View Poll Results: What did you think of "Road to Germany"?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

6 20.69%
  • 4/5

6 20.69%
  • 3/5

11 37.93%
  • 2/5

0 0%
  • 1/5

6 20.69%

Thread: Rate/Review Family Guy "Road to Germany"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate/Review Family Guy "Road to Germany"

Er...where ARE all of you? There's this fantastic FG on...yes, YES, I'm serious!

So far, Mort Goldman has accidentally traveled back in time to Nazi Germany and Stewie and Brian go back to save them. Back to the Future references ensue...

Fantastic episode? No way. Seemed more like an elaborate excuse to show off sleek animation action sequences. None of those were funny or interesting to me at all, so that brought down the episode a lot for me. The first act was pretty decent, and the McCail/Palin joke was solid (you can tell they edited those names onto the button late in the game, long after the episode was finished being made I'm sure). But overall it wasn't a very good episode. However, it did feature the funniest joke of the year for me - the European see and say toy.

The monkey goes..MAKAK!
    Signature.

^Strange. I was sure you would prefer this one over the normal cutaway fest.

I loved it. The movie references were great, and boy, quite a few composers are getting their royalties tonight! McCain/Palin button joke, cheap, but well placed. I also loved the musical number "screw you" gag, even if we were cheated out of a song...

5/5

Greg Colton, the episode's director claims that there were a lot of jokes that couldn't make it into tonight's broadcast, although they will resurface on DVD. Despite that, there was no time to fit in a musical (one that didn't rip straight from a musical film), which sorta brought this down for me.

This was slightly better than Road to Rupert, though the political stabs have been getting cheesier by the second.

3.25/5

I thought this was a pretty fun episode. I groaned a bit at the McCain button, not because I didn't see it coming because I knew he'd do something like that sometime before this election was over, but because you know...it's groan worthy.

But for the most part it was fun. Some great animation by Family Guy standards, and Stewie was in awesome mode in this one. I always love the Brian and Stewie centric episodes best in this.

Sort of amusing, but in the end...if they returned 30 seconds before Mort went to the bathroom...that means another Stewie and Brian are still on the couch. They created a possible time paradox unless they lay low. lol

Well, what kinda bothered me about this episode is that they've already done Road to Europe (which included Germany), and they've already done a full-blown time travel episode, including Back to the Future references, so I didn't find this all that fresh. For a Stewie & Brian "Road to.." episode, there was also WAAAAY too little banter or interaction between the two characters throughout the whole episode. They played off eachother so much better in this season's premiere, for example. This episode was just mainly focused on historical humor, Jew jokes, Mort jokes, parodies and action sequences.

I did like the screw-you musical number joke as well, though.

Something that really hit me while watching the episode today:
    Can you believe how much things have changed in the last 8 years? Seems like it was just yesterday that "When You Wish Upon A Weinstein" was too Jew-jokey and controversial to air on TV. Tonight's episode certainly put that one to shame, eh?

To the book depository! burnin''s Avatar

i really liked it.

also

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,441301,00.html

yeah...you own that show...

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
    Well, what kinda bothered me about this episode is that they've already done Road to Europe (which included Germany), and they've already done a full-blown time travel episode, including Back to the Future references, so I didn't find this all that fresh. For a Stewie & Brian "Road to.." episode, there was also WAAAAY too little banter or interaction between the two characters throughout the whole episode. They played off eachother so much better in this season's premiere, for example. This episode was just mainly focused on historical humor, Jew jokes, Mort jokes, parodies and action sequences.

I did like the screw-you musical number joke as well, though.

Something that really hit me while watching the episode today:
    Can you believe how much things have changed in the last 8 years? Seems like it was just yesterday that "When You Wish Upon A Weinstein" was too Jew-jokey and controversial to air on TV. Tonight's episode certainly put that one to shame, eh?
    Well it wasn't too fresh yeah, but you know...it's Family Guy we're talking about. You can only get so fresh. I thought though that even among Brian and Stewie do something huge episodes it was particularly fun.

Times are changing, but maybe it's more to do with the fact people just expect it from Family Guy now. Though even if the whole thing takes place in 1939 Europe its Jew-centric stuff I think is actually pretty fluffy in comparison to that thing in Weinstein. The Nazis get most of the beating, but for the most part it's not a dedicated satirical episode really...just an excuse to have Brian and Stewie go on a crazy regurgitated adventure.
    Last edited by Kiyosuki; 10-20-2008 at 12:28 PM.

4/5 i really enjoy Family Guy "Road To" episodes. this one was on par with the others. Family Guy is at a winning streak and i am pleased. first time since season 3 ive enjoyed 3 episodes in a row. the future looks good

Blog Entries

Brian, Stewie & Nazi's?? ..Winner combo! 4/5

I'd say it was an episode that was really reaching for ideas premise-wise but still turned out alright with some brilliantly animated action sequences and a few laughs along the way. I liked Stewie's sarcastic reaction to Brian's breaking-the-fourth-wall critique of the War in Iraq, as it nicely poked fun at themselves while also tossing out some political satire. The McCain-Palin badge gag was a little more one-sided but you've got to give it to them, they're not shy about their political leanings (being that I'm not American nor hold any politicians in particularly high regard, it certainly doesn't offend me).

At the end of the day I wouldn't call it a great episode but it was enjoyable enough. 4/5
    "How could this have happened?
    We started out like Romeo & Juliet but it ended up in tragedy..."
    - Milhouse Van Houten

There is a LOT of Simpsons vs FG talk in the commentary on "Moving Out (Brian's Song)" on the new DVD set. In short, James L. Brooks and Al Jean are cited as not taking the act break Simpsons joke well, and being responsible for Fox cutting it. Matt Groening, however, apparently had a good sense of humor about it.

Cindy Chupagdjsuddjdbdsjsk (I won't bother getting the name right!) worked on The Simpsons apparently from season 4-8 and after that, left, and now is very disappointed with the quality of the show too. There's lots and lots of talk.

Cindy Chupagdjsuddjdbdsjsk (I won't bother getting the name right!) worked on The Simpsons apparently from season 4-8 and after that, left, and now is very disappointed with the quality of the show too. There's lots and lots of talk.
    You mean Cherry Chevapravatdumrong? The last name is forgivable because it's just insane, but the first name too??!
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    the Jonas Brothers make my gay, pedophile dick so hard.

Hm, interesting. It doesn't really make a satirical show look that great when you tell the network to take a jab at said show off the air does it? And I thought the break thing was pretty tasteless too but you know what? Double standard is double standard any way you put it. Bah, whatever.

Talk about derailing the thread. lol
    Last edited by Kiyosuki; 10-21-2008 at 11:48 PM.

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There is a LOT of Simpsons vs FG talk in the commentary on "Moving Out (Brian's Song)" on the new DVD set. In short, James L. Brooks and Al Jean are cited as not taking the act break Simpsons joke well, and being responsible for Fox cutting it. Matt Groening, however, apparently had a good sense of humor about it.

Wish I could hear this, but I'm not going to buy a dvd just to hear that, and people don't usually bother uploading dvd commentaries to torrent sites do they.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    You mean Cherry Chevapravatdumrong? The last name is forgivable because it's just insane, but the first name too??!
    Bahaha, yeah, I really dropped the ball on that one.

She must have had one hell of a childhood with an awesome name like that.

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

Fairly standard Family Guy episode. Nothing terrible but no jokes really stood out, apart from the pointless McCain thing.

Other than a few historical inaccuracies and the McCain-Palin joke, I thought this episode was great. 4/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by :FD:Mario View Post
    this episode sucked waste of my time!!!! Family guy has not been great lately this season has been a let down go Simpson's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    should i delete this worthless post, yes or no

I vote yes...

Blog Entries

yes it is then, hooray for democracy

Shouldn't you rid of the quote in your post? Until then, it technically still exists...

Slightly better than Rupert and Rhode Island! I think this is a REALLY fun episode! NAZI'S! 4/5!

Thread Information