they're only 8. You would need to put yourself in a 8 year old girl's shoes, particularly Lisa, who hasn't had much real friends...without them becoming a rival (Lisa's Rival), or them being much older (Summer of 4'2).
    You're right, there is a little inconsistency here. After all, I don't think her friendship with Alison Taylor or the "Summer of 4'2" girl came off as having such subtext at all. To take things further, Marge literally ran off with Ruth Powers in "Marge on the Lam" and there weren't any vibes there either. Of course, that episode didn't have a dramatic, "Will you run away with me?" moment. It's probably the romantic movie cliche that put it into my head.

It just became an odd moment in the episode. It's not the kind of moment we typically see in a Lisa episode.

No offense to you, Jims.
    None taken. I just wanted to clarify what I said earlier. I was also buzzing off the recent acid trip, so my main point probably got muddled.

Overall, it's an interesting discussion because of the source material. As X'tapalatakettle pointed out, in the original source material, the two characters did become lovers. The writers probably didn't want to imply the same feelings between Juliet and Lisa... But they had to stick to the structure of the parody. There's a definite balance there, so you don't imply something you don't necessarily mean. Do you change that scene, just in case, or would that be straying too far from the source material?

It's a fine line, I guess.
    Last edited by Jims; 01-25-2009 at 09:02 PM.

King of the Rock Bottom The Sovereign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

3.5/5, rounded up to 4

pretty good, nice to see Lisa act like a kid for once

episode DEFINITELY had a creepy vibe, though

Original storytelling becomes scarcer as time goes on in this series, which is why it's disappointing when an original plot does come along and doesn't live up to its potential. While Juliet had a great quirk and guest voice, I didn't feel satisfied with how lightly her insanity was touched upon, nor with how quickly she left the scene.

They could have done a bit more with animation and plot in the imaginary world, as most else in the episode felt fairly generic. My guess as to the Lisa/Juliet "relationship" was that it was some sort of reference (to what I did not know), but really, even Lenny & Carl have had much more blatant "love" parts written for them, and they aren't gay no matter what anybody says. There was a fair absence of jokes in the episode, but none really struck me as being totally awful. Music montage in the museum...bah humbug.

Since I feel obligated to list the things I actually LIKED in each episode, the highlights here included the couch gag (the last CBG "Worst _____ Ever" line I recall was back in Season 15), "Bart Simpson, Age 10" (best gag in episode), and even some of Homer's oblivious remarks in the few scenes he appeared. Kearney having a slightly significant role was also nice. As for Fall Out Boy and the people complaining about them, would you seriously have preferred that they showed up in the episode itself and filled time pointlessly like so many other guest bands?

Grade undecided as of now, but anywhere between a 'C' and a 'B-' seems like fair game. May rewatch.
    Bring on LABF now. The start of new production runs tend to have some good things.
    Season 21:
    Homer the Whopper: C, Bart Gets a Z: C+, The Great Wife Hope: B-, Treehouse of Horror XX: B, The Devil Wears Nada: C-, Pranks & Greens: C, Rednecks & Broomsticks: D+, O Brother, Where Bart Thou?: B, Thursdays With Abie: D, Once Upon a Time in Springfield: C+, Million Dollar Maybe: C-

WOW. This is easily my favourite modern era ep since The Seemingly Never Ending Story. A lot of good gags e.g. painting the laps, Homer drinking from Ned's cup, using big words and Homer calling computer. The pacing was also very well done, this may have to do with the new four act structure. The story didn't feel like it was a re-hash of any of the other "Lisa gets a friend" episodes. And I actually felt for Lisa and Juliet as they tried to "escape". A great way to finish off the standard defintion era and original opening era.

I'm giving it 4.5/5 only because I din't like the way how Lisa immediatly called Juliet "crazy", when the seemed to have such a good freindship.
    Last edited by wheres_the_any_key?; 01-25-2009 at 09:05 PM.

UR CLOTHES GIVE THEM TO ME Upgrayedd's Avatar

Overally, I enjoyed it, way to come back from that long holiday hiatus, Simpsons.

One of the main things I liked were the jokes from the episode, I found myself laughing several times. Some good laughs included CBG's kung fu class, Marge's listening in and her "Normal Child Behavior" book, Homer's "Ned" mug, Skinner's Facebook stalking, and Homer's "could've been [murderers] if we didn't have kids" line. Also, anyone else catch the communism jab (at least I think it is) where Lisa says "where everyone is equal, but we're in charge. I mean, somebody has to, right?" I liked that as well. "Bart, age 10" and the battle to the tune of Josh Groban was great as well. Hell, even the animation was great.

The story was alright, but it was really all that "Equalia" stuff that saved it. Stripped down, the story was simply "Lisa gets friend, society rejects them, they run away and eventually go back to the status quo". If it were not for all that imagination stuff, this episode could've been very different, but thankfully, the imagination stuff was a pretty powerful spice to a bland core plot, and the story was handled pretty good, I never got bored or anything or rolled my eyes as I watched the story advanced, so I thought the crew did an alright job with it. Only complaints I really had with the plot was how Juliet was handled, we didn't see the effects of insanity as much we did with Lisa and I thought her character was undeveloped, we coulda seen more about her background, I kinda wanted to see more of a motivation on her part to write about "Equalia".

Some things I didn't like were the first Josh Groban references (only good one was the battle), the weird feeling of the 4 acts. Yet another standard-issue musical montage (even worse when they replaced "Wipeout" with "folk art".)One thing that really bugged me was the resolution, it was WAAAAY too rushed, which reminded me or the era we're in right now. In 1 minute flat, we go from "WHOA THAT WAS AWESOME" to "i kinda wanna go back to reality" to "reality is for suckers" to "i disagree with you. goodbye forever." Also, Fall Out Boy, but that's pretty much a giveaway. Also, were those supposed to be Carl and Lenny's kids in the back of their car? That was a little weird...and I hope the writers don't go anywhere with these people.

This episode could've ended up very bad, so I was pleased to see the end result. Overall great episode.

(B+)
    Last edited by Upgrayedd; 01-25-2009 at 09:02 PM.

Uh......

I don't really know what to make of it, but it didn't suck. I like that the writers tried to craft a darker plot, but they didn't emphasize the darkness much, which I found disappointing. Juliet didn't even seem particularly dysfunctional to me...she's just a lonely little 8 year-old girl who would rather hide from her life than glean whatever rewarding qualities it may have to offer. At that age, such behavior is actually quite common. So yeah, even though her obsession with Equalia (and Lisa, for that matter) came across as pretty damn creepy, that side of it wasn't explored, so the story ended up being too bland for my liking. Thankfully, there weren't any subplots dragging it down, so the story, bland though it may have been, felt fleshed-out to me.

Biggest flaw of the episode? I didn't laugh much. Homer provided some good stuff at the beginning, but even he went downhill. Were Lenny and Carl's lines meant to be funny?

Just the same, I'll give the writers credit for trying. It's closer to a 6 than a 5, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    Season 20 is fast becoming the season with a lot of great ideas but less-than-great execution. Tonight's episode started off rather cute and charming, but I never felt that the fantasy element really completely took off the way it should've.

I did enjoy the atmosphere and excellent animation that permeated throughout the whole show (not just in the fantasy sequences, but in the way the characters moved and showed expression through their poses, as well as the overall direction and camera angles), and the story had a nice, cute charm for awhile. But Juliet's character, while interesting, was underdeveloped for her purpose in the story. The climax didn't cover the issue of "reality vs. imagination" very well. Juliet afterwards briefly mentions how the imaginative world is better than the real one and is dismissed by Lisa...but didn't their imaginations just save them from the bullies? I would've liked to see more of Juliet using the world as an escape--it's a solid idea and they touched down on it, but the episode didn't feel cohesive enough by the time it wrapped up. And the two of them parting ways with Lisa just saying "coo-cooooo" was very unsatisfying.

The story started off quickly enough, but the pacing following that was largely uneven. The story didn't really progress in a "full" enough way, and more exploration of Juliet and the contrast between the real and the fantastic (and not just visually, but like if Lisa found Equalia to be a safe haven as well) would've gone a long way in making this a classic.

So would better writing, in fact. A lot of the one-liners just fell flat tonight, although there were a handful of great gags (Lisa escaping followed by "Bart, age 10" was excellent, and I also enjoyed CBG's karate class, the fake-out with the family and bullies, Kearney getting beaten up, and Marge listening by Lisa's door). The humor was pretty sparse overall, though. And geez, how many times do we need the "character sticks weird things in his ears to block out annoying sound" gag?

Despite my complaints, the episode is still a memorable, unique one, and fun to watch thanks to the high-quality direction. All things considered, I'd rather them take risks and fall short (like several of this season's shows) than settle for bland same-y stuff (S17, 18).

B- 3/5 on poll
    Good review, spot on.
    Signature.

NHC's fly on the wall lionelhutz123's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That was just girl love, not lesbianism. Girls can be close like that and remain straight. Guy love is existent also. I mean look at JD and Turk on Scrubs.

Junior Camper

I think the one thing that hurt this episode was that the writers just don't understand plot. They're certainly funny, that's not the issue. I laughed heartily at various gags during this episode, but nowhere did I feel truly absorbed in it. Plot points just seemed kind of half-assed, with little logical lead-in or payoff. They're just there to move the episode along and nothing else. Also, I could say this for almost any modern-day Simpsons episode.

Anyway, I gave it a 3/5. I mean, it was alright. Nothing really pissed me off about it. And yes, I do have a healthy hate for Fallout Boy just like everyone else.

Another thing: Fall Out Boy? So incredibly pointless...

EDIT:

Guy love is existent also. I mean look at JD and Turk on Scrubs.

For those of you watching Global in Canada (which does indeed suck), why don't you just watch Fox? Fox is available here in Canada, and that's where I always watch The Simpsons. Global is supposed to be a Canadian station anyway but only broadcasts US shows. It's stupid.

But I'm guessing that for some of you Global may be "blocking out" the Fox channel's signal, which is what used to happen when I had cable. I have StarChoice satellite now and that no longer happens.

Anyway as for the episode: 3/5, for me some of Homer's funny bits saved it from being complete crap.

Junior Camper

They use Jimbo, Dolph, and Kearney way too much.

Junior Camper

I have to say I loved it

fall out boy - F
    rest of episode - B-

average grade on that basis - D+
    actual grade - B-/C+
    Season 25 Ratings
    Awful, probably

Junior Camper

ye the fall out boy ending sucked

fall out boy lame
    bad enough they had a nysc on there
    i cant tell which is worse, although the nysc episode was funny fall out boy just plain suck god i hope they go away soon

Heh, I knew a lot of people would be getting the lesbian vibes. It's natural considering what it's based on, but I wouldn't look too much into it. I think also like Jake said, some people sort of want to see it like that. I'm not coming down on anyone or saying it doesn't look like that at all, because I'd be delusional for doing that. But at the same time, it's such a volatile topic that I think in a lot of stuff on TV we tend to keep an eye out for it whether we mean to or not.

Anyways it obviously wasn't trying to be a gag-a-minute type of episode and for what it was I thought it was ok. It was carried by a narrative, which is something I think episodes have been trying to do more of lately...and I like that. I've never been a fan of when the show started to carry itself exclusively on gags alone a lot of the time, it really doesn't flatter it very much. It gets props from me for keeping to its focus...as somewhat creepy as it got but...I think that was the point. It also didn't succumb to using Homer-gags to fill up astronomical amounts of space and steal the show which is always a plus for me.

All and all I personally can't really think of really big flaws to name. The episode's real wrench in the gears in my opinion is just that it's a Lisa episode. They're never meant to be huge laughs, so some love them and some hate them for that. And while I think Lisa episodes have struck a better balance in the past generally they're simply just never designed to be too funny. And also on top of that it's based on a pretty creepy story. Like I said I think it's just meant to be a little creepy because well, Juliet is a pretty creepy kid. Lisa just wants a buddy so she goes along with it but even she comes to her senses. In other words, it was ok. 3/5

Man though, Bart is a fucking douchebag. lol And I liked the CBG scene myself, and Martin even got a little amusing quip in there for once. Also I'm not a big fan of falloutboy, and it was pretty groan inducing the way they were introduced but...it's just a credits sequence. No big deal.

This was a weird episode for me. A few amusing sight gags and one-liners but not that funny at all. I could see that they were going for something a bit different and although the background to the story was interesting, it came off really stale to me. Also the story and humour were far too fragmented and made me feel very weird. The characters are becoming too stale for me to handle. Season 1 is looks really good now compared to this. I'm being kind here...

2/5

Also Fall-Out Boy deserves credit for one of the best versions of the Simpson's Theme I've heard (better than Green Day).

I don't want to reiterate what has been written a few times in the previous reviews, so I'll stick to points which I found particularly notable that haven't been touched on yet:

1. I thought the writers did a very good job at characterizing Marge, which IMO is among the hardest to really do well. Her scenes with Lisa sneaking out as well as her sincere interest in trying to get into their world were both very well done, particularly the latter. Her interest in watching Lisa gain a close friend in the sleepover scene as well as her earnest attempts to share Lisa's world and subsequent hurt feelings after being coldly shut out show how ideal of a parent Marge really is, particularly for Lisa in the context of her family.
    2. Did anyone else get a weird "Family Guy"-ish vibe about the Willie flashback? That is the first thing that popped into my head when it happened, and it left sort of a weird taste in my mouth.
    3. Probably reading too much into this, but I really liked the Kearny scenes. He's fairly undeveloped as a character and although I'm sure this was a one-off, I thought it was really well-done and provided a good analogue to Lisa and Juliet's "outsider". Reminded me of the various episodes featuring Nelson's softening up - I'm always in favor of more multidimensional characters, even very minor ones.
    4. Count me on the side that feels this episode wasn't really that creepy, and was more indicative of how friendship works at that age. IMO, a lot of the perceived creepiness exists in the minds of adults who can't really comprehend the innocence of childhood. I do however think the writers pushed that angle to be somewhat ambiguous, but I think they had to really play up how close the friendship was (while also damning Lisa's overwhelming need to have a friend) to make the story work.

Some random observations:
    • Looked like Carl and Lenny were on a double date to me, except I couldn't figure out why they were both in the front. Very odd gag all around.
    • I'm not familiar with "Heavenly Creatures" so I was under the impression that it was a "Bridge To Terabithia" nod the entire time. Which, btw, is a great film and an even better book.
    • Loved the smaller jokes: the Ned mug, Martin and Belgium, Homer's knowledge of UN protocol. On the other side, Homer's behavior at Juliet's really failed for me. I know they probably felt like they had to mine that conflict comedically, I just don't think it was executed well.

I'll give it a 4/5. Not great, but it gets some points for having an inventive story and having some chutzpah to shake it up a little bit.
    Last edited by Kid Presentable; 01-26-2009 at 04:38 AM.

1/5 I thought the episode was complete crap. I thought it was going to be decent but the story was just to crazy and there wasnt that many good gags to make it fair.

From early 90s to today; from cute to hot! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak6M_RGiyn4

Blog Entries

haven't watched this episode yet... well I got to watch the part of the first act from when they sing on the playground till the end of the first act but that part wasn't really anything special (the singing btw, took way too long and did not like it. I liekd Blunt's voice-acting from what I've seen, nice accent). Things that I've noticed: Nameless gave this one B- in terms of how episode was, that gets my hopes up... I really don't mind Fall Out Boy... SilverEagle mentions that that darkness was seen but wasn't reallly emphasized well, which gets my hopes down... I have no idea on what to make out of this lesbian thing though; I mean, I kind of predict it's really just harmless thing (just one of these moments when friends really get close to each other due to the trouble I guess... and they are just 8 year olds, not old enough to experience these 'love thingies' with their hormone still young and... y'know) but well, my opinion might change (or not) after I view the entire thing.
    calmer than you are

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

From the description alone, this is how I felt toward what we'd hopefully get:
    Episode potential: A-

And this is what we got:
    The first "Lisa gets a friend" story where I could really see a friendship happening. Juliet wasn't a Lisa clone or a intellectual rival, she shared Lisa's creative and artistic side in her own unique way. Unfortunately, her craziness didn't go as far as I thought it should have in the final act (I'm talking "lizard queen" crazy), and they cut a good friendship short rather quickly. Which brings me to my final score:
    Plot execution: B-

Side notes: Homer, Bart and Marge were all excellent! I can't believe Bart's "Reejected!" line hasn't been mentioned! I loved that moment, very classic era Bart. Also, I liked the conclusion a lot with homer creating his fantasy world and then giving up on it. Also, great to see the Ninja suit and skateboard!
    UP AND ATOM!

Thread Information