View Poll Results: What did you think of "1600 Candles"?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5- Why is Family Guy more popular again?

4 20.00%
  • 4/5

12 60.00%
  • 3/5

4 20.00%
  • 2/5

0 0%
  • 1/5- Damn it, you tricked me! This sucked!

0 0%

Thread: Rate/Review American Dad "1600 Candles"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate/Review American Dad "1600 Candles"

Everyone's favorite underrated animated sitcom is back! (note: if you saw AD once in 2005, you might want to check it out again, it's gotten pretty damn good) Here's the episode plot:

The Smiths' plans to celebrate Roger's 1,600th birthday are sidetracked when Steve announces that he's finally going through puberty. Ever fearful of the thought of a Steve with raging hormones, Stan and Francine try to bypass the pains of having another teenager with experimental medicine.
    Sounds like a winner...I hope...

A solid American Dad episode, though it felt like what we've seen before in the series. Still enjoyable, though.

[and as we all know, a forest of pubes signals virility in a man]

another good one. totally agreed with Homer5000 on this one, American Dad is tied with KOTH in my book as currently best Fox Cartoon.

Blog Entries

Liked it more than FamGuy but not as much as the Simpsons,.. Which is pretty much the norm

Well, well, with disappointment after disappointment, we finally got to American Dad. Which turned out to be the best episode of the night. It was an interesting high concept episode and had a great twist, along with some hilarious laughs. (the end had me rolling) Unfortunately, it wasn't a total slam dunk like some episodes were. (the third act slightly dragged and Roger's birthday anguish wasn't nearly as funny as it could have been)

4/5. I'm hoping next week's lineup is more consistently good like this...

EDIT: Just remembered, anyone dig the new opening? I actually preferred the newspaper gag, but change is always welcome...

King of the Rock Bottom The Sovereign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

5/5

one of the best episodes of AD that i've seen, laughed all the way through

This immediately erased the bad aftertaste from the Family Guy episode.

Best part was past incidents with Hayley's periods.

I don't know if Steve's growth will stay, but it would be nice if it did, just a little.

3.5/5

King of the Rock Bottom The Sovereign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Semaj View Post
    This immediately erased the bad aftertaste from the Family Guy episode.

Best part was past incidents with Hayley's periods.

I don't know if Steve's growth will stay, but it would be nice if it did, just a little.

3.5/5
    well...he did LOSE the pube...

American Dad has gotten really good lately at telling its stories, no matter how insane the stories are. Things like pacing and staying focused are almost never an issue with this show in the last year or so. This episode is no exception. Despite how ridiculously insane the story is, I became more involved with it by far than what The Simpsons offered. There was also a bit of emotional backbone to the story involving Francine wanting Steve to stay her baby forever (this recurring idea is great and gives Francine some sympathy, and adds more of a family dynamic). I thought it was pretty hilarious how Steve kept feeling the need to flash his junk at the whole family at the dinner table.

The Roger story in this one was a bit useless and didn't amount to much. It just served more as an ongoing back joke. Yet for some reason they decided to name the episode after this plot? Whatever.

4/5

PS: I didn't like the new AD opening credits. Seemed pretty stiff to me.
    Signature.

Same here, I give it a solid 4/5. My favorite parts were Haley's flashbacks. But I agree, Rogers part could've been much better.

I also didn't like the new opening credits.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

I still don't like this show as much as most of NHC, but the episode wasn't bad and had its redeeming points. As mentioned, the storyline flowed well and stayed focused, and the ending was particularly satisfying. I liked the new credits as well.

But I just can't really enjoy American Dad much because I find the characters so grating. I might be alone on this, but I think Steve Smith is almost always practically unbearable in his obnoxiousness. The fish and alien have improved since the early episodes, though, and feel less like lame one-trick ponies now. The story was solid but since I couldn't relate to or care about the characters at all, it lessened the impact significantly. The other major issue I had with the episode was that it just wasn't very funny--I only got a handful of chuckles out of it and a few too many gags just felt cheap.

Even so, not a bad showing and definitely better than Family Guy has been lately.

C/C+, 3/5
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Blog Entries

I liked how silly the story was. It fits. It's cartoony and made me laugh at times.

I remember going (at the pube in the air) "If someone chokes on it I'm never watching this show again." Thankfully, it was a fine gag to end on.

5/5

i enjoyed the new beginning but prefer the newspaper gag

Thread Information