View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 The fish jumped right in the boat, and all you gotta do is whack her with the oar!

18 11.39%
  • 4/5 He's the greatest showman since that kid who eats worms.

51 32.28%
  • 3/5 We're going to start doing it in the morning?!

50 31.65%
  • 2/5 Go for the dented job, the dead-end job, the less attractive girl!

26 16.46%
  • 1/5 This is worse than your song about Mr. T.

13 8.23%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review "Dangerous Curves" (KABF18)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Rate & Review "Dangerous Curves" (KABF18)

November 9, 2008: KABF18 - Dangerous Curves
    When the Simpson family takes a road trip to a cabin in the woods, a series of flashbacks depict Homer and Marge’s blissful courtship and their early married years. They recall their first encounter with Flanders and Maude twenty years prior at the very same cabins, where Flanders insisted the unmarried Homer and Marge stay in separates rooms. Later, they recall when they each met distracting members of the opposite sex who nearly wooed Homer and Marge away from each other. Bart and Lisa also reflect on happier times from their early childhood. Despite the obstacles and the passing of time, Homer and Marge attempt to see the forest for the trees.
    Last edited by sung; 11-09-2008 at 03:13 PM.
    calmer than you are

There's a New Mexico? UncieHerb's Avatar

Flashbacks, already a bad sign.

My Season 21 Ratings (Out of 5 Stars):

Homer The Wopper - ***
    Bart Gets a Z - ***
    TOH XX - ****

Isn't it a bit too early to start up the Rate/Review thread? (I thought they're usually started at 8:30 Eastern time)

Anyways, here's a promo image:

Quote Originally Posted by Ramier Wolfcastle View Post

Promo? Isn't that a scene from That 90's Show?

NHC's fly on the wall lionelhutz123's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, remove that picture. It isn't the promo. Simpsonschannel made it pretty clear that this episode has no promo picture as of yet. They just took that from "That 90's Show" just for the sake that it's another flashblack episode.

Quote Originally Posted by UncieHerb View Post
    Flashbacks, already a bad sign.
    Since when have flashbacks been considered a bad sign? I Married Marge? Lisa's First Word? And Maggie Makes Three? The Way We Weren't?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramier Wolfcastle View Post
    Isn't it a bit too early to start up the Rate/Review thread? (I thought they're usually started at 8:30 Eastern time)

Although soon revealed fake, that gave me a quick panic attack. Absolutely nothing from "That 90's Show" is allowed to come up in this episode, or it's an automatic 2/5...

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Not bad couch gag

First act
    Homer's voice sounded extremely weird.
    That Bart's ear thing was very gross.
    Marge wanting to pick up hitch hikers? Okay...
    I don't really like Homer and Marge's young designs, they're just... Not Simpsony.
    They seem to have forgotten that Homer and Flanders first met in Lisa's First Word.
    The entire scene with Flanders could have been better.
    Nice mislead with Grampa not enjoying the kids.
    Homer's voice sounds really over the top (and not in a good way) when he argues these days.
    Oh boy, marital problems.
    Didn't Homer go bald not long after Lisa was born?

Not much in the first act so far, seems like just a bunch of random flashbacks without much plot connection. Really nothing overly memorable or funny in this act. 1.5/5

Second act
    Lisa's voice also sounds extremely off.
    I liked the insult drawer bit.
    I think the post-Bart & Lisa flashbacks would work better had they been set before Marge and Homer were married.
    So they establish in the classic era that Homer would never willingly cheat on Marge, but in this episode they have Homer about to willingly cheat on Marge.
    Wow, that bit where Homer and Marge discovered about eachother's past cheating attempts was very forced.

Very disappointed in this episode so far. I thought it might have some potential, but it's just been marriage trouble flashbacks with little originality. There were some good jokes like Patty and Selma's bits and Homer putting the cinder block on the chest, but otherwise another weak act. 2/5.

Third act
    Oh boy, the bullies, at least their appearances were brief.
    Bart and Lisa acting like a married couple, okay I guess, but it could have been better. I'm guessing they had a flashback there that was cut.
    Maude and Flanders spying was pretty funny, "we have weiner lock" made me laugh.
    Sigh, a life-threatening crisis solving their problems, how original

Not much of an episode. It just seemed like a couple of random flashbvacks tied together by a very weak marriage crisis plot and they should have given the Flanders/Maude/Homer/Marge flashback a proper resolution. Some okay jokes, but nothing particularily notable. 2/5.

Better than That 90's Show, but only because it didn't have any terrible '90s jokes. Plot-wise it wasn't much stronger.

Pointless episode. Just kept going on and on. Mercifully, it finally ended.

4/5, I really don't like Marriage Crisis episodes, but I liked seeing Young Flanders and Maude, plus it was really funny, over all a pretty good episode, other then the fact that it was a tad confusing with 3 story lines all going on at the same time and well that fact that Marriage Crisis are kinda dumb episodes because there so predictable and there just well annoying. But despite the fact that it was a Marriage Crisis, it was still a really good episode, funny, and Squeaky Voiced Teen made a nice appearance. Oh and when Homer pulled the gum out of Bart's ears, that was really gross, that and well the fact that it was a predictable Marriage Crisis brought it down a point.

Blog Entries

I'm yet to think about my rating... but what was that ending scene about? Was it a parody of movie scene or something? (Things getting divided by passing some tall thing... I dunno) Anyways, I liked that one

EDIT: BTW, the writers were listed as Ian Maxtone-Graham and Billy Kimball (wrote "24 Minutes" and "Smoke on the Daughter", two episodes that I liked) according to opening credits. Did anyone catch it?
    Last edited by sung; 11-09-2008 at 05:43 PM.

plot stayed on track which is always a plus. the first act was painful, with no jokes or anything interesting happening. the second and third act had a few good laughs, but nothing to special. 3/5

Wow, was it just me, or was that kinda, sorta ...good?

I didn't mind the flashback marriage crisis, but the one that cropped up at the end of act two and took us into the third act was unnecessary. However, I didn't cringe even one time throughout the whole thing (well, when I think about it, that Bart ear gag at the beginning was pretty gross), and I actually chuckled a few times. And the Maude appearance was a real treat.

I also dug the structure of the episode, how it switched back and forth between three different periods rather nicely.

I'll have to go 4/5 on this one. I was pleasantly surprised.

EDIT: Goddamn it. I forgot about Ned first meeting Homer in "Lisa's First Word". Crap.

Oh well.

Blog Entries

I finally got the flashback episode I deserve,.. and I don't deserve much, ,,but this one I liked. I managed to watch this one with the fresh perspective of someone who has never seen a Simpson flashback ep,.. which helped me enjoy it immensely.
    I liked it thiiiiiis much -> 5/5

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
    I'm yet to think about my rating... but what was that ending scene about? Was it a parody of movie scene or something? (Things getting divided by passing some tall thing... I dunno) Anyways, I liked that one

EDIT: BTW, the writers were listed as Ian Maxtone-Graham and Billy Kimball (wrote "24 Minutes" and "Smoke on the Daughter", two episodes that I liked) according to opening credits. Did anyone catch it?
    I think it was just to show you that in ever time period it all turned out fine and they went home.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Fuck it, I actually really enjoyed it, and I'm so happy that I did.

Then again, I enjoyed That 90's Show, too... But the continuity didn't bother me in that one. In this one, it actually did a little, but just where Flanders was involved - still, although you could see it coming, Homer's first reactions to Flanders were pretty cute.

What I loved most about this episode was the narrative style - I was expecting a clear-cut trilogy episode along the lines of the Revenge one back in S18, with different characters telling their stories over the course of each act, but this was way, way, way better than that. It actually flowed very well, despite the timelines (and the last episode this writing pair wrote was 24 Minutes, wasn't it? The way the writing flowed kind of reminded me of that).

I didn't laugh much, but I never really do. I'm just mostly impressed with how well everything flowed, though I do have some logistics problems with the "wooing away" plot - it's not particularly responsible for a married couple with two kids to ditch off for a party, and while that part was explained away nicely enough with Grampa's inclusion - what the hell, then they completely forget about themselves and run off with two other people? This would have worked much, much better if this particular storyline had been done before they were married and had kids (or, at the very least - though this wouldn't have made it much better - if they only had one kid). Also, seeing the two they were with - Sylvia and Alfredo? - get together was... really... cliche. Obvious. Expected. But it was funny the way Homer and Marge inadvertantly set them up.

I would have liked it a little more if they had stuck with Homer and Marge's designs to more of a tee - at least with Marge's hair, make it plainer - for the twenty years ago segment. But I do like what they did with that - it was a good idea to show us Homer and Marge's first times dating. Kind of that whole young love theme, which was another nice little tie-in they did with SVT (though the girl he was with darting her eyes back and forth after Homer's remark was funny).

I'm disappointed that we didn't get much of flashback Bart and Lisa - writers, please, next time you want to do a flashback episode, can it be centred on the kids? It felt like they were veering off in that direction when Bart said that they grew up (and on that note, nice job with the two and the peddle car and the whole more matured love theme as well - everything connected and was paralleled beautifully) and I was disappointed we didn't get to see something of that. The bits where we did see them, though, were funny; both torturing Grampa for cookies and falling asleep. This just kind of... cements, to me, moreso, why if there's another flashback episode, it needs to focus on Bart and Lisa. There's some genuine untapped material in there - Homer and Marge is getting worn really, really thin.

On Homer and Marge again, I was even really enjoying their present-day situation, especially the reminiscing - the bit with the tree carving was nice. Homer and Marge fighting in present-day felt really, really forced though, like, where the fuck did that come from (although Homer's line about Marge being better and now worse was funny)? And of course, well... It would have been much, much nicer if Homer and been struggling with the tree bark when Marge came up, the tree doesn't fall over, Homer tries pointing out the carving to Marge and how he'd like to bring it back, and Marge tells him that they don't need the carving because their love is still strong or whatever, then have the conversation about having a small fight... I mean, christ, the way they met up with the kids (paddleboat) was funny, but it would have been so much nicer for the actual episode to have just maintained a down-to-earth tone. Because that's what this episode was, at least in the flashback segments - it was down-to-earth with very little wackiness. I mean, if they hadn't felt the need to throw in some craziness in the present-day stuff (the luggage ball, the life-threatening sequence), I would have enjoyed it all the more, especially since the first three episodes of the season (THOH doesn't count) have incorporated too much undue wackiness.

Aaand on Ned - not nearly as badly used as I thought, because I was thinking like... I assumed that Homer and Marge would have met them when they were engaged, rather than just straight out of high school on a summer vacation as I interpretted it (also, this just reminded me of another plot hole - the fuck, Homer and Marge are out biking and next thing we know they have shit packed up, re: Marge's pyjamas and can afford to be out camping with two strangers they don't know? What? There must have been a better way to get the two couples together...), and it didn't feel... I mean, it didn't feel like over-the-top psycho religious Flanders to me. Yeah, it felt a little over-the-top, certainly not classic era standards, but... not Jean's worst. It worked well enough. The whole bit after with Maude with the watergun was actually pretty funny and it looked nice and innocent enough to me as well - as long as you ignore the fact that it's the Flandereseses sticking their noses where they don't belong, it's cute on both couple's parts. And surprising - but also good - that they didn't make a "tongue-in-cheek" comment on Maude being dead. At least none that I can remember.

Um. Yeah. Despite cliched plots and modern era hackneyed resolutions, I really, really loved the narrative style - and that ending shot was very nice - so, you know. Solid A. 5/5. And also, um, holy shit. Sorry for the length of this.

It was a cute ep, but it broke canon way too much for me. Also, the tree falling thing was ridiculous.
    Houston, we have a problem.. a SEXY problem!

Pin Pal

I would have giving it a 2/5, but the Bart and Lisa bit bumped up to a 3/5.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Acts 1 and 2 were done quite well for this era of the show, but the third act seemed to head off into Nowhereland. The bark joke had to be one of the worst I've seen in two seasons.

Anyway, I'd go with 3/5.

It's Just A Flesh Wound ppoi307's Avatar

5/5 a return to glory, and a return for maude flanders (even though its only in this episode).

Junior Camper

Loved the phone only being used for fires joke. The kids with grandpa was great. I loved it, hilarious and felt classic. Voice acting was terrific.

5/5

This season is great! The only episode I wasn't a fan of what the THoH

Blog Entries

Wow. This episode was superb. The repeated premise was done in such a well executed manner, that it made everything fresh and interesting, along with blowing my "I think it's gonna be average" expectations. It almost seemed like format-bender within a flashback episode. Also, I must note, that this flashback worked. Nothing screwed with any major continiuity, and it seemed like the episode itself ditched the whole "90's show" idea. The jokes in this episode were top-notch IMO. I found myself laughing alot, and even the jokes that didn't register for me were at least not cringe-worthy. Overall, it was a sweet episode and I definitely can see me watching it again. This episode DESERVES a 4.5/5, rounded down to a 4 though, because it still doesn't meet my perfection standards. One of the better episodes so far this season.
    Last edited by lionelhutz123; 11-09-2008 at 07:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Hmm a mixed bag here. For the continuity... well the episode in context did not really talk much about the era where the stories were situated in, but some things in the episode kind of made me sense that time was kind of shifted to the more of 'recent' (the car design in marriage crisis story, for example) Homer and Marge's first encounter with Flanderses kind of broke the continuity from "Lisa's First Word" here, but episode was much lighter than "That 90's Show" when it came to the impact of the broken continuity. Sure, it kind of bug me, maybe I subtracted several points off just for that, but it was definitely not as bothering as S19 flashback. Anyways...

Anyways, as iceiwynd said, the narration of the stories was very good and perhaps unique. It kind of befuddled me at first, but it kind of gave me a good boost on 'what's to come' when I realized just how the episode was told. I love uniqueness that kind of escapes us out of the normal pattern and gives a 'new' way to look at the episode.

For plot and characterization, I don't think I can really separate those two for this episode; it had its good and bad aspects. First, the good... I liked the flashback stories' concepts. First one had the bark that would connect to the end... second one having the marriage crisis that would give more meaning to that particular motel (I forgot its title already ). I didn't see much wrong in the second one (besides Alfredo and Sylvia having family being predictable) but the first one... I know the isolation between Homer and Marge may have set up for more love between them when they were together (hence Homer carving their names on the tree), but Ned didn't feel really lovable and neither did Maude. Another characterization problem that lead to a flaw in plot came in after Homer and Marge realized about Alfredo and Sylvia. I mean, it's been 5 years, not like what, 5 hours; Homer's overreaction kind of turned me off and this aspect of marriage crisis felt forced. It's just another boorish and in-your-face Homer moment in Jean era, however... the good part of the plot/characterization here came in the end and it may have been cliche... but I really liked how Homer and Marge came to realize about the importance of their relationship and marriage. It just felt sweet after all the nonsense from the past that took place. It was definitely touching and cute and... pretty human. I wish we could've seen more bits of Bart and Lisa though, really. But I guess this flashback was meant to be just for Homer and Marge from the premise... (the synopsis kind of had me looking forward to Bart and Lisa's part of the story... but not much in the episode here)

Humor was decent. I did chuckle at several lines, but Homer's assertion of Bart and Lisa to write the boxcar took way too long and what was that tree falling thing about? For my preference, I never really like unrealism in action in the conflict part of the story (which often messes the story up) and bark peeling off... it may have been symbolic (I don't know exactly, but the peeling bark kind of gave me an impression of being a symbol of Simpson marriage) but ridiculous in context. Other than that, humor was decent, not horrible or anything. I can live with that

Overall, I like this much better than "Sex, Pies and Idiot Scrapes", "THOH 19" and "Double Double Boy in Trouble", but that's not really saying much in terms of quality..."Lost Verizon" (which, I've upgraded my grade to A-) still stands as my favorite episode of Season 20 btw. But ignoring very minor continuity issues, this is decent, not great, but watchable... and cute. B- or 3.6/5

P.S. is there any aspect of the Simpson family history or the flow of 'The Simpsons' show itself that is tolerable to be broken its continuity of... just like Kenny being brought back to life in every episode in South Park?

This episode was pretty solid. The flashbacks added to a lot of the humor. I enjoyed the skit where Bart and Lisa were tickling Grandpa for cookies. I also enjoyed the part where Homer and Marge met Maude and Flanders. Honestly, never been a fan of many Marriage flashbacks.

I didn't like the whole thing with Sylvia and whoever that European guy was. I only liked the box scene. Everything else was pretty ok. Not an excellent episode, but not a bad one either. I would give it a 3/5. Season 20 has been seriously delivering good ol' Simpsons episodes again.

I am your big brother

Blog Entries

Also, I want to add that this episode is written beautifully in terms of story-structure. Nothing was rushed or dragged out, and the episode flowed nicely. The ending was neat/tidy in my opinion. BEST ENDING OF SEASON 20 SO FAR. Once again, 9/10 of the jokes worked for me and that is saying alot since it happens rarely. Not the best episode obviously, but it definitely kept my attention. Overall I really enjoyed this episode.

RE: Meeting Flanders for first time continuity...

It doesn't bother me at all. It is definitely not the kind of impact that "That 90's Show" had. I like to think of it like this: Homer forgot he met Flanders back when he was dating. He is only human, so when he actually met Flanders "for the first time" in "Lisa's First Word", it was just simply Homer not realizing that he has met this guy somewhere before. Sort of like Homer meeting Marge in "The Way We Weren't". I mean, I'm not saying it's wrong to think otherwise on this subject or that it's bad to be upset about, but if I were you guys, I wouldn't think too deeply into this Flanders/Continuity thing.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

On the meeting Flanders continuity thing, just think about how long it was between those two meetings. Strait out of high school and then moving into their house, its quite a while and i just like to assume that they didn't recognize eachother at first and eventually they realized who they were, but you know off screen......... sorta a stretch I know.

But yeah I liked the way the episode was layed out with the 2 or 3 stories (couldn't really tell how many) not being told in the normal fasion. But still the episode almost seemed to have no point to me. My dad walked in half way through and I found myself completely unable to explain to him what was going on.

Ummmmmmmmmm.... 3/5
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Shutton View Post
    On the meeting Flanders continuity thing, just think about how long it was between those two meetings. Strait out of high school and then moving into their house, its quite a while and i just like to assume that they didn't recognize eachother at first and eventually they realized who they were, but you know off screen......... sorta a stretch I know.

Beat you to it, but yeah I'm glad you agree. Great minds think alike. Wow, we posted the same idea at the same time.

Stonecutter

As soon as I saw Homer talking to that one woman I instinctively thought uh-oh Marriage Crisis, but the lying kind-of avoided it, but it really felt forced. This season is a real mixed bag, I'm still on the fence if I should give the episode a low 4/5 or a high 3/5, but overall an ok episode which I wouldn't mind watching again.

Junior Camper

seeing as the space time continuum can't make the different eras of the simpsons co-exist with each other chronologically, since they have all been the same age for 20 years, the continuity errors don't really annoy me

I thought the intent for this episode was good, apart from the fact that it is a very overdone premise. Most of it truly did entertain me, which can't be guaranteed of a Simpsons episode nowadays. The writing seemed to tread a line of actually being very good, but at times pretty crappy as usual. Maybe they just had enough going on that the episode wasn't allowed to wane for too long. But what was good about it definitely did impress me. Grandpa and the kids was very fun ... but how did they get to the cabin at the end? Regardless, I think when the writers explore the characters like this there's bound to be more to draw the viewer in. The highlight was probably seeing newlyweds Maude and Ned. I almost wish they gave Maude more to do this episode. I have one major complaint, and that lies in the people Marge and Homer were cheating on each other with. So ... flat. There was nothing that made them intriguing individuals. The people they cheated on each other with in the classic era weren't shining examples of well-rounded characters either, but they had distinct qualities that made them memorable, and not generic. Hell, that's an issue with almost any new side-character they bring in on the show, they're usually bland. Not to mention guest stars ... (Oh, I did like that this episode had no guest stars for once, that was refreshing.) I think the show just needs to ... not be bland. Plot, characterization, humor, just generally all around. Anyway, I gave the episode a 4/5. B -

I'd hesitate to call this a bad episode, but trying to hold 3 simultaneous plots together like this in a twenty minute format made the whole thing feel sort of disjointed. as marriage crisis episodes go, I guess the plots were pretty solid, they just could've been executed better. not a whole lot of laughs out of this episode either c+/b-

Thread Information