66 36.46%
  • 3/5 - Utah Jazz

44 24.31%
  • 2/5 - Charlotte Bobcats

20 11.05%
  • 1/5 - Oklahoma City Thunder

21 11.60%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review "The Burns and the Bees" (KABF21)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Rate & Review "The Burns and the Bees" (KABF21)

December 7, 2008: KABF21 - The Burns and the Bees

During the annual billionaires’ retreat, Mr. Burns wins the Boston Celtics in a casual game of poker. While hosting the season opener in Springfield, Mr. Burns witnesses the antics of Dallas Mavericks’ owner Mark Cuban (guest voice as himself). Fascinated with his behavior, Mr. Burns decides to emulate Cuban’s over-the-top crowd pleasing stunts in order to win over the hearts of Springfield’s basketball fans. In the midst of his failing endeavor, Mr. Burns decides that the best way to win over the fans is to build a brand new, state-of-the-art sports arena. Unfortunately, the last remaining bee colony in Springfield is located on the proposed stadium site, and Lisa is single-handedly spearheading a movement to protect them. As Lisa fights for a safe haven for the bees, Homer attempts to help the quickly diminishing bee population by mating the Springfield bees with Africanized bees, creating a buzzworthy fiasco. Also guest stars Jeff Bezos and Marv Albert as themselves.

Note: the options of the poll may look very different to reality in terms of NBA power ranking perspective if you are looking at this thread for the first time few years later
    calmer than you are

Focused and pretty funny. Good episode overall! 4/5 More thoughts later, of course.
    Signature.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

So this is a Christmas episode then? Or did they just use the Christmas sequence because it's the only new ep in December?

First act
    Some nice stuff with the billionaires retreat, and thegame of Quidditch.
    Oh joy, the bullies. Kearney reading the thing was extremely stupid and went on too long.
    Is it just me or does Kearney sound a little Ralph-esque?
    Jeff Bezos' cameo seemed a little unnecessary.
    Wow, they managed to have Smithers without making some lame gay joke about him (so far, odds are it won't last long)
    What was the opening of Homer's dream a parody of?
    WALL-E parody! Very nice.
    Lisa with a bee beard?... Okay.

Pretty good opening act. Some nice jokes with the billionaires retreat and there was a good plot set up. Homer's dream was nice (but they seem to be relying on dreams being character motivation quite a bit this season) as was the WALL-E thing. The bullies were in it too long, but I'm hopeful that this could be a good one, 4/5. Best first act of the season.

I know I say this every week, but that secret millionaire show looks incredibly stupid

Second act
    Mark Cuban had some nice moments, but does kind of fall under the "pointless guest star" category
    Lisa's plot has been pretty good, not a lot of funny moments though
    I was hoping they would have Burns trying to please the crowd be motivated entirely by money, rather than this wanting to be popular crap like in "Monty Can't Buy Me Love"
    Smithers' whispering also went on too long, a lot of jokes going on too long in this episode.
    Burns shooting the Gorilla was okay

Not a lot to this act. Mostly moving the plot along. Burns' story took a drop in quality, his antics were predictable and uninspired. 2.5/5.

Third act
    Nice speech from Lisa, Yeardley Smith has done a good job in this one.
    "I've never seen you walk up an incline before" Not even going to comment on that one.
    Lisa's bees invading the stadium was not much to it, but the jumbotron stuff was funny.
    Marv Albert's cameo also falls under the category of "pointless guest star"
    Hmm, not much of a resolution at all to the bee plot.

Over all, a good episode, best of the season so far. Excellent first act, uninspired second act and a decent third act. I felt both plots were pretty grounded and were pulled off okay, and Burns was characterized pretty well... At least he wasn't as bad as he was in Monty Can't Buy Me Love. 4/5.

The Good
    Opening scenes at the billionaire retreat
    Homer's dream
    Burns betting Smithers
    "Stop Milhouse-ing your sister!"
    Bee bloopers

The Bad
    Kearney reading his minutes
    Jeff Bezos
    The secret Billionaires handshake

It looks like Stephanie Gillis is now a full-time writer.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good: Secret Billionares Handshake, "Stop Milhousing your Sister!" The Gorilla getting shot.

Bad: Mr. Burns is a cartoon clown, again. The whole Bee Beard thing was too screwy. Lisa's whole bee-plot seemed to be filler until Burns's plot came into fruition.

Overall, this felt like a haphazard mix of ideas that could've been better in their own seperate plots, but that's S20 for ya.

GRADE: C

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Yeah, I'd say a 3.5/5. Though instead of usually rounding up, I went down to a three simply because I like the Jazz better than the Rockets.

I was very confused by the fact that there was a Christmas opening sequence.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Dude, such bull on threadlocking. I was able to see this at its normal time… due to… Global Saskatchewan. Whatever.

I liked it! Like, I really did enjoy myself. It was actually really, really funny… I mean, I did say that about last week’s, too, but this one was probably funnier I think. Lots of good gags spread well throughout the entire episode. I’m not really in the habit of recalling and listing off a bunch, but they were certainly there. I mean, I was amused throughout most of the episode… It’s good. You know, it’s nice to see the episodes getting funnier. I’d have to go back and rewatch some from S17/18/19/20 to see if I find it’s actually getting funnier (S17 is where I feel the series started its current abysmal decline), but I dunno, it just seems like that to me right now. This episode had a very… free and loose feel to it.

It was great how they just leaped right into it. I mean, there weren’t any completely unnecessary scenes or anything. Everything was related to the main two plots, which also connected nicely. And there was this great feel of energy at the beginning… I did feel that it slowed down by the third act, but in the first act, it just went to scene to scene to scene. It was quick and snappy and that really added to the feel of the entire episode. The great energy just fit in so well with the snappier joke style, the quantity of them all, and… you know, it was… it was great. The atmosphere. It was so well-done and what I’d really love to see more of from the show. If the episode had been able to maintain it throughout the whole thing, without it kind of tapering off in the third act (which was a little out of left field, but I can’t really think of any other way to have resolved this. It fit well enough, it didn’t detract too much and only felt a little off), this probably would have been a 5/5 for me.

I felt that Burns and Lisa were both well-utilized. The scenes at the Billionaire Camp were fun. And Burns, well… There wasn’t much focus on his age, and that’s really, really appreciated. He was… He didn’t seem entirely like Burns of old, but shit, this was a step in the right direction. He was still just as greedy, still fairly menacing, and out-of-touch but not in a terrible way… His motives were a little questionable, but I can chalk that up to greed, as well, since it was Mark Cuban (who at least wasn’t entirely useless… and his appearance in Burns’ thought bubble was great) with something Burns didn’t have, and Burns wanted it… A little similar to Monty Can’t Buy Me Love in those respects, but I dunno. It wasn’t that terrible initially in MCBML and it wasn’t here (and because this one didn’t resort to quite the same degree of wackiness, the episode wasn’t dragged down). And his attempts at winning the crowd over were hilarious… This episode really was right-on with the jokes.

And Lisa was well-used, and so was Homer in his support of her (and it was sweet of how he really did want to help her again, and the degree of which he cared to make his little girl smile… This has happened a lot in the show but Homer always seems to be the best at fatherhood when it comes to Lisa, and at least that element from the show hasn’t gone). The stuff in the first act with Frink was great, and the absurdity of Lisa’s bee beard was hilarious, but not overly so. I mean, if you’re going to do a story really centering around bees… It was absurd, but it wasn’t too absurd. And it was funny. That’s the big thing for me here. That energy to the episode initially, how well-plotted it was for such a silly plot…

I’m going in circles here. Whatever. For what it was, and I can’t think of anything, really, that could have been made much better, it was pretty great. It didn’t have that little extra… whatever, a little extra bump, for me, and the third act did start to slow down from the great atmosphere the first two acts had, but it was hilarious. And there were some great sequences... I liked the visual style of Homer's post-bee world (they did a good job with the designs, even if it was a WALL-E thing), and the suddenness of the wrecking ball crashing through the greenhouse was great. A very high 4/5 from me.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

I actually liked it quite a bit. It wasn't really a classic style evil Burns episode, but there seems to be a new theme for Burns in him wanting to be accepted and liked by the general public. Overall it was pretty funny and much better than last weeks in my opinion, and the two stories actually connected in a meaningful way for once!

4/5
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

Junior Camper

Possibly my least favorite Simpsons episode... maybe ever, the bee stealing Wiggum's gun was stupid, and Wiggum's voice sounded off. The bullies weren't funny at all, not that they ever really are anymore. The Wall-E joke was good and burns shooting the Gorilla was funny, that's about it. Lisa's bee beard was so stupid. I'm pretty disappointed for once this season

2/5

Presumed dead or on vacation Robbie's Avatar

When was the last time we saw Frink? It seems like it's been ages since his last appearance, and I was happy just to hear him speak.

Anyway, this was a pretty good episode, made me laugh multiple times. 4/5

Blog Entries

Wow. This is the best/funniest episode of the season BY FAR. It was written beautifully and wacky, yet the execution of the wackiness made it work. Billionaires handshake was hilarious along with many other gags. This is probably the most gag-filled episode of the season, and when I say this, I mean 90% gags that hit. The other 10% wasn't bad or even average. It was just fun to watch, but it didn't make me laugh, but still that is saying alot. I also liked how well the bee plot was developed. When I first heard about this episode, I thought, "Why should I care about bees?", but the way the episode was written (as corny as it sounds), I felt like I was right there along with Lisa wanting to save these insects. In other words this episode made me feel for the characters rather than forcing the feelings on me. The guest stars were actually funny too which was good. I liked the callback to Burn's plane from "He Loves To Fly And He Doh's". Also the animation in general was amazingly creative, from the animation of the african swarm of bees to simply having Lisa's hair flow in back of her as she ran to the living room. There was so much positive aspects going on in this episode, such as Homer being in good character. He wasn't a jackass, and his dialogue had a classic feel to it. He wasn't stupid like he has been most of the time in the modern era. His "dumbness" was actually the same as the Homer we know from season 2. I don't know how to explain this. It just had a subtle feel to how he used to not understand things, yet he still had smart lines. I need to rewatch this episode again so I can go into how great everything else was. There were so many gags that were genius.

5/5, I haven't laughed and enjoyed myself as much as I did since "Eternal Moonshine Of The Simpson Mind"
    Last edited by lionelhutz123; 12-07-2008 at 06:34 PM.

Get eurass back to Eurasia

Went down the shitter after the first act. 1/5

I am with the thinking I enjoyed this episode Too Much! I did nothing to deserve such a fun episode,.. yet here we are!? 5/5
    Non stop fun, multiple instances of laughter, This episode was Gold! I was all prepared to be somber in respect to the plight of the Bees, but this full blown Burns outing was just what the Bee doctor ordered. I honestly cant think of a second I didn't enjoy.

I'd like to do the secret billionaires handshake ($) with anyone else that gave this ep a 5!

Decent story, few okay jokes, but not much else.

Enjoy the six week hiatus, folks.

3.0/5

Homer Mad Homer Smash

My rating: 4/5

I liked this episode a lot -- it was well written, funny and the plots connected well, without much digression.

The opening sequence being done on an Xmas theme in winter was nice. And the lead-in couch gag also on the same Xmas theme worked well.

I laughed a lot all throughout this episode.

In the first act, I loved when Willie played his bagpipes for the dead bees, and the camera pan across his bee grave yard. The names on the tombstones were hilarious -- Buzz Aldren . . .

Though the Bullies reading back a transcript of what was said went on too long, and I don't believe we even saw Kearny writing things down in the first place (continuity error?)

It's great when they bring in Prof. Frink, especially when Homer makes a silly comment, and he says "I'm talking to the girl from now on."

The Lisa beard bit was cute at first, but was carried on too long. Homer eating the bees during dinner was funny and in character.

Homer's dream sequence was weak, and didn't make a lot of sense. I think they were trying for a War of the Worlds/Wall-E thing, but it fell flat.

I liked the card game, when Burns made Smithers climb ontop the table and crouch with the rest of the bets.

The skinny dipping in the Billionare's retreat was funny, as was the rest of that bit, though I would have thought to keep Burns in character, he'd jump into the lake, and then wither away, as Smither's jumps in to save him.

Burns trying to outdo the other basketball team owner was cute, but went on too long. When Burns shot the man in the gorilla suit, I laughed. "You mean that wasn't a real gorilla?"

The town hall meeting meeting was funny, and was perfectly in character for all -- Lisa knew Burns was up to something, when he said he wasn't going to build his mega-stadium, and in typical Burns fashion, he was.

When Moe and Homer were letting the bees "get beezy" at first it was funny, but then it was overkill. When Homer released the killer bees, that was hilarious, as were the Bee Out takes on the jumbotron.

When they tossed Burns out of the Billionare's Retreat was also a good laugh -- and nicely ended the episode.

This was a great episode, with a lot of good jokes, and the plots tied together well -- which is something they don't do often. Maybe if we're lucky, they will do this more throughout the season?
    OfficerWriter

probably the best and most consistent episode of the season. not laugh out loud funny the whole way through, but the plot was at least somewhat coherent, and the characterization was solid. very enjoyable overall.

Junior Camper

I loved this episode. This was very relieving after MyPods and Broomsticks. Also, it being so close to another episode I loved, Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words, brings my hopes up for the season again. I'll probably just be dissapointed again, but I'll take what I can get. I'd like to write out a full review, but not at the moment. I'll just say that I gave this 4/5. Why not a whole 5? I think the writers could still do better. I don't want to say that there's no room for improvement. But believe me, I really did enjoy this one. The billionaire retreat, Lisa and her bees ... This episode was very strong in the wacky department, which is something the show can still rely on. I just don't know if that's enough.

Blog Entries

I do not think it was... failure or anything but I gotta say that the bads outmatched the goods in this episode here. No, it is not as bad as "Husbands and Knives", but it still did not really amuse me at all. I dunno, maybe I would've liked it in the other day... I just kind of several Frasier episodes (which I really liked, a lot) and it kind of seems that I kind of had my... standards high or something I guess.

Anyways, I'll just go into the pros first. The storyline was flowing nicely and although the pacing felt bit off in the end (ending kind of felt..ehh abruptly, I was expecting more revenge from Burns but eh) but the epsiode had some real nice storytelling of those two plots that converged in the end of 2nd act. Humor was the another nice spot here (and also the bad spot, to be describe in next paragraph) and some particular moments were clever (Wall-E parody, billionaire camp had some satire in it, Jumbotron, the ending, etc.) but I did not really laugh hard or anything. I can't say much about characteristics department (well, I actually liked Homer here - maybe the best Homer character of this season, and Moe was pretty decent too), but I gotta say that Homer's plan in this episode and how it pleased Lisa in the result (the demolition of the dome, not the breeding of the africanized bees) was at least less contrived than that of "Homer And Lisa Exchange Crosswords." And... I quite liked the animation here. Some colorful stuffs inside the dome, etc..

Bad part, it's just my preference, but I am tired of seeing several moments and jokes taking long or really long. What was that handshake thing? I mean, I think the one in "Homer the Great" was great because it started off somewhat subtly and did not really... get out of place or anything like that 'Jericho' dance it was tonight and the one that I've just seen... really took long. Kearney reading the 'script' out loud... well, I just felt how Jimbo felt, looking up at the sky, thinking just what the hell is wrong. Smithers whispering, well, I get the joke clearly, but again, it just went too long and... I did not like it. I mean, I can see that Burns is old but him not remembering up to like, WWI... just not it. Other than that, I do not appreciate Burns being 'cartoon clown' as Jake mentioned. I mean, it is possible for an egoistic man to be in that way, but it is just not how I really envision him to be. Well, maybe this episode is like, the 'sequel' to "Fraudcast News" (which actually had a good beginning to Burns' ego to be loved imo), but again, it is just my preference, but it is far away from Burns that was domineering with dignity in the earlier episodes imo. Lisa did not really feel as annoying as let's say, "Jazzy and Pussycat" (btw, I was watching it in the other day and I just could not finish it beyond the about half of second act...) but some traits of her activist character... was still there, but it wasn't that bad.

Overall, I feel that it's far from being the best of the season. It's in the place where the crossword puzzle episode lodges, I reckon. D+/C-, I'm not sure if I should go with 2/5 or 1/5. I can see some accepting Burns as more happy-go-lucky character who wants love, but I just... happen to prefer the other way. I guess the writers are like, trying to take the other path for the new era for Burns character... or something
    Last edited by sung; 12-07-2008 at 06:58 PM.

1/5. This was an awful episode. It was probably the first Simpsons episode that I've ever watched that I never as much as chuckled.
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
    Other than that, I do not appreciate Burns being 'cartoon clown' as Jake mentioned. I mean, it is possible for an egoistic man to be in that way, but it is just not how I really envision him to be.
    I dunno...to me Burns is becoming this generation's Scrooge McDuck. I can't wait for him to get an episode where he uses his wealth to build a time machine to go back in time to steal dinosaurs and sell them on Craig's list, or wonder why he can't find Mousillini's (sp) Myspace page.

5/5 it was one of the best episodes so far this season!

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I dunno...to me Burns is becoming this generation's Scrooge McDuck. I can't wait for him to get an episode where he uses his wealth to build a time machine to go back in time to steal dinosaurs and sell them on Craig's list, or wonder why he can't find Mousillini's (sp) Myspace page.
    Just as long as he doesn't get three nephews, I'm fine with that.

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

Pros: Two plots that came together nicely. Homer's honey-less future joke (really, the funniest thing by far in this episode), Smithers being part of the bet, callback to the Billionaire's club at the end of the episode (also, the plot being resolved at the end with the arena becoming the bee sanctuary I liked).

Cons: Extended jokes have returned! (way too many to count), too much self-explanation of character actions, Lisa's bee beard, Mr. Burns' antics.

Mixed: Mark Cuban. He was too "look at me" in this episode, but I guess that's how he is in real life. They sort of explained it too much in the episode. Though I didn't mind him driving off a cliff.

All in all, it failed to meet the expectations of previous Lisa/Mr. Burns episodes. This episode sort of fell into the same extended AND over-explanation of jokes that were rampant in seasons 17-18. I thought the show was getting past this now. Nevertheless, at least the plot hung together, though plot isn't everything.

C+ or 3/5

Blog Entries

Gee, I wonder if a former Simpsons writer had something to do with the WALL-E parody being so recent? ...
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

King of the Rock Bottom The Sovereign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

4/5 the last act was good, from the statue of Burns in the MJ pose in front of the stadium to the clippers joke and the hockey joke, plus the Uncle Tom thing with Bumblebee Man

I thought it was pretty good myself. It had the luxury of not dealing with a main subject this week that could possibly make it look outdated I admit, so I wouldn't call it an upturn. But it was very coherant and (I thought) subtly amusing more than a couple of times. It didn't try too hard with drawn out physical comedy I thought and it got to the point very quickly so it didn't feel like the episode was just getting started 20 minutes into it, which is a big plus. I don't know if anything really stood out too much but at least by the end everything wrapped up really cleanly, even Burns and the Springfieldites getting comuppance.

Oh and Burns was sort of an antagonist which hasn't happened in a while. And Homer was kept in control so I don't have a lot to personally complain about. It wasn't the funniest ever but I thought it had some pretty decent moments. I thought how Burns convinced the town near the end by not only using a flashy celebrity, but also playing nice guy to Lisa's speech was very nicely Burns. Also showed how strong a tool that kind of tactic is.
    Last edited by Kiyosuki; 12-07-2008 at 08:57 PM.

Someone please fire Stephanie Gillis. I never found See Homer Run and Midnight Towboy to be exciting. Seriously, I couldn't get myself to laugh one bit in this episode.

Act 1 seemed like just a jumble of ideas pasted together by the writers. Jump to Mr. Burns skinny dipping to the billionaires playing Quidditch, then jump to the school where Lisa learns about the missing bees. Then jump to the Burns story. Then jump to the bee story.

This felt like the 2nd coming of Monty Can't Buy Me Love, but thankfully no Loch Ness Monster wackiness. At least Mr. Burns got what was coming to him: his building gets destroyed and he loses his billionaire status, causing him to get "evicted" from the group of billionaires.

Anyways, stuff you may have noticed:
    -Stephanie Gillis has written 3 episodes, all #ABF21's?
    -The first 2 melodic lines of "O Christmas Tree" were used before the "The Simp-sons" chant at the start of the opening. And in the couch gag was the O Christmas Tree music, right where it left off. When the opening was used for Kill Gil, Jingle Bells was used instead.
    -Why was the Christmas opening used? Once again, no Maggie or Marge ... I'm guessing because those scenes in the regular opening were very crude, plus time constraints.
    -Mr. Burns' private jet from "He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs"
    -Mr. Burns mentions Mark Zuckerburg, the owner of Facebook? (I'm a college student, and therefore have an account.)
    -Kearney mentions his son?
    -This is the 2nd time Mr. Burns is in charge of a new "arena" that's newly built. (The first occurrence was in the 7 Beer Snitch)
    -A bunch of new names in the closing credits, which were left in full? I'm guessing that the season 20 staff as well as the season 19 staff worked on this episode.

I'm going to guess the writer's strike hit this episode pretty hard. Most #ABF21's and 22's are table read around November nowadays, so the rewrites for this episode would have been delayed. I also found an article saying that the 19th production cycle would end with 22 instead of 23 episodes. It may have intended to say that the cycle would end with 21 instead of 22 episodes, as the staff would seriously not squeeze 23 episodes in a cycle when they are aware that several of them get held over. If that were to be the case, then this episode would have been the one KABF with its production delayed/halted.

Because the two stories came together and Lisa saving bees was along the lines of her character, this episode gets a 3/5, or a C-. I'm guessing this is the last KABF (after a great start, a lousy finish), since we're looking at a 6 week hiatus (The Futon Critic lists January 4th and 11th as pre-empted, and Fox is planning to air 24 on the 11th at 8 PM)

UR CLOTHES GIVE THEM TO ME Upgrayedd's Avatar

Well, come 8PM tonight, I had a choice. Watch Lakers basketball, or watch a basketball-related Simpsons episode. Eventually, I decided on watching The Simpsons.

Being a regular basketball viewer, I wanted this episode to be great, but knowing the show's current state, I wasn't expecting anything really great, and that's what it ended up being, pretty average. Here were the cons. Personally, I didn't really like the bee subplot that much. I know the show's been on for 20 years and nearly every story idea under the sun has been done and redone, but bees? I think there are much better ways to pull off the environment/development clash aspect - and with what was given, the bees, they didn't pull it off that great either. The long, drawn-out jokes seemed to have a hiatus recently that ended tonight. I was laughing when Mr. Burns sang the Austria-Hungary anthem, only to be reminded by Smithers about the archduke dead, but I ended up cringing as the joke drew on and on and on and on and on. Also, the jokes about Burn's age and serious nature are good...in moderation. Like said, I was laughing at the anthem joke but was cringing when they'd bring out the ragtime dancers and him shooting the mascot. Also, I didn't like one out of two of the guest stars: Marv Albert. At least Mark Cuban had something to do with the plot, but Marv Albert's appearance was useless and was your typical shoe-in guest star, and he didn't even say his signature "YES!" (well, he said yes, but it more "yes" than "YES!!") Come on, even Futurama's Marv Albert said "YES!!" and it was even voiced by a Marv Albert sound-alike.

However, this episode did have its share of pros. I did like the billionaire club jokes (I especially laughed at the wheelchair billionaire (name?) skinnydipping, Quidditch, and throwing Burns into the millionaire club.) I laughed at the "free childcare" gag, the Clippers jab, and Muk Mu's antics as well. I also liked how they handled Burns, at how this time, he wants to please the people rather than terrorize them, but eventually ends up reverting to good old Burns by tearing down the greenhouse for his new arena, and I thought that with maybe a few more tweaks with this, this episode could've been that much better. Lisa was handled alright as well, she became activist-y, but didn't overdo it. Also, Mark Cuban was an alright guest star, actually having something to do with the plot. It was nice to see that he could poke fun at himself, even though I thought his voice acting was horrible (I know he's not an actor, but it was that bad) and sometimes the hyperbole was drawn out.

Overall a tolerable episode. Not the best, but definitely not the worst.

(C+) 6.5/10

This was actually a very respectable episode, with perhaps its greatest shortcoming being that at times it felt like a somewhat weaker version of "The Old Man and the Lisa". It was pretty humorous throughout, with the two plots flowing together nicely, and it was mainly bogged down by certain scenes that were - simply put - awkward.

Basketball is really the only professional sport I follow to any degree, so appreciated much of this, though obviously the bee plot took center stage. The best gags were the WALL-E parody, the jab at the Clippers (that one character sucked until that line), Homer's insults about bees and flowers, the bee gags on the jumbo-tron, and:
    "Was that a real bullet?"
    "Yes, was that a real gorilla?"
    On paper that seems like more of a Family Guy gag, especially with the shooting, but it got a kick out of me given Burns' overall nature.

I'm gonna be honest about Mark Cuban's guest appearance - it was probably the best one all season, and maybe the in overall recent memory. He was a bit outrageous, but highly entertaining instead of feeling pointless for a brief gag like most guests. But Marv Albert? Can't say the same about him.

The awkwardness came with such moments as obviously Lisa's bee beard and Homer pondering mating with the bees, though I also noticed quite a bit of violence in this episode, with the gorrila suit man and Wiggum both being shot. I was also put off by the number of run-on jokes, such as Kearney reading the memo, Smithers whisphering, and the "secret billionaire handshake".

One more thing - I had no real qualms with Burns' characterization in this. He certainly wasn't any more childish than he was in "The Old Man and the Lisa", and at times even had sparks of cold-heartedness. Maybe some more "evil" moments would have made the ending more rewarding, though the ending was actually pretty funny, anyways. And Smithers - though limited in screentime - was used well, and without forced gay jokes this time!

I suppose I'll make the above an argument for this being the best of the season so far, though a lack of run-on gags and maybe a bit more of that evil Burns could have made it better still. Though I'm actually wanting to rewatch this already. Awarding this a solid B
    Season 21:
    Homer the Whopper: C, Bart Gets a Z: C+, The Great Wife Hope: B-, Treehouse of Horror XX: B, The Devil Wears Nada: C-, Pranks & Greens: C, Rednecks & Broomsticks: D+, O Brother, Where Bart Thou?: B, Thursdays With Abie: D, Once Upon a Time in Springfield: C+, Million Dollar Maybe: C-

Junior Camper

that was better than i thought it would be, especially for the mr. burns storyline. thankfully they didn't copy the entire plot from "monty can't buy me love", but it could have been more original.

homer, while not used a lot, had funny moments. (and so did lisa and bart)

i'd give it a 3.5/5. better than the last one IMO.

Thread Information