• 2/5

0 0%
  • 1/5

0 0%

Thread: Rate and Review: American Dad "Escape From Pearl Bailey"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

It's Just A Flesh Wound ppoi307's Avatar

Rate and Review: American Dad "Escape From Pearl Bailey"

How much do you think it cost them to get "Love Will Tear Us Apart"?

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

This is a bit of a cross-post from the other thread, but a review is a review:

Well, like I said, I ended up watching the latest episode.

And you know what, it was actually pretty good!

The story was stronger than the usual American Dad (and even Jean Simpsons) fare in that it had a clear narrative and a focused overall theme, and the boys' quest to escape in the third act was handled cleverly. It still had its usual mixed-bag humor (all the making out stuff in the beginning, the sign gag "ERECTION DAY. SOMEONE STOLE OUR L'S" which didn't even make sense, most of the Asian kid's lines), but it was interspersed with some creative scenarios and fun gags as well (like all the revenge plots as well as Steve's sudden getaways in each case).

It's probably the best episode of the show I've seen, despite it still having some of the aspects of the show that really bother me. But even Steve wasn't completely obnoxious this time around, and I enjoyed the creativity in how they handled it.

Is it just me, though, or is Steve's fat friend a total rehash of Chris Griffin?

I still think this show could use its characters and (especially) humor more effectively, and it'd be nice if the storylines were as well-handled as this one, but the latest episode does show signs of a show with some life in it, as opposed to how awful Family Guy has become.

I'd say it's a B-/B and for the first time ever, I'm voting a 4 for an American Dad episode.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Yeah Barry is basically Chris Mk-II, although Chris is just a big, crazy but mostly harmless doofus. Barry's actually genuinly insane. Split personality or something. One is the one you always see, then there's this really cunning, devious, psychopathic one.

I liked this one a lot too, but the Steve centric episode are always some of the best imo. Steve is just a very entertaining character, and probably the most consistently likable character in the show.

I dunno about Steve being consistently likable but it was definitely a good ep and he does get some of the better ones. That horrible dance those goth kids did at the end made me chortle.

Consistently likable doesn't necessarilly mean always likable.

But in a series with a main character like Stan, who's possibly (and probablyprobably intentionally) one of the most annoying characters in the history of anything, that says a lot with me.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Odd, Kiyo--my thoughts are switched on Steve and Stan. I find Steve really obnoxious most of the time (nearly everything that motivates him is trying to score with someone, and this is pretty much his goal in almost every show around him), although I thought he was decent in this episode. Stan is an idiot but he has his moments.

I feel the same way as Triforce.

I don't know if it's odd, I guess things about the character just rubs people differently.

I just find everything about Stan aggrevating, but...in a sometimes entertaining way if that makes any sense. It's obviously supposed to be the point of the character 90% of the time.

I liked the episode, and it's currently my favourite of the season so far, but I wasn't a fan of the overuse of Steve. It was nice to see more Debbie, but at the same time there was little to no interaction with the 'regular' cast (come on, one line each from only Stan and Francine?).

I'm another that finds Steve annoying, by the way.
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    the Jonas Brothers make my gay, pedophile dick so hard.

once again, the best fox show of the evening. Loved the Scottcentric episode, even though he carried is own weight, i was kinda hoping for a nice side story. anyway it was pretty funny and i really enjoyed the slight Kill Bill parody in there. 4/5

They put a lot of depth into Steve in this one. Instead of trying to touch a boob from one of the pretty popular girls, he willingly ruined their good looks to avenge his girlfriend.

I also liked the bit where Steve and his friends had to avoid the stoned kids.

5/5

Thread Information