View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
237. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 You were incredible... (gasps) I hope the kids didn't hear us

30 12.66%
  • 4/5 What's so unappealing about your elderly father talk about sex?

98 41.35%
  • 3/5 I never dated anyone who knew Calvin Coolidge

70 29.54%
  • 2/5 Uh, I'm not a pie-man

27 11.39%
  • 1/5 Your tail was waggling!

12 5.06%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review "Sex, Pies, and Idiot Scrapes" (KABF17)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Rate & Review "Sex, Pies, and Idiot Scrapes" (KABF17)

Watch the episode here!

So, the Simpsons are at it again: Season 20 starts!

HOMER THE BOUNTY HUNTER TRACKS DOWN CRIMINALS ON "THE SIMPSONS" SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, ON FOX

Robert Forster ("Jackie Brown") and Joe Mantegna Make Guest Voice Appearances
    Homer is sent to jail after a haphazard, booze-free brawl at the Springfield St. Patrick's Day parade. When he goes to get his bail bond, Homer meets Lucky Jim (guest voice Forster) and Wolf the Bounty Hunter and decides to try his own hand at the lucrative profession. The new-and-improved Homer the Bounty Hunter soon teams up with Ned Flanders to create quite the unlikely bounty-hunting duo, but when Homer's new no-mercy attitude gets the best of him, Flanders is less than impressed. Meanwhile, unbeknownst to her, Marge begins working at an erotic bakery in the "Sex, Pies and Idiot Scrapes" season premiere episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, Sept. 28 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SI-1917) (TV-14 D, L, S, V)"

Last edited by sung; 09-28-2008 at 04:38 PM.
    calmer than you are

Blog Entries

Uh...poll?
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by homer5000 View Post
    Uh...poll?
    The thread gets posted first during the process of adding the poll options; so, there's one now. 5 minutes till episode starts...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
    The thread gets posted first during the process of adding the poll options; so, there's one now. 5 minutes till episode starts...
    Ah, you were taking your time, I see, I see...

...uh, see you East Coasters in three hours...

Junior Camper

"As the salad said to the soup, I'm all mixed up"
    - Ned Flanders circa 2008

very over the top, but extremely FUN and FUNNY. Though it was fantastic, great job to the writing staff for making it feel... new?

4/5

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Nice couch gag.

First act
    The green river thing was pretty bad.
    Oh boy, listing things. Same old, same old.
    Lisa is pretty bad so far, singing an unaltered song for longer than a few seconds is just lazy writing.
    What was the point of getting a guest star for the role of the bail bondsman? It was so short and unspectacular
    What was the point of bringing in Julia Louis-Dreyfus for one line? It was so short and unfunny.
    Wolf the Bounty Hunter was okay, but it would have been nice if they would have given him more character.

So far, it's okay. Pretty much a par for the course season 19 episode, lot's of time filling and one-liners, a few good jokes. The St. Patrick's Day stuff was pretty bad, but the second half of the act made up for it. 2.5/5

Second act
    Homer trying to kill Snake was pretty bad.
    Wow, Homer said d'oh. It's been a while.
    So far, so good with the erotic bakery subplot. The Dr. Hibbert joke wasn't as great as that reviewer said it was.
    Their first wanted criminal was Sideshow Bob, nice touch.
    Nice to see an AC/DC reference.
    Why can't they have Flanders without giving him a line like "that's harder swallow than evolution" any more?
    The Skinner and Chalmers bit was pretty good. Predictible, but good.
    Wow, Homer and Flanders splitting could have been so much better, just having them split over something so minor?
    Oh joy, Homer trying to smother himself in a plastic bag.

I'm not sure how to judge this one so far. It wasn't particularily funny, but it hasn't been bad either. The subplot has been better so far I would say, but it was nice to see some Flanders/Homer bonding. 2.5/5.

Third act
    "Mr. Smithers commitment ceremony"? Sigh.
    Nice designs on the other bounty hunters.
    Nice chase scene between Homer and Ned with some pretty good visual gags. I'm pretty sure there have to be some parodies in there.
    I enjoyed the Batman parody scene
    Homer's expression while Flanders was reciting the bible was pretty funny, but the scene went on for too long.

Overall, an okay episode. Not really that funny, but it had some enjoyable gags and the stuff with Flanders and Homer was fun. The bakery subplot could have used a better ending than the one it had. Overall: 3/5.

Couch Gag 5/5
    Hillarius, loved it, I love Star Wars, and well Boba Fett!!!

Irish? But it's September, kinda out of place...

those lepercauns seem kinda out of place

is that song a reference to a movie or something? or just them singing an irish song

Yey for Snake again!

AHH HOMER DO A MATRIX!!!

commercial

Wow, I didn't see that coming! Nice doing the unexpected (in other words, thanks for not doing a matrix)

Marge's bakery reminds me of the cake my friend's girlfriend made him for his birthday. here's a pic

Sideshow Bob!!

awesome song! Dirty Deeds done dirt cheap!

no don't split up!

commercial

lol, funny chase scene

aww I liked the ending

other then the beginning Irish thing I loved this episode, 4/5

Pin Pal

Besides A few parts in the episode, it was pretty good.

4/5

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The first two acts were midly amusing but the overly cartoony third act was one of the worst in the show's history. Overall, I felt like I was watching a lost Season 12 episode and that's not a compliment.

2/5, or D

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Blog Entries

Wow, what a way to start the season! There was not a single joke that I didn't like! It was fasted-paced, had some great jokes, and a funny sub-plot!

Overall: 5/5!

PS: Did you see who escaped at the end?

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

I really liked the Homer/Ned duo, I loved Homer's line about withholding sexy cake, but the cake sub-plot was pretty sub-par

anyways, not too bad for a season premiere, and funnier than anything from last season

4/5
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

..Best show of the 20th season! It filled the empty "new episode" slot in my life that reruns cant hold a candle to!
    5/5

The first part with the whole Irish Parade thing wasn't very good but other than that the whole episode was great. I give it a 4/5! I LOOOOVED the Erotic Bakery storyline that is a good idea for people's birthday's and special erotic parties/events..haha!

It felt like a great post modern Simpsons episode. I'll be back later for proper criticism after the Western showing.

Roger Waters Orthopedic Shoes Fat Psychopathic Wife's Avatar

That was fucking horrifying. Who wrote this anyway?

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

They seriously need to cut the fuck out with the unrelated beginnings. Way back whenever, they were done very nicely and quickly - now, it's just... depressingly lame (what the hell was up with Lisa? What... what was that? Everything to do with St. Patrick's Day was just absolutely horrible beyond belief). It went on for way too long and that time could have definitely been far better used to show Homer and Ned bonding, or why it would've hurt for them to have broken their partnership, or anything like that. Just like... Have the drunken St. Patrick's Day festival, don't waste so much time by having everyone loving each other for no reason and then spontaneously break out into a riot, just have the riot start and... just... like, don't waste so much time on it.

Still - I enjoyed it. Flanders was extremely well-portrayed for nowadays. The evolution line wasn't so bad - it was one line that hardly detracted from the episode. He and Homer partnered up in pretty much exactly the way I was expecting, so that was pretty nice to see, too - it made sense (well, what Flanders was doing in a back alley like that didn't make as much sense but... oh well). There were a couple of good gags with the two of them together, like Flanders ringing the doorbell and Homer jumping off of the roof and completely missing them.

It was actually really sweet to see Homer and Ned bond and genuinely enjoy each other's company, but I think we should have seen a little more of them bounty hunting together with increasingly reckless behaviour from Homer - what he did was pretty extreme, but if we'd seen an increasing build up for it, that probably would have made the split far more effective. (The plastic bag jokes were... stupid. It really only sortaworked that one time with Snake.)

I enjoyed the chase scene at the end, though - it was pretty crazy but it was really fun to watch with some good gags in there and some pretty nice shots on occasion. And it's really, really nice to see Homer not going into cartoonishly horrible levels and actually being human and helping Flanders out. Plus the overall ending was really sweet - Marge's subplot wasn't poorly done at all.

The complete lack of Bart and Lisa was kinda... ehh, though. And bringing back Gloria did seem kind of pointless... really, same with Fat Tony. I mean, I don't know, the episode would have taken a completely different direction from the way I'm seeing it but I think we could have had a lot more of him... ah.

I end up rating a lot of new episodes 4/5 and this one isn't going to be an exception. Definitely some faults (very painful beginning, a little less humour than I would've liked), but Homer and Ned together was done very nicely and it was an entertaining watch all the same.

I liked Hulk and Thing fighting, but not the callbacks.

EDIT: And oh yeah, Ned was much more in good character.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAaronB View Post
    That was fucking horrifying. Who wrote this anyways?
    Kevin Curran. Lance Kramer directed.

Homer Mad Homer Smash

My Rating: 4/5

Didn't really like the couch gag -- went to quick. Probably have to watch it again to really get a good laugh out of it.

The green river bit was predictable, but I enjoyed the fighting Irish bits. Though this is Sept. -- I ain't Irish, but isn't St. Patrick's Day in March 17?!?!?!

It was cute to see Maggie doing more than just sucking on her pacifier and falling over -- that fight scene was funny. I thought Lisa's singing was out of character -- and it didn't sound like Yeardly Smith's voice -- did they get a voice double for the song?

When Homer was chasing Spike it was okay -- I thought it was a cheap shot how they brought in Ned with the bullet-proof glass.

The joke about a cake of Dr. Hebert's penis was hilarious -- I was rolling on the floor on that one. Though the thought of Patty and Selma getting off on erotic cakes was pretty disturbing.

Skinner and Chalmers having to eat until their lips touched -- funny, but just as disturbing.

It's interesting how every season they have episodes where Homer and Ned become pals, and they also have ones where Homer hates "stupid Flanders." Usually the ones where Homer hates Ned are better, but this episode was pretty good.

The bounty hunters were well done -- did you notice the bear was the same one that Homer saved from the hunters in the episode when he made the bear suit?

Loved the chase scene between Ned and Homer -- and all the movie/television show references -- The Matrix, Batman, Spiderman.

I was thinking -- and maybe hoping? -- that Marge had baked an erotic cake of herself for Homer, but hey this is a family show.

Not a bad start to the season!
    OfficerWriter

did any one notice the simpsons game reference when homer and ned are jumping on the planets at the planetarium.
    tonights episode was a nice change and had some good gags. ill give it a 4/5

Quote Originally Posted by McClure View Post
    Kevin Curran.
    according to wiki he also did the voice of buck the dog on married with children

I was pleasently surprised with MOST of this episode. The only part I wasn't too crazy about would have to be the whole St.Patricks day parade. I think the episode got a lot better when Ned Flanders came in. Excellent Season 20 Premiere! Mostly because it was fun, and very enjoyable to watch.

4.3/5

Also, I liked how the ending was sweet.

pretty iffy. Reminded me of Homer The Vigilante and Homer vs. the 18th Commandment. There were some laughs, but for the most part very meh, as expected. I really dug the Jackie Brown references though.
    Last edited by James L. Brookes; 09-28-2008 at 05:11 PM.

There was a few moments that made me laugh out loud...though it's all a blur now. But I do remember a few vague things I noticed:

-Two guest characters, Fat Tony and Sideshow Bob, seen but not really heard (odd that Joe Mantegna was credited for a few grunts and gasps)

-Yet again putting outrageous characters into canon episodes (damn leprachauns and Marvel hero parodies!)

-And now I've forgotten what I was saying.

[all in all, I enjoyed it like a fairly young grandfather]

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Another year, another season of The Simpsons.

This episode was pretty much what I was expecting. Oddly, I have to disagree with Jake's previous comment about two pretty good first acts and a bad latter act. I thought the third act was the stand-out of the episode, with a fun over-the-top chase sequence that I felt (while it was obviously silly) was a good climax to the story and well-directed besides.

What I didn't like in the episode started with the very first line--the green river thing made me chuckle, but AS ALWAYS, someone (Burns in this case) spells out the gag entirely. Couldn't they have just settled for a quick pan to the power plant or something? The rest of the Irish gags were typically hit-or-miss (with more misses than anything), although I enjoyed The Thing vs. Hulk. I agree with the sentiment that the unrelated first act has gotten old. At the very least, they can link certain themes or something to the rest of the show (like mentioned, have Homer interact with Ned some). As is, it's like every episode is 16 minutes long, with 6 extra minutes of an unrelated tangent.

That out of the way, the rest of the show wasn't bad. Marge's subplot didn't have as many tacky gags as I was expecting, and the "It's his penis!" "That's EXACTLY what I was thinking!" admittedly made me laugh. Marge and Homer's characterizations were decent, although Homer bordered on over-the-top a few times (plastic bag stuff). I really did like Ned's characterization, and while the evolution line was sort of typical Jean Ned, it wasn't too bad, considering. Plus, the rest of his lines and actions made up for it. Liked seeing him at the Leftorium and linking that story into the main plot, and the story actually ended on a pretty sweet note with the Homer/Ned interaction and Marge's final inoffensive cake.

The gags were sort of lacking and the first act meandered, but a good ending and a nice Homer/Ned dynamic lifts the episode in my eyes and makes it good enough for a passing grade of B-/B.

On a side note--I've noticed a few details in this episode that, if they pan out, really raise my spirits for the season. Sideshow Bob is briefly seen breaking out of jail, and Gloria is pregnant. We know that Grammer returns this season, so I really like the foreshadowing (assuming that's what it is and not just a quick gag). Same with Gloria. So yeah, I'd love to see more small interconnections between the episodes like that--I think it'd bring a little life into the show and make the season feel more cohesive.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

man this place is dead. The negative atmosphere here is finally getting to people.

Quote Originally Posted by BatofZion View Post
    -Two guest characters, Fat Tony and Sideshow Bob, seen but not really heard (odd that Joe Mantegna was credited for a few grunts and gasps)
    When Joe Mantegna first guest-starred, he insisted that if Fat Tony so much as coughed, he wanted to do it. He was still on it, so I could see why they credited him.

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    We know that Grammer returns this season, so I really like the foreshadowing (assuming that's what it is and not just a quick gag).
    I saw it as a gag at how many times he's just broken out, but yeah if it was some foreshadowing that would be cool.

Also I was surprised at how LITTLE of a jerk Homer was to Ned in this. just in general. Even compared to the old ones.

Schweeet cakes!

4/5

A very good episode to start Season 20! Pretty good start; I thought the 2nd act was a little weak; but the last part, esp. Ned running after Homer and the homage to Batman, was the best, IMO! I luv the quote by Homer "Marge, I can see you withholding sex or withholding cake but withholding sexy cake..." (I had to rewind to write it down LOL) I also liked the reference to their recent Emmy win (when Homer jumped into the limo and came out with an Emmy, saying "Woohoo") and it was a nice touch to see Fat Tony and Sideshow Bob in this episode.

Oh, did anyone else think Snake's voice was a bit off?
    "You mean it's not Maggaggie's birthday?" -Homer

Thread Information