View Poll Results: How would you rate "All About Lisa"?

Voters
212. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Entertainer of the Year

50 23.58%
  • 4/5

82 38.68%
  • 3/5

43 20.28%
  • 2/5

26 12.26%
  • 1/5: Krimpy Little Show Monkey!

11 5.19%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "All About Lisa" (KABF13)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "All About Lisa" (KABF13)

Airs May 18, 2008 (Season Finale)

Lisa becomes Krusty the Clown's new assistant and soon steals the spotlight and gets her own television show, leaving Krusty behind. But when she’s honored as Entertainer of the Year at the Springfield Media Awards, she realizes that the she may not be cut out for showbiz after all. Meanwhile, Bart and Homer spend some time bonding through their newfound love of coin-collecting. Guest starring Drew Carey.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Blog Entries

Wow. Two minutes into the east coast airing? Must be a record. Back in the day, not only would R&R threads be created (and closed until) a good day prior to airing, but people would try to jump the gun and make them days beforehand.

Now, boarders go, "wait, there's a new Simpsons tonight"? Eh, whatever. Let's get set for "Lisa Gets Famous"-- I mean, "All About Lisa"...
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

where is everyone? it worries me when the simpsons has a season finale and only 40 people are on this board. there should be about 140 ppl on here right now commenting on every joke that has been said so far.

Junior Camper

Pretty average, probably a little below, even. There was just far too much Krusty for my taste. There's only so much that I can take of his voice in one half hour. I enjoyed the B-story much more than the main one.

2/5

4/5. Has it's problems, but it was firing fast, and more jokes landed than didn't. The story was fresh and different than Bart Gets Famous. I liked it. Reminded me a little bit of Fraudcast News.

Pin Pal

One of the best of season. I really liked the Homer and Bart plot.

5/5

Homer and Bart were very funny, the other story, not so much. But the conclusion was fine.
    4/5

"Objection, your honor!"

Blog Entries

Yeah, I really liked this episode! I really dug the plot and I liked this more than "Bart gets Famous." Normally I don't like any story that is told in 'reverse', but everything flowed together very well and Mel wasn't annoying as he normally is.

No real complaints and I liked this the best of the Season.

An easy 5/5.

This sentence is a lie. Elkwood's Avatar

Meh. Lisa's plot could've been done WAY better. It didn't feel too out of character, but nothing she did or said really felt like things that only she specifically would do. I was also hoping to see her make sophisticated entertainment like Sideshow Bob did after Krusty went to jail in Krusty Gets Busted.

2/5
    Critics are raving over Maggie's Toilet Training!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Maggie's toilet training is the smash hit fan-fic of the season! Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by James L. Brookes View Post
    iMuy Excellente! This has really been capturing the feel of classic Simpsons wackyness!

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I really dug the plot and I liked this more than "Bart gets Famous."
    Wait, say what? I mean, I know everyone's entitled to their opinion, and I'm not about to start listing reasons why you're "wrong". But are you sure?

Not too shabby. The season finales are always disappointing, but at least this was a solid episode. Lots of Sideshow Mel is good, and the subplot was strong. The episode had two fatal flaws, however:

1. Lisa isn't inherently funny. Why is she a clown all of a sudden?

2. The main plot was really a bit too similar to that of Bart Gets Famous for the first 5-10 minutes or so. Thankfully, it went in a different (albeit strange) direction.

This was balanced by many funny jokes, however, so it wasn't bad. 3.5/5. Not sure what I'll give it on the poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Universal Polymath View Post
    Wait, say what? I mean, I know everyone's entitled to their opinion, and I'm not about to start listing reasons why you're "wrong". But are you sure?
    Yeah, this ^. Bart Gets Famous started with the box factory for God's sakes!

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Very, very, VERY well done. My third A+ of the season, glad it went out so nicely. (For the record, post-classic A+'s for me basically mean the story was engaging throughout the whole episode with little to no awkward moments and I actually laughed at least a few times. This one had that.)

A slew of good jokes, including "Objection, Your Honour!", Bart and Homer's minor disagreement, Krusty's agent climbing right in with him to the hottub... Very, very solid and nicely flowing storytelling that wasn't overly reminiscient of Bart Gets Famous.

I really don't have much else to say about this one, actually. Just that it was funny (although I recall the first act being a little low on jokes, but the second and third did provide some laughs), the story was great, Mel was very well used, some very beautiful looking animation and well directed bits, and the entire episode had me engaged. The only moment that made me cringe was Mel's dramatic sobbing at the end but shit, I can live with that. Beautiful season-closer, great characterization with Lisa, Bart, and Homer... just a treat to watch. Looking forward to the rewatch, which hasn't happened for a while.

4/5 Nice season finale

ending felt rushed, but other than that I'm tempted to say this was the best of the season. I actually laughed out loud 4 or 5 times, which is really rare for a new episode. 5/5

I laughed, I cried, I made love, I laughed, I cried. It was an opus. An epic Simpsons that rang of Shakespeare, Dante and Dostoevsky. A true exploration of the comedic tragedy.

I think Ruggiero Leoncavallo said it best in Pagliacci

- Thou art not a man, thou’rt but a jester!
    On with the motley, and the paint, and the powder!
    The people pay thee, and want their laugh, you know!
    If Harlequin thy Columbine has stolen, laugh Punchinello!
    The world will cry, "Bravo!"

I weep...I...weep...

5/5
    You may remember me from such educational films as : 'Supercolliders and You - Stop, Drop and Evaporate' and 'So the Universe is about to Implode' and 'Dark Matter - It's Not Just For Nightmares Anymore'.

Roger Waters Orthopedic Shoes Fat Psychopathic Wife's Avatar

Um, who wrote this? Because...

5/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Universal Polymath View Post
    I liked Lisa's rise to fame as it seemed to come from real talent rather than a silly catch phrase / fad. B.G.F wasn't a bad episode by any means, it AAL had more depth, IMO.

Blog Entries

Since Lisa kinds of annoys me at times, I wasn't to thrilled when I heard the title. However, when I heard the description, I started to like it better. Then when I saw the episode, I loved it! I like it better than Bart Gets Famous, who stars my second favorite character. I can't really think of anything wrong with this episode. The subplot didn't have any relevence, but it was enjoyable enough that I didn't care.
    5/5

PS: It's nice to have a Krusty episode again after a long wait.

Homer Mad Homer Smash

My rating: 4/5.

I really enjoyed tonight's episode, it had some humour, and it was nice to see Homer and Bart drawn closer together by a simple collection of coins.

Things that worked for me:

The couch gag was funny
    The appearance of Mr. Plopper was quick and funny.
    Nelson's audition.
    Ralph's audition.
    Lisa discovering Sideshow Mel's true identity.
    Homer's comment on the two-faced coin.
    Homer's clever quip which got Mr. Burns to give him the coin.

I liked this episode and I'm sad that we won't see anymore episodes until next season. Oh no! Simpson's withdrawal! I've already got the shakes. . .
    OfficerWriter

"Like life, coin-collecting stopped being fun a long time ago."

Great line.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Not bad, nothing spectacular though. Lisa, Bart and Homer all seemed out of character. Some of the narration jokes were pretty good. However, a lot fell flat, such as a lot of the stuff in the first act and Drew Carey seemed like a pretty pointless guest star.

Who wrote and directed?

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

John Frink wrote it.

I really don't know what to say, but this one is probably the season's best, at the very least in the top 5. A couple of jokes missed their mark (e.g.- Jimbo, Krusty as an 8 year old), but as one poster said, they were firing pretty quick in this one. The story was interesting, and the use of Sideshow Mel was quite possibly the best they have ever used him in the series.

The subplot was great, too, and was probably better than the main plot for the short time that it had. CBG and Mr. Burns felt like they were ripped out of season 6 and put into the episode. Homer quite possibly had some of the best lines he has EVER had, i.e.- about hobbies being used as something to waste time.

A huge pick-me-up after last week's episode.

5/5, A/A-

This epidode was Krusty-tastic! So much Krusty in so little time. I was in Sideshow heaven the whole time. Bart funneled his Krusty woes into a new hobby,.. good for him! And to make the pot sweeter, they threw in a little bit of Moe, CBG & Mr Burns to boot. I don't expect this much nice entertainment, I've done Nothing to deserve it, yet there it is.
    I thought the voices were a bit off tonight. Not really, I have to fake at least one complaint otherwise folks here will think I'm somekinda Simpson lovin' mutant. It makes me sad knowing that this is goodbye for the summer. I always get a little melancholy after the season ender. bidding my favorite family and town a fond farewell till next season. If parting makes the heart grow fonder, then I'll be double glad when they return next fall. Hurry back! 5/5

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by I can see your Doodle View Post
    Drew Carey seemed like a pretty pointless guest star.
    Wow, I couldn't agree more! In fact, I kind of forgot he was even in the episode, until just now.

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I can see your Doodle View Post
    Not bad, nothing spectacular though. Lisa, Bart and Homer all seemed out of character.
    That was the best Homer has been in a LONG time. Not sure how you could disagree.

And I thought Drew Carey was really funny as well. I was actually shocked at how funny he was because usually I don't like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Xt'Tapalatakettle View Post
    That was the best Homer has been in a LONG time. Not sure how you could disagree.
    This is true. Homer was in great form tonight.

Lisa's characterization was solid until she became a star. After that...

And you know...the long shots were really well done. The use of pan and zoom was very seamless, adding that little extra something.

Bravo

Quote Originally Posted by SilverEagle View Post
    This is true. Homer was in great form tonight.

Lisa's characterization was solid until she became a star. After that...
    agreed, but I like it when Lisa goes over the edge. When she gives in to the dark side of her human nature...she's quite passive aggressive.

Electrified Fooling Machine Mindy Simmons's Avatar

5/5

Wow! Way to finish the season strong. Every time I think I've seen the best episode the season will offer, I'm impressed by another one.
    This episode has no real flaws that I can think of. The humor and pacing were on par with the material from the series' best seasons. This is how you make use of 22 minutes. Interesting that the episodes revolving around Lisa have been the best this year.
    Excellent season finale, and this is coming from someone who has never finished "All About Eve."
    Dramatization: May not have happened.

Thread Information