View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
212. You may not vote on this poll
  • V/V: Hmm, fabulous house, well-behaved kids, sisters-in-law dead, luxury sedan...woo hoo! I hit the jackpot.

26 12.26%
  • IV/V: Super Fun Happy Slide?!?

75 35.38%
  • III/V: I've coughed up scarier stuff than that!

62 29.25%
  • II/V: At first they were cute and funny, but now they are just annoying.

33 15.57%
  • I/V: Quit throwing your garbage into our dimension.

16 7.55%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: rate & review "treehouse of horror XIX" (kabf16)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

rate & review "treehouse of horror XIX" (kabf16)

SYNOPSIS: Three chilling tales of Halloween horror unwind in THE SIMPSONS annual “Treehouse of Horror” Halloween special. First, Homer kills off celebrities so their likenesses can be exploited free-of-charge in “How to Get Ahead in Dead-Vertising.” Next, Transformer-like robots duke it out in Springfield in “Untitled Robot Parody.” And in “It’s the Grand Pumpkin, Milhouse,” Lisa accompanies Milhouse to a pumpkin patch to await the appearance of the Grand Pumpkin, but when he finally appears, the Grand Pumpkin goes on a rampage to avenge all the pumpkins carved and tortured in the name of Halloween. Also, the highly-anticipated episode opener features Homer Simpson as he attempts to cast his ballot for the 2008 Presidential election with a deadly twist.

That was... that was... funny.

I really enjoyed the third segment and the first was good too. Second was alright.

4/5

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Uh-oh, no scary names so far
    Not a bad opening, but other than Homer being killed, it's not really Halloween themed

First act
    Why do they keep having people list things? They really aren't that funny and scream "filler"
    Oh good, they have scary names now.
    "well, the toaster has never lied to me before"... Not bad.
    Some nice designs on the robots.
    I'm disappointed in this segment, I was hoping the transformers taking over the planet would be the main plot, but instead it was basically just robots fighting and a few one-liners from characters. Very rushed and not particularily memorable. 2/5

Second act
    No Kang and Kodos so far, this will probably be the segment they appear in.
    The opening of this segment is nice, but seems really out of place.
    Krusty getting eaten by the wood chipper went on far too long.
    Wow, Charleton Heston just died in April, they sure got to referencing his death fast.
    Montages do not belong in Treehouse of Horror episodes.
    Nice Jimmy Stewart impression, I'm amazed they didn't have a long explanation of who he was.
    You know, this segment just seems like an excuse for lame jokes about dead celebrities. The Edward G. Robinson thing was funny, but most of them, especially the John Wayne and Lincoln ones, fell flat. 2/5.

Third act
    Okay, I guess Kang and Kodos will be in this one (or at the end). You know, I haven't seen any mention of them in the promos, maybe they aren't in this one...
    A lot of effort went into this one from the animators, great character designs and backgrounds.
    The Trombone joke is the highlight so far.
    I like Bart's costume.
    Since when does Bart hang out with Dolph and Jimbo?
    The Grand Pumpkin's voice sounds different than I pictured, I thought it would be deeper.
    Kang and Kodos sighting! I'm guessing that they had no room anywhere for them so they shoved them in there.
    Loved the bit with the dog house flying past the school.
    Marge's ending seemed a little weird. Apparantly they had some trouble getting the rights for it (hence why it is the "grand pumpkin"), I wonder if Marge's line about trampling a holiday classic is a reference to that?
    Great segment, by far the best of the episode, and the best since "The Ned Zone". 4/5.

This is the first THOH where Kang and Kodos did not have a single line... Damn you Matt Warburton!
    Overall, I'll give this a 3/5. Not much, but the final segment saved it.
    Last edited by McClure; 11-02-2008 at 06:27 PM.

Holy crap these just get shorter and shorter every year. You know there's something wrong when you've seen 75% of a segment from commercials.

could have been better.

The Transformers Parody was a bit weak, the only thing that got even a slight smile being Homers "The Toasters Never Lied To Me Before" line. How To Get Ahead In Dead-Vertising was the episodes shinning moment, starting from the heaven part on right till the beginning it was rally funny, and really enjoyable. than there was "The Grand Pumpkin Milhouse", dreadful. I woulda enjoyed this if i havnt seen it already on Robot Chicken 3 years ago! Tom Turkey thing was kinda funny though. 3/5

Valar Morghulis Big McLargehuge's Avatar

Ugh, really the only redeeming part of that episode was the Great Pumpkin parody and the Mad Men-esque opening of the second segment. The Transformers parody was terrible.

5/5 very funny and great episode, the Transformers segment was definitely the weakest but still very good, I loved the whole episode. One of the best THoH episode in years, though most of the Thoh are very good.

One question though, what was the beginning of the second segment a reference to? When Homer was all black and jumped off the building.

Quote Originally Posted by |Mr.Sparkle| View Post
    One question though, what was the beginning of the second segment a reference to? When Homer was all black and jumped off the building.
    Mad Men.

Quote Originally Posted by The J Man View Post
    Mad Men.
    oh I've never seen that show, was that whole segment about Mad Men or just the beginning?

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Thumbs Up

4/5 great animation, the show was filled with clever pop culture references and there were a lot of excellent jokes (yellow pumpkins, LOL). Didn't feel rushed at all. best thoh in 7 years!
    UP AND ATOM!

Pin Pal

The first act 3/5

The second act 4/5

The third act 4/5

overall 4/5

This THOR was better then last years.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

I really liked it. The animation was topnotch all the way through and the jokes, for the most part, were great. The only one that truly felt halloweeny was the last one but the other 2 weren't too bad. They all just seemed really short, like really really short. Anyway much better than last years and if that is the animation style (not the peanuts stuff) of the rest of the true season 19 i'm gonna be happy.

At first I thought 4/5 but fuck it 5/5
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

Junior Camper

opening: had seen it before, but I still like this opening
    first act: meh, some of the robot jokes were pretty funny ... but as for plot, couldn't care less
    second act: intro was amazing, as far as the actual segment, I was pretty amused by the celebrity humor, as cheap as it was, there's just something very simpsons about it that I liked, but overall, another meh segment
    third act: I LOVED THIS

I give it a 4/5 overall, oh, and may I say, I loved the spooky names this year

p.s., I think these THOH's would be a lot better if Fox treated them as specials and either gave them an hour or no commercials, but I don't see that ever happening

Certainly a step above last year's edition.

The Untitled Robot Parody had potential, but it was too damn short.

The second segment was the weakest one.

It's the Grand Pumpkin was the funniest, especially the comment about racist pumpkins.

I like how they were able to weave Thanksgiving and Christmas into an annual Halloween tradition.

3.0/5

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Mad Men / Dead-vertising comparison:

Mad Men: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcRr-Fb5xQo

THOH XIX: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcmM7Jh2Y3k

I for one am happy to see Kang and Kodos kept at a minimum (or in this case less than 10 second background appearance. For a 22- minute special that wants to try new things every year, they really can put a wrench in things sometimes. When they work, they're excellent, but when they're shoehorned in they can break a segment.

Here are my thoughts on Treehouse of Horror XIX:

"Untitled Robot Parody"- This turned out to be a much better segment than I expected, quite funny. Especially leading up to the part where the robots come alive in Lisa's room, was well thought out and ran smoothly. I enjoyed the part where they were showing the robots transforming like Otto and the ATM and Apu and the nacho cheese machine. Best Segment in the last 4 years,IMO. I'll give this segment an A

"How To Get Ahead in Dead-Vertising"- The beginning started out okay, but I'm just not crazy about this one. It got a little out of hand with all the celebrities, and found it slightly boring. Though it did have its moments. I'll give this segment a B-

"It's the Grand Pumpkin, Milhouse"- Here we are, the most anticipated segment parodying a television classic, and it tured out to be....EXCELLENT! The take on "Peanuts" was spot-on, and I got a lot of chuckles in this one. Homer on top of the house like Snoopy was really funny, and the lead up to the Grand Pumpkin was handled great as well. I enjoyed the reason for why the Grand Pumpkin went on his rampage, and the ending didn't seemed rushed and was great. I'll give this segment an A

Overall, this is definitely an improvement over the past few Treehouse of Horrors and proved to be a particularly funny episode. And I'm glad to see them do a "Peanuts" parody, and "Transformers" parody, which both turned out great. 4.0/5 B+
    Last edited by WBadger; 11-02-2008 at 06:17 PM.

Blog Entries

Is it just me or is it that these segments are getting shorter and shorter in stories as the year goes?

I think all of them, given on how they started, had a big promise. But none of them really felt fulfilling in the end, mostly due to the lack of unanticipated twist that would really fit the shock that we have seen in the earlier THOH's. Anyways...

First segment:
    Great start, I laughed at the car's transformation driving Maggie crazy around. And it looked like it was building something up.... finally the final battle (I wish there were more detail on how the robots would get to the final battle and its importance of it, but whatever), but they just took Marge's advice, made a foosball out of several citizens of Springfield, the end. Man, this segment felt a lot shorter than that "Heck House" segment from last year's THOH C-

Second segment:
    The intro, as I've said earlier, was amazing. The plot felt actually decent on this one and the segment overall, felt less shorter than the first one. There were some decent pop-culture references ("All you need is... more brains to eat!!!"... or was it something like that), jokes were pretty good and ending was pretty unexpected (not the Lincoln thing...) and the segment overall, was decent. B/B+

Third segment:
    Huh... this was the most anticipated huh? Well first, I'd say that the animation in the background, was amazing. I loved the intro and several classic Peanut-like movements also (dancing, Milhouse running to the school, Lisa and Milhouse walking in the intro, etc.). Presentation was definitely excellent... humor was pretty good, but for chrissakes I wish they could have the pace of dialogues faster (ala olden years) so we can see more of the stories in the shorter time. Watching this segment felt like that the characters were thinking at least twice of what they were going to say. Anyway, the ending was very predictable and felt very short. Overall, a mixed bag here: great presentation and humor, but something else... must've been sleeping in home B-

Overall grade: C/C+ or 2.65/5. I remembered that it was at least more enjoyable than the doppleganger episode.

EDIT: Did anyone caught that the music in the school dance was played by an iPod? I liked that joke
    calmer than you are

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

The opening wasn't too bad. I mean, great timing, of course, and not overdone, and I get what they were going for in making it Halloween-related, and they did a good enough job with that. It was a little funny. Not blatantly terrible or anything.

Untitled Robot Parody, though... what the hell was that? That was incredibly short. It just... Out of nowhere, these random appliances just... ... I'm left speechless by this. It just didn't make any fucking sense. And... I dunno, but it sure as hell felt ridiculously uninspired. Just... bad. I... ... yeah.

VERY nice Mad Men parody for Dead-Vertising, though. The animation throughout this episode really was great, aside from the uninspired beginnings. AND... gore! When was the last time there was actual gore in a THOH? That was really, really nice to see; both Krusty and Homer's head just getting blown off. It started off well-enough - the elaborate death methods were funny enough (and Homer attempting to perform CPR on Krusty got a laugh from me), but most of the celebrity jokes fell pretty fat, especially the Lincoln stuff (seriously, what the hell?). It also felt... Well, it was better than Untitled Robot Parody, but you know, it still wasn't really good or anything. Cute twist on the ending though.

The saviour of this episode. was, without a doubt, the final segment. Oh, my god. The animators really went all-out on it, and it reeks of effort - VERY nicely done. Just a real treat to watch. The style was replicated beautifully, the backgrounds, the walk cycles, the music, and the various references - Homer acting like Snoopy got me. So did the doghouse flying by the school. Marge was great. So was Bart's costume. And I couldn't gush over the backgrounds and animation possibly enough. And added onto that, they did a great job with the story. I was initially worried on seeing how short the first segment was, but realized that that would hopefully make more time for the last one - it did and, fuck, awesome. The three segments did keep on improving, but this one was leaps and bounds over... most segments from previous years. I don't know why, but I even laughed at Kang and Kodos' appearance, just the way they were tossed in... I dunno why I found it funny, but I did. The stuff with the Grand Pumpkin was great, Tom Turkey was great... I was almost expecting Santa to come along, but ha, this was such a great, great segment.

So, overall... um. I'll be generous (I usually am) and due to the last segment, the Mad Men parody, and the fact that there was gore, plus the opening was entertaining enough, I'll give this a weak 4/5. This is mostly just riding on that last segment though. I'm probably in such a good mood because it was, well... the last one.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

One thing that kinda annoyed me was how the Transformers, the Grand Pumpkin and Tom Turkey all had pretty much the same exact voice.

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by iceiwynd View Post
    So, overall... um. I'll be generous (I usually am) and due to the last segment, the Mad Men parody, and the fact that there was gore, plus the opening was entertaining enough, I'll give this a weak 4/5. This is mostly just riding on that last segment though. I'm probably in such a good mood because it was, well... the last one.
    exact same thoughts over here

I was really, really impressed with just about everything in the third segment ... writing/pacing, animation, art direction, acting ... and if it weren't for that, the episode wouldn't be getting a 4/5 from me

The second act was the funniest, Homer massaging a heart and handing back money cause he was too cold were the best laughs. I got a few more good laffs through out, and that which wasn't funny was fun to watch at least. The Charlie Brown touch to the last act rocked!
    An over all good time was had by all! (me) 5/5

2/5, the only thing that saved the show from a 1/5 for me was the great third segment.
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

I give it a IV.. I enjoyed the last two segments but the first one was just boring..ugh! I thought the Great Pumpkin one was the best and very funny!

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

This episode had it all, the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs...

Okay, first the low point (or points)... what the hell was up with that god-awful Lincoln joke? And to end a segment on it? Just dumb. There's no humor to it, no satire, just flat out dumb. It really spoiled the episode. When I go back to watch it, I won't be thinking about the positive points, just this terrible joke.

The first segment had some good parts (Bart in the store, Maggie with the car, and especially Otto at the ATM), but the whole segment seemed sort of pointless. It had a filler feel to it, and to start the episode off with it wasn't so good. The reason why I say this is that it felt pointless. I guess that can be construed as a commentary on the movie Transformers (which I never saw) as being really pointless, e.g.- robots who come to earth for some reason to fight it out and then attack humans. As mentioned, there were pleasant touches in there, but nothing really to make it memorable. Voice acting of the robots was lousy too.

Second segment... well I mentioned Lincoln, but what I did like was the Mad Men opening. The segment with John Wayne and all the spliced clips could have possibly been the highlight of the episode up until that point. Classic Simpsons with that commercial. The setup for the plot seemed a little strange (lawyers coming to Homer after he killed a celebrity). Also, f*ck the goddamn music montages. A THoH segment where they kill music montages would be more interesting than actually doing one.

Third segment... arguably the best segment in a long time. The only segment that I think might have been as good as it since THoH XIII (all three segment were actually good in that one) was maybe The Ned Zone. Being dead on when copying something famous isn't enough to warrant something being good. Nonetheless, this segment did much more. It had a real story to it of its own merit. Unlike other episodes where things came to life (e.g.- You Gotta Know When to Golem), the Grand Pumpkin was actually funny and interesting. The ending with the Turkey was hysterical and added a final touch to an already great segment.

I'd probably give the first two segments less than 3/5, and the last one 5/5. It averages out to about a 3/5. C/C+

The episode was good, but still not like the originals. A lot of people think its cool how they parody pop culture, but I think its dumb. In the first eight seasons it wasn't all pop culture references. "Tree Hose of Horror XIX" was fun and enjoyable, but nothing like "The Shinning" in "V". I personally think it's because of people like David S. Cohen leaving.

My Review-
    Starting out at the poles was great, and I found it quite enjoyable. But the first short "Untitled Robot Parody" was just another pop culture reference after another. Then the second "How To Go Ahead In Dead-Vertising", the beginning had great animation and had entertaining moments. And finally, the third "It's The Grand Pumpkin, Milhouse" had great animation, but faded out by the end. I would say this episodes a 27/100... that's good compared to all other episodes this season (heck, the last ten years) that have been 3/100! Go Obama!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xt'Tapalatakettle
    what the hell was up with that god-awful Lincoln joke?
    There has been a rumor on the possibility of Lincoln being homosexual and I guess.... writers just went for that. Eh, in this age where audience define 'funny' as 'Family Guy gag funny', the writers had to put that (I do remember that scene from 'The Monkey Suit' where they had Darwin and Satan making out with each other... seriously wtf)

If you want to hear about this aspect of Lincoln, read this

that was actually a pretty solid episode. blows last year's thoh out of the water. there were at least a few weak points in every segment, and the opening was a waste, but overall it was pretty good. B

Quote Originally Posted by |Mr.Sparkle| View Post
    oh I've never seen that show, was that whole segment about Mad Men or just the beginning?
    Homer being an ad man was the only tie to Mad Men. oh and the opening sequence.

Schweeet cakes!

4/5

I agree with most that this year's THOH was much better than those in recent years -- definitely better than last year's! The intro was pretty cool, but I was expecting to see "scary names" on the opening credits...so I thought they weren't going to do them at all! But, I was wrong.

The Robot Parody was much too short...I really liked the Homer/toaster joke though. I didn't know the opening to Dead-vertising was a reference to Mad Men, but I liked it. The rest of that story was okay. The Lincoln-may-be-gay thing was kinda weird. "It's The Grand Pumpkin, Milhouse" segment was the best. The references to Charlie Brown were spot on: Milhouse and Lisa walking in the beginning looking like Linus and Sally; the music and (Marge's) trombone; Homer like Snoopy; Bart saying "Good grief" in a Charlie Brown costume; the dog on the doghouse flying by the school. I thought Marge at the end was a little weird and by then the trombone part wasn't as funny as before. I also caught the iPod, which made me laugh.

Great animation throughout...nice
    "You mean it's not Maggaggie's birthday?" -Homer

Humanizing Vacuums TheGingerDeadMan's Avatar

For some reason, 3/5. Probably the best rating I'll give all season.

Thread Information