• 2/4: Family Guys humor is blasphemy

20 39.22%
  • 1/5: Oh god, not another crappy family guy

14 27.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Reviews Family Guy: I dream of Jesus

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate and Reviews Family Guy: I dream of Jesus

Peter re-discovers his passion for the song "Surfin' Bird", but Brian and Stewie find it so annoying that they try to prevent it from being heard again. Distraught, Peter searches every record store in town for a copy of the song until he runs into Jesus himself, and the two start hanging out.

It started off strong, Surfin' Bird gag was great at first but got kinda old in the other acts. I found a lot of it amusing simply because it was all happening to Jesus. 4/5

...Is Back Baby!!! The "Urban" Lenny's Avatar

I absolutely hated that "surfing bird" gag. I really hate it when family guy repeats the same unfunny gag over and over again. The whole Jesus thing was boring and predictable.Probably the worst episode of the series; 1/5

Yes, it was 2/4. For Family Guy to not go full-balls-blasphemy with Jesus felt strange, especially amongst AIDS and rape jokes. The "Surfin' Bird" gag went on so long that by the credits, I had entered into a hysterical frenzy in which my whole being knew of only one thing...one word...

Bird.

Bird is the word.

[also, sucky cutaways]

The Jesus plot was fairly pointless (including an even more pointless stab at President Bush (who's on his way out in 3 months)), yet it included a few mildly funny cutaways.

The best part was Act 1 with Peter's "song-stuck-in-his-head" scenario. There's usually nothing noteworthy about FG's art, but I think Mike Kim's direction added something to it, like with Brian and Stewie smashing the record that probably wouldn't have worked with the other directors.

No one else thought that they could've just re-recorded the song on CD's, you know, since records are practically extinct?

2.25/5

Boat on a track Train on the Water's Avatar

Hmm, I found the "Surfin' Bird" thing funny throughout the whole episode. The highlight had to be the Office Space parody, but I also loved that Jesus gave Peter the record again at the end.

"Guess who learned a lot about transvestites last night?"
    "I was only on that website for like two seconds!"

not sure why I bothered trying to watch this, but I stopped paying attention after an entire act of peter singing surfin' bird.

Blog Entries

This show sucks

Humanizing Vacuums TheGingerDeadMan's Avatar

Jesus Christ. 2/5

So what I did there?

Blog Entries

It was OK. Could they have picked a more annoying song though? But maybe that was the point. The Jay Leno parody sounded nothing like Jay and wasn't very funny, although the Dane Cook parody was near dead-on (and I still found it funny, despite being a Dane Cook fan). Brian's jaw dropping on the table was a pretty funny scene break.

3/5 - Funny but nothing super memorable.

King of the Rock Bottom The Sovereign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

3/5

i actually enjoyed the surfin bird thing....just cause it's such a dumb, annoying frickin song and they used it accordingly
    also liked the scene when Stewie and Brian smashed all the records

Really, everyone?!?

I thought it was hysterical. The hit-and-miss ratio was to pre-revival standards, and I thought all of Peter's attempts to start the song were quite inspired and fun. Stewie and Brian's misery (along with the Office Space parody) was equally great. As well as Dane Cook bashing, too! This was easily the best episode since the Stewie Kills Lois two-parter last year.

5/5...

I'll bring my hilarious apron Jye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was okay. Nothing too special, but far better than some of the crap episodes we've had since last Season.

3/5.

Six 2/5's? Yes, I know lately episodes have been sucking hard, but a genuinely great one like this comes out which is also getting raves from other sites as well, and it comes clear that some of you are voting out of blind hatred and passion. Stop being such Simpsons fanboys sometimes and remember that your show sure isn't perfect as well...

The Hammer is my penis Capt Hammer's Avatar

Eh preety average 2.4/5 means 2/5 and no its not cause im a 'simpsons fanboy'
    "Look, Marge, you don't know what it's like. I'm the one out there every day putting his ass on the line. And i'm not out of order! You're out of order. The whole freaking system is out of order. You want the truth? You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth! Because when you reach over and put your hand into a pile of goo, that was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do! Forget it, Marge. It's Chinatown!" - Homer's rant.

Quote Originally Posted by homer5000 View Post
    Six 2/5's? Yes, I know lately episodes have been sucking hard, but a genuinely great one like this comes out which is also getting raves from other sites as well, and it comes clear that some of you are voting out of blind hatred and passion. Stop being such Simpsons fanboys sometimes and remember that your show sure isn't perfect as well...
    Sorry but I actually like Family Guy, and I didn't like this episode. I thought last week's episode was infinitely better.

My conspiracy theory. By Vincent Cannata.
    I contend that THIS was just an attempt to see how many people download "Surfin' Bird" after watching this show.
    It was like if a WHOLE SIMPSONS episode featured 'the rake bit'.
    I feel as if the song was being unleashed to the 21 and younger crowd. The same was "Full Metal Jacket" did for the previous one, and like "Dr. Demento" did for mine!
    It's a way to prove the power of the show. Can anyone check and see if the song makes the iTunes downloading charts, or where ever 'the kids' go to get music these days?

Last week's FG was great. This week's blew. Two times I wanted to hit Fast Forward on my remote during this episode. Twice during Peter singing Surfin' Bird, and once during the agonizingly long Office Space parody. Just because you replicate something at great length and detail, it doesn't mean it's funny. It involves no creativity and is a waste of screentime.

The Jesus storyline was pretty stupid, and came out of nowhere at the record store sequence. I'm not sure how much of this story was intended for shock value, but it came off way more just plain silly and nonsensical than funny and bold.

2/5
    Signature.

Reformed Lurker

HUGE FG/AD fan here.

I was let down by this immeasurably. What a terribly unfunny episode.

American Dad also was pretty bad this week.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Wasn't Paris Hilton supposed to be in this episode?

The "Surfin' Bird" bit was pretty annoying. I guess they'll now do for that song what they did for "Don't Stop Believin" (Every time I've ever gone to a karaoke bar, I've heard that song at least twice)

Anyway, the Jesus plot didn't live up to its potential and the Bush joke was pretty bad. The highlights were the Office Space parody and the opening at the 50s diner.

absolutley terrible.

Chinese daylight vampire kupomog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McClure View Post
    The highlights were the Office Space parody and the opening at the 50s diner.
    I feel the same.

I think I would've like this more if it was just about that annoying fucking song and had nothing to do with Jesus because that whole part just felt pointless as ever and didn't feel like it really connected to the rest of the episode. They probably could've chopped his story off into a separate episode.

They really ran the "Surfin' Bird" stuff into the ground, though Peter finding ways to burst into the song at any opportunity (such as the scene with Brian and Stewie at the breakfast table) had its moments. The Jesus plot had a few laughs here and there but they're really reaching for ideas with a story like that. The Jay Leno parody was another lowlight for me, a very uninspired "Let's take a couple of his traits and portray them really over the top so people will know we think he's stupid" approach at "satirising" him and frankly taking shots at Leno these days is a bit passe.

I'd give it a 3/5.
    "How could this have happened?
    We started out like Romeo & Juliet but it ended up in tragedy..."
    - Milhouse Van Houten

Resistance is Futile

that was a fuckin stupid episode.

1/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by homer5000 View Post
    Stop being such Simpsons fanboys sometimes and remember that your show sure isn't perfect as well...
    nobody even mentioned the simpsons dude

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

South Park already did the "Jesus among everyone else" thing a dozen years ago. I'm not sure what the point of this episode was--was it trying to be edgy? Either way, it was a nonsensical first act, an okay second act, and the cliche "fame goes to his head" third act. Putting Jesus as the lead doesn't make it any more interesting, and when the episode ended, it all felt really pointless and meandering. The Jesus story just felt thrown in and half-baked altogether.

Family Guy's about gags, though, so if it was funny enough, then there wouldn't be a problem. The episode did make me laugh a couple times. The Bird song was terrible about 90% of the time and quite funny for the other 10%. Stewie's reactions to it were good too. And the Dane Cook bit, as well as the guy saying "I saw him on the internet and I'm in college, haha!" (ironic a comment as that might be coming from Family Guy) were satisfying to see. But amidst that, we've got dozens of failed jokes, more nonsensical and dumb celebrity bashing/cutaways (the MovieTone thing, the woman who had surgery, Jay Leno), a rape joke that made me cringe, and...oh fun, more pointless Meg bashing.

A meandering, empty story and far more bad jokes than good equal to a D, or 2/5.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Boat on a track Train on the Water's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vince23 View Post
    My conspiracy theory. By Vincent Cannata.
    I contend that THIS was just an attempt to see how many people download "Surfin' Bird" after watching this show.
    It was like if a WHOLE SIMPSONS episode featured 'the rake bit'.
    I feel as if the song was being unleashed to the 21 and younger crowd. The same was "Full Metal Jacket" did for the previous one, and like "Dr. Demento" did for mine!
    It's a way to prove the power of the show. Can anyone check and see if the song makes the iTunes downloading charts, or where ever 'the kids' go to get music these days?
    It's #55 as of October 7. I saw it and said out loud, "Seriously?!" God, the person even sings it the exact same way Peter did.

Quote Originally Posted by E-I-E-I-Moe View Post
    It's #55 as of October 7. I saw it and said out loud, "Seriously?!" God, the person even sings it the exact same way Peter did.
    When I mentioned on another chat room the other places where the song 'gets play', someone reminded me that it was also in "Pink Flamingoes"!!!!
    HOW COULD I FORGET THAT?!?!?!?!
    If you've never seen HOW they use the song, I suggest you check it out!

Pin Pal

How did Marlee Matlin hear the moviefone prompts?
    my political compass (politicalcompass.org)
    Economic Left/Right: -6.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.25

The Triple G Man

These Office Space printer scene parodies need to stop. Why the fuck do so many of you like them? It worked in the movie but it's just too slow and simple to work as a parody. Once you see the first second of it you know exactly where it's going and that it's going to last forever. Plus, that radio edit is cringeworthy.

Junior Camper

this episode was a waste of my time they ran the surfing bird gag so much!!!! not funny!!!! worst episode of family guy this season so far hands down!!!

Thread Information